ADVERTISEMENT

Who's the best big man you ever saw

One of the things that stood out in that Wilt video was his passing. He kind of gets painted as a selfish player but he was making some very nice passes out of the post. And he was very fast, so he would get a rebound, pass it out quicky and then get back for the dunk. I would bet he got at least 10 points a game by beating the opposing big man down the court.
I read a story by one of his fellow players (forget the name), but he was a guard on the Philly NBA teams. He said even during sprints in practice, Wilt would beat the guards up and down the court on a regular basis.

Best big man I ever saw was this Grizzly Adams MOFO in Missouri many years ago, he stood about 6’6 and weighed about 350. One day I had to move an old school glass screen and base TV, weighed 265lbs. I said yeah I’ve got to figure out how to move that damn TV to the basement, without hesitation, he stood up and picked the SOB up effortlessly and started walking with it. All of my shit was still connected to it, 😂, he said to unplug everything as he he was walking away with it, four HDMI devices, RCA jacks, power coords etc., beast!

Reactions: christophero
That could take forever. 50.4 ppg and 25.7 rebounds for an entire Nba season is a good start I guess. NBA record for 39 consecutive field goals made. Only Center to ever lead the league in assists. He was Big 8 champion in numerous events from sprinting, high jump, and an undefeated shot put career. Arnold has verified he witnessed Wilt bench over 500 lbs.
This is an excellent testament to the value of strength as a measure of athleticism. There is no substitute and no answer for raw power.

Patrick always gets forgotten in these surveys.
Hated him at Georgetown, loved him with the Knicks.
I saw him when he was a High school Senior at the 1980 Olympic Trials in Memorial Colosseum. Whoever the best player I ever saw was, he was in that gym that day.

I’m 35 so based on who I saw play it’s Shaq.

He was physically the most dominant player I’ve ever witnessed. Just unfair the athleticism he had at his size and with his strength.

Over the years I’ve come to believe Kareem is the best big man of all time though. I just never got to personally witness him play.

In person, Sam Bowie before he began to be hobbled by injury. He was so skilled in the post, had so many moves to score and was a willing passer. Good rim protector. He just had it all, damn shame injuries knocked the special off him.

Reactions: rupp876
What was he's average. He was good. Wilt was unstoppable
Wilt didn't get double teamed in the post every possession the year he averaged 50 and never the way Shaq was doubled. Double teaming the post was basically invented to stop Wilt after that season and he never saw the kinds of double that Shaq faced after decades of perfecting the defense.

The only time I saw anybody try to guard Shaq without double teams was when the Nets tried it once with Dikembe Mutombo, the reigning defensive player of the year.

They decided it wasn't such a great idea when Mutombo picked up his 4th foul and Shaq had around 20 points. It was still in the 1st quarter.

There's no telling how many points Shaq would have averaged against the defenses Wilt faced but it would have been a lot since he dunked or got fouled every time he wasn't doubled.

Bill Walton in college. I don't know if he was the best I saw but his domination while he played is hard to forget.
I agree. In an NCAA championship game vs Memphis Walton made 21 of 22 shots from the floor and scored 44 points. Had several rebounds as well. Best single game performance that I’ve ever seen. Would have been a better pro if not for knee issues. Loved watching Walton and Larry Bird play together in the time Walton played with the Celtics.

Most valuable big man ever is Bill Russell.

Bill Walton in college. I don't know if he was the best I saw but his domination while he played is hard to forget.
I agree. In an NCAA championship game vs Memphis Walton made 21 of 22 shots from the floor and scored 44 points. Had several rebounds as well. Best single game performance that I’ve ever seen. Would have been a better pro if not for knee issues. Loved watching Walton and Larry Bird play together in the time Walton played with the Celtics.

In person: Anthony Davis. I haven't really done nba games due to no team where I live sadly.

On tv: Shaq.

2eLS.gif

Wilt didn't get double teamed in the post every possession the year he averaged 50 and never the way Shaq was doubled. Double teaming the post was basically invented to stop Wilt after that season and he never saw the kinds of double that Shaq faced after decades of perfecting the defense.

The only time I saw anybody try to guard Shaq without double teams was when the Nets tried it once with Dikembe Mutombo, the reigning defensive player of the year.

They decided it wasn't such a great idea when Mutombo picked up his 4th foul and Shaq had around 20 points. It was still in the 1st quarter.

There's no telling how many points Shaq would have averaged against the defenses Wilt faced but it would have been a lot since he dunked or got fouled every time he wasn't doubled.
The only thing that slowed Wilt's scoring was his own choice to shoot less.

I saw him (on TV) score a 100 points in one game.
There is film of most of that game that has been shown on TV because I have seen them in the past, including the basket he scored the 99th. and 100th point on.
So after you got caught lying the first time you decided to double down and tell yet another lie?

There is no video footage of that game. This is well known. So BOTH of your above posts are clearly not true.

Reactions: ukfan1622
So after you got caught lying the first time you decided to double down and tell yet another lie?

There is no video footage of that game. This is well known. So BOTH of your above posts are clearly not true.
Pretty sure this is what I have seen in the past on TV. Calling someone a liar based on something you are remembering from 50+ years ago says a lot about you. Sorry if me memory hurt your feelings.

• Love
Reactions: rupp876
Pretty sure this is what I have seen in the past on TV. Calling someone a liar based on something you are remembering from 50+ years ago says a lot about you. Sorry if me memory hurt your feelings.

LOL. That’s not the actual game, pal. That’s just some youtuber’s composite creation of what he thinks the game “might” have looked like. There is no video footage of the actual game ..a fact that is well known. Nobody knows what it looked like other than the few people who were actually there.

However, based on the descriptions I’ve read, it sounds like it was a bit of a farce. It was a late season game being played in Hershey, PA for some odd reason, with a very small crowd, barely any defense played …and with Philly intentionally fouling to stop the clock throughout the fourth quarter for no reason other than to try to get Wilt to 100.

Reactions: cathouse
In person----Artis Gilmore
On TV---Wilt Chamberlian
I was going to say the same. Only saw Wilt on TV. Just amazing.

I saw Artis Gilmore live. And also Moses Malone. Great players.

Just UK I saw Issel, I don’t know if he’s really a big?, Robey, Phillips, Bowie, AD, Cuz, KAT and Oscar.

I think pre injury Bowie might have been the best.

What about street legends, who never made the NBA?

I hear that guy who could jump high enough to reach the top of the backboard....

This guy was even mentioned by Kareem abdul Jabbar as one of the best ever.

What about street legends, who never made the NBA?

I hear that guy who could jump high enough to reach the top of the backboard....

This guy was even mentioned by Kareem abdul Jabbar as one of the best ever.
I think you’re talking about Earl “the Goat” Manigault. New York street legend who Kareem, Dr. J and other 70s NBA greats say was one of the.greatest players they ever played against. Never reached the pros because of heroin addiction and crime. I believe they even made a movie about his life.

Although I don’t think he was a big man, he was a guard who just happened to be able to outjump all the bigs.

Guys like Dr J and Moses Malone played their best years in the ABA. Dr. J was supposed to be ridiculous in his early years.

When I was 11 years old, my grandfather took me the Final Four in New Orleans in 1982. Jordan’s famous shot from the baseline to beat Georgetown. I guess you could say I saw two pretty good big men in Hakeem for Houston and Ewing for Georgetown. I am not sure there has ever been a final four with more NBA talent than what was on display between UL, Houston, UNC and Georgetown. Jordan, Worthy, Perkins, Ewing, Drexler, Hakeem, etc. .Phi Slamma Jamma for Houston, the doctors of dunk at Louisville. Heck of a final four.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT