ADVERTISEMENT

Would you say Anthony Davis was the best player to play under Cal

Yes. When you can control a game by just going out and blocking shots and blocking those shots inbounds by tapping them to your own team you're doing something that not everyone can do. Davis could altar a game like nobody's business.

You really don’t need an agenda to point out that Cal’s only title came from a team with AD on it.
Cal probably wins another had he not run into the buzzsaw that was 96 UK. However, that one would've been yanked.

That was such a good 2nd half game. UMass actually outscored us. But both teams put up 40+ in that second half.

Reactions: chroix
Yes, but his year was a super down year in college basketball.
There were no other teams even close by the end of the year.

Was it super down or was that UK team just head and shoulders better than everyone that year? That Kansas team from 2012 was much better than the Kansas team that just cut down the nets in 2022

Last edited:
Was it super down or was that UK team just head and shoulders better than everyone that year? That Kansas team from 2012 was much better than the Kansas team that just cut down the nets this past year.
I think super down... that KU team had one average pro (McLemore) and a bunch of role players. And they beat a terrible Ohio State team (that was tops [record-wise] in the big 10). The past KU championship had Braun who played a significant part in an NBA championship, Obaji (sp?) who is as good a pro as McClemore, and Wilson (also arguably a down year in the NCAA).
I was in New Orleans... we were never tested... and we've had previous teams (that didn't ever cut down the nets) that would have given us fits.

Super down year? Seriously?

We had to beat KU, a very good UofL team, an upstart Baylor and a upset minded Iowa State. Not to mention a decent IU team. UNC and Syarcuse were solid 1 seeds. Michigan State was also very good that year.

I will cede that there was a large gap between the really good teams and the not good teams that year. But that gap was narrowed quickly in the first group.

I think super down... that KU team had one average pro (McLemore) and a bunch of role players. And they beat a terrible Ohio State team (that was tops [record-wise] in the big 10). The past KU championship had Braun who played a significant part in an NBA championship, Obaji (sp?) who is as good a pro as McClemore, and Wilson (also arguably a down year in the NCAA).
I was in New Orleans... we were never tested... and we've had previous teams (that didn't ever cut down the nets) that would have given us fits.
We were never tested much as we were that good. UofL did give us a bit of a game and KU tried to make a run at us in the 2nd half of that title game.

I mean overcome Cal’s poor coaching to actually win the NC. And Cal nearly let Kansas come back and steal that game until MKG saved him with a block.

Wall should've won a title. We ran into a beer muscles WVU that night that couldn't miss from beyond the arc. We just couldn't buy a bucket.

Booker got roofered with the rest of us. But I will give Cal some blame for stall ball against Whisky. We had to be perfect though to beat the roofer.

While here no doubt. As a pro it starts getting debatable. You want AD or Murray? AD or Booker?

Go back and look at the 2011-12 Kansas roster. I think you are confused.

Yes because he was the only player to ever overcome his inept coaching.
John Wall, Demarcus Cousins, Jamal Murray, Devin Booker, Derrick Rose, and others couldn’t do it.
Rose did it, and many others as well. Rose’s team had that game won a couple FT’s and a lucky shot prevented that. Randle and the Twins did too. Also the Roofer cost us 3 huge games in 2015 perfection, and 2017 was playing as well as anyone. We would have won it IMO had we beaten UNC and their luckbox Mayes BS and Roofer nonsense!

• Angry
Reactions: Cowtown Cat
What do you mean it had nothing to do with Cal? 😂.

Cal’s name is in the question my guy. When wondering who or who may not have an agenda, sometimes the answer lies within one’s mirror.
It’s about the best player under the current coach. Absolutely nothing to do with coaching. About a player I swear people read crap into stuff all the time. If you have read my posts in the past I’m not a fan and could care less who the coach is. But this question clearly asks about a player until you needed to change it. You’re being defensive and assuming way to much.

Rose did it, and many others as well. Rose’s team had that game won a couple FT’s and a lucky shot prevented that. Randle and the Twins did too. Also the Roofer cost us 3 huge games in 2015 perfection, and 2017 was playing as well as anyone. We would have won it IMO had we beaten UNC and their luckbox Mayes BS and Roofer nonsense!
Yep. It’s a damn shame. How much different Cal’s time here would look if we could take out that one constant in those losses: Higgins. I’ve been as down on Cal as anyone the last 4/5 years, but anyone looking at things objectively can see that Higgins single handedly cost us some extremely important NCAAT games. It’s disgusting.

Sorry but how is this even a thread.... Davis is considered the best UK player of all time. I know there is some old guys still clamoring for Dan Issel but really a thread on this LOL

I literally have to take out Anthony Davis out of my UK drafts due to how dominate he was. He's essentially the Michael Jordan of Kentucky basketball

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Yep. It’s a damn shame. How much different Cal’s time here would look if we could take out that one constant in those losses: Higgins. I’ve been as down on Cal as anyone the last 4/5 years, but anyone looking at things objectively can see that Higgins single handedly cost us some extremely important NCAAT games. It’s disgusting.
No doubt, Cal would have at least 2 and maybe 3 ships.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT