ADVERTISEMENT

Win Championships, period.

We were a true contender last year too. 7 years minimum.

Most of UK's recent championship teams were absolutely dominant. 1978, 1996, and 2012. In all of those years the title was UK's to lose. There may be a small group of fans that do not consider UK to be contenders unless they're absolutely dominant. I agree with you that we were contenders in seven of 10 years. I think the other group would only consider UK to be contenders in 2010, 2012 and 2015. I don't agree with that.

Reactions: Aike
Fair it was a stupid post then, we almost won a title in 2014 and 2015 and if you honestly can’t see that then there is no use discussing this with you because you just want to complain and pout
Almost is exactly the problem. I'm pretty sure my post addressed that. I'm sure we'll almost win a couple more. You don't need to agree with me, just wait and see.

If Cal. takes more pride in getting players in the NBA than winning NCAA Championships at Kentucky, he needs to be replaced.

Now I’m no first time poster but this NBA bs is getting out of hand. Not having full rosters of players that your forced to take baseball players is not what UK Basketball is about. It’s like UK has become a farm team for the NBA.

To me, when you only care about your one and done players you cheapen the UK brand and slap the face of the Kentuckians that grew up living and breathing the play of the players that cared about Kentucky and could care less than a NBA contract.

That’s my opinion.
OP, I agree with everything you said. Ten years and Cal's teams are not trending upward right now. So many on here argue the notion that everything is ok with this team and this season. Don't worry just trust in Cal is their attitude and some even say it. Well, I'm not happy with his recruiting and his coaching.

Reactions: KFuqua
Nod a troll? Then drunk and repetitive?

Please clarify this part of your post. "Nod a troll" I understand that's a simple typo so I can understand that but so many others love to bring up typos...it's easy to do. But I don't understand the drunk and repetitive part of your post. Who's drunk? MHD? I think he was expressing his opinion in a pretty coherent manner...and he didn't get overly emotional about it...which, if he was being overly emotional, then that might be a sign of being drunk...

Please clarify this part of your post. "Nod a troll" I understand that's a simple typo so I can understand that but so many others love to bring up typos...it's easy to do. But I don't understand the drunk and repetitive part of your post. Who's drunk? MHD? I think he was expressing his opinion in a pretty coherent manner...and he didn't get overly emotional about it...which, if he was being overly emotional, then that might be a sign of being drunk...

Nod = Not.

All that drivel about the NBA is utter nonsense and factually incorrect. Only really ignorant fans and trolls actually believe that crap. The most forgiving interpretation is that the poster is overly emotional and drunk. Otherwise they are trolls or unbelievably stupid.

How exactly do you think we won that title in 2012?

You win titles by getting talented players. You get talented players by becoming an attractive place to go because we get our guys to the NBA.

The two objectives go together.

After 10 years I figured people would realize this.
Lol It worked in 2012 because he got AD. I thought you would have realized that.

I'm not ok with players coming to Ky because they can go pro after a year in Cal's system. I want them to come to Ky because they want to win titles.

Cal said it himself the night he got 5 drafted after his first season here. He said it was the greatest night in UK history. So according to what he said, he would rather have guys drafted than win titles.

I don't know about you, but for me, winning a title is the greatest night in UK history and NOT getting guys drafted.

I could care less about the NBA or draft night. Championships is the goal. Cal has all these kids drafted and 1 championship to show for it. What does that say?

We load up on young talent and as the stage gets bigger they play tighter. It doesn't work. Considering the talent that has worn the jersey, one has to question Cal.

Pick one or the other. Young Talent plays tighter and it doesn’t work or considering the talent one has to question Cal.

Nod = Not.

All that drivel about the NBA is utter nonsense and factually incorrect. Only really ignorant fans and trolls actually believe that crap. The most forgiving interpretation is that the poster is overly emotional and drunk. Otherwise they are trolls or unbelievably stupid.
(On the 2010 draft) “The biggest day in the history of Kentucky’s program.” – John Calipari

There are UK fans that consider UK basketball and NCAA Titles more important than that ^^^^

Lol It worked in 2012 because he got AD. I thought you would have realized that.

I'm not ok with players coming to Ky because they can go pro after a year in Cal's system. I want them to come to Ky because they want to win titles.
You do realize that the 2 are not mutually exclusive right?

Any of you ever think that Cal believes that getting players to the NBA is the best way for him to win games at UK? It's not a one-or-the-other thing. I know many pine for the days when you get to know a guy over four years, but that's not the game now. Blame the NBA or the entire AAU culture for that, but the truth is that top players want to get paid as fast as possible.

If titles are your ONLY metric for being successful, then Cal is like any coach not named Rupp and you should go root for Duke since Coach K has more titles than anyone still coaching. By any other metric, Cal has been one of the most successful coaches of our time.
I agree with you that Cal probably believes this strategy gives him the best chance to win. I’m not sure it’s proving to be true.

Your second point I don’t agree with. UK fans have always placed the highest importance on winning championships. Now we have fans touting elite eights and final fours. When have we ever cared that much for those things?

I agree with you that Cal probably believes this strategy gives him the best chance to win. I’m not sure it’s proving to be true.

Your second point I don’t agree with. UK fans have always placed the highest importance on winning championships. Now we have fans touting elite eights and final fours. When have we ever cared that much for those things?
I’m pretty sure there is a mega thread with a list of reasons we are the greatest and i can assure you total wins, final 4 and elite 8’s are all listed

I’m pretty sure there is a mega thread with a list of reasons we are the greatest and i can assure you total wins, final 4 and elite 8’s are all listed
That’s not the same thing. There can be lots of metrics on a list of why our program is better than others. It doesn’t mean fans covet all those metrics the same way they covet championships. When Cal was hired all the talk was how we were going to catch UCLA under his watch. The focus of this fan base has always been championships.

That’s not the same thing. There can be lots of metrics on a list of why your program is better than others. It doesn’t mean fans covet all those metrics the same way they covet championships. When Cal was hired all the talk was how we were going to catch UCLA under his watch. The focus of this fan base has always been championships.
It is exactly the same thing, yes the title is the ultimate goal but if that was all that ever mattered then UCLA would be the best program. They are not, we are for exactly the reasons you are trying to say don’t matter

It is exactly the same thing, yes the title is the ultimate goal but if that was all that ever mattered then UCLA would be the best program. They are not, we are for exactly the reasons you are trying to say don’t matter
Still not the same thing. Do you really covet elite eights and final fours remotely as much as you do championships? I don’t think most fans do.

Still not the same thing. Do you really covet elite eights and final fours remotely as much as you do championships? I don’t think most fans do.
Of course not a title is the goal and anything sort of that will leave a bitter taste but to completely discredit final 4’s elite 8 or wins is silly. They are benchmark achievements and the only reason to discredit them is if you have an agenda.

Any of you ever think that Cal believes that getting players to the NBA is the best way for him to win games at UK? It's not a one-or-the-other thing. I know many pine for the days when you get to know a guy over four years, but that's not the game now. Blame the NBA or the entire AAU culture for that, but the truth is that top players want to get paid as fast as possible.

If titles are your ONLY metric for being successful, then Cal is like any coach not named Rupp and you should go root for Duke since Coach K has more titles than anyone still coaching. By any other metric, Cal has been one of the most successful coaches of our time.

They type of people who post things like the OP is not capable of thinking at a high enough level to understand. Only a freakin' moron would actually think that Cal doesn't care about winning titles. They're simply not capable of understanding that it's a means to an end and Cal's way of communicating to the players in the language that they respect. The ones who bitch and moan about the one and done apparently don't know that the NBA id the reason for the one and done. Or perhaps they just wanna constantly bitch about something.

Of course not a title is the goal and anything sort of that will leave a bitter taste but to completely discredit final 4’s elite 8 or wins is silly. They are benchmark achievements and the only reason to discredit them is if you have an agenda.
I’m not discrediting them. I’m pointing out that they are a very distant second to championships. It just seems like we suddenly have a segment of our fan base that is satisfied with not really contending for championships and settling for bragging about elite eights and final fours. That to me is a lowering of our standards.

You don't believe the majority of players that have come through UK didn't want to win titles?

After hearing stories about how some teams cried in locker rooms after losing final games of seasons, I find that extremely hard to believe.

Most players want to win titles AND go to the NBA.
Cal wants to win TITLES and send players to the NBA.

The two goals can co exist. And one goal can lead to another. Best chance to win a title is get the best players.......naturally those best players also have dreams of making the NBA. Both can happen.

Reactions: Kampus Korner
I’m not discrediting them. I’m pointing out that they are a very distant second to championships. It just seems like we suddenly have a segment of our fan base that is satisfied with not really contending for championships and settling for bragging about elite eights and final fours. That to me is a lowering of our standards.
If you are in the elite 8 and especially final 4 you are by default a title contender how is that so hard to understand.

Reactions: The_Answer1313
You should either not count Rupp’s 10 years without an existing NCAA tournament to play in. Or count his other two championships/titles (1 Helms, 1 NIT).

So 4 in 32 years. Or 6 in 41 years.
I won't argue the nit title but screw a helms title.

If you are in the elite 8 and especially final 4 you are by default a title contender how is that so hard to understand.

Exactly.

And given the random nature of a one and done tournament, my thing with Cal is just put us in the conversation. Make us a contender most years because the only way u are getting titles is to be in the conversation consistently. And he's done that in 7 of our 10 seasons.

Reactions: CincinnatiWildcat
Tubby won 1 in 10 years. ALL of you were AZZholes and TERRIBLE human beings for not giving him another 30 years to try and win 3 more.

Cal needs an offensive coordinator because the game is passing him by. if you cant see that then maybe talking basketball isnt your thing.
I love the guys on here that know basketball better than a HOF coach.

(On the 2010 draft) “The biggest day in the history of Kentucky’s program.” – John Calipari

There are UK fans that consider UK basketball and NCAA Titles more important than that ^^^^

Dain Bramage. That was marketing, you poor thing. Are you truly so dense. I mean that’s so obvious even meth headed U6 fans troll us over it. I have a Duke fan acquaintance that rubs me that we have fans so ignorant and stupid that they actually didn’t see it as marketing.

I don’t think that you are that big a moron.

22nd,
8th
2nd
38th
14th
6th
5th
12th
24th
14th
29th

That's the offensive efficiency rankings under Cal in his UK tenure.

People might not like the fact our offense is based on offensive rebounds and getting to the line, it might not be pretty but it's been efficient.

22nd,
8th
2nd
38th
14th
6th
5th
12th
24th
14th
29th

People might not like the fact our offense is based on offensive rebounds and getting to the line, it might not be pretty but it's been efficient.

But that’s not how they do it on the PlayStation.

The reason that 10, 12 and 15 were great is because the season as a whole was a fun, exciting ride. Not because of the championships or final fours, per say. Hell 10 didn’t even get to a final four. Those seasons will always stick in people’s minds because of how fun the seasons were from start to finish. We were dominating people all year long. So to act like the season doesn’t matter until the tournament starts (like we have the last 4 years) is crazy.

Reactions: susan2361
22nd,
8th
2nd
38th
14th
6th
5th
12th
24th
14th
29th

The biggest problem right now is that the backup center is the only guy on the team that can make a three. And I think we have guys getting some pretty decent looks. If we can ever get that up to the 38% range Cal’s system will probably start looking pretty good. I’m just not confident this team can do that.

None of them were 64 game tourneys

no but as a number 1 seed you should always make the sweet 16 which is what the tourneys were like in Rupp’s day. Last years UK team would not have made the tourney of back then since only the conference champ made it. No at large teams.

Dain Bramage. That was marketing, you poor thing. Are you truly so dense. I mean that’s so obvious even meth headed U6 fans troll us over it. I have a Duke fan acquaintance that rubs me that we have fans so ignorant and stupid that they actually didn’t see it as marketing.

I don’t think that you are that big a moron.
Thanks for the vulgar response. Tells me what I need to know about you as a person.

no but as a number 1 seed you should always make the sweet 16 which is what the tourneys were like in Rupp’s day. Last years UK team would not have made the tourney of back then since only the conference champ made it. No at large teams.
I believe the SEC was smaller as well were they not. Rupp is a legendary coach and the absolute face of UK basketball tradition but he also had his ups and downs.

The biggest problem right now is that the backup center is the only guy on the team that can make a three. And I think we have guys getting some pretty decent looks. If we can ever get that up to the 38% range Cal’s system will probably start looking pretty good. I’m just not confident this team can do that.

I agree. This year has definitely been a struggle on offense.

There's very little on this team where u can rely on them to be consistently good offensive players.

Reactions: gojvc
That’s not necessarily true. Lots of teams that make the elite eight or final four aren’t competitive with the top team or two.
Sure not george mason etc. again we are talking about Kentucky though and all of our teams have since cal has been here if they made it that far

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT