ADVERTISEMENT

Word on the street florida st wants stoops

We have too many fans who deserve to lose Stoops to another program. If 8t happens we'll be right back where we were for most of our history.

I struggle to understand why so many of you think you can just replace Stoops with someone better at Kentucky. History says you're nuts.
I disagree. Kentucky job is in much better shape than before because stoops proved that you can have moderate success here unlike in the past. Kentucky football now has resources it never had before money wise and support.

“Fire the coach” is the easiest and laziest response to lob onto a sports blog.

I’d like to hear what you would do after firing him. Please include the history of how new coaches have fared in the SEC at other schools. Also, please include your plan for raising NIL, enlisting new donors, and replacing an entire recruiting class along with outbound transfers. I’ll await for your logical and realistic steps after you fire Stoops.

I’ve said repeatedly that Stoops must get the program back on solid ground next year or he’ll be pushed off in the sunset with a buyout.

But, I’d like to hear your logical and realistic next steps after you’d fire Stoops.

“Fire the coach” is the easiest and laziest response to lob onto a sports blog.

I’d like to hear what you would do after firing him. Please include the history of how new coaches have fared in the SEC at other schools. Also, please include your plan for raising NIL, enlisting new donors, and replacing an entire recruiting class along with outbound transfers. I’ll await for your logical and realistic steps after you fire Stoops.

I’ve said repeatedly that Stoops must get the program back on solid ground next year or he’ll be pushed off in the sunset with a buyout.

But, I’d like to hear your logical and realistic next steps after you’d fire Stoops.
Definition of insanity keep doing the same thing over and over again looking for a different result . I just don't understand why you and others can't deal with change it's obvious the writing is on the wall and you keep wanting another year of undisciplined and under performing play .
1 you fire the coach

2 you send out feelers and search committee on hiring a new coach

It's not rocket science

I disagree. Kentucky job is in much better shape than before because stoops proved that you can have moderate success here unlike in the past. Kentucky football now has resources it never had before money wise and support.
Yes but recruiting is still difficult and will get worse as NIL matures.

I’m a huge Stoops fan … but also acknowledge the program has platued, or even trending in the wrong direction. History reveals that Stoops has accomplished what many/most football experts thought was impossible, while also declining the last couple of seasons. Both facts can be correct.

The biggest question is what is best for UK football moving ahead. This topic probably deserves its own post, but I’ll throw out a couple thoughts. First, people are naturally against the incumbent in many arenas and coaches are no different. (Research anti incumbency bias) Claiborne, Curry, and Brooks were excellent football minds who could not consistently accomplish what Stoops has accomplished at UK. (Throw the multitude of excuses in the garbage. UK will always have several disadvantages. It ultimately comes down to wins/losses.) Fans who think top young coaches will line up for the UK job and automatically improve UK football are wearing blue tinted glasses and are ignoring both HISTORY and PRESENT DAY reality.
Second - Fla, UT, SC, Aub, etc … have much richer football history and several other recruiting advantages over UK. How has the coaching carousel worked for them??? Those jobs are more desirable than UK. Fla is getting ready to fire their 3rd coach in 10 years. UT went through Dooley, Jones and Pruitt in less than 10 years. Auburn was paying 3 head coaches and are close to adding a 4th one to the list while they still flounder around. Bottom line - hiring a new coach is a role of the dice with less than 25% of them lasting more than 3 years! And, this is at programs who have some history of winning!

I ignore the “fire Stoops” posts and realize most of them are emotional posts with no real logical thoughts about the program.

Stoops has proven he has a plan for recruiting that is working. Again, he has improved the program in ways that many experts did not think was possible. He’s definitely going to get another year unless he personally walks away. He’s earned the right for another year. However, the program is trending in the wrong direction. UK MUST improve and win more games. I don’t know the magic number of wins next year, but I know the losses can’t look as bad as the games against SC, Vandy, and Fla. It’s one thing to compete and lose against likely playoff teams. However, we can’t look as inept as we have in some of our bad losses.

I’m pro-Stoops, but he’s got to right the ship.
How in Heavn's name can you or us as a fan base continue after 11.5 years, want a coach that you admit has reached his ceiling and has a horrible SEC record and be someone you still support and want to continue to lead our football program. How can you think doing the same thing over and over is going to give our program different results. It is just insane thinking. Your thoughts are an example of arguing with an idiot because you will just drag us down and beat us with experience. We need to step up and get a modern thinking football coach. If we fail we can't be much worse than were we currently are as a program. We are NOT SEC competitive now!

How in Heavn's name can you or us as a fan base continue after 11.5 years, want a coach that you admit has reached his ceiling and has a horrible SEC record and be someone you still support and want to continue to lead our football program. How can you think doing the same thing over and over is going to give our program different results. It is just insane thinking. Your thoughts are an example of arguing with an idiot because you will just drag us down and beat us with experience. We need to step up and get a modern thinking football coach. If we fail we can't be much worse than were we currently are as a program. We are NOT SEC competitive now!
I know right? The biggest on road campus win in Ky history says hi.
Bear never even did that.
Some of you guys are absolutely loco

Definition of insanity keep doing the same thing over and over again looking for a different result . I just don't understand why you and others can't deal with change it's obvious the writing is on the wall and you keep wanting another year of undisciplined and under performing play .
1 you fire the coach

2 you send out feelers and search committee on hiring a new coach

It's not rocket science
Why has UT, SC, Fla, Aub, Tx, and a list of others had a 75% failure rate of doing the very thing you want UK to do?

Do you think UK will have better success bringing in new coaches than these other SEC programs.

BTW - I do believe programs reach a point where they have to make a change. But, it should be UK’s last option and not the first option.

You give your often repeated definition of insanity, but what you describe is exactly what these other programs have previously shown does not always work.

Here’s where we probably agree. Being a good football coach is different than building a football program. There are LOTS of excellent coaches. However, I think there are much fewer coaches who can build a program. It requires so many more qualities than just coaching.

Indiana is sitting at 7-0 in the Big 10. Argue about their strength of schedule all you want, but that’s pretty impressive for a program historically worse than even us. So yeah, with the right attitude and coaching, it can be done. Will IU win the Natty, likely not, but as of today they are in the playoff discussion. Something we could have been in despite the USC loss had we taken care of business against Vandy and Florida who on paper, we should have beaten. There are coaches out there who wouldn’t have lost those games with this roster.
Indiana’s HC might have KY undefeated right now. Very impressed with him and a great story on game day about him a few minutes ago.

Your thoughts are an example of arguing with an idiot because you will just drag us down and beat us with experience. We need to step up and get a modern thinking football coach.
Wow! You sound like a very logical, non emotional fan who’s capable of looking at the big picture and analyzing how making a coaching change in the SEC has worked for other programs.

Research the last 3-4 coaches of every single SEC school and let us know how making a coaching change worked out for them. (That includes Tx, which was #1 going into last week and is considered the richest football program in a state with the most top tier recruits.)

I’ve said all along that UK may have to move on from Stoops. But, it won’t be this year nor should it be.

Regarding stats, it’s funny how people cherry pick the stat that supports their predetermined decision. Anti-Stoops people quote specific stats. Pro-Stoops people use his recent 10 win seasons and having more wins against top 25 teams than his previous 4 predecessors combined. The current state of the program is somewhere in the middle.

Emotional rants at people who disagree with you is like howling at the moon. Have fun doing it!

Reactions: yoshukai
You are citing all of those coaches but I only commented about Brooks so let’s focus on him. If you told me to pick either he or stoops with both being in equal situations….facilities good or bad, resources more or less, scholarship restrictions/no restrictions, toughness of schedule in the East and such I’m taking Brooks. I can’t imagine stoops starting off building his teams with only 56 scholarships for his first 3 recruiting classes.
Maybe. Maybe not . We’ll never know. What I do know is the narrative “give other coaches the extra bunny win” doesn’t tell the whole story.

We are all giving our opinions and none will impact the situation one way or another. Stoops has some strengths and some glaring weaknesses too. Personally I think he lets the inmates run the asylum and has cost KY a lot of W’s over his tenure. It’s time for change.

Wow! You sound like a very logical, non emotional fan who’s capable of looking at the big picture and analyzing how making a coaching change in the SEC has worked for other programs.

Research the last 3-4 coaches of every single SEC school and let us know how making a coaching change worked out for them. (That includes Tx, which was #1 going into last week and is considered the richest football program in a state with the most top tier recruits.)

I’ve said all along that UK may have to move on from Stoops. But, it won’t be this year nor should it be.

Regarding stats, it’s funny how people cherry pick the stat that supports their predetermined decision. Anti-Stoops people quote specific stats. Pro-Stoops people use his recent 10 win seasons and having more wins against top 25 teams than his previous 4 predecessors combined. The current state of the program is somewhere in the middle.

Emotional rants at people who disagree with you is like howling at the moon. Have fun doing it!
Bryan Cranston Reaction GIF

Maybe. Maybe not . We’ll never know. What I do know is the narrative “give other coaches the extra bunny win” doesn’t tell the whole story.
Absolutely it doesn’t. Neither does comparing his situation to every past UK coach. As far as uk coaches go he’s had the most favorable operating conditions. The 2 questions for me is whether stoops has the coaching in him to get above middle of the road or maybe even maintain it now that the schedule isn’t going to be to our favor.
His best days were when he could face Muschamp, Odom, and satterfield on the schedule every year. He was 11-2 against those guys and brought him 1/4 of his sec wins. And then whether he can ever have some functional offense which at this point is probably answered.

Where will we ever find another coach if we fire Cal...I mean Stoops. Same old argument, different sport. Stoops time is over, not only here but maybe in the sport in general. His style of football is outmoded.

Then you listen to Hamden's bs about what he wants to do vs what he has to do. Where have I heard that one before?

Sumrall is waiting. Stay scared or start winning.

Stoops has had 4 disappointing seasons over the last 5. I don’t think FSU is clamoring for a guy who has lost to bottom feeders Vandy twice in a row at home and three in a row to USC including two at home.
We were 10-3 in 2021. 8-5 in 2019. A couple of 7-6 seasons in there too. This is Kentucky, where these are not disappointing seasons. If you can’t live with a 8-10 win season then you need to find a spot on a bandwagon somewhere.

This is his first true disappointing season in quite a while. Covid year not withstanding

We were 10-3 in 2021. 8-5 in 2019. A couple of 7-6 seasons in there too. This is Kentucky, where these are not disappointing seasons. If you can’t live with a 8-10 win season then you need to find a spot on a bandwagon somewhere.

This is his first true disappointing season in quite a while. Covid year not withstanding
What

Last 12 sec home games 2 wins 10 losses we are vandys and beamers bitch again and you expect any rationalize fan to accept this and move on man you love losing

Reactions: entropy13 and blubo
Absolutely it doesn’t. Neither does comparing his situation to every past UK coach. As far as uk coaches go he’s had the most favorable operating conditions. The 2 questions for me is whether stoops has the coaching in him to get above middle of the road or maybe even maintain it now that the schedule isn’t going to be to our favor.
His best days were when he could face Muschamp, Odom, and satterfield on the schedule every year. He was 11-2 against those guys and brought him 1/4 of his sec wins. And then whether he can ever have some functional offense which at this point is probably answered.
Stoops had no say so on who the opponent's coaches were.

Reactions: bballcat4
I have the same 2 questions plus a third , would the new coach do better? Do as well ? I think Stoops would have been able to recruit better than any past coach just because he started recruiting Ohio like we should have always done .

Where will we ever find another coach if we fire Cal...I mean Stoops. Same old argument, different sport. Stoops time is over, not only here but maybe in the sport in general. His style of football is outmoded.

Then you listen to Hamden's bs about what he wants to do vs what he has to do. Where have I heard that one before?

Sumrall is waiting. Stay scared or start winning.
Difference is, every basketball coach that wasn’t an alcoholic has won a championship here . Stoops has been the most successful football coach here since Bear Bryant.

Cal didn't leave on his own free will
I agree if Cal would have stayed in the good with the UK big basketball donors and away from OTE he would still be here.

Instead I truly believe Cal went the route of promising the OTE hands that if they send players his way. He will 100% play them first and help them get drafted.

I believe the big donors wanted wins and championship priority and Cal felt draft picks was priority.

Last 12 sec home games 2 wins 10 losses we are vandys and beamers bitch again and you expect any rationalize fan to accept this and move on man you love losing
It blows me away these Stoops guys ignore this little nugget.
They ignore he is the head coach who had to forfeit a whole season recently and tried leaving to A&M

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

What

The person said we had 4 disappointing seasons in the last 5. I disputed that because, well math. I am Just as unhappy with what we are seeing now as the next person.

Difference is, every basketball coach that wasn’t an alcoholic has won a championship here . Stoops has been the most successful football coach here since Bear Bryant.
This has been debated to death. Yes, he has had success here and has revitalized a program that Joker drove into the ground. He deserves credit for proving that you can win at Kentucky, something that was in doubt before.

He has also had more resources at his disposal than any football coach in UK history. His predecessors asked, they just never received. Finding a generational player like Josh Allen didn't hurt either.

He has also greatly benefitted from a depleted SEC. The SEC is not depleted anymore. Tennessee has risen, Florida is rising again. Mizzou and SCjr have surpassed us once again. Now add in Texas and Oklahoma. The SEC is stronger than ever.

Stoops has had more than a fair chance here. He will never win an SEC championship here, and at this rate might not ever see the playoffs. Other coaches somehow manage to do more with less, and in half the time. He needs to go.

I feel like Missouri’s coach would get a call from a better job before Stoops would.

I cannot imagine Stoops landing anything other than a mid tier gig somewhere else like an Iowa type at best and even then, maybe not that.

Who else is going to pay top 10 money for at best 7 win seasons now?

Last edited:
NIL is the game now. And with teams being able to pay their players, I can see a scenario that Stoops cuts a deal and moves on. UK then hires someone like Sumrall for 5mil per year and uses the 4mil per year savings on players.
Call Liam Cohen and beg Vince Morrow to stay.

We have too many fans who deserve to lose Stoops to another program. If 8t happens we'll be right back where we were for most of our history.

I struggle to understand why so many of you think you can just replace Stoops with someone better at Kentucky. History says you're nuts.
This didn’t age well…

Nope, I've had enough. Stoops seems incapable of making good hires.
The whole coaching staff is a failure at this point. Top to bottom. There is no excuse for the consistently bad performances we see every week. No player development at all. I had pretty much given up after back to back losses to Vandy and Florida, but this makes me question how Stoops even finishes the season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT