ADVERTISEMENT

Women’s coach

Jjohnb5393

Freshman
Mar 25, 2022
It seems like there may be a pretty big name in store, based on what Barnhart is telling the folks that donate to the women’s cause. I read it on KSR this morning, and I’ve also heard from someone that is a what you would call a booster of women’s sports that I know pretty well ( Mitch / UK actually talk personally …and fairly often….to the select few that consistently support the women with $$. ) . It’ll be interesting to see who they get.

Bored GIF

Is Mitch doing this search himself or is there a committee in charge of finding our new coach?
I think it’s him , consulting with others . No formal committee …you don’t see that much anymore …bama didn’t even do that post-Saban

Is Mitch doing this search himself or is there a committee in charge of finding our new coach?
I am sure there is a "committee" formal or informal. And of course, he will have staff working, and most likely an outside firm to do vetting and such.

Been kind of quiet.. hopefully that a good sign.

Reactions: westerncat
So who's your friend hearing? Really doubt Walz happens at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jjohnb5393
Throw a big aass bag at Kim Mulkey, she seems like she’s about the money. If there’s any tension at LSU with this team having some turmoil and now Mulkey getting kicked out of a minor league baseball game, maybe LSU doesn’t immediately reach to match a big offer.
I don’t think specific names , just a feeling the search is going well . Supposedly going to happen fast , but can’t now…so maybe they’ve locked in on someone who’s in the NCAA tournament

Last edited:
Just from what I have read, I would go with the coach who is currently at Fairfield. But I'm definitely no expert in womens basketball.

32-1 this year and playing IU on Saturday.

Not sure it’s a HR hire but she’s pretty good. Good recruiter.

Anyone would be a major upgrade from Elzy

32-1 this year and playing IU on Saturday.

Not sure it’s a HR hire but she’s pretty good. Good recruiter.

Anyone would be a major upgrade from Elzy
Yes, it sounds like UK has some good choices. Even bringing back Matthew Mitchell wouldn't be a bad hire, but if they were going to hire him back it would've already happened most likely.

Throw a big aass bag at Kim Mulkey, she seems like she’s about the money. If there’s any tension at LSU with this team having some turmoil and now Mulkey getting kicked out of a minor league baseball game, maybe LSU doesn’t immediately reach to match a big offer.
Mulkey getting kicked out was part of the act. That was a Savannah Bananas game and they are the baseball equivalent of the Harlem Globetrotters.

I don’t think specific names , just a feeling the search is going well . Supposedly going to happen fast , but can’t now…so maybe they’ve locked in on someone who’s in the NCAA tournament
Would love it if they could get Kara Lawson from Duke. She seems extremely intelligent and is a born leader. Some of her team speeches have gone viral.

Maybe she sees an opportunity out of the ACC and into the SEC.

It’s come out that the successful Kenny Brooks @ Virginia Tech is a candidate…..he’s in the ncaa tourney

Hopefully it is a younger 'up and comer' because the energy and enthusiasm of a younger person has a little more energy to build something and the energy to put all their heart, soul and mind into it.

Reactions: TM2013
It’s come out that the successful Kenny Brooks @ Virginia Tech is a candidate…..he’s in the ncaa tourney
That would be a really good get and not a guy I had on my radar. Final Four last year, ACC championship and a #4 seed this year. Interesting enough....they play Marshall in the first round. Kim Caldwell of Marshall is very high (if not at the top) of my list for possible coaches.

That would be a really good get and not a guy I had on my radar. Final Four last year, ACC championship and a #4 seed this year. Interesting enough....they play Marshall in the first round. Kim Caldwell of Marshall is very high (if not at the top) of my list for possible coaches.
Yeah, but how well does he recruit I wonder? In this conference have to be able to recruit some 4 stars regularly and be a top coach if going to accomplish anything meaningful. He could get away there with just being a really good coach but a mediocre recruiter. How would you compare him and the Marshall coach with the coaching and recruiting part?

Yeah, but how well does he recruit I wonder? In this conference have to be able to recruit some 4 stars regularly and be a top coach if going to accomplish anything meaningful. He could get away there with just being a really good coach but a mediocre recruiter. How would you compare him and the Marshall coach with the coaching and recruiting part?
He has signed 6 fours starts in the last 3 years. He had 2 players picked in the 2023 WNBA draft and still won the ACC this year. He's really turned that program around.

He also has a 2nd and 3rd team all-American on his team this year. He's done an outstanding job.

I don't know enough about the 2 coaches to give any true comparisons. VaTech still plays a pretty up temp offense averaging 75ppg.

IMO, it would be a really solid hire.

Last edited:
He’s recruited well in Blacksburg and also won @ James Madison prior , which isn’t known as a traditional power. He’s connected in recruiting and could hire good assistants. He’s very well respected in the industry , for sure. I’d say if you could get him, itd be considered a good hire… It’d be like a men’s opening, and hiring someone that’s won a lot of games , been in the final four and elite eight the last few years with a non traditional power ….then giving them more resources and a new facility (upgrade )

I'll also add that they lost their 3-time ACC POY to a knee injury in the last game of the regular season....she averaged 23ppg and it's a huge blow, so I won't be judging him on success, or lack there of, in this years tournament.

I would be seriously trying to find a reason not to give it to this guy ... 7th ALL-TIME winning percentage !!
He’s probably on the list . Maybe they like Brooks winning at a higher level ( ACC) …either would be sound hires , I’d say. UK definitely isn’t a traditional power , but should be a destination job based on conference, pay and facilities ( now , after the upgrade )

It seems as though Mitch is actually trying to make a real hire. We'll see what happens but Brooks is a serious coach.

VA Tech did beat UL by 16 points. They averaged 75 PPG to opponents 62. Looks like they are OK but not at an elite level. ND, Duke and LSU a few schools that looks on another level than them.

VA Tech did beat UL by 16 points. They averaged 75 PPG to opponents 62. Looks like they are OK but not at an elite level. ND, Duke and LSU a few schools that looks on another level than them.
They were in the FF recently. Usually , coaches at next-level type women’s programs are at places that have already heavily invested in women’s sports …and they aren’t going to be easy to pry away , even with possibly more money . I think with UK’s recent $85 mil investment and what they’re willing to pay…maybe lure someone successful , looking to step up to the SEC, etc.

it’s all about NIL $$$ and transfers, now.

You do realize that they are in the same conference as Duke and VaTech has been more successful than Duke while Brooks has been there?

And you realize that they are in the same conference as Notre Dame and VaTech has been just as successful as Notre Dame since Brooks has been there?

If you think Duke and ND are on an elite level, than VaTech is too.

Whoever comes in will be starting with 0 players. I think the top 3 from this year have already entered the portal.

You do realize that they are in the same conference as Duke and VaTech has been more successful than Duke while Brooks has been there?

And you realize that they are in the same conference as Notre Dame and VaTech has been just as successful as Notre Dame since Brooks has been there?

If you think Duke and ND are on an elite level, than VaTech is too.
Talking about history. Brooks first year he won a game in the tournament and lost first game the next year if I am looking at it right. Last year was a historic year in the tournament for them. If you look at history ND has won a championship and been runner up 5 times and final four another year. Duke if I am looking at it right a couple of runner ups and a couple of final fours. So talking about the schools like Conn, MS St and TN for instance with a history of success in the tournament. Brooks may eventually achieve some of that but right now wasn't last year the one great year he had and this year I know the regular season was really good. And with their star out this year can't expect a lot in the tournament. It looks like he would do a good job here compared to where we have usually been. But could he obtain and maintain a higher level here like the better programs over the years?

Kenny Brooks seems to be the guy we are focused on. That would obviously be a really, really good hire. He's an excellent coach and a very solid recruiter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT