ADVERTISEMENT

Why can't James Young stick with a team in the NBA

On a side note I hate that we are bashing an Ex-UK player.... he will always be family one or done or not.
Jesus Christ, grow some testicles. We’re just discussing him on a message board. Some liked him, some didn’t think he was all that great. What’s with the snowflakes on here?

James wouldn’t piss on any of us if we were on fire. I think he’s doing just fine. Relax people.

I wonder how some of you make it in the real world. Do you really think James Young is sitting around somewhere worrying about what someone on a silly message board is saying about him? Really? Get over yourselves.

Jesus Christ, grow some testicles. We’re just discussing him on a message board. Some liked him, some didn’t think he was all that great. What’s with the snowflakes on here?

James wouldn’t piss on any of us if we were on fire. I think he’s doing just fine. Relax people.

I wonder how some of you make it in the real world. Do you really think James Young is sitting around somewhere worrying about what someone on a silly message board is saying about him? Really? Get over yourselves.

This 100%. Any honest criticism will get you crucified on this board.

Reactions: kev69
Reminds me a little bit of Gerald Fitch..... he needs to go Euroball or China and make a killing. Although to be honest I'm not so sure he would stand out from being on those teams either.......

He's got better tools than Fitch but not his IQ, or skills.

He is probably the worst passers-by under 6'9 I can think of and one of the worst above that range as well.

That has to have some consequences at some point especially when otherwise you don't have a equal strength to counter it.
James Young was mediocre to fair at most everything else but not elite or even great at anything with a red flag level flaw.

His consistent range may have been exposed by the NBA 3 too. That makes for a guy that has trouble staying on the floor, somebody will keep coming along making a stronger impression. A very good but not elite athlete that is just OK on defense at best with a mediocre handle, bad passing, and limited range is too replaceable in the NBA.

The international line, fewer elite athletes with skills, and more PT might make a world of difference and he can make some really good bread for a while overseas or even improve in an area or two where he can add value to an NBA roster spot before he is in the down side and isn't going to draw a gamble.

I loved Young. He’s got NBA talent. He doesn’t have a NBA work ethic though. That itself is a big reason why some guys should stay more than a year. You can have all the talent in the world but if you haven’t learned how to train and work the right way you’ll never make it. Teague and Lamb are in the exact same boat. Briscoe as well although his talent level is lower than the other 3. Still, if he actually worked hard he could probably find a spot in the league.

I really liked James Young at UK but truly he is not good enough to make it in the NBA. He is an ok shooter but not great and he doesn't do much of anything else.

Reactions: loublue22
He scored 18 against U of L in the regular season game, then disappeared in the tournament game because he kept going for Luke Hancock's head fakes.

He scored 18 against U of L in the regular season game, then disappeared in the tournament game because he kept going for Luke Hancock's head fakes.

Hancock was pushing off all night. Didn't get called a single time. And he whined like a ***** everytime someone so much as looked at him.

One of my favorite moments during the Calipari era is Poythress coming in after young fouled out and absolutely abusing Hancock on both ends over the last 5 minutes.

Youd think the people in this gm were talking about Archie Goodwin with the way they describe Young. Keep seeing this all this worst passer ever stuff, um, does Archie Goodwin ring a bell? Not only is he the worst passer ever, he usually refused to pass it to the open man and would rather shoot over a triple team than kick out to open man. Unlike Goodwin, Young was actually a team player. He wasn't super selfish and didn't only care about him getting his shots up and nothing else. Keep hearing all this bad about Young even though he had a great season here with many special moments. I swear people are bashing and describing him as if they were describing Goodwin.

Reactions: CatfanMike47
Youd think the people in this gm were talking about Archie Goodwin with the way they describe Young. Keep seeing this all this worst passer ever stuff, um, does Archie Goodwin ring a bell? Not only is he the worst passer ever, he usually refused to pass it to the open man and would rather shoot over a triple team than kick out to open man. Unlike Goodwin, Young was actually a team player. He wasn't super selfish and didn't only care about him getting his shots up and nothing else. Keep hearing all this bad about Young even though he had a great season here with many special moments. I swear people are bashing and describing him as if they were describing Goodwin.

Archie may have been a less willing passers-by on a team with less desirable options to pass to but he was easily more capable.

The question is why isn't he sticking not if we like him or not or how much of a team player he is.

james_young.jpg

I would love to know how much of that 5.2 million he has left. The government steals half of it right away.
That puts 2.6 million in James pocket. His agent pockets roughly $260.000 of that. That still leaves a very healthy $2.340.000...

Of course, James likes his jewelry and his tattoos. Hopefully he has a very smart financial advisor, BTW, I loved J.Y. at UK. One of my favorites, despite a lot of holes in his game. He’ll probably do well overseas.
He can definitely score.

Agents do not receive a commission on rookie contracts for early draft picks. First contract is based on rookie pay scale and there is little to no negotiation required.

As an overall player, I'd take Goodwin over Young (despite me being a critic of Archie's game). Archie was a better defender, a better rebounder, had a better handle, and played with more energy.

As for the passing issue, BOTH guys were very bad passers for perimeter players, two of the worst we've had here. The reason you noticed it more with Archie is because he was forced into the primary ballhandler role after Ryan Harrow flamed out--thus he was the guy on that team with primary responsibility for distributing to open teammates--but his poor passing skills and lack of court vision just weren't up to the task. Young had the same flaws (maybe even to a worse degree), but because he was playing off ball at the small forward spot, he did not have nearly as much of a passing burden placed on his shoulders.

Fwiw, seems like quite a few folks on this thread are overrating how good Young was here just because of a couple awesome dunks and a couple big games. They seem to have forgotten that, in between those memorable moments, he was a very flawed player.

Last edited:
When Young posted his uconn dunk on social media less than an hour after losing the National Championship game it confirmed for me that he was one of the few mercenaries (Cal has recruited only a few) we've had and I stopped caring about anything related to James Young.

My fondest memories of him include going bananas with clutch buckets and winning us the Wichita game which started the great run. And albeit a sad ending, an amazing dunk vs UConn. He was a great player for UK.

There were times in that tournament when Young was the best player on the floor. Certainly he was in most of the championship game. He scored 7 of UK's first 10 points as I recall, and 20 of UK's 54 in the game. He was also the top rebounder in that game with 7. And got to the free throw line 9 times and made 8 of them. He would have been the undisputed hero if UK had won the game. Instead people still dump on him years later.

Reactions: CatfanMike47
Rex Chapman made this point:

MJ asked him why he wasn't big on Kevin Knox, and he explained there have two players here who were pitiful with the ball. James Young was #1 worst ballhandler/passer he's ever seen at UK, and Kevin Knox is not far behind him. He said you can't play in the NBA if you can't dribble. Makes sense.

I could have sworn James Young beat some people off the dribble, but I don't really remember. I do remember he was awful passer. I do know Kevin Knox never beat anybody off the dribble and flat out never passed or created anything with the ball. Both of those guys were good at catching and shooting.

It's amazing the 2014 team made it to the final when you look back on it. So many good players, but they only seemed to gel when they got down a few baskets. Those were some damn good teams we beat in succession.

Goodwin had 88 assist in 33 games. Young had 67 assists in 40 games. Goodwin wasn't nearly as dreadful passing the ball as you remember.

Reactions: shaudyshaud
Goodwin had 88 assist in 33 games. Young had 67 assists in 40 games. Goodwin wasn't nearly as dreadful passing the ball as you remember.

That's not a valid comparison. The reason Goodwin had so many more assists than Young is because they were playing different roles. Archie was our primary ballhandler (especially after Ryan Harrow disappeared), whereas Young was playing off ball at the small forward spot. For that reason alone, it's obvious which one is gonna end up with more assists.

He may've had a good number of assists but, rest assured, Archie was an awful passer. In all my years as a UK fan, I've never seen anyone playing a point type role who missed so many wide open teammates--usually to instead go barreling forward on yet another one of his ill-advised off balance drives into traffic, or to toss away another turnover. I appreciated Archie's effort, but as a decision-maker/distributor he drove me insane.

Of course, that's not all his fault, as the dude was forced to play out of position because of Harrow's "issues."

Last edited:
I was really disappointed that the Celtics gave up on Young. But after seeing what I've seen from that organization the last few years, I have to think most of it was on him. When you see guys like Rozier and Smart work their way into the rotation through sheer effort and determination, (Rozier was drafted at the same spot Young was the year before) and guys like Shane Larkin given major minutes, you have to conclude that Young either was not willing or not capable of working to improve his game and earn minutes. Certainly the Celtics need another deadeye shooter off the bench, but Stevens isn't going to accept a guy just relying on his shooting when the rest of his game is average to poor.

It's kinda hard to remember because we have some every year but that dude could not pass, like hami bad skills with the ball. He could shoot and had okay handle but you can't just be OK in the league. Look at P.J. Tucker, you can tell he worked his ass off and is ten times the player he was in college.

That's not a valid comparison. The reason Goodwin had so many more assists than Young is because they were playing different roles. Archie was our primary ballhandler (especially after Ryan Harrow disappeared), whereas Young was playing off ball at the small forward spot. For that reason alone, it's obvious which one is gonna end up with more assists.

He may've had a good number of assists but, rest assured, Archie was a very poor passer. In all my years as a UK fan, I've never seen anyone playing a point type role who missed so many wide open teammates--usually to instead go barreling forward on yet another one of his ill-advised off balance drives into traffic, or to toss away another turnover. I appreciated Archie's effort, but as a decision-maker/distributor he drove me insane.

Of course, that's not all his fault, as the dude was forced to play out of position because of Harrow's "issues."

Goodwin is and will be the Cal player with the least help ever on the roster. He would have been really good on any other team.

He is probably the worst passers-by under 6'9 I can think of and one of the worst above that range as well.

That has to have some consequences at some point especially when otherwise you don't have a equal strength to counter it.
James Young was mediocre to fair at most everything else but not elite or even great at anything with a red flag level flaw.

His consistent range may have been exposed by the NBA 3 too. That makes for a guy that has trouble staying on the floor, somebody will keep coming along making a stronger impression. A very good but not elite athlete that is just OK on defense at best with a mediocre handle, bad passing, and limited range is too replaceable in the NBA.

The international line, fewer elite athletes with skills, and more PT might make a world of difference and he can make some really good bread for a while overseas or even improve in an area or two where he can add value to an NBA roster spot before he is in the down side and isn't going to draw a gamble.

He would be a 20ppg guy in China and make a few million over there.

Not ever really great at anything, and never had that work ethic to get better.

The really good players all have that drive to continue to improve, even when it seems like they can’t.

So we're saying a 19 yr got over $3m dollars and coasted with it? Damn!

What it really shows is simply the difference in how much some players "want it" and some don't. The difference between being NBA GOOD and just good is right between the ears.

ADVERTISEMENT