ADVERTISEMENT

Will Shaedon Sharpe take this team to the next level?

If Brooks keeps scoring 15 per game, no way Toppin takes his minutes.
Yeah, there a lot of things about Toppin's potential that I like at the PF spot, but I haven't seen anything making me think he's ready to provide consistent double digit scoring yet. But, then again, if he gets healthy and starts playing big minutes, maybe that starts showing up.

Yeah, there a lot of things about Toppin's potential that I like at the PF spot, but I haven't seen anything making me think he's ready to provide consistent double digit scoring yet. But, then again, if he gets healthy and starts playing big minutes, maybe that starts showing up.
We need his defense bad.

Reactions: UK-chulo and G-PIP
I am not saying I do or don't want Brooks playing most of our minutes at the 4. I like Toppin. But I think when you look at his 4.8 reb/gm, you have to consider that Oscar is getting 15, leaving fewer available for Brooks or anyone else to get. Two games ago I remember Brooks and Oscar both coming down with the ball, and Oscar then yanking it out of Brooks hands. But I am not in favor of 4 guards because you still have to defend the other team's 4. I think Banchero may have gone off for 40 with Grady or Sharpe guarding him.

How many would Sharpe hang on Banchero trying to chase him around the perimeter?

It might not work, but we already saw it not work doing it your way.

How many would Sharpe hang on Banchero trying to chase him around the perimeter?

It might not work, but we already saw it not work doing it your way.
Precisely this.

Baylor won with a small lineup. So did Nova.

If Sharpe gave up a few post ups to Banchero, so be it. Banchero's going to pick up quick fouls guarding Sharpe out on the perimeter. Both teams would have matchup situations to account for.

Reactions: Aike
He's only shot 10 threes in 5 games and made 2, but is shooting way over 50% from 2 point line.
The game after I posted that he took zero threes. Great news. As long as he keeps hitting those long twos shoot them.

1. Oscar is not a dominant big man, a dominant big man could score every time from 6 inches away and he can’t. Has zero offense.
2. Wheeler will get posted and driven against high quality other guards
3. Agree with the rest.
Oscar is a dominant big man his rebounding alone make's him dominant. His double-double's show he has offensive game

When we get Toppin back, the 4 spot should be in pretty good shape. Brooks is improving offensively and Toppin gives us a better defender to put in for Brooks when he isn’t getting it done defensively. They should provide a good 1-2 punch at the 4.

Reactions: cornbreadnmilk
Precisely this.

Baylor won with a small lineup. So did Nova.

If Sharpe gave up a few post ups to Banchero, so be it. Banchero's going to pick up quick fouls guarding Sharpe out on the perimeter. Both teams would have matchup situations to account for.
No way we play Duke again this year. The committee will make sure that doesn't happen. They need to protect Coach Kruggerand.

Antigua's comments today on Sharpe in response to a question about realistic expectations for him were along the lines of him deferring to Cal and he said that's a question Cal can answer. Also said it's "anybody's guess" what else he'll do beyond getting acclimated with the team, strength and conditioning, etc.

I'll never understand how ANY big man can be in college and not have a half hook shot or a drop step move in their arsenal. Just baffles me.
I think it may be because in the modern game it’s not valued like it once was. Everyone wants to be a guard. The NBA wants five guys that can handle and shoot. So big men spend time developing their ball handling and face up shooting in hopes to some day being the next LeBron or KD, rather than working on post moves so they can be the next Kareem or Shaq.

Reactions: jace2012
Presently, it appears as if we have everything needed to make a tournament run. A dominate big man (Oscar); a veteran point guard who can generate offense (Wheeler); multiple legitimate perimeter threats capable of making threes (Grady, Mintz, Allen); and a do-it-all guard who can create offense in the halfcourt (Ty Ty). Our four men are also progressing and learning their roles (Brooks and Toppin). The depth is also elite with guys like Hopkins and Collins still learning their roles on the fly.

What we seem to lack is a elite wing scorer. Grady is a catch-and-shoot scorer but doesn't have much of a slashing game. Brooks is extremely limited in terms of taking his man off the dribble. Ty Ty is going to be special in the halfcourt by March, but he's a guard. What it seems we lack is a wing player who can consistently take his man off the dribble.

That's what Sharpe will bring to the table.

Do you think Sharpe gives us the missing ingredient to go from a very good team to a real title contender? Presently, I don't think we have enough firepower to win it all, but Sharpe could give us that last known quantity needed to win it all in April.

Thoughts?
Sharpe is not playing this season so why are we talking about this? Did I miss something? Is he playing after all?

This is going to be the question ! Over the years i have not seen to many HS players that can be that good as soon as they step foot on the collage floor. There may have been some but very few. It's going to take time to get used to the speed and conditioning of the game.
AD was a huge impact player from Day 1. He beat UNC with that block on Henderson, but he was fabulous aside from that one play. His offence was a bit raw at first aside from his dunks off lobs, but as the season wore on, he stepped out to the ft line and began hitting those 15 footers. So if Sharpe is an elite player, a transcendant one, I believe he could take us to a new level. The question will be whether practicing with the other players will translate to a real game late in the season and into the NCAAT.

Last edited:
Sharpe is not playing this season so why are we talking about this? Did I miss something? Is he playing after all?
Yes, you did miss something.

Cal said, "Well see" in regards to Sharpe playing this year. He's joining the team in January. With no Fredrick playing this year, there stands a chance "well see" becomes "he's playing" my March.

Yes, you did miss something.

Cal said, "Well see" in regards to Sharpe playing this year. He's joining the team in January. With no Fredrick playing this year, there stands a chance "well see" becomes "he's playing" my March.
I mean just look at what happened Monday night, Mintz gets sick and all the sudden Allen is the only sub at SG or SF, do we seriously not think Cal is gonna put him in if something like that happens again. Literally all it takes is one injury or even heavy foul trouble ala the UNC game in the tourny the Monk year. It’s not like we are gonna burn the kids redshirt lofl!

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
I’m thinking this team may need something a little bit more then sharpe.
They might need sharpe, Trae Young, and possibly Steph Curry. That would make me feel better. But then again those guys in this current offense would probably still lose

According to Goodman, he’s the best player on the team the second he arrives. Why in the world would he not play?

I think I said it in a different Sharpe thread, but the only way I think Sharpe plays is if we are losing games and our backcourt needs a boost. Well, it kind of looks like he might play, IMHO.

Presently, it appears as if we have everything needed to make a tournament run. A dominate big man (Oscar); a veteran point guard who can generate offense (Wheeler); multiple legitimate perimeter threats capable of making threes (Grady, Mintz, Allen); and a do-it-all guard who can create offense in the halfcourt (Ty Ty). Our four men are also progressing and learning their roles (Brooks and Toppin). The depth is also elite with guys like Hopkins and Collins still learning their roles on the fly.

What we seem to lack is a elite wing scorer. Grady is a catch-and-shoot scorer but doesn't have much of a slashing game. Brooks is extremely limited in terms of taking his man off the dribble. Ty Ty is going to be special in the halfcourt by March, but he's a guard. What it seems we lack is a wing player who can consistently take his man off the dribble.

Do you think Sharpe gives us the missing ingredient to go from a very good team to a real title contender? Presently, I don't think we have enough firepower to win it all, but Sharpe could give us that last known quantity needed to win it all in April.

Thoughts?
Don't think so. Cal will stick with Brooks.

No way we play Duke again this year. The committee will make sure that doesn't happen. They need to protect Coach Kruggerand.
It floors me that people are just assuming we make the tournament this year. We have lost to the only power 5 teams we have played and their is a good chance we go play UL( who is much better than Notre Dame) 0-3 against power 5 schools. We could be going into the toughest SEC conference schedule in recent memory 0-4 or 1-3 against power 5 opponents.Us making the tournament is not a given our only victories are agianst garbage, we better start winning and soon or we sit home again, based on what I have seen so far it is a real possibility.

Thoughts?
If he pushes elevator buttons before he leaves, then yes, he'll take us to another level.

Thoughts?

ADVERTISEMENT