ADVERTISEMENT

Questions that need to be asked

etowncatfan

All-SEC
Gold Member
Jan 4, 2003
How Messy will this Divorce get? How long will it be drawn out? A week,month,year, two years? When does it start hurting recruiting? How long do we want to be the lead story and the laughing stock in College Basketball? Who blinks first? Calipari or Mitch? Depending on how it unfolds and eventually it will, who comes to Lexington to be the next Head Coach? Has being the Head Coach at UK lost some of the luster with every school paying Big Money Today??

I’ve seen Rupp, Hall, Sutton, Pitino, Smith and Gillespie all leave. All for different reasons. This one feels different (mainly because of social media). I’m hoping not but, This one could get Very Ugly.

• Love
Reactions: mattrudd
That's what I said in another thread. Cals entire legacy will be hurt if he plays this poorly. Maybe $10mil makes it so he doesn't care? But he has an ego, he's not going to want his image dragged through the mud as a coach who isn't allowed back in the state of KY, who basically just robber the school and isn't even trying to be a good coach.

School has a billion in endowment.. if I'm the AD and the president and whoever else, I'm finding a way to move some funds around to get this done. I'm negotiating. I'm looking at Cal saying "you know you don't deserve this going forward, what if we meet in the middle?".

That's what I said in another thread. Cals entire legacy will be hurt if he plays this poorly. Maybe $10mil makes it so he doesn't care? But he has an ego, he's not going to want his image dragged through the mud as a coach who isn't allowed back in the state of KY, who basically just robber the school and isn't even trying to be a good coach.

School has a billion in endowment.. if I'm the AD and the president and whoever else, I'm finding a way to move some funds around to get this done. I'm negotiating. I'm looking at Cal saying "you know you don't deserve this going forward, what if we meet in the middle?".
Cal needs to have a come-to-Jesus meeting with that ego. He has had seven years to get angry and prove people wrong but that has not happened. He needs to retire or move on to a conference that he will succeed in. This job is no longer a viable option for him.

You have 6 signed kids for next season? Some of the current roster will be back by default. Look watching as a 3rd party have to wonder if oakland was scouted. Also guards were very static on offense in the half court. Your two best players were grad transfers...

Reactions: Jazzycat
It will be ugly. Cal won't leave without his full buyout. UKL won't want to give him $33 million for being bad.

Hopefully there is a lot of media pressure and the word thief used over and over when discussing buying him out.

If I'm a booster and asked to pay any part of this, my comment is "I only pay if the idiot who gave him this buyout goes too"

The endowment shoukd not be touched for athletics . That is not why people gave.

Reactions: ukcatz12
Do you think Cal will be our coach next year? I know you usually have good info. One of the few that I actually trust what they say on here
Was always thinking this would be it. Meaning the season.

Way things are now, I think he's going to be back because of the $ involved with paying him/buying out another coach in all likelihood. Think Ben Roberts sobered me from my hope that it would end. Just think it's best for everyone to move on, but with a ton of $ and retirement age--think Cal wants to retire after this job, not go elsewhere he's going to pull out all his stops to stay.

Also think Barnhart sucks and these 2 are tied together as much as they reportedly detest each other. Barnhart shouldn't have any say in who the next HC is at Kentucky. He's pissed away enough hires and cornered the program into this situation. If he does stay, I'll be laughing at whatever "Sell" they have to the fans to make anyone think it's going to be anything different. They've tried several things. Silence may be the best thing.

Portal has already opened this week so you have to do things with more urgency no matter what direction they go, but with Cal's NBA encouragement...that could do him in. He has 1 guy who can't enter the Draft process (Big Z) because he's already done so twice-which would mean if he enters he's gone for good. So he will be an in/out definitive player.

This is just an ugly end to what was a great run for 10 years. That's often what happens and what happens needs to be decided soon because there's a lot to be done no matter what we think of the decision. May not make any of us happy but this business never stops.

Way things are now, I think he's going to be back because of the $ involved with paying him/buying out another coach in all likelihood. Think Ben Roberts sobered me from my hope that it would end. Just think it's best for everyone to move on, but with a ton of $ and retirement age--think Cal wants to retire after this job, not go elsewhere he's going to pull out all his stops to stay.

Also think Barnhart sucks and these 2 are tied together as much as they reportedly detest each other. Barnhart shouldn't have any say in who the next HC is at Kentucky. He's pissed away enough hires and cornered the program into this situation. If he does stay, I'll be laughing at whatever "Sell" they have to the fans to make anyone think it's going to be anything different. They've tried several things. Silence may be the best thing.

Portal has already opened this week so you have to do things with more urgency no matter what direction they go, but with Cal's NBA encouragement...that could do him in. He has 1 guy who can't enter the Draft process (Big Z) because he's already done so twice-which would mean if he enters he's gone for good. So he will be an in/out definitive player.

This is just an ugly end to what was a great run for 10 years. That's often what happens and what happens needs to be decided soon because there's a lot to be done no matter what we think of the decision. May not make any of us happy but this business never stops.
Thanks man. I just don’t see anyway they can sell it to fans and get them on board for next season if he’s here. We’ve all been burned to many times

How Messy will this Divorce get? How long will it be drawn out? A week,month,year, two years? When does it start hurting recruiting? How long do we want to be the lead story and the laughing stock in College Basketball? Who blinks first? Calipari or Mitch? Depending on how it unfolds and eventually it will, who comes to Lexington to be the next Head Coach? Has being the Head Coach at UK lost some of the luster with every school paying Big Money Today??

I’ve seen Rupp, Hall, Sutton, Pitino, Smith and Gillespie all leave. All for different reasons. This one feels different (mainly because of social media). I’m hoping not but, This one could get Very Ugly.
As far as recruiting goes, money, money, money.

Seeing a lot of people today thinking the basketball team is the university’s number one priority. It’s not even close.
It’s the priority of the people of Kentucky. That’s what you don’t get. It’s much bigger than the inner workings of the university. This is why having a president who is crimson tide and and ad from Oregon has caused a loss of perspective. We need some Kentucky blood at the top. I mean if Kentucky can’t produce a university president then divide the state up. We need someone who understands the impact of UK bb on the state of Kentucky. It’s far greater than any buyout. You keep saying “uk uk uk”. You have people who will never sniff college who are die hard Kentucky fans. Get some perspective man. When you go to rupp 2/3 of the crowd did not go to UK and won’t. Kentucky basketball represents the entire state no just it alum or Lexington. This perspective is lost.

Reactions: NociHTTP

I wouldn’t read into ben Robert’s article too much. He doesn’t know anything. When the what 2007 season ended it didn’t seem like tubby would leave. Thes things take time to play out. There are efforts to raise the money I know as much. I have a life long friend who is prez of a big bank and he tends to know in advance what’s happening with athletics especially coaches. His line tonight was cal returns along with reed for one last season to turn it around. He doesn’t think Barney wants to admit his mistake. The fans without a doubt want him gone, it seems the major donors are sick of him but Barney and HIS ego can’t handle the blame. The thing is Barney could pull the trigger or have the entire issue taken off his plate. These guys like my friend are afraid to offend Barney. He will not say a bad thing about Barney and it seems to me like he’s afraid he may lose some preferential treatment. That’s me reading between the lines.

You have 6 signed kids for next season? Some of the current roster will be back by default. Look watching as a 3rd party have to wonder if oakland was scouted. Also guards were very static on offense in the half court. Your two best players were grad transfers...
Cal has said that they don't watch film, they don't scout.

If cal is back next year then I hope most of this years team (including Reed and Z) are not. I really don’t think I can watch another cal season, Reed is such a joy to watch play however and I love the potential that Big Z has. Don’t think Big Z will ever reach his true potential under cal though as cal does not know how to use his skill set. Big Z was mostly ineffective last part of the season due to cal reeling him in. I’ll be torn if they return on watching, easy decision if they don’t.

Reactions: ralphdaltonfan
It’s the priority of the people of Kentucky.
I get that 100%, but the Board of Trustees and Capilouto aren't publicly elected officials that carry out the will of the people. They are there to put the interests of the university first.

If Cal were to leave UK would have their pick of coaches.

The problem is only in who is doing the picking.

Speaking of which - Kentucky’s players looked less conditioned and not nearly as mature body wise as most of the teams playing in the tournament. Maybe it was their youth or maybe it was a lack of physical and or mental strength but, comparing the UK players with even an Oakland team, the Cats looked like high schoolers compared to the more aggressive, physical players from Oakland. Even the veterans like Reeves or Mitchell. Theiro played tough but, he was the only one I saw getting aggressive. That needs to addressed as well and I hope that Adou will come back.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT