ADVERTISEMENT

Who thinks this tournament will be just like last year's?

I’m typically kind of pessimistic but I’m going to go out of my comfort zone and say if we can get out of the first weekend as a 4 seed, we beat our 1 seed. This team plays its best basketball against the best teams it seems.

Reactions: Fox2monk
I’m typically kind of pessimistic but I’m going to go out of my comfort zone and say if we can get out of the first weekend as a 4 seed, we beat our 1 seed. This team plays its best basketball against the best teams it seems.
That is true at least but I just don’t trust Cal to actually win even if we play well against a great team. He will get tight when it matters and we will fall short because of it.

There will be a lot of “I can’t believe they lost” a few teams in the Eilte 8 we didn’t expect. In the end I expect one of the teams who was great all year to win though. Probably UCONN yet again. Houston looked vulnerable today.
I’m hoping for anyone except Duke, UNC, KU or UCONN. I’m fine if Purdue finally gets one or even Houston. When UK is knocked out I’m cheering for teams to get their first or second title, not getting closer to us.

Part of me is kind of worried the committee might really try to screw us over and give us a 5 vs St Johns, NC State or someone like Seton Hall. We seem to struggle more against middle of the road type teams this year for some reason.

I’m listening to the KSR recap of last night. T A&M has scored over 90 twice all year. Both against us. 360th in the NCAA in 3 point %. We allowed 13 3’s I believe. Maybe it was 12 but regardless. Think about that when looking at matchups. All I got.

UK will put up 115 points in round one win by 25. The board will make tons of threads predicting a final 4 run.
Round 2. Some random team with a third of the talent will play bully ball and the Cats will back down and get punked.
Presser Cal will say they had a great year. Do you people realize I had two 2 TWO 2 TWO Lottery picks coming off the bench?
That's how talented we are. But it's hard. We are young. They are not robots.
Then he will say how he is looking forward to little house and petting his dog and the NBA Draft. You people are crazy. I'm going home till June.
Took the words out of my mouth.

Reactions: ZenCatFan73
Well last year we lost and everyone said it was because in the tournament you have to have good guard play and score a lot of points. So all of y’all that said that better mount up!

I just can’t see this team getting past the Sweet Sixteen, especially if we are a 4 seed.

UK will put up 115 points in round one win by 25. The board will make tons of threads predicting a final 4 run.
Round 2. Some random team with a third of the talent will play bully ball and the Cats will back down and get punked.
Presser Cal will say they had a great year. Do you people realize I had two 2 TWO 2 TWO Lottery picks coming off the bench?
That's how talented we are. But it's hard. We are young. They are not robots.
Then he will say how he is looking forward to little house and petting his dog and the NBA Draft. You people are crazy. I'm going home till June.
THIS.

Nope we ball this year. Watch.
Nope. It's over.
giphy.gif

I feel like as fans we're kinda playing with house money. If we lose the first weekend that should finally be enough to make boosters ease Cal out the door. I believe they would actually find a way in that case.

And if we don't lose the first weekend,

Then at least we didn't lose the first weekend!

Very similar. We lose in the 2nd or 3rd round.

All it takes is for a coach to scout us for a few minutes and work on high ball screens.

If the defense does not play better it’s not going to end well. You can’t just rely on outscoring opponents. Sometimes the shots aren’t falling and you have to D up.

It's all about matchups and if cal continues to allow 8 point deficits at the beginning of each half.

If we play two crafty guards getting the whistle, we're done. Cal won't change ball screen coverage so it will be a&m all over again.

We win the first one, then lights out. Cal will have these guys so uptight, they won’t be able to hit the broadside of a barn in a close game.
The 2012 team had the ability to block out CCC, they played like they wanted to and got the job done.

At this point I have no idea how this team will respond in the tournament but I do know we're a much better team than last year.

It's all about matchups now and how we respond mentally.
Its about match-ups and in-game adjustments.... not very hopeful about the adjustments part....

I expect the good teams are gonna make the final four. There will be upsets, but the 1-3 seeds will all make the final four
I think at best two 1-3 seeds make it. Look at how many projected 1-3 seeds lost in coference tournament. Thats only 3 wins needed not 6. Time will tell but I see a ton of upsets. 2-3 of the top 3 seed lines lose in first round IMO and only 7-8 make it out of the first weekend.

I think there are a bunch of really competitive kids on this team. The coach only needs to play the right ones the majority of the minutes together, sit his ass on the bench, and they’re dangerous. But that’s the problem. The same starting lineup will be rolled out there and dig a hole that the team will be fighting back from the rest of the day.

I think at best two 1-3 seeds make it. Look at how many projected 1-3 seeds lost in coference tournament. Thats only 3 wins needed not 6. Time will tell but I see a ton of upsets. 2-3 of the top 3 seed lines lose in first round IMO and only 7-8 make it out of the first weekend.
Conference tourneys are trickey because those teams know you better than anybody.
UConn to me is as close to a lock to make the final four as there is, they will be playing home games for 2 weeks, Houston had a wake call Saturday and I think that gets them over the top. After that I agree it could be pure chaos

I think this year may be more wild than last year. Except we won’t be part of that wildness with regards to making a surprise run - we very well might be part of the losing end of the wildness, though.

"I remember the days", when us UK fans never worried about the 1st two games in the NCAAT.. Upsets in those 2 rounds were very rare. I rarely worried until the S16 or EE.

Now, I have no expectations of a Calipari team in March.. the last 5 years.
Which ones outside of the CHC are worried now?

And they aren’t worried about anything except our winning.

I’ve been in Nashville with 1000’s of UK fans. They aren’t scared.

Conference tourneys are trickey because those teams know you better than anybody.
UConn to me is as close to a lock to make the final four as there is, they will be playing home games for 2 weeks, Houston had a wake call Saturday and I think that gets them over the top. After that I agree it could be pure chaos
I agree UCONN has handled business. They are the only team who did. They play teams outside the Big East and it might be different. The rest of the top seeds could lose on any given night to anyone. UCONN will fall in a Shootout type game to a high power offe sive team, but I believe it will be in S16 or E8. The rest could easily lose opening weekend. Obviously they all won't but several of them will.

Which ones outside of the CHC are worried now?

And they aren’t worried about anything except our winning.

I’ve been in Nashville with 1000’s of UK fans. They aren’t scared.
People actually believe that this message board plus their small circle of friends that think like them represent the fan base as a whole. It doesn't, and yes a decent portion of the fan base believes recent results are unacceptable the majority of the fan base does believe we can make a good tournament run.

What's even more sad is if we get in a region where the top teams get upset and it opens the field for avg teams to make a run....we need a good showing in the tourney.

I agree UCONN has handled business. They are the only team who did. They play teams outside the Big East and it might be different. The rest of the top seeds could lose on any given night to anyone. UCONN will fall in a Shootout type game to a high power offe sive team, but I believe it will be in S16 or E8. The rest could easily lose opening weekend. Obviously they all won't but several of them will.
I know it the lame pick, but everytime I watch Purdue I’m not impressed. They force feed the ball to edey everytime and he does the same move everytime, and he fouls eveytime. UNC it seems rj davis is the only guy that consistently creates, and if he is having to take 26 shots like he did last night, than unc is in trouble

I know it the lame pick, but everytime I watch Purdue I’m not impressed. They force feed the ball to edey everytime and he does the same move everytime, and he fouls eveytime. UNC it seems rj davis is the only guy that consistently creates, and if he is having to take 26 shots like he did last night, than unc is in trouble
Of the top seeds Purdue, UNC, Baylor, Arizona just don't scare me at all. If I could pick teams I don't want it'd be UCONN(unless it's in final four for revenge) Iowa State and Marquette. I think they cause matchup problems for us. Houston and Illinois are the next level down for who I'd rather not see. The rest don't worry me much. That being said I don't think there is a team on the field other than UCONN that we'd lose to more than 6 of 10 times. The rest we'd win basically as often as we'd lose.

If our offense is on we can beat anyone and sometimes that's what it takes in March. I do believe we make S16 or better with a chance to make final four. People will call me a pumper but this team has the pieces they just lack the consistent execution. People point out that Reed and Dilly are projected top 10 picks and how we have underperformed but let's be honest. This years NBA draft is the weakest in over a decade, no generational talent. I love Reed and Rob but in a normal year they are low teen to late first rounders. This team in a down year for college basketball is the most talented 1-9, we just lack defensive fundamentals and consistency so nothing will surprise me.

"I remember the days", when us UK fans never worried about the 1st two games in the NCAAT.. Upsets in those 2 rounds were very rare. I rarely worried until the S16 or EE.

Now, I have no expectations of a Calipari team in March.. the last 5 years.
This!

Of the top seeds Purdue, UNC, Baylor, Arizona just don't scare me at all. If I could pick teams I don't want it'd be UCONN(unless it's in final four for revenge) Iowa State and Marquette. I think they cause matchup problems for us. Houston and Illinois are the next level down for who I'd rather not see. The rest don't worry me much. That being said I don't think there is a team on the field other than UCONN that we'd lose to more than 6 of 10 times. The rest we'd win basically as often as we'd lose.

If our offense is on we can beat anyone and sometimes that's what it takes in March. I do believe we make S16 or better with a chance to make final four. People will call me a pumper but this team has the pieces they just lack the consistent execution. People point out that Reed and Dilly are projected top 10 picks and how we have underperformed but let's be honest. This years NBA draft is the weakest in over a decade, no generational talent. I love Reed and Rob but in a normal year they are low teen to late first rounders. This team in a down year for college basketball is the most talented 1-9, we just lack defensive fundamentals and consistency so nothing will surprise me.
Houston would beat us 7 times out of time, same with UConn, those are the only 2 teams like that. Iowa st and Marquette would be bad matchups for sure but depending on the game Kentucky could beat them

Tournament is absolutely wide open. Which scares me because Cal rarely takes advantage of a good path…I kinda hope we get a draw that looks tough…historically we’ve done better when we thought the draw was bad. (Somewhat kidding here)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT