ADVERTISEMENT

Win Championships, period.

Fair point. Of course, the inability to win a 2nd in 2014 or 2015 has made people think he could be here another 30 years and still just have one. I hate to say I agree but I do. I think Cal is much closer to Dean Smith than Rupp.
2015 hurt us all. We were on the doorstep of history. We lost to the only team that could have beat us. I don't gamble but if I did I would have bet my life on duke in the finals. Beating us was Wisconsins championship. If he gets #2 there everyone looks at this different. I still think he gets 1-2 more. Hope like hell I am right.

Just because you keep saying he
I don’t know which is his number one goal and neither do you or anyone saying it’s the NBA but y’all seem to think if you just keep saying it that makes it true
Cal said it himself the night he got 5 drafted after his first season here. He said it was the greatest night in UK history. So according to what he said, he would rather have guys drafted than win titles.

I don't know about you, but for me, winning a title is the greatest night in UK history and NOT getting guys drafted.

Cal said it himself the night he got 5 drafted after his first season here. He said it was the greatest night in UK history. So according to what he said, he would rather have guys drafted than win titles.

I don't know about you, but for me, winning a title is the greatest night in UK history and NOT getting guys drafted.
Well he did say that before he won a title here so he didn’t know what a title felt like....
Say you get married and say that is the greatest moment of your life, 2 years later you have kids... does that mean for all of eternity i can say you don’t care about your kids since you said getting married was the best moment of your life?

I think his point was the draft success sets up future recruiting.

If Cal. takes more pride in getting players in the NBA than winning NCAA Championships at Kentucky, he needs to be replaced.

Now I’m no first time poster but this NBA bs is getting out of hand. Not having full rosters of players that your forced to take baseball players is not what UK Basketball is about. It’s like UK has become a farm team for the NBA.

To me, when you only care about your one and done players you cheapen the UK brand and slap the face of the Kentuckians that grew up living and breathing the play of the players that cared about Kentucky and could care less than a NBA contract.

That’s my opinion.

Man you’re living in the past. You need to get over it. I get it; but it’s not like that anymore. I’m not even that old (35) and even I can see the entire landscape has changed. College basketball is becoming (has) more professionalized and glamorized and it will continue to do so.
Some of these guys are literally worth millions before they take a step foot on campus. Can we blame them? It’s the culture now. It’s how society is. Glitz, glamor etc.

Times are changing and we just kinda have to accept it. It will never be like it was 15+ years ago ever again.

Lastly, only being satisfied with titles and seeing anything else as a monumental failure is ridiculous as you’ll be upset and downtrodden most years.
I’m of the mindset that we should (most years) be in the hunt/ conversation of making a FF/ title run and typically by March we are.

I will say tho, this year has been a bit rough so far.

If Cal. takes more pride in getting players in the NBA than winning NCAA Championships at Kentucky, he needs to be replaced.

Now I’m no first time poster but this NBA bs is getting out of hand. Not having full rosters of players that your forced to take baseball players is not what UK Basketball is about. It’s like UK has become a farm team for the NBA.

To me, when you only care about your one and done players you cheapen the UK brand and slap the face of the Kentuckians that grew up living and breathing the play of the players that cared about Kentucky and could care less than a NBA contract.

That’s my opinion.

Like the goofy blue tints that permeate this board and will claim it’s getting guys to the nba, it’s also stupid to expect to win a Title every year.

However, it’s not bad to expect you should compete for a ncaa title each year, especially with the number of stars by their name and their mindset of testing the nba draft (even though a lot have stunk up the floor in college)

Reactions: RunninRichie

How exactly do you think we won that title in 2012?

You win titles by getting talented players. You get talented players by becoming an attractive place to go because we get our guys to the NBA.

The two objectives go together.

After 10 years I figured people would realize this.

And TBH arguing which is more important to him isn't really relevant because based on the track record it's very clear Cal values winning. We've won more games in the last 10 years than any other program.

I mean you'd have much more of an argument about caring about the NBA over winning if we weren't..........winning.

Reactions: CincinnatiWildcat

That’s my opinion.

Damn, do trolls ever have an original thought? More and more trite bullshit.

Any of you ever think that Cal believes that getting players to the NBA is the best way for him to win games at UK? It's not a one-or-the-other thing. I know many pine for the days when you get to know a guy over four years, but that's not the game now. Blame the NBA or the entire AAU culture for that, but the truth is that top players want to get paid as fast as possible.

If titles are your ONLY metric for being successful, then Cal is like any coach not named Rupp and you should go root for Duke since Coach K has more titles than anyone still coaching. By any other metric, Cal has been one of the most successful coaches of our time.

It seems as though he recruits a lot of raw talent and not highly skilled guys. Whitney, for instance, may have a future in the NBA but he is not skilled at this point in his development. This may be incorrect but it doesn't seem that he will ever be at a point in his freshman season to be a productive player at the University of Kentucky. The correction would be to get some skilled guys that stuck around. It seems the culture is either go to the NBA the first year or transfer. Cal seems to put a lot of emphasis on athleticism and defense while ignoring shooting.

I've said for years now, Cal won't win another championship here. He had a generational player in AD but in general his formula doesn't work. We load up on young talent and as the stage gets bigger they play tighter. It doesn't work. Cal can retire tomorrow or a decade from now, he will only have 1 title. Considering the talent that has worn the jersey, one has to question Cal.

Man you’re living in the past. You need to get over it. I get it; but it’s not like that anymore. I’m not even that old (35) and even I can see the entire landscape has changed. College basketball is becoming (has) more professionalized and glamorized and it will continue to do so.
Some of these guys are literally worth millions before they take a step foot on campus. Can we blame them? It’s the culture now. It’s how society is. Glitz, glamor etc.

Times are changing and we just kinda have to accept it. It will never be like it was 15+ years ago ever again.

Lastly, only being satisfied with titles and seeing anything else as a monumental failure is ridiculous as you’ll be upset and downtrodden most years.
I’m of the mindset that we should (most years) be in the hunt/ conversation of making a FF/ title run and typically by March we are.

I will say tho, this year has been a bit rough so far.

There is a lot of space between titles only and losing to Evansville.

Reactions: KyFaninNC
I've said for years now, Cal won't win another championship here. He had a generational player in AD but in general his formula doesn't work. We load up on young talent and as the stage gets bigger they play tighter. It doesn't work. Cal can retire tomorrow or a decade from now, he will only have 1 title. Considering the talent that has worn the jersey, one has to question Cal.
1/10 troll post try to make it more believable next time

Reactions: RunninRichie
It seems as though he recruits a lot of raw talent and not highly skilled guys. Whitney, for instance, may have a future in the NBA but he is not skilled at this point in his development. This may be incorrect but it doesn't seem that he will ever be at a point in his freshman season to be a productive player at the University of Kentucky. The correction would be to get some skilled guys that stuck around. It seems the culture is either go to the NBA the first year or transfer. Cal seems to put a lot of emphasis on athleticism and defense while ignoring shooting.

I think this is easier said that done. Getting skilled guys that stick around that is. I mean that would be ideal of course. But the guys that tend to stick around tend to be........not as skilled.

I mean I don't want to bash any of our guys but getting multiple seasons of Nick Richards or EJ isn't winning us a national title if we are being honest.

But the guys that have produced for us and the guys that made us have good years.......they aren't sticking around. And it's understandable as to why they wouldn't.

So I don't know. Maybe things will change in the future when the NBA allows players to jump right from HS. We'll get maybe less skilled guys that will stick around multiple years but still the type of talent that's productive and can help us win

No.

I mean some players develop differently than others and if we truly want multiple year guys maybe we should give Whitney time to grow but so far he's definitely not been good.

He will be gone before he gets a chance here. I understand why he's gone and I don't hold that against him. The only thing he brings here is having an NBA player possibly in the future. His skill set right now is not going to benefit the University of Kentucky.

Now if he turns into LeBron James tomorrow I never wrote this.

I've been saying the same thing since before you were even on this board. Just a quick reminder, just because you dont like a post doesn't make it a troll post. Grow up.
Fair it was a stupid post then, we almost won a title in 2014 and 2015 and if you honestly can’t see that then there is no use discussing this with you because you just want to complain and pout

Either have “player connectivity” and be a contender every few years or get elite freshmen and be contenders most years.. I’ll take the latter. The problem isn’t not having upperclassmen the problem is we don’t have great freshmen.
UK has not been a true contender after 2015. this team will loose 9 to 11 games this year end up a 8-9 seed come home the first weekend

He will be gone before he gets a chance here. I understand why he's gone and I don't hold that against him. The only thing he brings here is having an NBA player possibly in the future. His skill set right now is not going to benefit the University of Kentucky.

Now if he turns into LeBron James tomorrow I never wrote this.

It's possible he's just a bust
I know there were some on here even before the season started that weren't very high on him.

Fair it was a stupid post then, we almost won a title in 2014 and 2015 and if you honestly can’t see that then there is no use discussing this with you because you just want to complain and pout

Right. And if Aaron Harrison showed us anything in 2014, it’s how much freshmen choke under pressure.

Monk drilled a three to tie UNC right before we lost at the buzzer.

Herro hits a huge shot to knock off Houston in the Sweet 16, but it’s forgotten because of the Auburn game.

People want to focus on the negative and act like that’s the whole story. Most of the story is that it is an incredibly difficult tournament to win, and we’re right there knocking on the door every year.

People said Tony Bennett would never win one, then laughed him out of the country when he fell to a 16 seed. Now it’s just, “Oops. Guess he did win one.” Or more likely they say nothing at all.

Talk is cheap on a message board, and the easiest, laziest argument to make is that Team X won’t win it all. There’s a 90%+ chance you’ll be right every season.

You get to pat yourself on the back like you’re a basketball genius. Then when you’re finally, eventually wrong, it’s, “Glad Cal finally listened and did things the right way!” That or total silence.

It's possible he's just a bust
I know there were some on here even before the season started that weren't very high on him.

Look at the lower skilled guys we had the first few years under Calipari versus the lower skilled guys we have now. There is a tremendous difference in the number. Archie caused a lot of us to go nuts. We get lots of Archies now.

What many folks fail to see or keep forgetting about with all these 1 and dined is that it's not just Coach Cal and Kentucky ..... that is simply the landscape of college basketball today!! Yes trust me I want players that would stay several years but good grief folks ..... If we don't recruit these 5 ⭐ players then most of you will piss n moan about not getting the best players!!!! It's a friggin Catch 22!! So what is coach supposed to do???? I for one can't stand how the landscape for college ball is today but I thank God that we have a coach that fights every year for elite talent and gets many of them! I hate every loss n get depressed over them like any of you do but at the same time I understand we're gonna take hits when we don't think we should, yeah it truly sucks bad but I'll never bash n bad mouth our Cats! Take our licks n pray for the best and keep rooting Big Blue!!!

#BBN

Well he did say that before he won a title here so he didn’t know what a title felt like....
Say you get married and say that is the greatest moment of your life, 2 years later you have kids... does that mean for all of eternity i can say you don’t care about your kids since you said getting married was the best moment of your life?
Not an apt comparison at all.

UK already had established history to draw upon, whether Cal was here for it isnt germane. Saying getting those draft picks was a bigger night than any of the 7 championships we had at that point was a completely assinine statement and I think you know that.

If he'd said in his tenure at UK your argument might hold water.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
Are you calling HotDice a troll? He's been here and a supporter of UK for quite a LONG time. If you don't want to agree with him fine...but a troll he is not.

Nod a troll? Then drunk and repetitive? The points he made are just oft repeated bull crap. A display of massive ignorance regard coach speak, the NBA and UK. I was giving him the benefit of the doubt. KY fans should have more sense. Not a matter of disagreement. He is incorrect factually.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT