ADVERTISEMENT

Will Shaedon Sharpe take this team to the next level?

Unless he is able to back up Oscar, and maybe even play some 4, I aint seeing it in terms of changing us much.

if those are the only two options, I’m really not sure there would be a point to a message board.

Can we think that sharpe is great but that adding a guy two months before the postseason at a position where he’d take minutes from some of our best players and not address our most immediate needs means that he’s unlikely to be what leads us to a championship?
Turns out that the wing position is where we could have used a guy last season the most, especially when Grady and Ty Ty were battling injuries all season.

Reactions: Smashcat
Already setting up the expectations unattainable so when he doesn’t reach them everyone can talk shit about him. Seen this before lol

Agree with you it's always the next guy or next year. When it doesn't workout fans will be blaming everyone
The expectations were there because Sharpe is legitimate. The NBA scouts agree.
1. Oscar is not a dominant big man, a dominant big man could score every time from 6 inches away and he can’t. Has zero offense.
2. Wheeler will get posted and driven against high quality other guards
3. Agree with the rest.
Oscar won NPOY. Is that dominant?

The expectations were there because Sharpe is legitimate. The NBA scouts agree.

Oscar won NPOY. Is that dominant?
Not really, he’s unbelievable rebounding the ball but he has no offensive moves and plays below the rim. He gets rebounds because he’s strong and positions himself well, but he’s far from dominant. Would you consider Dennis Rodman dominant? I wouldn’t.

Not really, he’s unbelievable rebounding the ball but he has no offensive moves and plays below the rim. He gets rebounds because he’s strong and positions himself well, but he’s far from dominant. Would you consider Dennis Rodman dominant? I wouldn’t.
Dennis Rodman won National Player of the Year in college while averaging 17 and 15?

Reactions: STL_Cat
Dennis Rodman won National Player of the Year in college while averaging 17 and 15?
I see you didn't answer the question. The only thing Oscar is "dominant" in is rebounding the basketball. That's ONE aspect of basketball. I guess Wheeler is dominant too because he posts crazy assists stats, yep he's dominant for sure. Oscar has ZERO offensive moves and can't shoot and plays below the rim, the dude is NOT dominant. With that said, I love him and he's a great human being and a great college basketball player but come on, he ain't dominant.

“He’s got the wingspan, the athleticism, he continues to improve his shot …”

good lord I have PTSD from this sentence over, and over, and over.

Reactions: JoeSwag
“If his stock is that high, why even risk playing him?”

this interview man, I can’t with these people.

he also speculated Sharpe didn’t play because Calipari had already made starting spot promises to other players on the team

Good god what a terrible interview. Makes all parties involved look incredibly bad.

Probably not, but we should work hard to make that an established truth anyway so we can be angry when he either doesn’t play this year or plays and doesn’t lead us to a title.
I'll take hot takes for $200 Alex

Why Sharpe might be better than the Big Three

No player currently projected in the draft's top three is as smooth with the ball in his hands as Sharpe. In a league that covets perimeter shot-creators more than ever, the 18-year-old Sharpe offers an element that Holmgren and Smith don't -- the ability to make pull-up 3s with range, create space out of isolations, and get all the way to the rim for explosive finishes. Smith does two out of the three but hasn't quite shown the ability to break down his man for consistent paint touches and rim attacks. We're still learning more about Holmgren as a primary creator. Banchero is a tremendous ball handler and creator at 6-10, 255 pounds, but Sharpe -- while playing a much different position -- is an even better shooter from beyond the arc with the ability to get his shot out of a variety of different moves.

Although not quite as powerful at 198 pounds, Sharpe has the skill set to eventually function like Anthony Edwards does for Minnesota as a three-level, pick-and-roll scorer who can also make enough reads to moonlight as the primary ball handler for stretches. Sharpe's passing potential is one of the things that stood out to me most during a Kentucky practice this season. With that said, there are real questions about whether or not Sharpe has the motor and aggression to consistently hunt the type of shots that Edwards -- never short on confidence -- does, as Sharpe is often compared to Andrew Wiggins in terms of his consistency and approach. But in terms of the potential as a pick-and-roll scorer with passing upside, Sharpe is in a class of his own.

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT