ADVERTISEMENT

Will Mark Soops ever win a NC at UK?

Can Ole Miss win a national championship in basketball? I would not bet on it.

I think Stoops will put a good defense on the field every year but the offense will put the brakes on any championship hopes. Even if Stoops took over at Florida State or Ohio State he would have to change his offense philosophy. Our offense will not win NCAA championships.

Coach Stoops needs to have a revelation the offense needs to go up 5 or 6 steps. But I am still celebrating our Citrus Bowl and 10 win season so all is well this morning. But as in life, you can always dream bigger and improve. Step by step

His offense will never allow it.

If he had Bama's qb, receivers and offensive line he, as any other coach, would throw the ball. But, sad to say, we don't but we had coaches who were smart enough not to listen to fans who thought we did.

Last edited:
Reactions: fabcat
Odds are long against it. College football is not really conducive to newcomers easily becoming title contenders. The top 25 recruiting is often the same teams, and most of them are bluebloods. It isn’t too often that a new team jumps into the top 25 and becomes national title competitive. Washington and Oregon are two that come to mind that have kind of made this leap from outside to the inside, but Oregon has faded and Washington hasn’t proven to be a whole lot more than a pretender. Both are probably benefiting from the Pac 12. UK’s road to a title will be a tough one. If Stoops can maintain these types of defenses that we had this year then it is possible, but it would be one hell of a longshot given that it is so rare for a non-blueblood to win a title in college football.

Reactions: Samurai Cat
No. I mean we had statistically the best defensive UK has ever had, the best LB/sacker UK has ever had and the best Running back in school history, and that only got us 10 wins. I mean, no one is really winning the title besides Alabama. No one has a chance until Saban is gone.

Reactions: Samurai Cat
Get 3 or 4 eight to ten win seasons in a row, and I believe some 5* recruits will start considering playing for Stoops, and I believe a streak like that could happen if we could just land a top passing QB. At the moment high school players don't think of us as a really good program because our bad years are still in their recent memory. But if we are a winning program for all their formative years then when they think UK, they think, "Winning program". For a kid, what happened 15 years ago is not in their psyche.

Need top passing QB to have chance at big time receivers. We have one big time receiver who was in fact a four star athlete in HS but we have a QB who will never consistently throw for 300 yards in a game so receivers look to a program that does or at least promises to do so.

If he had Bama's qb, receivers and offensive line he, as any other coach, would throw the ball. But, sad to say, we don't but we had coaches who were smart enough not to listen to fans who thought we did.
Offense may be even worse next year with no Benny and no plans to recruit or develop a quality QB. If he does have plans to do this, he's sucking at it pain and simple. This area has to be improved or, no NC.

Don't worry, before this year I'm sure he was saying Stoops had plateaued here. Some people don't understand that defense first with conservative offense is the strategy to build a contender.

I’ve always been a defensive first guy. I mean hell look at this season. Without this juggernaut defense we probably don’t win 7 games. Having said that, to be the best offense is more of a must today than ever. With a serviceable quarterback we would have beaten Tennessee and had a NY6. The reason is because of how many offensive minded head coaches there are in the game today. This isn’t even 1991 when the vast majority of coaches thought defense first. The class of Urban Meyer changed college football.

So scoring is going to happen and sometimes you have got to be able to score no matter how stacked your D is. Unless of course the D is so stacked no one can score, but as we saw this year, our great D (top 5 defense) wasn’t enough to crack a NY6 because of holes on the offensive end.

We have top notch facilities, a fanbase who has suffered more heartache than any others that is starving for football success and we are in the sec. Money will never be an issue as im sure if he has continuous success he can be paid top dollar. Win the sec and u are in line to play for the championship. We have the foundation to have a winning program, it just depends on him.
Now as long as darth vader is coaching bama and getting nothing but 4 and 5 every year its improbable but not impossible. Whats the chances years from now that it comes out that saban had a little help....as in sam gilbert and ucla help

It was just a few years ago that we were on the same level as Clemson and played them in the Music City Bowl. If my memory is correct, it was Dabo's first year as the head coach when we played Clemson in the Music City Bowl. Since that time, Clemson has made big investments in its football program and facilities. Now they are regular continders for the national championship. No reason that Kentucky can't do the same. We need to continue investing in improved facilities, and Stoops needs to improve recruiting, but it is not impossible.

Reactions: UKWinsAgainYep
Alabama
Clemson
Ohio State
Florida State
Auburn
Florida
LSU
Texas
USC
Oklahoma

That’s every team that has won a national title since 1999. So no, I don’t see that happening.

Well, not EVERY team ..... Miami won the national title in 2001.

Reactions: KingOfBBN
It’s pretty hard to see a “top program” having interest in Stoops. You could imagine a scenario where FSU or Miami would due to his ties to those programs, but both of them just hired coaches and neither gave CMS a look. For good or for bad, his UK contract makes him an extremely expensive hire for another school.

If he were leave of his own volition, Iowa seems like the most logical move. But weird things happen ... Dana Holgorson just took a truck of cash to go coach in the American.
Well... That is totally wrong... If you think NO program would have interest in him.. what if he wins 10 games again next year ..(doubtful I know) ... they WILL BE CALLING... FLORIDA St. and Michigan...

It's very possible because I could see us winning the SEC East eventually. If you win the SEC East you are one of the best teams in the country and have a shot at a NC.

Defense wins championships so if Stoops keeps UK as a Defensive powerhouse while incrementally improving our offense, we can do a lot of things.

Offense may be even worse next year with no Benny and no plans to recruit or develop a quality QB. If he does have plans to do this, he's sucking at it pain and simple. This area has to be improved or, no NC.

NC? No NC? Someone was planning on one?

The best part of this thread is that no one I can see is laughing at the question.

Clemson was a good, not great program until Danny Ford caught lightning in a bottle in '81. FSU was never in any way a contender until Bobby Bowden came along, even then it took him about 16 or so seasons to win one.
We currently pay our mens' hoops coach $8 million to head up the winningest program in NCAA history, and he has a total of 1 NC in now his 10th season in Lexington. So, in addition to coaching, talent etc. it takes a little luck and a few breaks to win a title !

At some point in time the Sabin era in Bama will end and there will be years when the national championship is more competitive with several teams in the race, so yes hypothetically Stoops could take us to that level. Right now the odds against any team other than Bama and perhaps Clemson for the foreseeable future are very small but things will change over time.

The phases of college football are bizarre.

We had Miami in the 80s, Nebraska in the 90s, FSU/Florida/Miami winning titles and contending, then went to the USC phase, and then Florida-LSU-Alabama-Auburn (and now just Bama) winning.

I love college football but there’s not really any parity especially when humans get to pick the four teams that compete for the title. It’s much easier to win in football as opposed to basketball.

No coach is winning a national championship in football at Kentucky.

Only three have won 10 or more in a season, Bear, Curci and Stoops. Bear got hired away, Curci got caught cheating, and Stoops is 51 years old and in his prime and on an upswing.

A national title is unlikely, but it’s likelihood increased significantly with a Top 10/12 finish this year.

Never say never!!!!!

Reactions: Black Diamond Cat
Would love to see it, but this is the type season and program I've always dreamed of...I could always be happy with this type of season

Until we start beating Florida and Tennessee regularly, there is not a chance. If we start doing that, anything is possible.

This! We have steadily improved our record against all of the east but Tennessee, Florida, and Georgia. If we start to roll up South Carolina type wins over TN and FL it will open up the opportunity for better recruiting. That's what can help us gain on Georgia, and get to the SEC title game. A plan that could work.

Reactions: sambowieshin
Anything is possible. That said saban owns sec until he leaves and lil kirby is prime to take over when he does. Hard to win one if u never make the playoff and being in the sec makes that almost impossible due to bama, Florida, Georgia, etf

Hoops board
<<<<<<<<
?? I've been posting on here the whole year.

Answer is still no. Do yourself a favor. Go look at the last 20 national championships. Where do you see an outlier outside the normal top tier or traditional powers?

Let me guess...you'll be one of the first fans to throw an emotional fit next year if they "only" win 7/8 games.

Only three have won 10 or more in a season, Bear, Curci and Stoops. Bear got hired away, Curci got caught cheating, and Stoops is 51 years old and in his prime and on an upswing.

A national title is unlikely, but it’s likelihood increased significantly with a Top 10/12 finish this year.

Never say never!!!!!
There's a huge difference between the top 10 and national championship. This isn't basketball where one elite player can elevate a team to a whole different level. Most of our starters still wouldn't start for a team like Alabama or Clemson.

?? I've been posting on here the whole year.

Answer is still no. Do yourself a favor. Go look at the last 20 national championships. Where do you see an outlier outside the normal top tier or traditional powers?

Let me guess...you'll be one of the first fans to throw an emotional fit next year if they "only" win 7/8 games.

Clemson was a mid tier ACC program for many years, in fact Kentucky beat Clemson in the Music City Bowl just 12 years ago.
I can remember when Florida State and Miami were both worse than Florida International. Howard Schellenberger and Bobby Bowden took those programs from struggling lower tier types into championship caliber.

The odds of winning national championships in football are extremely long for most all teams but many of those elite programs that you see fighting for the top spot were once very average. So yes it is possible for Kentucky to one day take the top position, but it is impossible to predict such things but it is also impossible to totally rule it out.

I really believe we were a top 7-8 team this year. I think we coulda played with ND and Oklahoma for sure. We laid an egg at UT but I honestly believe we were better than Michigan, ND, Oklahoma and those teams that were in the hunt this year. Bama, Clemson, UGA were the three teams that were clearly better than us. OSU would beat us but it would be a game. Once we get to where we can recruit elite QBs who knows what will happen. I never thought we’d get to this point this fast so I’m not counting anything out.
Hahahahahahahaha

There's a huge difference between the top 10 and national championship.

And there’s a huge difference between top 10 and where we’ve been for the last 40 years.

The only true constant is the presence of change. Saban will retire 15 years prior to Stoops. Both Clemson and Bama will fade from the level of prominence they have recently held.

There are posts, above, claiming that teams do not “break through” from prior mediocrity. Tell that to Florida, who until the 80’s had not had much more success than us. Florida State and Miami!!!!

And have you seen how their successes in the 80’s thru the 00’s has been cemented into perpetuality? Noooo, most of the Top 10 recruits in Florida left the state in 2018.

Football goes in broad cycles, and with each cycle, a few teams bubble up to compete with the traditional elites.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT