ADVERTISEMENT

ralphdalton would you want to keep Antigua?

deep3

Sophomore
May 15, 2002
I am torn, part of me that wants a complete fresh start but if he has the drive to recruit like he was his first time around it might make sense.

Curious to your thoughts

Sounds like also according to Matt that he has 4 of the 5 staff members set just in secrecy. He said it will probably be leaked out to public probably in the next couple of days.

IMO coach OA would be a slam dunk hire. Not only is he one of the best in business in recruiting, but also a bridge to all the former players he has brought in here at UK. This should be an easy yes.

210929Practice16_CW.jpg

It may be since Cal resigned all of the assistants are still employed by the university. They would need to resign to go work for Cal unless they were terminated. If Coach O is due a bonus he'd be likely to continue to work until he obtains his next job. Could mean he's staying or not.

Reactions: treyforuk
It may be since Cal resigned all of the assistants are still employed by the university. They would need to resign to go work for Cal unless they were terminated. If Coach O is due a bonus he'd be likely to continue to work until he obtains his next job. Could mean he's staying or not.

I was curious about this. He didn't quit, his boss did.

If someone was owed a retention bonus at my company and we fired him for no reason we would pay it out. Coaching is different though so maybe they can let him go and not have to pay.

I’m split on this one. I understand wanting a fresh start and getting rid of the Cal era. I also understand keeping someone who has experience recruiting top guys to UK. If he is all in on UK, I would welcome him back to the staff. We could look at it as Pope has the experience winning a title as a player at UK, and Antiqua has experience winning a title as an assistant at UK. It could be a win/win, but I absolutely understand some of the concerns.

Last edited:
I'd be fine with retaining him. He's a great recruiter. And based on the fact he didn't immediately follow Cal, I'd say UK means something special to him. Like he's one of us now. But I'll trust Pope on that decision.

I'm baffled at how many people want to completely rid the program of anyone that worked with Cal. Talent is talent and the program needs talented coaches, recruiters, and players. Reed was also brought here by cal and played under him. Should we want him gone too? Clean slate right?

Some folks have entered the LARP stage of their Kentucky fandom and it's getting weird.

IMO coach OA would be a slam dunk hire. Not only is he one of the best in business in recruiting, but also a bridge to all the former players he has brought in here at UK. This should be an easy yes.

210929Practice16_CW.jpg

O was screaming at Calipari this year and quit taking his sht. Cal only allows yes men.

Jai Lucas ran away from Calipari, O wants to stay away from Calipari, Welch left Calipari, but Brad is coming in and chin who just wants to party is staying.

Notice the pattern?

Let’s not forget the fallout with Robic,
Kentucky wanting to get rid of Calipari, our boosters and fans want none of caliapri… and on.

Pattern…..

Every program he’s ever coached at hates Calipari, our athletic director hates Calipari….

Patterns everywhere.

Yes - I like Coach O he can recruit at a high level. His focus would primarily be the Northeast especially in the fertile grounds of NYC, Philly, Boston, Bmore/DC. We need a coach that can connect with the urban kids at a high level. Get Coach O and grab two other ACE Recruiters that will primarily focus on the (Midwest, Southeast) and (Southwest, West) talents.

That’s early Cal. The wheels hadn’t come off. Something bad happened with Cal in the past 4 years. I’d kill to know what it was.

Not hard to figure out. Calipari’s ego couldn’t handle how rich he got and the Kentucky job is different than any other. Caliapri isnt the smartest guy and he just couldn’t handle all of what came with this place.

Not to mention, Calipari is a war hawk, he loves to fight. It’s the most important thing to him, he loves control and enjoys pushing it as far as he can go. He was always going to ruin himself here it’s what he does everywhere.

He really never changed he’s the same he was when he first got here. He just had motives later he didn’t have when he first came in. He thoroughly enjoyed making all the BBN and UK having to watch him underperform. The guy had to be removed no matter what happens. He was going to destroy this place.

I'm fine keeping Orlando as long as he isn't using us for that retention bonus.

I did like that he was challenging Cal mid-game you could see them getting into it. Perhaps O always saw the same things we did and was unable to get Cal to change.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
As for the retention bonus, I read that he has to be re-signed to a new contract (his expires June 30) and the retention bonus was if he got re-signed.

He did not resign (or quit) as the others did and is still a UK employee. He must be re-signed to a new contract though in order to get the bonus.

If he wants to be part of the UK family (instead of using its name to his benefit like others) then I accept him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT