ADVERTISEMENT

Will Shaedon Sharpe take this team to the next level?

Son_Of_Saul

All-American
Dec 7, 2007
Presently, it appears as if we have everything needed to make a tournament run. A dominate big man (Oscar); a veteran point guard who can generate offense (Wheeler); multiple legitimate perimeter threats capable of making threes (Grady, Mintz, Allen); and a do-it-all guard who can create offense in the halfcourt (Ty Ty). Our four men are also progressing and learning their roles (Brooks and Toppin). The depth is also elite with guys like Hopkins and Collins still learning their roles on the fly.

What we seem to lack is a elite wing scorer. Grady is a catch-and-shoot scorer but doesn't have much of a slashing game. Brooks is extremely limited in terms of taking his man off the dribble. Ty Ty is going to be special in the halfcourt by March, but he's a guard. What it seems we lack is a wing player who can consistently take his man off the dribble.

That's what Sharpe will bring to the table.

Do you think Sharpe gives us the missing ingredient to go from a very good team to a real title contender? Presently, I don't think we have enough firepower to win it all, but Sharpe could give us that last known quantity needed to win it all in April.

Thoughts?

Yes, I believe he takes us from a S16 team to being title contenders and maybe even favorites. That is if he is as good as advertised and we stay injury free.
As good as Oscar is on the glass, if Sharpe is legit, I'd like to see a four guard lineup at times with Wheeler, Washington, Grady, Sharpe, and Oscar. Oscar's elite rebounding gives us the advantage of being able to use four guards at one time. Plus, I'm not sure Keion's 4.8 rebounds/game really merit him being a fixture at the 4 spot. Yes, we'd occasionally struggle against teams with legit four-men, but I also think Oscar's elite rebounding negates some of that.

Meanwhile, can you imagine opposing teams trying to keep up with those four guards? Sharpe's elite slashing ability would provide us with a matchup advantage over most teams.

Last edited:
I’ll bet the players vote to not let him play?
Fredrick's injury changed a lot in terms of which mouths the coaching staff probably felt they needed to feed.

I doubt they even have a vote this time. Bringing him in this winter was the rock that got the avalanche rolling. It's already been removed and the situation is rapidly evolving to Sharpe playing this spring.

Team might be a little weak on the inside to be labeled favorites.
Probably true, but I'm thinking UK could play a lot like Baylor did last year with an elite guard attack. Wheeler, Grady, and Ty Ty have already proven they're legit. If Sharpe is as good as advertised, we'd have the best guard rotation in the country.

Yes, I believe he takes us from a S16 team to being title contenders and maybe even favorites. That is if he is as good as advertised and we stay injury free.

This is going to be the question ! Over the years i have not seen to many HS players that can be that good as soon as they step foot on the collage floor. There may have been some but very few. It's going to take time to get used to the speed and conditioning of the game.

As good as Oscar is on the glass, if Sharpe is legit, I'd like to see a four guard lineup at times with Wheeler, Washington, Grady, Sharpe, and Oscar. Oscar's elite rebounding gives us the advantage of being able to use four guards at one time. Plus, I'm not sure Keion's 4.8 rebounds/game really merit him being a fixture at the 4 spot. Yes, we'd occasionally struggle against teams with legit four-men, but I also think Oscar's elite rebounding negates some of that.

Meanwhile, can you imagine opposing teams trying to keep up with those four guards. Sharpe's elite slashing ability would provide us with a matchup advantage over most teams.

Me personally, I like a more traditional lineup. I like Toppin at the 4. I’d have a lineup of Wheeler, TyTy, Sharpe, Toppin and Oscar. But you’re right, it definitely would be a nightmare for teams to try to guard that 4 guard lineup you mentioned!!

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
If he’s as good as people think, and I don’t know that he is, and the team accepts him - it might be what we need to be contenders. I still think we’d need a good path, and I’m not sold on Calipari’s coaching, it might create our path. Who knows.

I really think we need another big to win it, but everyone seems to think guard guard so. I don’t know.

Meanwhile, can you imagine opposing teams trying to keep up with those four guards? Sharpe's elite slashing ability would provide us with a matchup advantage over most teams.
Keion’s 15-17 foot jumper’s merit major PT though.

We get beat by Ohio last night without Keion.

Cal can talk all he wants about Hopkins keeping UK afloat in the 1st half while Oscar was riding the pine with 2 quickies but Brooks and his mid range Js 1st and 2nd half were the difference makers.

If Brooks can consistently knock down the Js, Sharpe will not play this season.

This is going to be the question ! Over the years i have not seen to many HS players that can be that good as soon as they step foot on the collage floor. There may have been some but very few. It's going to take time to get used to the speed and conditioning of the game.

I also believe it will take time. More than likely won’t see him suit up this season but the what if’s are fun.

I would usually say no to thinking that an 18 year old kid coming to the fold in January could help by March
but,
We have a 19 year old guard In Tyty that may not even be as good as Sharpe playing 32 minutes a game and doing well.

So I have to believe it's possible to some extent.

Presently, it appears as if we have everything needed to make a tournament run. A dominate big man (Oscar); a veteran point guard who can generate offense (Wheeler); multiple legitimate perimeter threats capable of making threes (Grady, Mintz, Allen); and a do-it-all guard who can create offense in the halfcourt (Ty Ty). Our four men are also progressing and learning their roles (Brooks and Toppin). The depth is also elite with guys like Hopkins and Collins still learning their roles on the fly.

What we seem to lack is a elite wing scorer. Grady is a catch-and-shoot scorer but doesn't have much of a slashing game. Brooks is extremely limited in terms of taking his man off the dribble. Ty Ty is going to be special in the halfcourt by March, but he's a guard. What it seems we lack is a wing player who can consistently take his man off the dribble.

That's what Sharpe will bring to the table.

Do you think Sharpe gives us the missing ingredient to go from a very good team to a real title contender? Presently, I don't think we have enough firepower to win it all, but Sharpe could give us that last known quantity needed to win it all in April.

Thoughts?
Well we looked our best with a 3 guard lineup. Mintz and tyty hit the boards hard and mintz seemed to be that slashing type wing. It all depends if sharpe comes in and is apparently the best player in practice I think that’s what cal will use to determine whether to play sharpe. Can you even keep him off the floor?

I’m not concerned about scoring from the wing. We can play 3 guards and I think as Grady gets more accustomed to our offense you will see a more dynamic player. Honestly our biggest deficit is obvious and it’s the lack of any real post player outside of oscar. The limited front court depth will get us sharpe or not. He can’t fix that.

Probably not, but we should work hard to make that an established truth anyway so we can be angry when he either doesn’t play this year or plays and doesn’t lead us to a title.

Probably not, but we should work hard to make that an established truth anyway so we can be angry when he either doesn’t play this year or plays and doesn’t lead us to a title.

I think you're right. Existing in that netherworld where there are no real title expectations is probably the proper way to go.

After all, what good would a message board be if people actually were excited about the possibilities of their team? You're right to be sardonic and lash out before that pesky avalanche of real expectations and excitement develops. After all, we've never really had either of those in Kentucky history. I'm not sure we could handle it.

Last edited:
Reactions: CrazyCat74
I’m not expecting him to play. I think he could help us, though. If he is as special as they say, he might take us to the next level. But that’s a lot to expect for a guy who hasn’t even stepped foot on campus yet.

I think you're right. Existing in that netherworld where there are no real title expectations is probably the proper way to go.

After all, what good would a message board be if people actually were excited about the possibilities of their team? You're right to be sardonic and lash out before that pesky avalanche of real expectations and excitement develops. After all, we've never really had either of those in Kentucky history. I'm not sure we could handle it.

if those are the only two options, I’m really not sure there would be a point to a message board.

Can we think that sharpe is great but that adding a guy two months before the postseason at a position where he’d take minutes from some of our best players and not address our most immediate needs means that he’s unlikely to be what leads us to a championship?

Reactions: gharding07
I don't think anyone is going to keep Sharpe off the floor, if he is in Game shape. If he comes in playing like a number 1 pick, then he plays. Cal will play him, end of discussion. I think I would have him back up Grady at first, and have Wheeler TyTy and Sharpe, then Keon/Toppin, Oscar/Ware/Collins.

That would be a nightmare matchup for any team not named Gonzaga.

You do not need a lot of big men to win a title.

However, you need to play a style that embraces the lack of interior depth.

More small lineups
More up tempo
More outside shot attempts
Good free throw shooting and less turnovers

Trying to play typical "Cal ball" with only 1 legit big man will make this team inconsistent and frustrating all year.

I like what I have seen thus far though.

if those are the only two options, I’m really not sure there would be a point to a message board.

Can we think that sharpe is great but that adding a guy two months before the postseason at a position where he’d take minutes from some of our best players and not address our most immediate needs means that he’s unlikely to be what leads us to a championship?
Cal made a huge mistake not getting us another inside player IMO but it's too late for that now.

Reactions: gharding07
I still think the prototype is that 2015 Duke team that blitzed its way to the Title with 6’5” Justice Winslow at the 4.

I don’t think Sharpe gets all the minutes at the 4, but it’s a look that can be unstoppable if fully embraced.

the problem with that is that Winslow had probably 25 pounds on Sharpe and legitimate PG skills. He’s a rare piece.

plus, Oscar isn’t the player and doesn’t command the attention that Okafor did to free up the perimeter.

I think you’re right that that’s our best way to play, but I don’t think we’d replicate the effectiveness.

I’d like to see us play Hopkins more in the hopes that he can give us that regardless of Sharpe. If Sharpe plays, bring Grady off the bench and run sets for him.

Reactions: Aike
In my mind we’d be practically invincible if

A) Sharpe plays and meets expectations on the wing

B) Hopkins hits his highest potential as a 4 man. Someone versatile with range, mobility, can put it on the floor….. and if you run into him you’re probably gonna fall down.

Add those two things and raise our perimeter shooting and O/D efficiency all in ways that I think will happen naturally over the course of the season anyway, and I think it will take a very special team having a very special night to bump us by March.

Last edited:
Adding another guy that’s capable of giving ya 20 a night... yes it’d take em to another level.

Reactions: Mike-D
the problem with that is that Winslow had probably 25 pounds on Sharpe and legitimate PG skills. He’s a rare piece.

plus, Oscar isn’t the player and doesn’t command the attention that Okafor did to free up the perimeter.

I think you’re right that that’s our best way to play, but I don’t think we’d replicate the effectiveness.

I’d like to see us play Hopkins more in the hopes that he can give us that regardless of Sharpe. If Sharpe plays, bring Grady off the bench and run sets for him.
I don’t know what Sharpe weighs...I’ve seen him listed as much as 215. And I would posit that he’s a rare piece as well.

Like I said, I’m good with Sharpe playing the traditional 2/3 spot, but I think playing him at the 4 can work and work well. I’d like to see it, at the very least.

Reactions: GonzoCat90
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT