ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling stories

FurdTerguson

Sophomore
Jan 9, 2009
How many of you ever went down to Louisville Gardens or somewhere else to see pro wrestling? I went a few times in the early 80s when Jerry Lawler and Bill Dundee were the good guys and they rotated bad guys in, usually managed by Jimmy Hart.

One time a friend of mine flung some ice from his drink at the New Zealand Sheepherders and got us tossed. Suddenly we're in a completely empty back parking lot thinking it wasn't so funny.

How many of you ever went down to Louisville Gardens or somewhere else to see pro wrestling? I went a few times in the early 80s when Jerry Lawler and Bill Dundee were the good guys and they rotated bad guys in, usually managed by Jimmy Hart.

One time a friend of mine flung some ice from his drink at the New Zealand Sheepherders and got us tossed. Suddenly we're in a completely empty back parking lot thinking it wasn't so funny.
When I was young I was into the Memphis wrestling scene big time. Had a fella in my neighborhood growing up that was a wrestler. His name was Bill Kiper and he's in the wrestling HOF. He used to show us kids some of his moves out in the yard. I think he may have wrestled for a spell with those Memphis guys.

I delivered pizza's for Pizza Hut in high school, and quite often to the home where Savage and a few others stayed on the north side of Lex. They would wrestle at Henry Clay gym during the week and then head off to Memphis and other places trying to break thru.

Most of them worked out during those days at Sin The sports complex on Richmond Rd when it was in business.

I have told this in the wrestling thread but my friend worked at a Long John Silvers in high school which was across the street from the local National Guard building back in the early 80's. He was at work one day when their was going to be wrestling at the Armory and Macho Man walked across the street to eat at the Long Johns. Of course at that time he hadn't made it big so it wasn't a big deal until a few years later when saw him on WWF. He said the funniest thing was hearing him ordering a Fish and More in his Macho Man voice. 🤣

Last edited:
I bet those guys loved it when they got to turn heel now and then. I remember Lawler, Dundee and Mantel all going to the dark side at least once.

Saw Lawler, Dundee, Handsome Jimmy Valiant (my all-time favorite), Nick Bockwinkle, Wildfire Tommy Rich, etc. wrestle in Memorial Coliseum (IIRC). Religiously watched Lance Russell and Dave Brown on Saturday mornings with the Memphis wrestling show. I think I attended a live show 3 or 4 times. I remember Dundee turning heel when he hit Lawler with a chain, who, of course, acted like he'd never get up and had died right then and there. Good times!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT