ADVERTISEMENT

Who will be the next UK baseball coach ???

Next UK baseball coach will be....

• Andrew Checketts

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Greg Lovelady

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Greg Goff

Votes: 9 21.4%
  • Someone else

Votes: 20 47.6%

• Total voters
Hummm I will take a shot. I think, and this is strictly a guess, what with previous ties to UK, I will say Greg Goff from Louisiana Tech.

If Barnhart wants Checketts then I see no reason that it wouldn't be him. Checketts barely gets paid anything, so the lure of the SEC and the pay upgrade would make it extremely hard for him to turn down. Now, it is possible that Checketts goes elsewhere, but I don't think that he will just unilaterally turn us down and stay at UCSB.

I'm sure that it will be Checketts if he beats UL this weekend. Our admin has a tendency to hire people who prove that they can beat UL (e.g. Gillespie).

I'm sure that it will be Checketts if he beats UL this weekend. Our admin has a tendency to hire people who prove that they can beat UL (e.g. Gillespie).
Don't think UCSB will beat Louisville, however Coach Checketts could very well end up at UK. He is in the Super Regional, something we have never been to. He would be a popular choice, but so probably would G Lovelady and G Goff.

Don't think UCSB will beat Louisville, however Coach Checketts could very well end up at UK. He is in the Super Regional, something we have never been to. He would be a popular choice, but so probably would G Lovelady and G Goff.
Give me any of the three and the dirt on the new stadium being turned over next month and I'm good...retired now, live in Louisville and I might buy season tickets

I'm actually going to go with Greg Goff. I have no particular reason other than its a gut feeling.

This probably a long shot, but I would like to see UK bring in someone with close ties to UK and has been in the pro's for a few years. The Pro (experience)connections could get recruits and solid assistant coaches. A plus would be for him to come back and coach his sons. John Shelby would be my choice to coach, I think is currently a coach in the Rockies Organization.

This probably a long shot, but I would like to see UK bring in someone with close ties to UK and has been in the pro's for a few years. The Pro (experience)connections could get recruits and solid assistant coaches. A plus would be for him to come back and coach his sons. John Shelby would be my choice to coach, I think is currently a coach in the Rockies Organization.
John certainly knows baseball, I don't think he has a college degree, not sure he must have one or not. He went 1 year to a junior college before going to pro ball. He is currently a coach at the AAA affiliate of the Colorado Rockies. He has had 2 sons play College ball, and may have another next year.

One name that hasn't been mentioned is Travis Jewett out of Vandy.

Most people have moved away from the idea of hiring an assistant coach as our coach. I don't know why they have moved away from that, but it seems as though everyone (at least on here) has focused largely on the idea of only hiring a current head coach.

Thee one thing about Murphy is he does have some baggage. He was forced out at ASU but was ultimately cleared. He is an older coach but has been successful everywhere he's been.

Doing some research on Pat Murphy, this guy has won over 900 games. Won over 300 at Notre Dame and won over 600 at Ariz. State. He will be 58 in November, but coach at Texas was still coaching well into his 70's.
This fellow may be one to keep an eye on, he had a little trouble at ASU, but was cleared by the NCAA of any wrong doings. He coached Dustin Pedroia at ASU and made 4 trips to the CWS with the Sun Devils !!

Anyone have any further insight on just why he was investigated at ASU? I read his wiki page, but what exactly does, "student-athlete employment and recruiting" entail?

Jamey Shouppe would be an incredible hire as well. He was the Pitching coach at Florida State for 21 years, has coach USA Baseball and has turned around a program now that has never had success with little to no resources. He recruits at a high level and is well respected in the coaching and recruiting circles. He has the #19 first baseman in the nation coming in this year as well. Took Florida A&M to their first Regional in program history and led them to just their 3rd 30+ win season. It's amazing what he's done with nothing. He had 10 ACC ERA titles at FSU, coached 63 pitchers that were drafted, including 6 1st Rounders, 26 1st Team All-Americans and went to 9 College World Series.

Jamey Shouppe would be an incredible hire as well. He was the Pitching coach at Florida State for 21 years, has coach USA Baseball and has turned around a program now that has never had success with little to no resources. He recruits at a high level and is well respected in the coaching and recruiting circles. He has the #19 first baseman in the nation coming in this year as well. Took Florida A&M to their first Regional in program history and led them to just their 3rd 30+ win season. It's amazing what he's done with nothing. He had 10 ACC ERA titles at FSU, coached 63 pitchers that were drafted, including 6 1st Rounders, 26 1st Team All-Americans and went to 9 College World Series.

I think he is a good candidate, but when I looked at a lot of his resume it seemed like he hasn't left the state of Florida. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it may be where he would prefer to stay. I don't know that for sure, but if I am Barnhart I would at least give the guy a call and see if he is interested.

Reactions: AgesBlue
After researching him I am drinking the Pat Murphy kool-aid. He is a big time winner at 2 power 5 programs, and has many regional appearances, as well as 4 CWS trips with ASU.
If hired he is now 57 years old, not a problem, Rich Brooks was 62 when hired as our Football coach, and he turned UK football around. Murphy could well coach 10-12 more years , especially if he is successful.

Anyone have any further insight on just why he was investigated at ASU? I read his wiki page, but what exactly does, "student-athlete employment and recruiting" entail?

My bet is something with easy jobs players got paid to do. Stuff like $200 to wash one car at a dealership.

^^ yep. Could very well be that. Just an interesting thing to come down on someone for unless they are getting a lot of money.

Anyone have info on a timetable for a hire? I worry that the longer it takes the less our chances to convince some of these draftees to return and/or signees to be on campus.

I like that kind of talk, Derek would you agree that after today the list of potential coaches just went down by one??
If you're referring to Checketts, then yes I would say so. UK can't wait until after the College World Series to put a coach in place. With several of the current commitments probably on the fence on whether to sign a pro deal or go to school, UK needs a coach to sway them to Lexington.

I don't think that's a good reason to wait. Tell the commits who you are going after and if they want to wait to see then fine. If not then they likely weren't coming here anyway

If you're referring to Checketts, then yes I would say so. UK can't wait until after the College World Series to put a coach in place. With several of the current commitments probably on the fence on whether to sign a pro deal or go to school, UK needs a coach to sway them to Lexington.

Normally I would say that's a bad reason to wait. But he seems like a long shot to wait for. Not sure Kentucky could lure him away from Cal Santa Barbara to begin with. He is a West coast guy. That stadium isn't built yet. And the guy is going to be looking for a big job back before it's is completed.

Maybe Mississippi State will let us have John Cohen back.

If its Checketts then you wait. Who cares what a recruit might do. Starts with the head coach

I think you could wait on Checketts if you 100 percent sure you knew he would take the job. I doubt that's the case, even more so now with him taking UCSB to the College World Series. My guess is Mitch has his guy picked out and will announce it early this week. That's just my opinion though, nothing from sources.

Reactions: Black Diamond Cat
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT