ADVERTISEMENT

Who would you pick as the best player to ever play at Kentucky

Anthony Davis played one year at Kentucky. Dan Issel played a full college career at Kentucky and is still our all time leading scorer. You say Davis is the "correct" answer because he was recent and because he is an excellent pro now. But there is no reasonable question it was really Issel as things now stand.
No. I used facts. You’re saying Issel because he played three years but the question was who you would pick as the best player. I see that as one season. The question isn’t who had the best career at Kentucky. Then i think it would be Groza or maybe even Walter Hirsch. Issel wasn’t NPOY even once and didn’t win a single title.

Btw I literally explained the criteria I used in the original message lol. Had nothing to do with when he played and the point would stand even if he had been out of the NBA in two years.

Last edited:
KAT has not / will not accomplish near as much as AD in the NBA. AD is known as both an offensive and defensive star. KAT hasn't accomplished anything in the NBA. Big KAT fan, but he got abused in a series that he was suppose to dominate with PJ Washington guarding him.
KAT is one of the most overrated players in the NBA.

He’s basically a taller version of Antoine Walker.

Awful bball IQ, terrible shot selection, and commits more boneheaded fouls than anyone in the league.

Could be all world if he pulled his out of his a$$ but is mostly just downright infuriating to watch.

That’s your opinion and has absolutely no effect on the facts presented in my post or how the league brands and markets its title.
Actually it isn’t an opinion at all. In fact, NBA title winners aren't officially recognized as world title winners anywhere except in people’s minds. Sorry. What you posted is an opinion and what I posted is FACT.

The best player I've ever seen here in my lifetime is Jamal Mashburn. He was probably the most important player as well because we needed him at that time.

Actually it isn’t an opinion at all. In fact, NBA title winners aren't officially recognized as world title winners anywhere except in people’s minds. Sorry. What you posted is an opinion and what I posted is FACT.

Not only was it actually branded that by the league between 1950 and 1985 (meaning Hagan, Ramsey and Robey literally were) they’ve continued to call the winner of the finals that ever since.

Best players in the world = World Champion

Now take your anti-American cuckery somewhere else. Nobody cares that you’re angry about a professional league’s marketing and its widely adopted use.

Some have said that they didn’t think Issel could compete with modern players but I disagree. To do what he did without all of the modern advantages of training, nutrition, rehab and medical that modern players have is incredible. Also, the most important things that Issel had over present players is heart and a drive to succeed. He was just plain tough.

Some have said that they didn’t think Issel could compete with modern players but I disagree. To do what he did without all of the modern advantages of training, nutrition, rehab and medical that modern players have is incredible. Also, the most important things that Issel had over present players is heart and a drive to succeed. He was just plain tough.
Also, basketball is relatively young game and players learn from those before them. For anybody to think somebody like Issel would have the exact same game if he came along today is very narrow minded. If Issel came along today he'd have more muscles, more ball handling ability, and longer shooting range. Smart players didn't practice shooting from 24 feet when it was worth 2 points; then it was a bad shot that would just get the shooter a spot on the bench.

Last edited:
Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
since is summer, her is another article about how great Alex Groza was.

It’s crazy what numbers he was putting in his first two and only years in NBA especially during those times. The comparison of his potential to be on par if not greater than George Mikan, shows how great Groza was.

It’s crazy what numbers he was putting in his first two and only years in NBA especially during those times. The comparison of his potential to be on par if not greater than George Mikan, shows how great Groza was.
I can't look it up right now but I believe Groza averaged 15 or 19 points one year in college when teams rarely scored over 40. That would probably translate to 30+ points in modern ball.

Reactions: AJG-15
So many talented people have played for UK.

You just can't answer it and have one answer.

I can't look it up right now but I believe Groza averaged 15 or 19 points one year in college when teams rarely scored over 40. That would probably translate to 30+ points in modern ball.
In 1949, Groza’s senior season, the Wildcats went 32-2 and again captured the national title. Without the services of Rollins, who had graduated, Groza stepped up his performance dramatically that season averaging 20.5 points and upped that impressive number to 27 during the NCAA tournament. He was named the Final Four’s Most Outstanding Player for the second consecutive season.

The Olympians of Groza and Beard played the Lakers of George Mikan:

In Game 1, Minneapolis throttled the Olympians 95 to 81. Groza scored a “measly” 19 points. For Game 2, Alex struck back with a fury. He pasted the Lakers for 40 points as Indianapolis ran away with the game 108-88. Opposing center George Mikan, battling through a leg injury, managed just 2 points. For the deciding Game 3, Groza again came up huge with 38 points. Mikan, however, returned to form with 30 and the Lakers edged out the Olympians 85 to 80. That was the last basketball game Groza played in the NBA.

The Olympians of Groza and Beard played the Lakers of George Mikan:

In Game 1, Minneapolis throttled the Olympians 95 to 81. Groza scored a “measly” 19 points. For Game 2, Alex struck back with a fury. He pasted the Lakers for 40 points as Indianapolis ran away with the game 108-88. Opposing center George Mikan, battling through a leg injury, managed just 2 points. For the deciding Game 3, Groza again came up huge with 38 points. Mikan, however, returned to form with 30 and the Lakers edged out the Olympians 85 to 80. That was the last basketball game Groza played in the NBA.
OP

Issel. Big Dan was as Kentucky as a college basketball player ever gets. I hate it that they were out coached in the NCAA finals but we have to admit Rupp was simply out coached by Haskins. That one game served as the most important game of all time. As for Big Dan, I remember the epic wars with LSU and the pistol. I loved those days. I loved Pistol Pete but more importantly I believed in Issel and there wasn’t any other player in college basketball, at that time, that did more for his team. At 6’8” he was a beast.

Thanks for sharing this. I knew little of Groza's career at UK and nothing of his pro years

Reactions: AJG-15
John Wall and Jamal Mashburn were the two most talented players we ever had at Kentucky. Watch tape of the way those guys move, either here or in the NBA, compared to anyone else at all. It’s like watching panthers vs. horses (both allusions intentional). I respect other people’s choices of other guys who had more size advantages. But for me it’s that pure unalloyed talent that really gets my blood pumping. I give Mash the edge because he had the outside shot as well, plus a ridiculous amount of strength on top of it all.
I have been following since 1959. Love those guys but you are way off base.

Reactions: KFuqua
If you wanna answer it less as an opinion and more based on what the “correct” answer is, I think it probably has to be one of the players who won NPOY. It’s hard to say you’re the best player in program history if you weren’t even recognized as the best player in college while you were there (Sorry, Issel). Saying this, we have only had five NPOYs at Kentucky. Two of them were in the 30s and I think it’s fair to say that college basketball players are more skilled and athletically gifted now than they were then. That rules Forest Sale and LeRoy Edwards out. You’re left with John Wall, Anthony Davis and Oscar Tshiebwe . Davis not only nabbed the most awards in his year — he also led his team to a national championship.

The “correct” answer: Anthony Davis
The “fun” personal answer: Alex Groza
lol. Dear Lord. Did u ever see Issel play. Davis was only there for one year. Oscar and Wall don’t even merit honorable mention.

How many facts can you get wrong here?
FYI Nba had a 3 point line for 6 years of his career
When Isse was between the age of 31 to 37.
I know the average life expectancy was 51, but he should demonstrate some ability.
He shot like 20 percent.
And the ABA also had a 3 point shot at the beginning of his career.
Between the age of 22 and 27 where he shot like 15 percent.
And you can give me all the excuses he was bad at it.
But the result is he wasn't good at it.

Wilt and Kareem were over 7 feet tall. That translates.

Issell was 6-8. In 1970, that meant something. And he probably could shot from 17 feet out and it blew everyone's mind. All those 6-4 doughy power forwards waddling out that far to guard him, he probably had all the time in the world. No one could see it on tv, so those at the game were probably telling everyone at home he was shooting it from the logo.

He dominated his time before young people worked hard and were disciplined and pushed themselves to be good at what they do. He should be commended. Depending on your definition you could argue he was the best player at Kentucky. But again, you teleport that kid in to a game today, and he would be on the bench.
That is not what the thread is about. We are not transporting players. It’s the best player, period. That would be Dan Issel.

Piss off, Don. You're not even sharp enough to understand that your opinions are only opinions. Keep them to yourself if you can't play nice about them.
You piss off. You are just a kid. You can’t compare these guys to Dan because you never saw him play. I have seen them all and he is hands down the best. Grow up. Yes it’s my opinion but it’s also 1000’s of other uk fans opinion too. His records speak for themselves.

lol. Dear Lord. Did u ever see Issel play. Davis was only there for one year. Oscar and Wall don’t even merit honorable mention.
No. But I trust that Dan Issel wasn’t the best player in college basketball in 69 or 70. That was Pistol Pete according to a lot of people who were not Kentucky fans. As fans, we are biased. Issel has excellent stats and deserves respect as a legend but he didn’t win NPOY once, didn’t win a single title and didn’t even make a single Final Four. To me, those things matter. If they don’t to you, I understand.

No. But I trust that Dan Issel wasn’t the best player in college basketball in 69 or 70. That was Pistol Pete according to a lot of people who were not Kentucky fans. As fans, we are biased. Issel has excellent stats and deserves respect as a legend but he didn’t win NPOY once, didn’t win a single title and didn’t even make a single Final Four. To me, those things matter. If they don’t to you, I understand.
We are talking about the best player in UK history. Pete went to LSU and I loved him. He was fabulous and was the best in college basketball. Dan was UK’s best ever.

• Love
For me, it’s Issel and yes, I saw him play. His 27K points and 11K rebounds over his pro career speaks volumes to the player he was. Maravich was more entertaining, but not the player Issel was.

We are talking about the best player in UK history. Pete went to LSU and I loved him. He was fabulous and was the best in college basketball. Dan was UK’s best ever.
No disrespect but to be the “greatest” in any sport, whether it’s NBA or NCAA, I think it’s fair to say winning is what matters most. Many will start and end with stats to say LeBron, for example, is better than Jordan. I try to remain consistent that MJ is the greater player because winning matters more. Same logic here. I can’t say Issel without a Final Four. 33 points per game is eye popping, jaw dropping, etc but he had good teammates like Pratt, Steele and Casey. Still never in the three years made a Final Four. Will apply the same standards to anyone in this conversation from now on. It’s fair to use objective awards rather than simply comparing stats. That’s why, to me, I witnessed Jodie Meeks be a weapon — he’s still not greater, to me, than a Tony Delk.

Pistol Pete was maybe the most spectacular offensive player I've ever seen but if I was choosing between him and Issel to start a team I'd pick Big Dan. Pete didn't play a lot of defense.

How many facts can you get wrong here?
FYI Nba had a 3 point line for 6 years of his career
When Isse was between the age of 31 to 37.
I know the average life expectancy was 51, but he should demonstrate some ability.
He shot like 20 percent.
And the ABA also had a 3 point shot at the beginning of his career.
Between the age of 22 and 27 where he shot like 15 percent.
And you can give me all the excuses he was bad at it.
But the result is he wasn't good at it.

Wilt and Kareem were over 7 feet tall. That translates.

Issell was 6-8. In 1970, that meant something. And he probably could shot from 17 feet out and it blew everyone's mind. All those 6-4 doughy power forwards waddling out that far to guard him, he probably had all the time in the world. No one could see it on tv, so those at the game were probably telling everyone at home he was shooting it from the logo.

He dominated his time before young people worked hard and were disciplined and pushed themselves to be good at what they do. He should be commended. Depending on your definition you could argue he was the best player at Kentucky. But again, you teleport that kid in to a game today, and he would be on the bench.
Anybody that says that Dan Issel wouldn't be a star today is just showing how basketball ignorant that they are. If you don't believe that Issel would be a star today. Then I suggest that you ask Kareem Abdul-Jabbar arguably the greatest big man to ever play the game about how great that Issel was. Jabbar has said that he hated playing against Dan Issel more that any center that he ever played against..... NUFF SAID!!!

The best I’ve ever seen was Anthony Davis. By a mile.

The best player I ever heard of from those in my circles that they did see was Goose.

Neither me nor those in my circles saw Dan Issel play. Neither of my parents were even teenagers when he played at UK and neither of them had a tv. Also, neither of them became UK fans until they attended UK since none of my grandparents even went to college.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT