ADVERTISEMENT

Worse end-of-game/half coach: Cal or Stoops?

gamecockcat

All-SEC
Oct 29, 2004
To be fair, prior to the last couple of years, Stoops' record in one score games was phenomenal, although, even then, there were some questionable decisions.

Now...who is worse?

I think I'd have to go Cal is worse. Almost every game he starts with an 'on paper' talent advantage and, yet, still manages to bungle last minute coaching (more times than not by doing nothing).

Cal, and it’s not close, if you take the comparison of the talent pools Cal and Stoops have/ had to work with!

As far as I know, I’m pretty sure Stoops keeps his best available players on the field for the most amount of time possible. Cal sits two lottery picks, and another future 1st rounder because he’s a BB genius in his own mind💯👈🏼

The two are not comparable at all, some fans are delusional on both ends to what Kentucky is.

Stoops took a perennial floor mat program to winning 9 regular season games twice and has it to where bowl games that are not in Florida are disappointing.

Cal took the greatest program of all time to 9 wins in a season.

Stoops has recruited the best ever at Kentucky but still finishes in the bottom half/third of the SEC.

Cal breaks recruiting and nba draft records every season and just had 7 nba all stars, just ask him he will tell you.

Stoop’s definitely has his issues on time management and other things, but he has shown he is trying to do anything to improve and make the program better. Cal is what he is.

As another poster pointed out though, UK football is less talented or close in talent to all of their opponents in close games down the stretch, while Cal is has a team that generally has superior talent.

interesting thread, it occurred to me yesterday that there are more and more similarities between the two coaches. Consider this:

Each year Stoops seems to have a season defining game just about every week. Think of games in several recent years vs Miss St, South Carolina, UF, Missouri and of course UT.

Now shift to Cal K-State last year, St Pete, UF at home this year, LSU on Wednesday and to be fair AU a week ago. Cal is on as much of a roller coaster as Stoops( with nearly 3 times as many games) This isn't the UK basketball program we all grew up with, most of those games we should win and move on to the next game. Instead we are in a dog fight every game trying to scratch out a win.

Cal is worse and it is not even close.

Stoop's players are actually executing his 2 minute game plan, whether we agree with his ultra conservative approach or not, they are actually attempting to execute a plan..

Cal, on the other hand.........we have seen his end game coaching for 15 years.

Both guys are too conservative to win many close games in today's games where offense dictates wins in close games.

Rock Paper Scissors Matt Bragg GIF by Achievement Hunter

Reactions: Random UK Fan
To be fair, prior to the last couple of years, Stoops' record in one score games was phenomenal, although, even then, there were some questionable decisions.

Now...who is worse?

I think I'd have to go Cal is worse. Almost every game he starts with an 'on paper' talent advantage and, yet, still manages to bungle last minute coaching (more times than not by doing nothing).
Cal by a mile, if Stoops had the best talent in the country i guarantee his style would produce 10 wins a year.

Calipari. I never feel good anymore when Kentucky is in late game situations and have had coaches openly mock Cal/UK being too predictable. Makes no in-game adjustments and far too often blow big leads like being up 15 to LSU the other night.

Now...who is worse?

Glad you could find something to bitch about even after a hard fought win , guess you can be miserable the rest of the night

Glad you could find something to bitch about even after a hard fought win , guess you can be miserable the rest of the night
The original post was on Friday. Seriously? You bumped this and posted like the Ops thread was created 5 minutes ago?!?!? 😝😝😝

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT