ADVERTISEMENT

Why ppl keep saying

Right now Burk and Mitchell are our only bigs. Who knows when ugo and Bradshaw will be available. It seems important to add a big asap for practice purpose.

what we need to do is find a bag of cash. Get a big who can defend, block shots and rebound. There has to be a guy out there who seen the Canada trip and would be interested
Burks is no big. “If” he were to have to play spot minutes at the 5 the way he did in Toronto in SEC play….he would be manhandled and completely embarrassed. I don’t want that to happen to the young man because he seems like he can potentially be a really good 3/4 in a year or 2.

I agree. I’m not losing sleep over a perceived lack of bigs.

We’ve got a plethora of guys who can hit shots, attack the basket, and make plays with the ball in their hands.

Wagner
Reed
Reeves
Dillingham
Edwards
Adou

Fast athletic play-makers. Have fun trying to stop it.

Thats great and I'm all for it but you still have to have a big who can go down low and get nasty. That Africa team was the least skilled team we faced by far, but they were big dudes who bully balled us and low and behold, played us closer than anyone.

Here’s something else to think about:

During the offseason, when we were down to 7 scholarship players, Cal went hard after three portal guys, Dickinson who plays the 5, Kaluma who plays the 4 and Johnson who plays the 4.

So Cal obviously wanted to upgrade at the 4 and 5 spots.

I am pretty sure Johnson and Kaluma were recruited for the same spot. They weren’t both coming to UK.

Dickinson was the only guy Cal really went after at the 5.

We struck out with all three.

Then Mitchell came along and filled the 4 spot.

So why hasn’t Cal went after a 5 man after missing on Dickinson?

We haven’t added another 5 man to the roster. Did he just decide we didn’t need another big man once Dickinson turned us down and Tshiebwe decided to stay in the draft?

That really doesn’t make sense.

What makes sense is that Cal knows we still need a legitimate 5 man and is either waiting for a grad transfer to become available in August or already has someone in mind that will be available in August.

Add in two injuries to the 5 spot.

So does it make sense to want a 5 man in the Spring, miss out on one, then two of your current 5 men get injured, and you decide you don’t need another 5 man?

No, it doesn’t. Especially knowing Cal’s philosophy on big men (“you’re a fraud if you don’t have a post up game”).

Reactions: UKrazycat2
Thats great and I'm all for it but you still have to have a big who can go down low and get nasty. That Africa team was the least skilled team we faced by far, but they were big dudes who bully balled us and lo and behold, played us closer than anyone.
I hear you, and don’t totally disagree.

No team is perfect. This team will have holes. I’d rather have holes in the paint than on the perimeter. The last 2 years have worn me out.

I’m ready for a team of fast athletic shot making play-makers.

Reactions: jauk11
I hear you, and don’t totally disagree.

No team is perfect. This team will have holes. I’d rather have holes in the paint than on the perimeter. The last 2 years have worn me out.

I’m ready for a team of fast athletic shot making play-makers.
I am afraid of another 2016.

We had the guards (Ulis and Murray), but nothing inside (Labissiere).

We have to have someone who can score inside.

We just don’t want them to be the focal point of the offense like Tshiebwe has been the last two seasons.

Reactions: bballcat4
Examination of questions, such as these, must first begin with another set of questions. Therein lies the answer.

What is best for the player, his future beyond college, and what makes the player's coach appeal to other similar, potential, future players as well, is how any such decisions will be made.

Green room first, basketball court second.

Last edited:
Reactions: UKrazycat2
Examination of questions, such as these, must first begin with another set of questions. Therein lies the answer.

What is best for the player, his future beyond college, and what makes the players coach appeal to other similar, potential, future players as well, is how any such decisions will be made.

Green room first, basketball court second.
The road to true enlightenment must begin with the first step.

Thats great and I'm all for it but you still have to have a big who can go down low and get nasty. That Africa team was the least skilled team we faced by far, but they were big dudes who bully balled us and low and behold, played us closer than anyone.
They played us closer because they brought in 2 or 3 new players. Wonder how close or how many games they may have won?

I agree. I’m not losing sleep over a perceived lack of bigs.

We’ve got a plethora of guys who can hit shots, attack the basket, and make plays with the ball in their hands.

Wagner
Reed
Reeves
Dillingham
Edwards
Adou

Fast athletic play-makers. Have fun trying to stop it.
Easy to see that you don't know much about basketball.

Yeah but who are they going to stop? Also, better hope we shoot 100 percent cause we aren’t rebounding much with them guys. I get people gun shy about Bigs and Cal, Lord knows we don’t want to play with 3 of them at a time(Cal probably does) but you have to have meat on the roster. 2 Bigs who have played like 10 mins total of college basketball, both had surgery, yeah I’m not willing to risk the potential on a great season because we were a player short, again.
You're exactly right Sammy.

220915Ware03_CB.jpg
Of course we would need him the second he leaves.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
I think of Whitehead at Duke.He had foot surgery early and really never seemed the same all season.

We need another big. When Bradshaw and Ugo return we fine. Another big and dumb call will have the urge to play big bully ball and not small ball which clearly is the way to go. No more big please. Just sayn
It is not another big we need........it is another coach!!!

Here’s something else to think about:

During the offseason, when we were down to 7 scholarship players, Cal went hard after three portal guys, Dickinson who plays the 5, Kaluma who plays the 4 and Johnson who plays the 4.

So Cal obviously wanted to upgrade at the 4 and 5 spots.

I am pretty sure Johnson and Kaluma were recruited for the same spot. They weren’t both coming to UK.

Dickinson was the only guy Cal really went after at the 5.

We struck out with all three.

Then Mitchell came along and filled the 4 spot.

So why hasn’t Cal went after a 5 man after missing on Dickinson?

We haven’t added another 5 man to the roster. Did he just decide we didn’t need another big man once Dickinson turned us down and Tshiebwe decided to stay in the draft?

That really doesn’t make sense.

What makes sense is that Cal knows we still need a legitimate 5 man and is either waiting for a grad transfer to become available in August or already has someone in mind that will be available in August.

Add in two injuries to the 5 spot.

So does it make sense to want a 5 man in the Spring, miss out on one, then two of your current 5 men get injured, and you decide you don’t need another 5 man?

No, it doesn’t. Especially knowing Cal’s philosophy on big men (“you’re a fraud if you don’t have a post up game”).
Maybe a quality big man would want to go somewhere where he wouldn't have to rely on both big man getting injured to be number one?

Lol. Still months until the season starts. Bradshaw will be back within 1 month and Onyenso will be before the season begins. We don't need another big. Some on here think we should sign a couple more pfs and couple wings, another big or two, AND a extry pg JUST IN CASE. We can't have 20 players, this is not a fantasy league. Not to mention no playing time for any new additions.

I am afraid of another 2016.

We had the guards (Ulis and Murray), but nothing inside (Labissiere).

We have to have someone who can score inside.

We just don’t want them to be the focal point of the offense like Tshiebwe has been the last two seasons.
Don't we have more than two guards this year?

Maybe a quality big man would want to go somewhere where he wouldn't have to rely on both big man getting injured to be number one?
I don’t get it.

Are you saying we shouldn’t try to get a quality big man because they might not want to come here because we only need them because of injury?

That doesn’t make sense.

Lol. Still months until the season starts. Bradshaw will be back within 1 month and Onyenso will be before the season begins. We don't need another big. Some on here think we should sign a couple more pfs and couple wings, another big or two, AND a extry pg JUST IN CASE. We can't have 20 players, this is not a fantasy league. Not to mention no playing time for any new additions.
We only have one scholarship left.

Isn’t it smart to add players where you are thinnest, if you are going to add a player?

I believe we have seven players listed as guards.

We have four players listed as forwards.

Only three of those four can legitimately play the 5 spot. Two of those are coming off surgery. The other is better suited playing the 4 spot.

If we add another player, the biggest area of need would be at forward. Specifically, at the 5 spot.

That’s my logic at least.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT