ADVERTISEMENT

With Big Z officially here, what is our ceiling NOW

Don't have a problem with the players or team. My issue is with calipari. Still gonna support the team and hope I'm wrong. I still supported and watched joker UK football and watch the titans knowing we have almost a 0% chance of winning the super bowl.

Sorry all the sunshine pumpers think I'm a bad fan for expecting the underperforming seasons to continue but it's been 3 years and even some of the few before that weren't good.

I'll take a more kinder response to the OP and say sweet 16 or elite 8 at best. Better than last 3 seasons but still winning nothing that matters.
This where I am as well. I simply just don’t believe in, or trust Calipari anymore.

I said before on HOB that I don't think he affects our ceiling that much, but does raise our floor with the injury concerns for our bigs. Good insurance and a chance he's better than we think. Low risk, high reward.
That’s what I think, until he plays and we see his actual impact on the court we won’t know. I like the potential and depth though.

If Ivisic runs the floor and shoots the three then we have a chance. If he's parked at eight feet on the block every minute then we're sunk.
Youth and lack of experience playing as a team is going to be what derails this team.
Cal's crazy lineups and hard headedness is certainly not going to help, but I'm anxious to see how it plays out and I hope I'm wrong. I hope Cal reinvents himself and has a mic drop moment.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Why don't you hang on to that prediction and post it at the end of the year?
Sure, why not? I've never had a problem admitting when I'm wrong. I don't disappear like so many others do and get this… are you ready for this? I want to be wrong.

Sadly, the last 3 years, I haven't been wrong. Actually, I was a little wrong in 20/21, I thought we would only lose 12.

It’s actually pretty easy, young teams aren't winning anything in today’s game. It doesn't work and all the injuries that keep happening make it even worse.

Just think, if DJ or Edwards get hurt, this team isn't beating anybody. It’s tough to roll the next guy out and keep pace when you're so young and inexperienced.

Again, I hope Cal proves me wrong.

Youth and lack of experience playing as a team is going to be what derails this team.
Cal's crazy lineups and hard headedness is certainly not going to help, but I'm anxious to see how it plays out and I hope I'm wrong. I hope Cal reinvents himself and has a mic drop moment.
If Cal wins the natty you will find something to complain about. Shephard didn't play enough. Reeves shoots too much. Cal plays favorites. Cal can't coach and the players won on their own. We know your response before it even happens. The best predictor of future performance is past performance and we all know your past performance.

And that is what some fans expect every year. Hard to do that with the NCAA in charge and the rampant cheating.
Really? Who? I've never seen anyone except the obvious troll and non-fan HerrosHeroes utter such absurdities. Please, tell us.

Reactions: KFuqua
If Cal wins the natty you will find something to complain about. Shephard didn't play enough. Reeves shoots too much. Cal plays favorites. Cal can't coach and the players won on their own. We know your response before it even happens. The best predictor of future performance is past performance and we all know your past performance.
Really? Do you have evidence of him complaining after our win against KU in 2012? I'd like to see you produce that.

He will be obviously.

With 3 lottery picks, 2 other NBA draft picks, plus an SEC POY caliber guy in Reeves, and a veteran stud like Mitchell, PLUS Sheppard, Thiero, etc., you think our ceiling is Sweet 16?

There aren't 5 or 6 teams in the country with more talent and versatility than our team.

Not predicting we win it all or make it through to the Final Four, but to believe or act like this team is not even CAPABLE of making it past the Sweet Sixteen is so incredibly dumb.
Its not the talent I'm questioning dumbass, cals in game adjustment decisions or lack there of, over the last few years are undeniable. A lot of talent will only get you so far if it isn't utilized correctly. UK has lost time and time again over the last few years to inferior talent. We will know in December if the coaching has improved.

Last edited:
Geez, since you were born. And here I thought I was an early fan, and that was in big part because I had several older brothers that were big fans. But I can only remember being a big fan since about 1944 when I started grade school.
Way to avoid the subject we're talking about. Maybe a very slight exaggeration on my part, but not by much. Some of my first memories with my father are watching or listening to Kentucky basketball games. So I was born into my Kentucky fandom and it's been there my entire life. We get it, you don't care about Kentucky Basketball and you're happy to watch Cal destroy it, but for me, I've been a fan as long as I can remember (and I'll be 60 in March); through the good and through the bad, and I'll be here long after Cal is gone and I'll still be cheering for my Cats like I always have. If you don't like that....too bad!

Reactions: Samurai Cat
So, you don't understand why 87 feels the way he does and you feel like he's not a UK fan?

How can so many "fans" be so forgetful?

Is Z better than Oscar? Oscar was a NPOY and a generational rebounder. He was also a highly skilled scorer on the block.

Look what happened the 2 years Oscar was here. 1st round upset loss in '22 and a 2nd round loss in '23 after losing 12 games.

How can y'all not see what's happening? You guys think it’s crazy to use recent history as facts, you want us to forget about 9-16, Saint Peters, 12 losses and one NCAAT win in 3 years.

Yeah, the star power on this team is better, but those stars are based on furure potential, not what they can do now. our youth is a massive problem and so is Cal.
Hi Jeff, hope all is well. I think the fact that the star power has shifted to the guard position as opposed to being centered around Oscar is the difference here. Sure, we'll have to see how it shakes out. But having Oscar is like having a Saquon Barkley or Derrick Henry, who are obvious stars, but a RB in today's NFL can't make you into a title winner... especially when you have Daniel Jones and Ryan Tannehill as your QBs. Wheeler wasn't the guy that could get us there, and while Tyty and Cason were great pieces, I'd like to think our group of guards this year will be a step above (and of course, injuries played a part for both Tyty and Cason). This team just seems like one of those previous Cal's teams with high-level guard play that has a chance to be special. Of course, I've never been more wrong about a team than I was coming into last year's season... so I'll sit back and watch, enjoy the ride, and hope for the best!

• Love
Reactions: kyjeff1
Hi Jeff, hope all is well. I think the fact that the star power has shifted to the guard position as opposed to being centered around Oscar is the difference here. Sure, we'll have to see how it shakes out. But having Oscar is like having a Saquon Barkley or Derrick Henry, who are obvious stars, but a RB in today's NFL can't make you into a title winner... especially when you have Daniel Jones and Ryan Tannehill as your QBs. Wheeler wasn't the guy that could get us there, and while Tyty and Cason were great pieces, I'd like to think our group of guards this year will be a step above (and of course, injuries played a part for both Tyty and Cason). This team just seems like one of those previous Cal's teams with high-level guard play that has a chance to be special. Of course, I've never been more wrong about a team than I was coming into last year's season... so I'll sit back and watch, enjoy the ride, and hope for the best!
Heyyyy Zac, how are you? Hope things are going in the right direction for you.

You make great points here and I think you're right. It’s a guard's game now, has been for about 10 years.

Rim protection and post play can't be your priority and all the proof we need is right there in front of us. Look at the teams making it to final 4's and winning titles. Those are teams that spread the floor via excellent guard play.

But still, Cal has to play the right players and make the right in-game adjustments and that’s where the concern is.

I still feel like he is too in love with his old school post offense and will not trust a spread offense, but we shall see.

I think Cal's defensive philosophies are very good, but I've found that our defense always feeds off our offense. When our offense is rockin', our defensive intensity ratchets up. That’s what young teams do.

Good to see you on here Zac

Heyyyy Zac, how are you? Hope things are going in the right direction for you.

You make great points here and I think you're right. It’s a guard's game now, has been for about 10 years.

Rim protection and post play can't be your priority and all the proof we need is right there in front of us. Look at the teams making it to final 4's and winning titles. Those are teams that spread the floor via excellent guard play.

But still, Cal has to play the right players and make the right in-game adjustments and that’s where the concern is.

I still feel like he is too in love with his old school post offense and will not trust a spread offense, but we shall see.

I think Cal's defensive philosophies are very good, but I've found that our defense always feeds off our offense. When our offense is rockin', our defensive intensity ratchets up. That’s what young teams do.

Good to see you on here Zac
I agree, the onus is certainly on Cal to make the right moves. It seemingly looks like he's got the pieces to make a run, but it's on him to bring it together. Maybe he's got another title run in him, let's all hope!

On a personal note, I'm doing the best I've been doing all year. Had a couple pretty big surgeries in mid-July and three weeks ago. I had quite a bit of cancer they had to rip out. Took out my spleen, gallbladder, appendix, and portions of my colon and pancreas... they even took away my belly button if you can believe that! Haha probably TMI, but the good news is they think they got it all and so far scans have confirmed that. I'm stage four, so there's a high probability some stuff comes back at some point... but we're hoping that's years down the road. I've never been a big guy, but I'm trying my best to overhaul my diet and remain as healthy as possible moving forward. It is possible to be a long-term survivor, and I'm planning on being one of those! Always appreciate your kind words my man. I know you get a lot of shit on here, but you're a good guy and we all just want the CATS to return to the top of the mountain! GBB!

We have the talent to beat any team in the country by double digits, but talent has never been the problem.

Look at all the draft picks every year. The teams that are actually winning, don't have half the talent Cal has at his disposal.

Every year we say: "there aren't 5 teams that have better talent than this team has". Then we go out and lose to SP, or go 9-16, or collect 12 losses with a lottery pick and a NPOY, or lose at home to Evansville.

We still have the same coach. So my prediction is 22-10 and a sweet 16 appearance.

But hey, at least it's one round better than last year and 2 rounds better than '22, so Cal is improving. Yeahhhh Cal

Oh and hey KL90210, save your stupid troll reply, nobody cares about your love for Cal.
Agreed. However, our guard play should be exponentially improved compared to the last three seasons IMO. Furthermore, Cal needs 1/2 guards that can create and drive the ball. We should have that.

Reactions: kyjeff1
I agree, the onus is certainly on Cal to make the right moves. It seemingly looks like he's got the pieces to make a run, but it's on him to bring it together. Maybe he's got another title run in him, let's all hope!

On a personal note, I'm doing the best I've been doing all year. Had a couple pretty big surgeries in mid-July and three weeks ago. I had quite a bit of cancer they had to rip out. Took out my spleen, gallbladder, appendix, and portions of my colon and pancreas... they even took away my belly button if you can believe that! Haha probably TMI, but the good news is they think they got it all and so far scans have confirmed that. I'm stage four, so there's a high probability some stuff comes back at some point... but we're hoping that's years down the road. I've never been a big guy, but I'm trying my best to overhaul my diet and remain as healthy as possible moving forward. It is possible to be a long-term survivor, and I'm planning on being one of those! Always appreciate your kind words my man. I know you get a lot of shit on here, but you're a good guy and we all just want the CATS to return to the top of the mountain! GBB!
That’s great to hear. Prayers to you.

Holy cow man, you have been through it. I really hope you stay in remission from here on out.

Yes, Cal definitely has all the pieces one could possibly wish for, but I'm being cautious here, because every year we deal with 2 things. Injuries to key players and young guys that don't live up to the hype they came in with.

My worry is Bradshaw (for both reasons) and Dillingham. I had concerns with Bradshaw's skill level prior to his injury and now I feel even less confident in his ability to step on a college court and out play a bunch of juniors and seniors that know how to use their bodies and win.

23/24 is going to be the oldest college basketball has ever been. There's going to he 26 year olds out there. That’s a lot to overcome.

I hope Cal makes me regret everything negative I've ever said about him, I'm rooting for that to happen. I'll gladly eat crow if it means UK.is successful.

Reactions: FinancialPlannerZac
Agreed. However, our guard play should be exponentially improved compared to the last three seasons IMO. Furthermore, Cal needs 1/2 guards that can create and drive the ball. We should have that.
We'll need to see it. Every year we have guys that come in with a lot of hype, but then don't even come close to showing it. The system Cal plays makes it hard for these guys to show what they can do, but also, these guys are rated that high based on future success, not what they can do now.

There's a lot of weight on Edwards shoulders right now, both he and Wagner have massive hype shoes to fill and they have to do it at a time where cbb is older than it has ever been. It’s the wrong time to be young.

Don't have a problem with the players or team. My issue is with calipari. Still gonna support the team and hope I'm wrong. I still supported and watched joker UK football and watch the titans knowing we have almost a 0% chance of winning the super bowl.

Sorry all the sunshine pumpers think I'm a bad fan for expecting the underperforming seasons to continue but it's been 3 years and even some of the few before that weren't good.

I'll take a more kinder response to the OP and say sweet 16 or elite 8 at best. Better than last 3 seasons but still winning nothing that matters.
Some of us pattern recognizing fans know where you were coming from, and for me it’s totally justified. We would rather have a wait and see approach, while some other fans reset back to make believe and pretend mode before the start of every season, and they’re the ones bitching the loudest at the end of the season when fans like us end up being right.

As far as I’m concerned, Cal’s in the doghouse until he proves he can still win, but I will always 100% support the players and personal who earn that support.

At this time of the year the ceiling is always another championship. I'm not sure how Big Z will play or how much time he will get, but I look forward to seeing a 7'2" guy playing in blue. From some of the highlights he kind of reminds me of Bowie pre injury if there was a 3 pt line at the time.

Big Z in my IMO is better than Bradshaw - I think it's Final 4 or bust now.

But do we know that? After all, we haven’t seen him practice yet! Just because Matt Pilgrim was a beast, doesn't mean this dude will be! 😅

P.S. Seriously, Ugonna has been admitted, now going on his second year now... Being admitted to the school doesn’t automatically translate into seeing the floor with CCC. It’s always a roll of the dice for new players being able to avoid CCC’s doghouse.

But do we know that? After all, we haven’t seen him practice yet! Just because Matt Pilgrim was a beast, doesn't mean this dude will be! 😅

P.S. Seriously, Ugonna has been admitted, now going on his second year now... Being admitted to the school doesn’t automatically translate into seeing the floor with CCC. It’s always a roll of the dice for new players being able to avoid CCC’s doghouse.

I'm subjectively low on Bradshaw so it's not a high hill to climb for me... but looks like I'm one of the few that appear to be on this hill.

We will see just glad the season is almost here.

Is he eligible to play this year? I thought all this meant was that UK accepted him into school?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT