ADVERTISEMENT

Women’s championship game

USC really turns it on in the second half of games
If I am not mistaken, USC lost their entire starting core from last season and then goes 38 - 0. This is what should be talked about. Clark is extremely good but when you put her scoring title in its proper perspective you will realize that there is a huge difference between what she did and Laynette Woodard. Woodard set the women's record using men's basketball and there wasn't a 3-point shot.

If I am not mistaken, USC lost their entire starting core from last season and then goes 38 - 0. This is what should be talked about. Clark is extremely good but when you put her scoring title in its proper perspective you will realize that there is a huge difference between what she did and Laynette Woodard. Woodard set the women's record using men's basketball and there wasn't a 3-point shot.
There’s a significant gap in talent with what Woodard faced compared to today.

Reactions: UK_fanatic
There’s a significant gap in talent with what Woodard faced compared to today.
The talent gap you mentioned which can't be measured could be said about every sport that has ever been played. The pace of the game wasn't nearly has fast as it is today which means players get more shots than they did back then. Your comments don't address the fact that 3 pointers add up much faster than 3s. I notice you didn't attempt to address the difference with the balls. The shooting range of Clark would have certainly been reduced if she had to use a man's ball.

Last edited:
On right now on ESPN. The coverage is horrible. A couple chicks in studio talking incessantly about anything and everything. Except what is happening on the court. Imma watch the rest with the sound off.

I turned on the first game on Friday and left it on between games. Those studio ladies were simply horrible. I felt like I was listening to a bunch of girls at a slumber party. It was THAT bad.

Same with pistol Pete's era. Didn't stop the moron media and some on this forum saying Clark and pistol Pete's records were comparable.
I get it but with women’s sports, think how few actually played 40-50 years ago compared to today. The gap in talent was significant whereas that type of gap didn’t exist for men’s players, imo. Alcindor and Pete and company weren’t the product of bad competition and beating up in a small pond where I think that absolutely was the case for women’s athletics 40+.

I turned on the first game on Friday and left it on between games. Those studio ladies were simply horrible. I felt like I was listening to a bunch of girls at a slumber party. It was THAT bad.
Did you guys watch that Sue Bird feed? Is that what you’re talking about? I watched the main ABC feed so I didn’t see anything other than the commentary.

Reactions: ruppcat
Woodard should be somewhat happy though . Without the Clark attention most wouldn’t have even known she held the record .

SC was loaded... Iowa had little chance getting out rebounded that badly. It was a miracle it was even close within 5 minutes.

Congrats to Clark she's unreal and I may turn on some WNBA games to see how she fairs against the pros.

Sue Bird is such a baddie for real.... it's kind of annoying she's married to Rapieno

Reactions: kywildcat41086
The talent gap you mentioned which can't be measured could be said about every sport that has ever been played. The pace of the game wasn't nearly has fast as it is today which means players get more shots than they did back then. Your comments don't address the fact that 3 pointers add up much faster than 3s. I notice you didn't attempt to address the difference with the balls. The shooting range of Clark would have certainly been reduced if she had to use a man's ball.
Yeah I understand the three pointer difference. But like I said in another post, I don’t think Pete and the stars of men’s college basketball just feasted on garbage. There was a significant gap in talent in women’s sports compared to men’s. How many women played sports 50 years ago compared to today?

So yeah we can say oh she did it with a lighter ball and a three point line but we can also say Woodard beat up against nobodies too. Can’t say that for someone in modern day Big Ten basketball.

I can't watch women's basketball. I know they play hard as I scrimmaged against the girls team years ago in HS. But, the talent disparity between men and women's bball is huge.
Then, you add in that ESPN has clearly been pushing a equality agenda with their storylines about CC and the women's Final Four. There is no way Clark could play on a college men's team. That one was hilarious.
And then ESPN published a story about how women's FF tickets were in more demand and more expensive than the men's. Uh yeah...the women were playing in a NBA arena while the men are playing in a NFL stadium!
Just stop already.

I can't watch women's basketball. I know they play hard as I scrimmaged against the girls team years ago in HS. But, the talent disparity between men and women's bball is huge.
Then, you add in that ESPN has clearly been pushing a equality agenda with their storylines about CC and the women's Final Four. There is no way Clark could play on a college men's team. That one was hilarious.
And then ESPN published a story about how women's FF tickets were in more demand and more expensive than the men's. Uh yeah...the women were playing in a NBA arena while the men are playing in a NFL stadium!
Just stop already.
I mean there is more talk on social media of the girls game at this point . Come Monday I doubt there will be much discussion after the Purdue and Uconn.

ESPN pushing what is going to get them the most attention at this point .

Reactions: HeismaNole
Did you guys watch that Sue Bird feed? Is that what you’re talking about? I watched the main ABC feed so I didn’t see anything other than the commentary.

I don't think so. I was doing stuff and had it on in the background so I am not positive.

Just stop already.
The woman’s final 4 was way more interesting than the men’s this year. And who gives a crap if they can play against the men? Why don’t you just admit you’re a misogynist asshole who can’t stand woman playing sports that “belong” to men. It’s so obvious.

Went to the Womens FF in 1978 (semis)

Ann Meyers was the star of the time. One of the few gals who ran and jumped and shot like a guy.

The bigs who played the 5 didn’t even jump for rebounds but stood on their tip-toes to try and get it.

South Carolina went 40-0 and 78-1 in a 2 year span during the most competitive era of women’s basketball in history. They may be the best team ever. Caitlyn Clark is probably the greatest women’s basketball player in college history even without a championship.
Most on this board cried all year about the defense played by the Wildcats. So to say that Clark is the greatest women's college basketball player ever while being average on defense is crazy. Brittany Stewart, Chamique Holdsclaw, Tamika Catchings, Mya Moore were all better.

Reactions: LmdCat
Just stop already.
Yeah but the women’s game had stars. People obviously cared. The men’s final four isn’t as interesting. UConn’s fan base is so little that when they faced us in the final four in 2011, they had to use Rice students to fill out their sections.

Clark moves the needle. She’s great. No, she couldn’t play in the NBA😂 but she absolutely could be a spot shooter in men’s college ball. There’s been guys play that do less than she does. I wouldn’t say that about probably about anyone else. Maybe Taurasi.

I get what you’re saying but I’ve never seen anyone who can move and shoot like Clark. Every other woman always has this set up hop they have to do but Clark plays like a female Curry.

Reactions: shaudyshaud
Most on this board cried all year about the defense played by the Wildcats. So to say that Clark is the greatest women's college basketball player ever while being average on defense is crazy. Brittany Stewart, Chamique Holdsclaw, Tamika Catchings, Mya Moore were all better.
Better at what? Clark averages the same amount of steals as Stewart did. She averages 7 rebounds a game. She’s third in assists. These are significant things one cannot overlook when comparing. This isn’t Jimmer Fredette who is just shooting. She’s doing a ton.

Those girls you mentioned were great but they were not better than Clark.

The ESPN game feed today was Bird and Taurasi. They were gabbing with Robin Robert’s and interviewing Snoop Dogg all the while the game was going on.

Imagine watching a game with the sound off, and your wife and two of her sisters are chirping nonstop the whole time. It was painful.

They'll have Paige.
Seven of the top nine highest rated games this season were Iowa vs whoever.

One girl moves the needle. Paige was healthy and played all of 2021 and although she got POTY, no one gave a crap. Because just being good doesn’t excite people. We’ve seen it. The Clark phenomenon wouldn’t be as big if she was hitting mid-range jumpers instead of hitting Curry threes.

Woodard should be somewhat happy though . Without the Clark attention most wouldn’t have even known she held the record .
The same could be said about Pistol Pete. Do you really expect for most people to walk around remembering those types of records. Most people who don't follow women basketball closely couldn't tell you who won the championship 4 years ago.

The ESPN game feed today was Bird and Taurasi. They were gabbing with Robin Robert’s and interviewing Snoop Dogg all the while the game was going on.

Imagine watching a game with the sound off, and your wife and two of her sisters are chirping nonstop the whole time. It was painful.
I hope you watched them by choice and not because you didn't realize that the regular broadcast of the game was on ABC.

Reactions: preacherfan
Don't forget about Candace Parker and Cheryl Miller. Clark is a great shooter and she has a decent handle, but she gets lots of help from the refs. Some of her flops were beyond ridiculous. She complains after every shot. She doesn't even try to play defense.

Reactions: nptb

Why didn’t you watch the ABC feed that had regular commentary?

• Haha
Reactions: ruppcat and LmdCat
Just stop already.
Don't worry next year will be even more hilarious when they alienate the men that came over and enjoyed their sport when they call the drop in ratings on fans being "racist" for not acknowledging the greatness of Juju Watkins from USC.

Caitlyn was both talented and brought the "Rocky" element to their sport. White star athlete on an underdog team who actually could do some things that looked like basketball aside from the constant missed layups, and putrid coaching that comes from Basketball By Dummies most of the women's game sideline strategists utilize. Can see why Geno has dominated this sport for so long and will soon again. He actually makes adjustments and game plans for an opponent.

For the WNBA/Women's CBB to stay relevant, they will need men to watch. That will last about a month into the Clark WNBA debut and quickly go away because the way the League is marketed and behaves like the NBA-which is canned and copycat in terms of their production. College sports invoke passion because of the different traditions, and styles and passion of the play on the court. Pro sports are about greatness and talent and players dominate which is how it should be-but the sell of the entire environment around the game is awful thanks to Adam Silver and his cronies. But it'll still be men's fault for the obvious decline and lack of a sustained bump from the Clark/Reese Rocky like atmosphere and then the Clark show of her deep bombs and open court play.

Man, SC is quickly becoming the dominant women’s bball program now that Tennessee has fallen to wayside post-Summit, and Auriemma’s UConn can no longer seal the deal vs real competition.
Auriemma's team is making UK Men's team look like the Cal Ripken model for a program. That's how often his team has dealt with injuries. Need to look at the training and honestly these players need to rest a bit more-they do too much training/specializing at a young age and that's not good for the ligaments and joints of young people. Leads to more injuries. Why you should play different sports in HS--helps build up use and movements in different ways and not so much stress on knees/ankles/feet.

Better at what? Clark averages the same amount of steals as Stewart did. She averages 7 rebounds a game. She’s third in assists. These are significant things one cannot overlook when comparing. This isn’t Jimmer Fredette who is just shooting. She’s doing a ton.

Those girls you mentioned were great but they were not better than Clark.
So your going to double down on Clark.
Mya Moore and and Caitlyn Clark are guarding each other the whole game. What do you think the outcome will be?
The girl from Uconn had Clark in the bag Friday night before the officials decided to call some bogus fouls to give Clark room to breath. She was 10 for 28 to get her 30. Miss me with that mess. She will be a solid WNBA player though.

Reactions: d2atTech
Don't forget about Candace Parker and Cheryl Miller. Clark is a great shooter and she has a decent handle, but she gets lots of help from the refs. Some of her flops were beyond ridiculous. She complains after every shot. She doesn't even try to play defense.
She’s literally third in career assists. She’s more than “just a shooter.”

So your going to double down on Clark.
Mya Moore and and Caitlyn Clark are guarding each other the whole game. What do you think the outcome will be?
The girl from Uconn had Clark in the bag Friday night before the officials decided to call some bogus fouls to give Clark room to breath. She was 10 for 28 to get her 30. Miss me with that mess. She will be a solid WNBA player though.
When your four other teammates aren’t much of a threat, there’s a lot more focus defensively on one player defensively.

Clark will do well in the WNBA especially with a good big.

Last edited:
Reactions: d2atTech
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT