ADVERTISEMENT

Who is the best coach in CBB??

Wildcats1st

All-American
Sep 16, 2017
Now in a full year Roy Williams ratface and jay wright are gone. 1 head coach now left in cbb with multiple titles in bill self. Who holds the mantle now? Bill self? Drew? Maybe few?? Pitino even though he had to vacate the title? If it’s no one who will seize that top spot in the next 5 years?

Reactions: ABlockalypseBrow
Bill Self is now the most decorated coach in college basketball. That’s hilarious.

Calipari was close, he had it all going for him to be the guy. He still has time but I just think he’s so far from having it now (after being stupid for too long) it would take a miracle.

I don’t think we can really say who the current goat is of college basketball because it just can’t be Self, Calipari is eating donuts, and others haven’t had time. Revisit this in 5 years.

Bill Self is the best right now and it isnt really close IMO. I would out Scott Drew and Mark Few in that 2nd tier as well
You think self is the best? Man cbb is really sucking if he’s the best. Cal should be there but he crapped the bed post 2015. As far as emerging coaches the next 5 years I see beard up there, drew, musselman few of course. It’s definitely a new era of cbb

Bill Self is now the most decorated coach in college basketball. That’s hilarious.

Calipari was close, he had it all going for him to be the guy. He still has time but I just think he’s so far from having it now (after being stupid for too long) it would take a miracle.

I don’t think we can really say who the current goat is of college basketball because it just can’t be Self, Calipari is eating donuts, and others haven’t had time. Revisit this in 5 years.
Why can't it be Self? Us UK fans were laughing at him for years and look where that got us. Self obliterates our program by every possible metric in the last 7 seasons.*

*Of course, he also cheats his ass off while doing so, so there's that

Why can't it be Self? Us UK fans were laughing at him for years and look where that got us. Self obliterates our program by every possible metric in the last 7 seasons.*

You answered your own question. He cheats his ass off.

And had he not lucked out this year, he’d still only have one title. He’s just not all that impressive to me. Gets the most protected court in America and often flames out early. Yawn.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Punkie1950

The measuring stick should be deep runa in the tournament, titles, wins and losses. If that’s it.. he’s the guy. They also play a tough schedule every year while we dodge everyone and get fat on cupcakes.

Staying strictly with coaching, I’d give it to Rick P., followed by Self. The reason being, if you put Rick on any team whose coach would be considered for this list, I think he out performs them.

With that said, he’s getting older by the day, and there’s a few up and comers knocking on his door. Again, staying strictly with coaching, Cal isn’t even top 10, maybe top 20.

You answered your own question. He cheats his ass elf.

And had he not licked out this year, he’d still only have one title. He’s just not all that impressive to me. Gets the most protected court in America and often flames out early. Yawn.
Cheats his ass off , yet has nowhere near the NBA talent that Cal has had.

I know who isn’t! Our coach
I would put Drew at the top right now but there’s not really a clear cut favorite in my opinion.
The top 3 coaches just retired in Williams, Wright, and rat face.
You have Self, Drew, Few, and Izzo that can make a run at a NC.
I think Musselman has a chance to turn Arkansas into a real national power the way he is recruiting and killing the transfer portal.
Our current coach can’t make a run with the top recruits being scattered everywhere but Duke.
He needs a Duke type roster but Duke is the only ones landing those guys.
Arky is out recruiting us now. Auburn and Bama are recruiting as good as we are.

Pure coaching ability? Pitino.

Self and Drew are the top 2.

Hubert Davis and Musselman are two to watch out for. Musselman is making moves and Davis turned a sinking ship around and made it to the NC game in his first year.

Depends. Are we talking modern coach? I.E. He's basically the CEO of the program and has to recruit, sell, and promote the program? or are we talking "COACH" as in - just coach the team?

If you're looking at the best absolute coach. If I give you a roster of 13 guys with various level of talent and tell you that you can pick ANY active coach in the country to train and coach them for the next year...who are you picking?

I'm picking Rick Pitino 10 out of 10 times in that scenario. He isn't the best CEO for a modern day program or for recruiting or getting elite kids on campus but if you want the best coach that will get the best out of the roster and gameplan to beat your opponent - its Rick Pitino.

Staying strictly with coaching, I’d give it to Rick P., followed by Self. The reason being, if you put Rick on any team whose coach would be considered for this list, I think he out performs them.

With that said, he’s getting older by the day, and there’s a few up and comers knocking on his door. Again, staying strictly with coaching, Cal isn’t even top 10, maybe top 20.
This is true...Pitino with the UK team last season.....does not lose to St Pete - and probably makes a deep run because he can flat out coach.

Crap..I gave up on BBall (mostly cause I just don't like the sport) but Ill be dang if I am not dragged in by the issues created since 2015

Currently it would be Bill Self.I hate saying it but he wins 30 games a year and just won a title so until he gets took down by probation or somebody knocks him off that pedestal,its him

Reactions: Punkie1950
This is true...Pitino with the UK team last season.....does not lose to St Pete - and probably makes a deep run because he can flat out coach.

Crap..I gave up on BBall (mostly cause I just don't like the sport) but Ill be dang if I am not dragged in by the issues created since 2015
Yes Pitino can flat out coach.

Reactions: cat tat2
So we know he cheats yet we’re lauding him. Murica. We’ve lost our way so bad.
No not lauding him,just stating what is currently a fact.Yes he cheats,been caught and yet nothing done about it.Fair or not he coached a national title winning team this past season and unless the NCAA takes it away then he has that title.He wins a consistent 30 plus games a year and they constantly are 1 or 2 in the Big12...I dont like saying it at all but the proof is there.

No not lauding him,just stating what is currently a fact.Yes he cheats,been caught and yet nothing done about it.Fair or not he coached a national title winning team this past season and unless the NCAA takes it away then he has that title.He wins a consistent 30 plus games a year and they constantly are 1 or 2 in the Big12...I dont like saying it at all but the proof is there.

And technically OJ didn’t kill anyone.

• Haha
Reactions: michaeluk26
Self - Drew - Beard - Few
All very consistent and build good rosters
I believe Beard will start to explode shortly at Texas
I’m sorry, but if Chris Beard is on the list, then so is Cal.

He just massively underperformed at Texas with top 5-10 expectations. 11, 13, and 12 losses the past three seasons at Tech & Texas.

And his replacement at Tech was much better than he was when he ditched them.

Reactions: gharding07

He just massively underperformed at Texas with top 5-10 expectations. 11, 13, and 12 losses the past three seasons at Tech & Texas.

And his replacement at Tech was much better than he was when he ditched them.
Beard had a pre season top 5 team this year. Didn't even make it to the sweet 16. Major fail so far

The OP's question should have been "who is the most high profile coach".
There are loads of great X/O coaches in the college game who may never reach a final four.
High profile coaches tend to land in high profile programs, attracting the best players, for a variety of reasons...
Self
Calipari
Few
Cronin
Drew
Pearl...those guys are clearly the most high profile.
It will be interesting to see how Scheyer and Davis play out.

The best definition of a great coach is one that can take his’n and beat your’n and then take your’n and beat His’n. The best example of a coach that fit this description was Craynor Sloan coach of Carlisle County who took his school to the 1983 Kentucky high school basketball finals where they lost to Henry Clay in triple overtime by a score of 36 - 33. Still the most exciting game that I have ever watched. There was a tremendous talent disparity between the 2 teams. Yet Carlisle and Henry Clay were evenly matched on the court. Carlisle ran an offense to perfection continuously passing and cutting until they had the shot they wanted to take. They were as disciplined and fundamental as any high school team that I have ever seen. Few turnovers, great defense, boxing out on every shot etc. I would say there were probablyat least 20. Teams with better talent. A true team stemming from a great coach.

You cannot use wins only as your #1 criteria.

There are outstanding coaches in Div 1, 2, and 3 that may not have the best winning percentage because their school’s tradition and the talent level is below their competitors talent level. But they take a team capable of winning 50% of their games to a level where they are winning 60% of their games.

i consider Lesser known coaches such as Matt Painter (Purdue). Mark Adams (Texas Tech), Buzz Williams (Texas A&M), Randy Bennett (St Mary’s) , Anthony Grant (Dayton, and Gregg McDermott (Creighton) as excellent coaches flying under the radar.

Reactions: Occy64
efKctbq.png

• Haha
Reactions: jgodek
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT