ADVERTISEMENT

Who's the best big man you ever saw

Duncan was awfully good (5 rings). Don't remember many of the greats as didn't watch NBA growing up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fox2monk
I won’t get into a debate about who’s the best, but Hakeem was always my favorite center to watch. Maybe the best low post defender ever, masterful low post moves, incredible footwork inside, one of both the greatest ever rebounders and shot-blockers ever.

Watching Hakeem was like watching a master class on how the traditional center position should be played.

I recently saw an old Unc Virginia game at the gym. Ralph Sampson was a senior. He wasn't soft and was the best player on the floor. And UNC had Jordan.

I saw David Robinson score 40+ at Rupp in the 80s. Rob Locke guarded him…or tried to.

To this day, he’s the only opposing player I ever saw or heard of get a standing ovation in UK’s house. When he checked out of the game for the last time, we all stood and cheered. It helped, of course, that we won somewhat easily.

Someone who was alive during the age of Wilt please share a story here of how dominant he was.

Saw David Robinson at Rupp and it was simply a dominating performance.We shut everybody else down and still won easily but we had nobody that could guard him.Wes Unseld wasn't a typical tall center but damn could he play.
I've been reading the posts and some great players have been mentioned.

Wilt and Kareem. At UK, Davis and Bowie. Bowie was incredible and the best rebounder I've seen prior to his injuries.

In person, David Robinson vs. UK. Hakeem (fka Akeem) has always been my fave big man though. The drop steps and spin moves were just amazing.
My pick as well. He had the best footwork of possibly any player at any position.

Patrick always gets forgotten in these surveys.
Hated him at Georgetown, loved him with the Knicks.
Ewing had bad knees in the NBA. He lost some of his lift. I remember when Georgetown played UNC in the title game Thompson told Ewing to block the first 2 shots, even if it was goaltending. And he did.

Someone who was alive during the age of Wilt please share a story here of how dominant he was.
To be on a team in Wilts day said Bill Russell you has to be one of the best 96 or so players in the world. Now 400 and some. Wilt faced a quality player ever night. Now think of averaging 50 and 25. You couldn't stop him. I say him dominate Kareem when he was ready to retire. Say what you want. Stats don't lie and no one. None are close. An amazing Stat. You may not know. He never foulded out of a game. Unbelievable.

I saw David Robinson score 40+ at Rupp in the 80s. Rob Locke guarded him…or tried to.

To this day, he’s the only opposing player I ever saw or heard of get a standing ovation in UK’s house. When he checked out of the game for the last time, we all stood and cheered. It helped, of course, that we won somewhat easily.
I was at that game. He was incredible! We still won going away!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT