ADVERTISEMENT

Why can't it be Chris Beard?

Eagles_Ball

Blue Chip Prospect
Dec 19, 2003
Everyone is going to go the "woman beater" route, right? But seriously, of the names being tossed about he coaches circles around most/all of them. Guarantee he'd be hungry to get at Texas. I know a guy pretty well that GA'd with him way back in the Penders days at Texas. Knows the story well. If he's accurate, it's a one-off deal. He got a raw deal at Texas and they overreacted. Save this one instance, he's the best choice of the realistic (no, I don't think Wright, Donovan, or Steven are realistic) options. I'd rather have him than Pearl, Oats, Drew, et al.

Reactions: dl51344
If the university looks into the domestic situation and feels he’s okay to hire that would be good enough for me. And unless there’s something in his background (drinking) that should stop it, Beard is the obvious guy. He’s ready to explode.

All of that must be looked into and I’m not sure the status of where he stands nationally with AD’s, but Ole Miss went ahead during this era so that says something at least. Beard with a clean background would probably be the guy.

Reactions: WildcatNC
He sure bombed this year with ole miss against solid to good competition. Barney will never consider him due to the woman beater issue.
How did he bomb? Granted they were 7-11 and finished 10th in the league. But sheesh, it's Ole Miss. They'd won 7 games in conference play the previous two seasons combined. They won 22 games this season. I think they won 22 games combined the previous two. His record at TTU and Texas should be enough. Sheesh, he had that Texas team built so good last year Rodney freaking Terry couldn't screw it up. That should speak volumes alone.

I believe he signed a new deal with Ole Miss right before the SEC tournament.

How did he bomb? Granted they were 7-11 and finished 10th in the league. But sheesh, it's Ole Miss. They'd won 7 games in conference play the previous two seasons combined. They won 22 games this season. I think they won 22 games combined the previous two. His record at TTU and Texas should be enough. Sheesh, he had that Texas team built so good last year Rodney freaking Terry couldn't screw it up. That should speak volumes alone.
RE: Scott Drew:

Sheesh, it's Baylor. They were awful before he got there. But people act like he's supposed to go to the Elite 8 every year to prove he's a good coach.

Reactions: 2StepShep
The ex fiancee recanted her story and said she lied ....Chris and I are deeply saddened that we have brought negative attention upon our family, friends and the University of Texas, among others. As Chris’ fiancée and biggest supporter, I apologize for the role I played in this unfortunate event. I realize that my frustration, when breaking his glasses, initiated a physical struggle between Chris and myself,” Trew said. “Chris did not strangle me, and I told that to law enforcement that evening. Chris has stated that he was acting in self-defense, and I do not refute that. I do not believe Chris was trying to intentionally harm me in any way. It was never my intent to have him arrested or prosecuted. We appreciate everyone’s support and prayers during this difficult time.” who knows

Reactions: Kuhldaddy
I KNOW the situation. He got a raw deal at Texas, they overreacted. That dude is a ball coach, a talent developer. Look at his previous stops, wins wherever he goes. Without out the domestic charges, he would be a slam dunk hire. With the charges, it is a publicity problem, one that Mitch won't want. But there is no doubt that he would knock it out of the park here.

• Haha
Reactions: crawfords corner
We have the most by the book AD in the country, mostly for the worst so no chance. Mitch is a good guy but I hate that we have such a buttoned up, one step behind the times AD

I KNOW the situation. He got a raw deal at Texas, they overreacted. That dude is a ball coach, a talent developer. Look at his previous stops, wins wherever he goes. Without out the domestic charges, he would be a slam dunk hire. With the charges, it is a publicity problem, one that Mitch won't want. But there is no doubt that he would knock it out of the park here.
Exactly the story I got. My buddy only talks to him directly a few times a year. Sporadic stuff. But still talks regularly to people very close, some still at Texas. Regret is the word that comes up most often. Knee jerk reaction.

Beard signed an extension. Would be an very expensive option. Doubt its even a consideration.
I'm not sure the buyout information is out there yet, but it's not uncommon for coaches in the state to get extensions annually. The state of Mississippi only allows for employees to have four year contracts. I remember hearing this, maybe on Matt's show, during the Bama search. Or maybe it was Auburn. I can't remember. Just remember them saying Kiffin's deal could only be a four year deal, which limits the buyout as well.

I wondered the same thing. So I looked at how he actually did.
8-0 vs not good mid-majors
6-0 vs bad/mediocre majors (Temple, UCF, Cal, 13th-14th SEC)
6-5 vs decent/good teams (NC St, Memphis, 6th-12th SEC - losing to UGA, LSU, splitting with Miss St, and losing 2 of 3 to TAMU)
0-7 vs top teams (1st & 2nd place SEC teams)

So he won ALL of the games (14) he was supposed to win. Won none (0) of the games he should have lost. I guess you could argue that 6-5 could have been better.

Considering it's year 1, and IT'S MISSISSIPPI, I think that is pretty good.

Everyone deserves a 2nd chance. I think he would do well at UK. Question is he still with the same woman ?

Beard is imo clearly the best guy to get after BD an Wright say no. He's succeeded everywhere n done it great. A truly proven coach .

Only issue we got the worst AD in major D1 sports

Reactions: dl51344
Billy Clyde... the drunk
Calipari... the cheater
Beard... the woman beater

Do you really want the college basketball and sports worlds thinking this is Kentucky basketball??

I wondered the same thing. So I looked at how he actually did.
8-0 vs not good mid-majors
6-0 vs bad/mediocre majors (Temple, UCF, Cal, 13th-14th SEC)
6-5 vs decent/good teams (NC St, Memphis, 6th-12th SEC - losing to UGA, LSU, splitting with Miss St, and losing 2 of 3 to TAMU)
0-7 vs top teams (1st & 2nd place SEC teams)

So he won ALL of the games (14) he was supposed to win. Won none (0) of the games he should have lost. I guess you could argue that 6-5 could have been better.

Considering it's year 1, and IT'S MISSISSIPPI, I think that is pretty good.
Exactly

I do not want a man who beats his wife to be our coach. First off, screw that guy; secondly, does that sound like a guy that would handle the pressure of the UK job well? This is the worst idea I e heard on this board.

Reactions: Pygmy Sasquatch
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT