ADVERTISEMENT

Who would you pick as the best player to ever play at Kentucky

What do you mean technically ? he won one. You either did or you didn't. No technically.

It was the Disney bubble-ship 3 months after the season was suspended by Covid. It counts, technically. It wasn’t like any other NBA finals ever and had more to do with giving Lebron a post-Floyd championship than anything.

It was the Disney bubble-ship 3 months after the season was suspended by Covid. It counts, technically. It wasn’t like any other NBA finals ever and had more to do with giving Lebron a post-Floyd championship than anything.
Did all of the other teams not have a chance to win it ? Look, I get it, Covid, blah blah blah, BUT, they had the same hurdles to overcome as all the other teams. That Laker team was actually pretty damn good. Not like they was scrubs and was gifted the title. Was the #1 eed and beat Denver and a really stout Miami team.

Last edited:
Have to disagree.
Best single game is Bill Spivey’s performance against Xavier on Feb 13, 1951

40 points, 34 rebounds
sddefault.jpg

The game basketball changed and the players are more athletic, skilled and have more media exposure. UK was blessed with many many great players.

In my mind , if you look at the accomplishments, there is only one choice: The number 15 at Kentucky who:

- was the captain and center of the fabulous five
- won two ncaa championships 1948 and 1949
- won gold medal leading the US 1948 Olympic team on scoring
-was three-time All-American and All-SEC,
-was two-time NCAA Final Four Most Outstanding Player
- got selected with 2nd overall pick in BAA by Indianapolis Olympians
- averaged 23.4 points per game in his rookie season and was named NBA Rookie of the Year
- was selected as NBA All-Star (1951)
- was 2× All-NBA First Team (1950, 1951)

Yes, I am bias , but my number one Kentucky player is Alex John Groza.

Reactions: littlecreek
If he and other UK players would not been involved and also targeted for the shaving points scandal and the ban from nba , I think Groza would have been a nba legend and also a very rich man since he other players were owners of the Olympians.

Still in my books he was the player that brought most glory to Kentucky.

John Wall and Jamal Mashburn were the two most talented players we ever had at Kentucky. Watch tape of the way those guys move, either here or in the NBA, compared to anyone else at all. It’s like watching panthers vs. horses (both allusions intentional). I respect other people’s choices of other guys who had more size advantages. But for me it’s that pure unalloyed talent that really gets my blood pumping. I give Mash the edge because he had the outside shot as well, plus a ridiculous amount of strength on top of it all.

Last edited:
Reactions: AJG-15
Louie Dampier was a pure shooter Pat Riley, was also a great UK player We certainly have had a lot of Great players

Reactions: yes_takeaside
Don't forget this little nugget: Cotton Nash is one of very few to play in two professional leagues, NBA and MLB. Just a handful.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
The game basketball changed and the players are more athletic, skilled and have more media exposure. UK was blessed with many many great players.

In my mind , if you look at the accomplishments, there is only one choice: The number 15 at Kentucky who:

- was the captain and center of the fabulous five
- won two ncaa championships 1948 and 1949
- won gold medal leading the US 1948 Olympic team on scoring
-was three-time All-American and All-SEC,
-was two-time NCAA Final Four Most Outstanding Player
- got selected with 2nd overall pick in BAA by Indianapolis Olympians
- averaged 23.4 points per game in his rookie season and was named NBA Rookie of the Year
- was selected as NBA All-Star (1951)
- was 2× All-NBA First Team (1950, 1951)

Yes, I am bias , but my number one Kentucky player is Alex John Groza.
He was before my time but my dad always talked about him and Beard. If it weren't for the so-called scandal he would have been considered one of the best ever to play, period.

Reactions: AJG-15
My personal favorite was Kevin Grevey. But all time best was Dan Issel and Anthony Davis
Very FIRST player Ole catsfanbgky remembers cheering for. Born in 69 so, was a youngin when I watched Grevey. Baller. Now all time, he is not my favorite.

Favs :
Kyle Macy
Dirk Minniefield
Kenny Walker
Jamal Mashburn
Tayshaun Prince (shocked he has not been mentioned)
Patrick Patterson
John Wall
DeAaron Fox
Malik Monk

Favorites / played against in high school :
Rex Chapman (a lot of people hate him, but from talent standpoint and for UK)
Travis Ford (played against in Jr. Pro / middle school, with in high school)

Issel also had the best pro career of any former UK player to date. I think he would have been the second or third leading scorer in pro basketball (NBA/ABA combined) history when he retired. He would rank #11 right now on the NBA all-time scoring list with 27,482. But Dr. J and Moses would also move up if ABA stats were included.

Last edited:
Hagan gotta be up there close.

1. A sophomore backup on Kentucky’s 1951 national champions, Cliff Hagan came into his own as a junior. He averaged 21.6 and 24 points per game in his last two seasons, with the latter average (a Wildcats record at the time) tying for third-best in school history.
    At 6’4”, Hagan was a center for Kentucky, averaging 13.4 rebounds per game for his career.
    Hagan put up impressive numbers in the NBA as well, averaging 20 points or better in four straight seasons and double-digit rebounds in three. A six-time All-Star and one-time NBA champ, Hagan spent the great majority of his Hall of Fame career with the Hawks.
Agree. One of nation's best college basketball players for his era. Amazing player.

Unfortunately, Cliff Hagan, either as a player or athletic director, was also involved in 4 of 6 major NCAA major rules infractions committed by UK.

Dan Issel or Jamal Mashburn = my picks.

Just based on SEC and NCAA play, not NBA.

Best point guard: Macy

Best shooting guard: Delk

Best shooting forward: Riley

Best power forward: Mashburn

Best baseline player: Issel

Best 6th man: Lee

The first five were AAs. KAT and AD were AAs and could easily be considered best baseline player. Different eras. There have been lots of great Wildcat stars.

Based only on NBA play.

Best point guard: Rondo

Best shooting guard: Booker

Best shooting forward: Prince

Best power forward: Issel

Best baseline player: AD

Best 6th man: Ramsey

He was before my time but my dad always talked about him and Beard. If it weren't for the so-called scandal he would have been considered one of the best ever to play, period.
ESPN classic:

Kentucky became a national power in the 1940s. From 1943 to 1954, Rupp's teams won 10 SEC titles, three NCAAs and one NIT. The "Fabulous Five" team won NCAA championships in 1948. The five starters - three-time All-American Ralph Beard, Groza, "Wah Wah" Jones, Cliff Barker and Kenny Rollins - also played on the gold-medal-winning 1948 U.S. Olympic team.

The Wildcats used their superior rebounding to rout Baylor 58-42 in the 1948 NCAA final in New York. "They got the ball every time we shot and missed," said Baylor coach Bill Henderson.

A year later in Seattle, Groza scored 25 points as No. 1 Kentucky - with four of the Fabulous Five still on the team - defeated No. 2 Oklahoma A&M 46-36 for its second title. Rupp danced on the sideline afterward, and 25,000 greeted the team in Lexington on "Wildcat Appreciation Day."

My argument for Mashburn:

If you could only have one player and then clone him to play all five positions, who would be the best team?

Mash.

PG Mashburn was one of the first “Point Forwards” I can remember. He could handle the ball and bring it up the floor and pass.

SG Mashburn could shoot the ball as well as most shooting guards.

SF This was Mashburn’s NBA position.

PF This was Mashburn’s college position.

C At 6’8, 240 lbs. in college, Mashburn could bang down low. In fact, while at UK, Mash was the biggest, strongest player the Cats had.

No one else in UK history could dribble, shoot, pass, rebound, post up, and shoot the midrange jumper like Mashburn. His defense wasn’t terrible either.

Mashburn could play the 1-5 spots. He is the most versatile player in UK history, IMHO.

Look at his scoring, rebounds, assists, shooting percentages, etc. to support my argument.

I’d take a team full of Mashburn’s over a squad of most other team’s best player. Might go with Magic Johnson at Michigan St. or Larry Bird at Indiana St., but how many other teams had their best player ever that could play all five spots?

Not many.

Reactions: Samurai Cat
If you wanna answer it less as an opinion and more based on what the “correct” answer is, I think it probably has to be one of the players who won NPOY. It’s hard to say you’re the best player in program history if you weren’t even recognized as the best player in college while you were there (Sorry, Issel). Saying this, we have only had five NPOYs at Kentucky. Two of them were in the 30s and I think it’s fair to say that college basketball players are more skilled and athletically gifted now than they were then. That rules Forest Sale and LeRoy Edwards out. You’re left with John Wall, Anthony Davis and Oscar Tshiebwe . Davis not only nabbed the most awards in his year — he also led his team to a national championship.

The “correct” answer: Anthony Davis
The “fun” personal answer: Alex Groza

• Haha
Reactions: KFuqua and AJG-15
This argument is between AD and Issel. I lean AD because had he played a traditional pre one and done career at UK this wouldn't even be an argument.

AD in the NBA, in what would have been his senior year, was averaging 24 points, 10 rebounds, 3 blocks, 2 steals and 2 assists a game. He would have just destroyed college competition.

Are you serious? He had a Hall of Fame professional career and there was no 3 point shot in when Issel played at UK and his best professional years were behind him when the NBA adopted the 3 point shot. If you're not joking it's possibly the worst basketball take I've ever read on this board. Just FYI the NBA adopted the 3 point shot in Issel's next to last season when he was 37 years old and the NBA 3 point line is almost 24 feet from the basket. When it was worth only two points players with a lick of sense did not practice from that range, since if it wasn't to beat the clock it was just a bad shot when it counted for 2 points and almost any coach in the world would bench any player for shooting from that distance. That's why even Larry Bird wasn't a good 3 point shooter when he came into the NBA the first couple years.

And finally, if you think Issel would be a scrub today because he played in 1970 that logic would lead you to believe that Kareem and Wilt also couldn't play in the modern game since they came along before Issel...so are you sure you don't want to just delete that post?
How many facts can you get wrong here?
FYI Nba had a 3 point line for 6 years of his career
When Isse was between the age of 31 to 37.
I know the average life expectancy was 51, but he should demonstrate some ability.
He shot like 20 percent.
And the ABA also had a 3 point shot at the beginning of his career.
Between the age of 22 and 27 where he shot like 15 percent.
And you can give me all the excuses he was bad at it.
But the result is he wasn't good at it.

Wilt and Kareem were over 7 feet tall. That translates.

Issell was 6-8. In 1970, that meant something. And he probably could shot from 17 feet out and it blew everyone's mind. All those 6-4 doughy power forwards waddling out that far to guard him, he probably had all the time in the world. No one could see it on tv, so those at the game were probably telling everyone at home he was shooting it from the logo.

He dominated his time before young people worked hard and were disciplined and pushed themselves to be good at what they do. He should be commended. Depending on your definition you could argue he was the best player at Kentucky. But again, you teleport that kid in to a game today, and he would be on the bench.

Reactions: ORCAT10
Best one year player: AD. He accomplished more in 1 season than most college players at UK did in 3 or 4.
Best 2 year player: give me Antoine Walker. You also had Mercer with 2 final fours and a title in 2 seasons. Doron Lamb had a great 2 year run as well.
Best 3 year player: ill go Issel, purely based on his stats. Never made a final four or won a title though. His stats are just too good to leave off. Mashburn is another that comes to mind.
Best 4 year player: Tony Delk. 2 final fours and a title. Goose also there. Kenny Walker.

Clearly I favor titles and final fours with Issels amazing stats being the one outlier.

It's impossible to pick one guy. Uk fans say they only care about titles but I bet gun to head most pick Issel here but he didn't even make a final four in 3 seasons.

The only selection I'm sure of is AD. He won everything and did everything in 1 season.

How many facts can you get wrong here?
FYI Nba had a 3 point line for 6 years of his career
When Isse was between the age of 31 to 37.
I know the average life expectancy was 51, but he should demonstrate some ability.
He shot like 20 percent.
And the ABA also had a 3 point shot at the beginning of his career.
Between the age of 22 and 27 where he shot like 15 percent.
And you can give me all the excuses he was bad at it.
But the result is he wasn't good at it.

Wilt and Kareem were over 7 feet tall. That translates.

Issell was 6-8. In 1970, that meant something. And he probably could shot from 17 feet out and it blew everyone's mind. All those 6-4 doughy power forwards waddling out that far to guard him, he probably had all the time in the world. No one could see it on tv, so those at the game were probably telling everyone at home he was shooting it from the logo.

He dominated his time before young people worked hard and were disciplined and pushed themselves to be good at what they do. He should be commended. Depending on your definition you could argue he was the best player at Kentucky. But again, you teleport that kid in to a game today, and he would be on the bench.
I might have misremembered a historical fact or two but there is one thing I'll never be; I'll never be the guy that said, and was completely serious, that if Dan Issel played today he'd be a backup to Amari Williams. That will always be you and I'll bet you money nobody will say that's a smart take.

Correct. Scoring leader in 3 years. Next question.
I thought I was correct until the gentleman earlier in the thread informed me that Issel couldn't beat out Amari Williams if he played today. He had stats to back up his argument but I wasn't quite convinced.

All in fun. Who is your pick
Dan Issel or Anthony Davis. If it wasn't for a point shaving scandal that Bill Spivey was never implicated in but still costed him his basketball career. The maybe if not probably 7'0" Bill Spivey would have been our greatest player ever. Joe B Hall said that he heard people say that if Spivey would have been allowed to have his NBA career that he would be considered as one of the 5 greatest centers to ever play the game.

If you wanna answer it less as an opinion and more based on what the “correct” answer is, I think it probably has to be one of the players who won NPOY. It’s hard to say you’re the best player in program history if you weren’t even recognized as the best player in college while you were there (Sorry, Issel). Saying this, we have only had five NPOYs at Kentucky. Two of them were in the 30s and I think it’s fair to say that college basketball players are more skilled and athletically gifted now than they were then. That rules Forest Sale and LeRoy Edwards out. You’re left with John Wall, Anthony Davis and Oscar Tshiebwe . Davis not only nabbed the most awards in his year — he also led his team to a national championship.

The “correct” answer: Anthony Davis
The “fun” personal answer: Alex Groza
Anthony Davis played one year at Kentucky. Dan Issel played a full college career at Kentucky and is still our all time leading scorer. You say Davis is the "correct" answer because he was recent and because he is an excellent pro now. But there is no reasonable question it was really Issel as things now stand.

I thought I was correct until the gentleman earlier in the thread informed me that Issel couldn't beat out Amari Williams if he played today. He had stats to back up his argument but I wasn't quite convinced.
Let's see if Amari Williams can score 2000 pts in 3 years.

Reactions: ukfan1622
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT