ADVERTISEMENT

Why can't James Young stick with a team in the NBA

Jul 23, 2002
I like James game when he was at Kentucky. He had a smooth jumpshot and I just knew he would be a solid player in the nba.

Inconsistent shooter who could never break the habit of falling back as he shot, terrible passer, not a good defender.. he doesn't do anything particularly well. He was a "potential" pick who didn't pan out

Reactions: KFuqua and 502cats
Guys like him are a dime a dozen when it comes to the NBA. 6'5-6'6 guys who can shoot. In order to stay in the league you have to be pretty good at something else and he really wasn't.

He'd probably excel overseas which is still a very good living.

Dude has the size, athleticism, and was a good enough shooter, problem is he can't play. Low basketball IQ, horrific passer, horrific defender. Dude needs to learn to play the game.

Reactions: KINGBEAST
Youngs greatest strength when he was here seemed to be willing in bad shots in traffic because of his athleticism.

He can't do that in the league. Which makes him nothing more than a solid outside shooter.

Like others mentioned, bad bball IQ, bad defender, bad ball skills for a guard. Supposedly questionable work ethic when he was here as well.

Reactions: KFuqua
Because it's really, really hard to stick in the NBA. More guys enter the league than retire every year. James Young isn't better than those guys.

He was highly touted based on what he could possibly grow into with his physical gifts, but he's just not as skilled as he needs to be to fill his role. He's also just 22 years old and has made about $5 million so far.

Not bad for a kid who isn't all that great at basketball by NBA standards.

Reminds me a little bit of Gerald Fitch..... he needs to go Euroball or China and make a killing. Although to be honest I'm not so sure he would stand out from being on those teams either.......

Reactions: Sburke1150
Tbh I thought he was an absolute beast at UK and expected big things from him in the NBA. Great, but streaky shooter, deep range, can jump out of the gym. I really liked what he brought to our University and he will always be a beloved cat IMO. Even though I feel like many don't give him the credit he deserves for what he did in his time here.

With that said, I know a girl who knows him and is from same town as him and she told me once he got drafted he got everything he wanted and really didn't care what else happened. So I guess it was a work ethic/content with his millions thing.

When you draft on potential there will be hits and misses. He looks to go down as a miss. Don’t feel too sorry for him as he still stands to make a helluva living playing basketball.

I was really disappointed that the Celtics gave up on Young. But after seeing what I've seen from that organization the last few years, I have to think most of it was on him. When you see guys like Rozier and Smart work their way into the rotation through sheer effort and determination, (Rozier was drafted at the same spot Young was the year before) and guys like Shane Larkin given major minutes, you have to conclude that Young either was not willing or not capable of working to improve his game and earn minutes. Certainly the Celtics need another deadeye shooter off the bench, but Stevens isn't going to accept a guy just relying on his shooting when the rest of his game is average to poor.

Tbh
I really liked James. But he really wasn’t that great a player
When your fondest memory is pics of him sleeping....

Reactions: St.PatterSoN-54-
On a side note I hate that we are bashing an Ex-UK player.... he will always be family one or done or not.

I like James game when he was at Kentucky. He had a smooth jumpshot and I just knew he would be a solid player in the nba.

I remember him being a terrible passer, poor defender, mediocre ballhander and erratic shooter.

So, yeah, you're right, smooth, looked like a can't miss prospect...

Last edited:
Reactions: Blouman
Tbh
I really liked James. But he really wasn’t that great a player
When your fondest memory is pics of him sleeping....
My fondest memories of him include going bananas with clutch buckets and winning us the Wichita game which started the great run. And albeit a sad ending, an amazing dunk vs UConn. He was a great player for UK.

Reactions: Bkocats and kev69
james_young.jpg
He's made 5.2 million in 3 years, not too bad, I would like to have that much to retire on..And he's only 22, many years to go, maybe overseas or another NBA contract

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/philadelphia-76ers/james-young-15369/cash-earnings/
I would love to know how much of that 5.2 million he has left. The government steals half of it right away.
That puts 2.6 million in James pocket. His agent pockets roughly $260.000 of that. That still leaves a very healthy $2.340.000...

Of course, James likes his jewelry and his tattoos. Hopefully he has a very smart financial advisor, BTW, I loved J.Y. at UK. One of my favorites, despite a lot of holes in his game. He’ll probably do well overseas.
He can definitely score.

Reactions: crpoore
Has nothing to do with physical ability- James has all the right tools.

He's not mentally tough enough. He's not physically tough enough. Bad body language. Not consistent enough.

Left school too early. Had a ton of maturing to do, and needed a lot of coaching. Woulda really benefited him to stay at UK another year or 2.

But I suppose you can't blame him for leaving for the 1st round money.

Reactions: kev69
Has nothing to do with physical ability- James has all the right tools.

He's not mentally tough enough. He's not physically tough enough. Bad body language. Not consistent enough.

Left school too early. Had a ton of maturing to do, and needed a lot of coaching. Woulda really benefited him to stay at UK another year or 2.

But I suppose you can't blame him for leaving for the 1st round money.
Spot on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT