ADVERTISEMENT

Will we be playing at texas in October?

If by some chance they end up scheduling the UK game during the same weekend as US Grand Prix, then I’m probably going to have to end up making the trip.

If that happens, how long do you think it would take to get from COTA to the stadium? The map says it’s about 30 minutes, but that doesn’t account for gameday and race traffic.

Wasn’t sure how bad traffic gets for those events.
COTA race held out by Austin Bergstrom International Airport (ABIA). I'd give a good hour to be on the safe side. Traffic on IH-35 would likely be a nightmare if both events happen the same weekend.

COTA race held out by Austin Bergstrom International Airport (ABIA). I'd give a good hour to be on the safe side. Traffic on IH-35 would likely be a nightmare if both events happen the same weekend.
Yeah, from a quick scan of old schedules, it looked like there was a home UT game during a race weekend back in 2017, but nothing after that (unless I missed it).

So maybe they learned their lesson and it’s unlikely to have a home game during a race weekend in the future.

But in the off chance it happens, thanks for the info. I think that would end up being an awesome trip, even with the traffic headaches. Hard to beat a weekend full of good BBQ, football and race cars.

ATXC what is the gas station around there that has the awesome bbq and you sit out back at the picnic tables to eat ?
Yeah, there are a few.

Rudy's comes closest to mind. Couple locations around Austin. We usually grab at least once monthly.

Buc-ee's, but many locations near interstates. Really good BBQ.

Yeah, there are a few.

Rudy's comes closest to mind. Couple locations around Austin. We usually grab at least once monthly.

Buc-ee's, but many locations near interstates. Really good BBQ.
This one is a tiny place it’s painted white and they have a drive thru goes around back where the picnic tables are so everybody watches you eat while they wait. They also sell single beers from the old time coolers with the slide open and close tops. Place is damn good 🏆

Reactions: AustinTXCat
Yeah, from a quick scan of old schedules, it looked like there was a home UT game during a race weekend back in 2017, but nothing after that (unless I missed it).

So maybe they learned their lesson and it’s unlikely to have a home game during a race weekend in the future.

But in the off chance it happens, thanks for the info. I think that would end up being an awesome trip, even with the traffic headaches. Hard to beat a weekend full of good BBQ, football and race cars.
Downtown traffic always a disaster. Two major US cities -- Austin (IH-35) and Orlando (I-4) -- have only one Interstate. Heh, I've lived in both places. Anyways, Austin upper- and lower- decks become quite challenging during game days. Shortcut routes are possible, but frustration levels climb. Traffic infrastructure around here leaves much to be desired.

Reactions: Girthang
If by some chance they end up scheduling the UK game during the same weekend as US Grand Prix,
I can't imagine they let that happen. Has it? Better if they are a week apart & stay for both, right?

TX campus right in middle of city a few blocks from Capitol. East side of stadium dang near against I-35.

VH,

You have a VERY different recollection of that game. My brother and I attended, also. During the day, we rented bikes and rode all over campus (A&M fans are very nice, btw). Sweated our asses off. IIRC, the high that day was right at 95 degrees and the humidity was high. The temperature at game time wasn't too bad, but the humidity was even higher (having lived in Houston for 6 years, that wasn't a surprise).
Well, the day & the evening game conditions can be a lot different. We went around campus during day & don't recall heat be terrible, but then not riding a bike. You're right, we recall the evening different as heat/humidity wasn't bad to me. You need to toughen up. 🤪

Just talking to my wife about it. If we're still walking upright and have no unforeseen emergencies, we want to make it. Get there on Wednesday, leave on Monday. We'll probably fly out of Palm Beach or Miami, but I've also thought about making a road trip out of it with a couple of stops in Louisiana to eat at a couple of spots a friend told me about. I'll have to keep this trip a secret from my cardiologist and primary care physician.
ATX knows way more than me, but if your going to be there a while, going out to Fredericksburg and down to San Antonio a couple of days are worthwhile imo. Beside Alamo, the Spanish missions to the south of town are interesting history for me & the Riverwalk is worth an evening but the temperature there must be 10-15 degrees higher than the city due to all the concrete. F-burg was home to WW2 hero Admiral Nimitz. They have an excellent museum of the war in the Pacific. Worth 2-3 hours. Also touristy shops. Johnson Ranch & Luckenbach out that way too. Ranch was interesting to me. Luckenbach not so much.

Reactions: JDHoss
ATX knows way more than me, but if your going to be there a while, going out to Fredericksburg and down to San Antonio a couple of days are worthwhile imo. Beside Alamo, the Spanish missions to the south of town are interesting history for me & the Riverwalk is worth an evening but the temperature there must be 10-15 degrees higher than the city due to all the concrete. F-burg was home to WW2 hero Admiral Nimitz. They have an excellent museum of the war in the Pacific. Worth 2-3 hours. Also touristy shops. Johnson Ranch & Luckenbach out that way too. Ranch was interesting to me. Luckenbach not so much.
My dad was a Marine who survived Iwo Jima. I'd love to see that museum. Thanks for the tip.

My dad was a Marine who survived Iwo Jima. I'd love to see that museum. Thanks for the tip.
Great for him. It has large scale model of my Dad's battleship: USS PA, BB 38. Arizona was modeled on her.

Might try flying in/out of SA too for a lower fare. Drive is less time than Lex-Lou.

Reactions: JDHoss
This one is a tiny place it’s painted white and they have a drive thru goes around back where the picnic tables are so everybody watches you eat while they wait. They also sell single beers from the old time coolers with the slide open and close tops. Place is damn good 🏆
Couple other places:

The Gas Station out in Bastrop. Never visited, but heard good feedback.

QuikTrip Gas Stations. They offer a $5 BBQ brisket sammich. Decent.

BBQ around Austin is plentiful. Many options.

Well, the day & the evening game conditions can be a lot different. We went around campus during day & don't recall heat be terrible, but then not riding a bike. You're right, we recall the evening different as heat/humidity wasn't bad to me. You need to toughen up. 🤪
You do recall that T-Wilson stunk up the place, right? We watched the same game, didn't we? :)

If you're looking for a light lunch before a game, Salt Lick is a good option.
30442584_582676415425276_1183852231280033792_n-660x400.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT