ADVERTISEMENT

Would you say Anthony Davis was the best player to play under Cal

Davis is easily the best player not named Issel to ever play at UK.

Our three best are easily

1. Issel
2. Davis
3 Hagan
I knw Dan personally and he was a great player and person. My pick, but he didn;t play for Cal as the lead-in question asked. I'd have to say AD..

Sorry but how is this even a thread...
This same question could be asked about a thousand other threads that the OP has started. I keep hoping folks here will eventually learn to ignore Smooth threads …but some still take the bait every time.

Reactions: DraftCat
It’s about the best player under the current coach. Absolutely nothing to do with coaching. About a player I swear people read crap into stuff all the time. If you have read my posts in the past I’m not a fan and could care less who the coach is. But this question clearly asks about a player until you needed to change it. You’re being defensive and assuming way to much.
Read your first two sentences slowly and try again. I have read your posts a lot, and you always ride into Cal’s defense. I’m not being defensive at all. If anything I’m accusing you of being disingenuous and you’re defending your position.

Whenever you discuss a coach’s best player, the coach is going to come up. This is not unique to Cal. It happens with every coach.

Respectfully, and I do mean that, I think you need to sit the next couple of plays out.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
Read your first two sentences slowly and try again. I have read your posts a lot, and you always ride into Cal’s defense. I’m not being defensive at all. If anything I’m accusing you of being disingenuous and you’re defending your position.

Whenever you discuss a coach’s best player, the coach is going to come up. This is not unique to Cal. It happens with every coach.

Respectfully, and I do mean that, I think you need to sit the next couple of plays out.
I could care less who the coach is. If it changed tomorrow and they have someone in place I’m good but you are deflecting from changing the thread. It’s still about a best player. All the other stuff you put out there is not about the thread.

Super down year? Seriously?

We had to beat KU, a very good UofL team, an upstart Baylor and a upset minded Iowa State. Not to mention a decent IU team. UNC and Syarcuse were solid 1 seeds. Michigan State was also very good that year.

I will cede that there was a large gap between the really good teams and the not good teams that year. But that gap was narrowed quickly in the first group.
Right

I think super down... that KU team had one average pro (McLemore) and a bunch of role players. And they beat a terrible Ohio State team (that was tops [record-wise] in the big 10). The past KU championship had Braun who played a significant part in an NBA championship, Obaji (sp?) who is as good a pro as McClemore, and Wilson (also arguably a down year in the NCAA).
I was in New Orleans... we were never tested... and we've had previous teams (that didn't ever cut down the nets) that would have given us fits.
McClemore wasn’t on that 2011-12 Kansas team. He started later that next fall (2012-13).

But I agree (without much hesitation) with your take, and a little research backs us both up.

2011-12 Kansas had walk-on Chris Teahan as its #6 scorer, whereas one of KU’s best PGs ever, DaJuan Harris, was the 2022 team’s 6th scorer, but really, its “6th man” was widely known to be 2000-point career scorer Remy Marin (ranked 5th on the team in scoring). Just think about that, when comparing the two teams. The one that won the championship was better. The other one sneaked into the FF (and wasn’t the better team).

I would argue that the 2011-12 team was regarded, at that time, as FARRRRR less talented than these past KU teams:
2011 unquestionably more talented
2010 unquestionably more talented
even 2009 by quite a bit when u look at the roster
2006 was a SUPER young team but more or possibly equally talented as 2012.

KenPom ranks 2022 ahead of 2012.

2012 had one 5-star player (Johnson), and 6, Rivals 4-star players —5 of whom got a good number of minutes, plus one who only got a few mins (5mins)/game.

2022 had nine Rivals four-star players (two of whom practically never played, two more who played just a little), leaving five four-stars who played a lot, and no five-star players.

I think most KU fans would agree that the 2012 Final Four was wayyy more surprising than the 2022 one.

AD is easily the best player to play under Cal here. He’s probably the most dominant college player period since his days here….

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT