ADVERTISEMENT

Why is DJ shooting 8 Three Pointers and not getting into the paint?

catben

All-American
Sep 13, 2003
I realize that Stonehill was packing it in, but still can't see why he wasn't trying to penetrate the Zone instead of just jacking up 3's.

If he could have he would have. Honestly there are alot of things about his game I like,his offense however needs LOTS of work. Theres no way he or Edwards should consider being one and dones at this point. They both need to get alot better as college players before even considering the NBA.

Last edited:
Old basketball saying:

Pass thru a zone,
Dribble thru a man-to-man

I was impressed with our discipline in passing, the mindset was right. A little sloppy down low, but they were looking the right places. There will be games where DJ and Rob can Pentwater and I still believe DJ is the strongest finisher among the guards.

Its early. They're all going to have some nights they shine based on match-ups and defensive focus. Shep & Rob are going to get more attention in conference if they continue to scorch the nets. Reeves is already dangerous. That means Edward's & Mitchell aren't going to get doubled much. Everybody can eat if they pick good spots.

It is for a point guard. How many assists did he have?
Now see, we're moving the goal posts.

Before, it was he couldn't shoot. Now he's making shots and he's shooting too much. Why isn't he getting us more assists.

You guys bi+ch and complain about Cal having his guys, but some of you have Reed as your guy and are completely illogical on whoever you see as in his way.

Now see, we're moving the goal posts.

Before, it was he couldn't shoot. Now he's making shots and he's shooting too much. Why isn't he getting us more assists.

You guys bi+ch and complain about Cal having his guys, but some of you have Reed as your guy and are completely illogical on whoever you see as in his way.
Hold up chief. Quit putting words in my mouth. I asked a simple question and you get all defensive. Why?

He's having trouble penetrating with the zone. His hops don't seem sufficient to finish over bigs.

Honestly, think he needs to focus on driving and finishing AND GETTING TO THE LINE. Right how he just drives and gets pushed off balance. He needs to get to the line.

Should be getting 8-10 pts a game solely from FTs. We aren't getting enough FTs as a team either.

Hold up chief. Quit putting words in my mouth. I asked a simple question and you get all defensive. Why?
There's nothing defensive about the post. I called out your bad argument.

38% from 3 is good, regardless of who shoots it. If the whole team shoots 38% all year, we'll be really good.

You're telling me that it's bad because he's a point guard. Then you ask about his assists. That implies "the point guard is supposed to pass the ball."

So, keep picking and choosing what it takes for him to be successful.

Maybe I'm alone on this but I don't think Wagner has been playing that bad. He's got a decent looking shot, and I trust him shooting a wide open three much more than I did with someone like Wheeler or Hagans. The KU game was a black eye but other than that he's been fine. Once he stops pressing I think we'll see some better performances from him

Your question wasn’t that simple. It was a subtle dig at Wagner. You know it, we know it, everybody knows it …..chief.
I'm sure your boyfriend doesn't need you defending him. You Wagner lovers are wearing tin foil hats. Every comment about your boy just has to be a "dig".

Reactions: NociHTTP
As long as he’s playing in the flow of the game I don’t have a problem with it. If he’s jacking up threes to prove to the NBA that he can make them, then I have an issue with it.

I'm sure your boyfriend doesn't need you defending him. You Wagner lovers are wearing tin foil hats. Every comment about your boy just has to be a "dig".
Boyfriend? That’s a good one. You really got me. You asked how many assists he had. Were you aware Stonehill played a zone defense? When you’re playing against zone, ball movement is the best way to attack it. Ball movement from every offensive player, not any position in particular.

Reactions: lazycat75
Maybe I'm alone on this but I don't think Wagner has been playing that bad. He's got a decent looking shot, and I trust him shooting a wide open three much more than I did with someone like Wheeler or Hagans. The KU game was a black eye but other than that he's been fine. Once he stops pressing I think we'll see some better performances from him
You’re not alone. It’s like this every year with our fanbase. They pick out a player who they don’t like and the unmercifully bash said player the whole season. They tore Marquis Teague a new a$$ when he was here. The same Marquis Teague who improved as the year went by and played a critical part in winning the title in 2012.

Reactions: lazycat75
Boyfriend? That’s a good one. You really got me. You asked how many assists he had. Were you aware Stonehill played a zone defense? When you’re playing against zone, ball movement is the best way to attack it. Ball movement from every offensive player, not any position in particular.
I asked a question and you answered it. I'm not sure why you feel there is more to it than that. I didn't get to watch the whole game, that's why I asked. I just think that the point guard is the facilitator of the offense.

You’re not alone. It’s like this every year with our fanbase. They pick out a player who they don’t like and the unmercifully bash said player the whole season. They tore Marquis Teague a new a$$ when he was here. The same Marquis Teague who improved as the year went by and played a critical part in winning the title in 2012.

I think the issue is he’s just not as good as he was supposed to be. He was rated the number 1 player in the class for a long time. He should be a lot better than he is and I don’t think time will change that aspect.

I like Wag and I think he’ll be a solid player if he doesn’t shoot us out of games first, but at this point he’s no higher than the 3rd best recruit from our class, not in the country, just from our freshman. He was clearly overrated.

I don’t think any UK fan wants to bash anyone, they certainly aren’t picking players to hit for no reason. There is a reason people are dissatisfied with Wagner.

Reactions: NociHTTP and catben
Out of all the recruits in this class he has the toughest adjustment to make . He wasn’t a PG in HS or AAU. Now he’s asked to run the offense in college .

I asked a question and you answered it. I'm not sure why you feel there is more to it than that. I didn't get to watch the whole game, that's why I asked. I just think that the point guard is the facilitator of the offense.
Well, I suppose I gathered there was “more to it than that” when I read your posts about other point guards we’ve had at UK, such as this:
Sure. A fool who wanted Rupp's name abolished and a midget quitter. No thanks.

I’m not too concerned about DJ. He’ll figure it out soon.

Edwards is much more concerning. I thought he was going to be James Young on steroids. I’m just hoping he can still be James Young at this point.

He’s not at athletic as advertised. He didn’t blow by much of anyone against Kansas in man. When he did get to the rim last night his shots were wonky, unlike Dilly who seems to have an instinct for creating space, even when he’s much smaller. If he can adjust and create his own space, that’ll fix a lot.

DJ shared the ball just fine, regardless of stats. His main role was to feed it in to Mitchell which he did well (remember when we were begging for anyone that could feed the post?). Mitchell then got a bunch of assists by seeing which man collapsed on him. Wagner did what he was told to do. This is a good way to attack a zone. Team effort.

There’s no doubt Shep and Dilly are penetrating better right now and making quicker decisions (sometimes too quick with Dilly). But Wagner can be very good with some more spatial awareness.

Reactions: catben and Padsfs07
Your question wasn’t that simple. It was a subtle dig at Wagner. You know it, we know it, everybody knows it …..chief.
Nobody is digging at players. People have their opinions of players. Everyone here is an expert, that's what makes us fans.

Reactions: catben
Out of all the recruits in this class he has the toughest adjustment to make . He wasn’t a PG in HS or AAU. Now he’s asked to run the offense in college .
I was really hoping to see him be able to get to the rim and finish because he is strong with the ball. I thought he could hit the floater in the paint and draw fouls OR distribute the ball to open shooters, which we FINALLY have this year.

However, so far he wants to SHOOT first and do all of the other things secondarily. I HATE seeing him jack up Step-Back 3's!!!

Reactions: shaudyshaud
I realize that Stonehill was packing it in, but still can't see why he wasn't trying to penetrate the Zone instead of just jacking up 3's.
He should be able to get to the rim against a team like Stonehill no matter what they do .... IF he is who they say he is.

Reactions: catben
I think Cal should try moving Wagner to the off guard spot. He's not facilitating the offense very well at point and Dillingham is more adept off the dribble. Let Dillingham and Sheppard run point for the time being.

Wagner made some wide open shots. If they are just going to let him have those, he should take shots that open.

Reactions: oakhillcatman
He's shown the ability to take it to the hole, he just can't finish there. First few games he'd get there and throw up wild shots. He couldn't hit the rim on a few of them. He's got a nice looking stroke though. I'm more concerened about Edwards than DJ at the moment.

Reactions: KY Long Rifle
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT