ADVERTISEMENT

Who's the best big man you ever saw

I heard Mark Messier on Dan Patrick and they were asking about Gretsky. He said the only way to compare players from different eras is to see how they did against their peers at the time. And Wilt dominated his peers. He also won 2 NBA championships and 2 titles at Kansas. I never saw him play though. He always gets compared to Russell because he didn't win as many titles. But neither has anyone else.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: blubo
Someone who was alive during the age of Wilt please share a story here of how dominant he was.
That could take forever. 50.4 ppg and 25.7 rebounds for an entire Nba season is a good start I guess. NBA record for 39 consecutive field goals made. Only Center to ever lead the league in assists. He was Big 8 champion in numerous events from sprinting, high jump, and an undefeated shot put career. Arnold has verified he witnessed Wilt bench over 500 lbs.

Duncan, Shaq, Kareem, Hakeem, Ewing. All were fantastic and dominate bigs. I’d say I would take prime Shaq over anyone but Hakeem and Abdul-Jabar could easily be considered the best all around big men. Obviously Wilt has to be up there but it’s way before my time.

Reactions: Jmeeks54thebest
I saw him (on TV) score a 100 points in one game.

Also had 10,000 women at every city in the NBA (according to him).
I don't remember NBA games being on TV in 1962. What channel was it on?

Edit: The game was, in many ways, unremarkable. It was staged at Hershey Sports Arena, an impersonal concrete shell where the Warriors played a few games each season. For their game against the Knicks, the building was only half full. The wooden court was originally designed for roller skating. The game was not televised, and only a couple of newspaper reporters made the two-hour trip from Philadelphia.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blouman
Few people appreciate how athletic Wilt was. He could play today, with our training advantages and instructions.

Same for Russell. Although his advantage was the same as Jordan's. Absolutely refused to lose. As tenacious a competitor as ever played.

I was at the Navy/Robinson game at Rupp too. Awesome performance.

All the players listed were awesome. Walton the best passer. Russell the best defender. Kareem unstoppable on the blocks. Shaq the strongest. Etc.

In my old eyes, Wilt was the best ever.

Wilt was the most athletic 7-footer (7-1/275) ever, to this day. From his wiki page, "Chamberlain was 6 ft 11 in (2.11 m) when he entered Philadelphia's Overbrook High School.[5] As an avid track and field athlete, Chamberlain high jumped 6 feet, 6 inches, ran the 440 yards in 49.0 seconds and the 880 yards in 1:58.3, put the shot 53 feet, 4 inches, and long jumped 22 feet.[6]"

1. Kareem
2. Olajuwon
3. Wilt
4. Bill Russell
5. Shaq
6. Patrick Ewing

*Honorable mention:
Arvidas Sabonis. That dude was a very good offensive big guy and without a doubt the greatest passer for a big man. He had eyes in the back of his head. He always made at least one no-look pass a game.

origin.jpg

I don't remember NBA games being on TV in 1962. What channel was it on?

Edit: The game was, in many ways, unremarkable. It was staged at Hershey Sports Arena, an impersonal concrete shell where the Warriors played a few games each season. For their game against the Knicks, the building was only half full. The wooden court was originally designed for roller skating. The game was not televised, and only a couple of newspaper reporters made the two-hour trip from Philadelphia.
There is film of most of that game that has been shown on TV because I have seen them in the past, including the basket he scored the 99th. and 100th point on.
"Wilt Chamberlain's former mansion hits market for $14.9M
“My father and his father (Sid) taped the game on reel-to-reel in the second quarter when it was in Hershey, the 100-point game (in 1962), because they thought it would be a special night,” Pastner said.Jan 13, 2014."

Last edited:
I heard Mark Messier on Dan Patrick and they were asking about Gretsky. He said the only way to compare players from different eras is to see how they did against their peers at the time. And Wilt dominated his peers. He also won 2 NBA championships and 2 titles at Kansas. I never saw him play though. He always gets compared to Russell because he didn't win as many titles. But neither has anyone else.
I don’ think wilt won any titles at kansas.

Jokic is a mixture of all the greats, shooting, passing, court IQ. Just not a great defender, but is getting better. I have personally seen Akeem, Shaq, Duncan, Robinson, Ewing in their prime. Shaq by far is the most dominant, but Embid and Joker are better all around players.

I started watching the NBA when Wilt still played but he was in his late 30s then, not the force he was when younger. The most dominant I've seen on offense was Shaq, of course, and it's not close. I'd rate Kareem, Akeem, and pre injury Walton as about equal all around players; all great.

One of the things that stood out in that Wilt video was his passing. He kind of gets painted as a selfish player but he was making some very nice passes out of the post. And he was very fast, so he would get a rebound, pass it out quicky and then get back for the dunk. I would bet he got at least 10 points a game by beating the opposing big man down the court.

Reactions: rupp876
I started watching in 61. It was wilt. 50 points and 25 rebounds a game. Insane
Yep. Kareem was great ... but Wilt was just better - primarily because he was so much stronger. I went to an exhibition game once when Wilt was with Philly. It was at Belmont College's gym in Nashville. The players' "benches" were ordinary metal folding chairs. I was right behind the Philly bench. During a timeout, Wilt sat down in one chair and stretched his arms out - one arm over three chairs on each side ! ! ! I'll never forget the size of Wilt's deltoid muscles. It was like he had a softball implanted at the top of each arm !

I won’t get into a debate about who’s the best, but Hakeem was always my favorite center to watch. Maybe the best low post defender ever, masterful low post moves, incredible footwork inside, one of both the greatest ever rebounders and shot-blockers ever.

Watching Hakeem was like watching a master class on how the traditional center position should be played.
Hakeem teammate Bennie Anders was asked what’s it like playing with The Dream. He said, I got to drop the dime on the big Swahili and he puts it in da hole. Coach Guy Lewis said he told everyone that Hakeem was 6’11 and 3/4” because saying he was 7 feet put too much pressure on him. What a player he was. The motor, footwork, balance and timing was so great.

For his size Charles Barkley. I went to see Auburn vs Kentucky and Barkley killed Turpin and Bowie single handily.

I would have loved to see wilt and be able to compare him to players from this era. That guy was a machine on the court and in the bedroom.

Last edited:
There is film of most of that game that has been shown on TV because I have seen them in the past, including the basket he scored the 99th. and 100th point on.
"Wilt Chamberlain's former mansion hits market for $14.9M
“My father and his father (Sid) taped the game on reel-to-reel in the second quarter when it was in Hershey, the 100-point game (in 1962), because they thought it would be a special night,” Pastner said.Jan 13, 2014."
So, were you lying or not when you said you watched him score 100 points on TV?

Duncan is the best one I've ever seen play in-person. Saw him play many times for the Spurs while stationed at Lackland. Had the chance to see him and the Spurs play '05 & '07 Championship run.
Don't know if he was the best big man, but he was smooth and seemed to be playing effortlessly.

So, were you lying or not when you said you watched him score 100 points on TV?
The question from the Op was who is the best big man you ever SAW, which I took to mean IN PERSON.

My response was to clarify that I DIDN'T SEE WILT PLAY IN PERSON. but what I did see, I SAW ON TV.

Now do you understand old man????
I didn't say I SAW HIM LIVE ON TV.....You made that up.

I see you are still struggling with reading comprehension. Go take your meds.....

And P.S. just because YOU DON'T REMEMBER SOMETHING DOESN'T MEAN IT DIDN'T HAPPEN.
NBC broadcast an NBA game of the week on Sunday afternoons in the 60's before CBS took over the games.

Last edited:
Someone who was alive during the age of Wilt please share a story here of how dominant he was.
Back in the day, resorts in the Catskills catered to the wealthy. They hired high school/college players at various jobs. Those employees played basketball at night as entertainment for the guests. Red Auerbach (of Celtics fame) was an athletic director/ basketball coach at one of the resorts. Red hired high schooler Wilt Chamberlan as a bell hop and coached him in basketball. They got along great.

In those days, NBA teams could make territorial picks. Red tried to get Wilt to go to college in the Boston area so he could draft him for Boston, but Kansas offered Wilt a lot of money.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT