ADVERTISEMENT

Who is the best coach in CBB??

Bill Self is the best right now and it isnt really close IMO. I would out Scott Drew and Mark Few in that 2nd tier as well

Have to give Self his due. Few and Drew aren’t in the discussion. Few is still trying to get his 1st championship after having some REALLY good teams that flopped on the big stage.

I would have voted Jay Wright. He seems to get a lot out of his players, but seeing as he retired he's not it. So if this were a poll I would say Bill Self.
I know it's been beaten to death but Wright's modern offense was beautiful to behold. Granted he had way to many early losses in the tourney but still got two titles.

Op, there isn't a best at the moment. I'm not giving it to Self for the extra title. It's neck and neck with about 5 coaches. If K and Roy were still coaching it'd be a tie them two. I hate saying this but Roy is prob the most underrated coaches ever. We're lucky he didn't win 6.

Dear losers,

Your tears are delicious.

Sincerely,
The Champs
Go **** yourself. Congrats on the 4th title. We got our 4th in 1958. We may not have won the title but we gave you the most thorough beatdown in the history of the PHOG. We beat both teams that played for a title this year by an average of 25 points. Count your chickens, injuries doomed us.

Cal hasn’t been to a final four in 7 years
Hasn’t won the title in 10
Hasn’t won a tournament game in 2
Lost in the first round this year
Missed the tournament last year
Last hear had the worst season in

Outside his record from 2010-2015 that the pumpers worship, his record the last 7 years are not top 10 worthy
Bro, you don't have to call anyone who puts him top 5 a pumper. I'm willing to bet most people who aren't UK fans have him top 5. And really, his politics is a factor that bothers you? I'm sure my politics don't match most the posters on here but I l don't bring that shit up because it serves to cause arguments. Any Kentucky fan is a friend to me.

Last edited:
I don’t know who is the goat right now but I got an idea who is the ass of the class

Go **** yourself. Congrats on the 4th title. We got our 4th in 1958. We may not have won the title but we gave you the most thorough beatdown in the history of the PHOG. We beat both teams that played for a title this year by an average of 25 points. Count your chickens, injuries doomed us.
Lmao

You think self is the best? Man cbb is really sucking if he’s the best. Cal should be there but he crapped the bed post 2015. As far as emerging coaches the next 5 years I see beard up there, drew, musselman few of course. It’s definitely a new era of cbb

What about Beard makes you think he’s an up and coming coach. It surely can’t be because he wins, we all know he loses double digit games every single year almost and people still swing from his nuts like he’s some 🐐 or something. Most overrated coach of my lifetime and I’m not young…

Congrats on your moral victories, and single title this century.

Criticizing a coach is one of the fun parts of fandom. Ours are no diff. When we got pasted by 34 by USC in round 2 last year some said Self had resigned himself to coasting on his old laurels and big salary. After we got pasted by Kentucky they said he can’t win without better athletes. And I took a looksie at the Title Game thread and you can only imagine what they said during the bad first half

Most Americans have no long term perspective and are too obsessed with recency bias. Who’s the best coach today? Who can say? Over the long haul who is in the group of candidates?

There’s a group for sure. Maker’s Mark Few is obv in it. Cal, Self, etc. and I think Hubert is going to crush it on the recruiting front for a long time alongside his buddy down the street, unfortunately

Reactions: Wildcats1st
Imo Cal can right the ship but he’s dug himself a hole so deep Pitino could probably come in and fix us quicker. Never thought I’d be saying this.

Chokehawks claim 2 baker’s titles because you perennially choke.

Cheat, Choke, Jailhawks
KU won a title with 3 star players from Kansas that nobody wanted and all you have to say is Self cheated lol.. Maybe if the roster had a single 5 star player on it you could make a case but this is just silly.. Nobody paid 3 star Christian Braun and Ochai Agbaji who are from Kansas City to go to KU lol..

Just to catch you up to the rest of the world, the NCAA doesn't even alledge Self cheated. The allegations against KU are that Adidas cheated for Kansas and Kansas turned a blind eye which we know is true. Its is no different then what Nike does for UK and Duke, it's just Adidas was the one in the FBI trial a half decade ago so KU became the big name target. If you think Nike hasn't done the same for UK players then I've got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you..

Maybe Cal should try getting more 3 and 4 star players like Kansas does and coach them to be a team for 3 or 4 years instead of relying on one and dones who dont want to be in college? That's your problem is the one and done era only worked a couple times for Cal yet he knows no other way to try and win.

Depends on if you're requiring a title to "be the best", because I'd certainly say Kelvin Sampson is one of the best in the game right now. Dude wins, gets his teams to advance in the tournament. Just imagine if he were at a spot that was more of a lure for big time recruits AND had more NIL bags. His teams compete, guard, and play a hard-nosed style.

Sure would hate to see people hold the Cal St. Peter's loss against Cal, but give Rick a pass for having the best team in their conference and not winning the conference tournament.

He needs to win more games in March, but right now there's A LOT of momentum with Musselman at Arkansas

Reactions: Rome26
No not lauding him,just stating what is currently a fact.Yes he cheats,been caught and yet nothing done about it.Fair or not he coached a national title winning team this past season and unless the NCAA takes it away then he has that title.He wins a consistent 30 plus games a year and they constantly are 1 or 2 in the Big12...I dont like saying it at all but the proof is there.
also always near the top of the polls
and does it all without all 5* recruits

Cal hasn’t been to a final four in 7 years
Hasn’t won the title in 10
Hasn’t won a tournament game in 2
Lost in the first round this year
Missed the tournament last year
Last hear had the worst season in

Outside his record from 2010-2015 that the pumpers worship, his record the last 7 years are not top 10 worthy
hasn't even won the SEC or the tournament for a while

THIS ! If Pitino gets a job at one of the historically elite programs, he'll win another NCAA Championship.
Really. Did he beat Calipari a lot? If he’s such a great coach, why did Calipari seem to beat him every time. I did just look it up and Cal is 8-2 over Pitino, maybe it just seemed like every time. But Pitino did not look to me that he was the better coach in any of those games.

I'm surprised Kelvin Sampson's name has come up only once in this thread. He's as good as any coach in CBB in my opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT