ADVERTISEMENT

Post Cal hypothetical

Skyguyb27

Junior
Feb 12, 2008
If Cal was indeed fired in the next few weeks what is your thoughts on excitement next year? Would you be back to all in and emotionally invested or will Cal take awhile to shake off before you become excited again?

If Cal was indeed fired in the next few weeks what is your thoughts on excitement next year? Would you be back to all in and emotionally invested or will Cal take awhile to shake off before you become excited again?
If he’s going to be let go then it needs to happen sooner rather than later because you will need to find a coach and then work on building a roster for next season.

I guess my level of excitement would depend on who the hire is but more than likely I would be all in just like I was when he was hired to replace BCG. If they were to just settle and be another Gillispie, then it is just pissing in the wind.

If idiot Barney is making the decision it’s gonna be rough. If it’s a committee of former players that’s a different issue. We bring in sweaty Bruce or pitino I would be massive excited. Also think an exciting coach could convince reed to stick around.

I think the apathy has set in for me. I've tried to not let it, but the slow devolving of our program has left it's mark. I'll at least watch. One of the reasons why I continued to give Cal the benefit of the doubt for so long is I don't see a current coach out there that I think we have a shot at bringing in that's gonna be a slamdunk hire.

The best coaches are already entrenched at destination jobs. Let's see who we can pull in and gauge the excitement from there I guess.

Cal needs to be fired but make no mistakes if it is not a 100% home run hire UK basketball is screwed. Every contributor from this year is gone and next years crop of mercenaries will ask for their release with a new coach. Cal has not, nor has he ever, built a sustainable program. The next coach is going to have to be a home run to be able to bring in 10 new guys to start over.

Anyone think Mitch can do that? I don’t. Buckle up folks. Time to pay the piper for the Calipari system after effect.

Cal needs to be fired but make no mistakes if it is not a 100% home run hire UK basketball is screwed. Every contributor from this year is gone and next years crop of mercenaries will ask for their release with a new coach. Cal has not, nor has he ever, built a sustainable program. The next coach is going to have to be a home run to be able to bring in 10 new guys to start over.

Anyone think Mitch can do that? I don’t. Buckle up folks. Time to pay the piper for the Calipari system after effect.
Not wrong but luckily w the transfer portal now a new coach can easily bring a whole roster if it’s already a competitive coach.

But 5 years ago this would have been an absolute tragedy to have an empty roster w a month or 2 to build it

Not wrong but luckily w the transfer portal now a new coach can easily bring a whole roster if it’s already a competitive coach.

But 5 years ago this would have been an absolute tragedy to have an empty roster w a month or 2 to build it
I agree other than it is Barnhart who when left to his own accords gave UK Billy Clyde.

Reactions: EliteBlue
Depends on the hire as to my excitement level but I will always watch and root for UK no matter who the hire is. But Cal has to go!

Reactions: Skyguyb27
I agree other than it is Barnhart who when left to his own accords gave UK Billy Clyde.
My fear with Barney fife is that he will hire a Tony Bennett type plow ball coach.

From a. Marketing standpoint, an exciting brand Bren’s national enthusiasm and make you the it school. Every peak of Kentucky history has been a team that plays w tempo and is fun to watch. Sure, we will deal w slow if we are winning but style of play helps keep engagement. It’s why this team was a fan favorite despite some ugly bumps on the way.

Rupp basically invented the fast break. Hall continues Rupps legacy. Sutton got away from it. Pitino brought aback the aggression and pushing tempo. Tubby slowed it back down. Billy g kept it “controlled” early Cal teams embraced the open court and fast break and played with tempo targeting the 80s. Late cal team (until
This season) turned into rock
Fights and bully ball.

We need a coach that is going to make us the best show on the hardwood

How can it be any worse really.

I’m always excited for Kentucky basketball and the players have my full support. John Calipari is a totally different story. He has proven to be the most overrated coach in college basketball. IMO. Kentucky won’t get back to where they belong as long as he’s here. The sooner he’s gone the sooner Kentucky gets back.

Reactions: NociHTTP
I will be excited about a fresh start. Hell, I was over the moon for BCG.

I will temper expectations based on roster. Basically, if Cal were to leave tomorrow and it took us a few weeks to find a coach who had to build a completly fresh roster with portal scraps, I wouldn't expect to win the title next season.

Reactions: NociHTTP
Cal has not, nor has he ever, built a sustainable program. The next coach is going to have to be a home run to be able to bring in 10 new guys to start over.
Because building a sustainable program isn't really something that happens. A program is only as good as their next coach. Jay Wright built a great program at Villanova and Neptune flushed it down the toilet in a matter of two years. Kansas is a great program because they moved from Roy to Self, not because of the program itself. Coach K built maybe the most stable program ever and it's pretty shaky right now with Scheyer at the helm.

It's all about coaches. This program could be coming off three straight titles and if we hire the wrong coach it's done. We could be winless and if we hire the right coach it's fixed immediately.

Because building a sustainable program isn't really something that happens. A program is only as good as their next coach. Jay Wright built a great program at Villanova and Neptune flushed it down the toilet in a matter of two years. Kansas is a great program because they moved from Roy to Self, not because of the program itself. Coach K built maybe the most stable program ever and it's pretty shaky right now with Scheyer at the helm.

It's all about coaches. This program could be coming off three straight titles and if we hire the wrong coach it's done. We could be winless and if we hire the right coach it's fixed immediately.
I said never has. Cal didn’t do it pre portal era pre free transfer era. Cal sure as hell couldn’t do it then and cannot do it now.

I would be excited for a new start. I also wouldn’t expect a contender in year 1.

Reactions: Skyguyb27
I would be excited for a new start. I also wouldn’t expect a contender in year 1.
Lot of "homegrown" talent to build on right now. Get Sheppard to come back, Perry is coming in, hopefully Jasper Johnson and Malachi Moreno after that. We don't necessarily need a recruiting world beater right off the bat. That would be an interesting team to watch while we rebuild.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT