ADVERTISEMENT

Who's the 1st Wildcat player that you met, spoke to in person?

TopCatCal

Senior
Dec 10, 2012
Mine would be Kevin Grevey. In Oct. 1975 his Washington Bullets team was playing an exhibition game in Memorial Coliseum. Any how me & a couple friends of mine got to the game very early. So early the ticket window wasn't even open. So as we were walking back to our car, a black Cadillac pulled up & Kevin Grevey got out of the passenger side & started walking toward the coliseum as we were walking away. I spotted him & said to my friends that's Kevin Grevey. They said no it's not. As we got closer & we spoke to him & he spoke to us my buddies acknowledged that it was Kevin Grevey.When Grevey got to the coliseum & couldn't get in because the doors were still locked. One of my friends was a UofL fan said. That's the way UK treats their ex players. After they're through playing here, they won't even let them back in the building. UofL fans, bless their heart

Reactions: CatFanInIlliniLand
I met Jeff Sheppard and Wayne Turner as a kid. I might as well have met the president. I actually would’ve been less excited to meet the president. I was so star struck I was unable to speak. I was 8. They’re both still two of my favorites. I also met Chuck Hayes when I was in middle school at Pikeville JC Penny’s with practice legend Josh Carrier and Kelenna Azubuike. All of these guys were nice to a young kid but Hayes especially was, a real people person.

Mine would be Shelby Linville in 7th grade (1988). My Spanish teacher was out for the day and some old man was our substitute teacher (basically proctoring a study hall). My buddy was up front talking to him during class and he came back and said, "Did you know that guy played for Kentucky?" Smoke behind my heels going up to talk to him. Great guy. He was the second leading scorer on the 1951 National Championship team, scored the first points in the history of Alumni Coliseum and scored the winning basket in the 1951 national semifinals to put UK into the championship game. A great player that is rarely mentioned.

Jeff Shepherd and Anthony Epps - met them on Haggin Court in 93; promptly dunked on by Shep.

Met Nazr in Acc 201 - sat next to him. Took me to the lodge to meet the team after studying for exam, where I met and talked with entire 96 team

Talked a lot with Mel Turpin numerous times / RIP

Others I have talked with and met:
Ed Davender
Dale Brown
Mash
Jared Prickett
Jared (spacing on last name for some reason, tall goody kid from Kentucky that never played)
Sam Bowie
Hishimu
Allen Edwards
Antoine Walker - was at my apartment couple of times studying with my now wife for a class project
Cal
Rich Brooks

maybe some others

Outside of freedom hall when I was a kid the only wildcat I’ve met In person is Sam Bowie. Met him outside of freedom hall after we tagged the cards, me and my little cousin were waiting for my mom to pick us up and we were taunting UL fans as they exited the arena

Last edited:
I had a social work class with Chuck Hayes. He literally sat right next to me. Super super cool and down to earth dude.

Also had to do a group project and he was in my group. We went to the Pizza Hut right off Campus together. I was sorta star struck lol

not the first, but by far the longest....Carlos Toomer, he and a couple of other players would visit my fraternity occasionally...one night Toomer had a little too much to drink, he was very sad (some personal things) and we sat on my goodwill couch for a couch for a couple of hours in sad drunk/counseling conversation...blubbering drunk tears were shed...We never spoke about that night again

OT: I knew a lot of football players...I used to be a bouncer at Crystals. I always let them in with no wait and no cover...they were all really cool, nice and respectful and "had my back", I have a great story about Donnie Gardner; Carwell on the other hand was scary as hell, he was a mean dude. He was like a lion, you didn't look him in the "eye"

All were cool expect DJ Johnson...I would made him pay and wait (after the Happy comments). Actually, I had to call the PoPo on him once for not leaving after a female said he was "bothering" her....he would dress like Prince(RIP), it was hilarious

Last edited:
Jeff Shepherd and Anthony Epps - met them on Haggin Court in 93; promptly dunked on by Shep.

Met Nazr in Acc 201 - sat next to him. Took me to the lodge to meet the team after studying for exam, where I met and talked with entire 96 team

Talked a lot with Mel Turpin numerous times / RIP

Others I have talked with and met:
Ed Davender
Dale Brown
Mash
Jared Prickett
Jared (spacing on last name for some reason, tall goody kid from Kentucky that never played)
Sam Bowie
Hishimu
Allen Edwards
Antoine Walker - was at my apartment couple of times studying with my now wife for a class project
Cal
Rich Brooks

maybe some others

Jared Carter

Reactions: BlueWorldOrder74
Jamal Mashburn through a Joby Wright Miami of Ohio/IU connection. Had the chance to talk to several kids during Tubby Smiths tenure. First reported the Rashaad Carruth UK commitment watch after interviewing him here in Indy at the Nike All American camp for Insiders Report and since had chance interactions with Rondo and John Wall as well as several kids from last years team from the father/son camp last year.

Jamal Mashburn through a Joby Wright Miami of Ohio/IU connection. Had the chance to talk to several kids during Tubby Smiths tenure. First reported the Rashaad Carruth UK commitment watch after interviewing him here in Indy at the Nike All American camp for Insiders Report and since had chance interactions with Rondo and John Wall as well as several kids from last years team from the father/son camp last year.
Oh yeah forgot to mention I talked quite a bit with Darius Rice back in the day. I know he did t end up at UK but man what a crazy time!!!

Larry Johnson and I played pickup ball and I actually beat him in a game of horse. Met his roommate Dwayne Casey who thought I was a sharp dresser. Lol. Now I see Dwayne roaming the sidelines with his custom suits looking like a million dollars. The man always did have style.

Reactions: floatingyou
Dan Issel. Several times in the 70's when he played for the Kentucky Colonels. When he came to town to play the Virginia Squires in Hampton Coliseum, we would go to the game and wait outside the arena afterwards to get his autograph and talk.

Fred Cowan.
Same here...Freddy Cowan. Coincidentally, the second one I ever met in person was LaVon Williams at a McDonalds in 1984. (I think he played opposite Freddy as a forward a couple of years.)

At the open practice the day before the annual Notre Dame game in Freedom Hall. I want to say it was '80 or '81. Kelly Tripucka was the big name for ND at that time.

Reactions: BourbonBalz
Lil Louie..after he was in ABA. exhibition game at WKU. Dampier and Gamble were on the front row of bleachers before he dressed for warm-up.

Years later, Oliver Simmons at Opryland.

Met deron feldhaus in spring ‘92 at keeneland right after that game. very nice, personable.

Travis Ford in Owensboro several years back, Late 90s early 2000’s. I know everyone says he’s an a$$. He was nice to me for the two minute I talked to him for what it’s worth.

Reactions: LexCatnOhio
Winston Bennett would be the first to have a conversation with.

Ramsey came to a class in HS and talked with us for a bit.

I pretty much met the entire team when Ron Mercer played a game at Louisville Gardens. Mark Pope moreso than the others. My best friend had Pope sign the back of a homecoming pic he had as that was the only thing he could write on.

Last person I talked to directly tied to the program was Mr. Wildcat. My dad and I toured the new facility and had a picture taken with him with the NCAA championship trophy in front of us on display. Enjoyed every second and gave us a private tour. RIP

Reactions: wildcatwelder
Jason Parker. He dated some chick that lived across the hall from my girlfriend. We actually hung out a bunch, he was a fun guy. Jules used to come by as he dated my girlfriends roommate for a little while. Those were fun times back then.

Grew up in Olive Hill, Gayle Rose had a pharmacy and small store. I’d go in and eat hot dogs

I met Jeff Sheppard and Wayne Turner as a kid. I might as well have met the president. I actually would’ve been less excited to meet the president. I was so star struck I was unable to speak. I was 8. They’re both still two of my favorites. I also met Chuck Hayes when I was in middle school at Pikeville JC Penny’s with practice legend Josh Carrier and Kelenna Azubuike. All of these guys were nice to a young kid but Hayes especially was, a real people person.
Kenny walker, Leroy bird, roger harden.

I've been a UK fan all my life, but I haven't had many encounters with UK players until this past year, due to living out of state quite a bit.

Met Bobby Perry in a bar ahead of last year's Duke game in Indy. He almost seemed surprised for me to call out his name!

I saw Nick Richards at the downtown market on a Saturday in the summer. Looked like he was with his volleyball-playing girlfriend (her name?), so I let him be. I often wish I had said a quick hello, and let him know that there are plenty of fans supporting him whole-heartedly throughout his progression!

The coolest experience, by far, was at an event I was invited to through work at Dudley's a couple months ago. The event was upstairs, and I turn the corner to see none other than PJ Washington and his dad, Paul, standing there. It was a small room with maybe only 5-6 others standing there at the moment. The host said, "Let me introduce you... this is PJ Washington." I said, "I know who he is!" as I shook his hand. I got to talk with him and his dad for about 20 minutes. By the way, PJ said that Cal told him to tweet out that little video of him walking ahead of the Sweet 16 matchup! No wonder Cal was quick to retweet! He also said he knew about the rumors that he had kicked a locker causing his foot injury, but that it was false. Wasn't told what actually happened though, haha! It's funny, being 33 years old now, and being so pumped to meet 18-22 year olds!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT