ADVERTISEMENT

Who else could we get?

There are several coaches out there that could provide what we want: respect of the program and hopeful aspirations to compete for titles. I think most fans would be okay with a steady rebuild that improves the program over 3-5 years. Ultimately, whoever we get (and UK has a lot to offer a coach wanting to secure a legacy) will likely win more than one post-season game in 4 seasons. Therefore, it's not "who can we get?" but, "who can we get that is better than what we got and where we are going?"
Fans didn’t give BCG even 3 years. I remember that fans couldn’t get Tubby out fast enough and the excitement of the pep rally for BCG. Oh how we so soon forget.

Reactions: 1STSergeant
We the fans do not care if he is a great ambassador for the state what we care about is if he wins

I mean who else could replicate this magical run of seasons? We might get stuck with another Gillispie!! Or someone else who is 1-5 in their last SEC tournament games 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Calipari is second to Rupp in SEC tournament championship wins with 6. He’s third behind Hall with regular season championships with 6. Ball had 8. Pitino and Tubby both had 5 each.

Lol. Cal isn’t going anywhere and it’s delusional to think he is. And starting threads about who will replace him is an exercise in futility.
People always want a shiny new thing. Sometimes that shiny new thing can bring great success, but the long term can get ugly fast. Ollie at UConn. He won the NC and then was pushed out shortly after.

If Cal had not produced like he did his first 6-8 years you might have a point.
That's a bunch of nonsense and you know it. 6-8 years ago was 6-8 years ago. What's happening now? That's what matters. And you know it. If you remove your head from Cal's backside you'll see that

-The players kneeling is overblown. They did it once, two years ago. If it wasn't for the video about the national anthem from 6 or 7 years, Buzz wouldn't even mentioned.

-Buzz Williams hasn't won anything in his 15 year career. His biggest achievement was an Elite Eight 10 years ago. Since then, he's had SEVERAL seasons of missing the tournament and only one season of going beyond the first round.
Overblown or not, Kentuckians don't like it. Buzz has a 329-200 record that's pretty good record in 15 years. That's coaching at two football schools, not having top notch players, he is a good coach. There are a lot of good coaches who haven't won a national championship, he still has time.

I mean who else could replicate this magical run of seasons? We might get stuck with another Gillispie!! Or someone else who is 1-5 in their last SEC tournament games 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Someone else that hasn’t had a 1 seed in forever?

EmbarrassedBoringDodobird-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: Tronsckub
Overblown or not, Kentuckians don't like it. Buzz has a 329-200 record that's pretty good record in 15 years. That's coaching at two football schools, not having top notch players, he is a good coach. There are a lot of good coaches who haven't won a national championship, he still has time.
Yes, but what has he accomplished? A national championship shouldn't be a must for a coaching candidate, that's unrealistic. However, a 15 year career with only one Elite Eight(10 years ago) and nothing else is a desperation hire.

Are you seriously worried about being able to get a coach that is a better fit?? Just look at who is beating Cal and all of his 5 stars.

Fans didn’t give BCG even 3 years. I remember that fans couldn’t get Tubby out fast enough and the excitement of the pep rally for BCG. Oh how we so soon forget.
Good point.

Funny how that works.

Tubby's last two years were 25 losses and 8/9 seeds and losing in the second round. Billy G's two years were 27 losses, an 11 seed/first-round exit his first year and then an NIT appearance the second year.

Meanwhile, Cal will have had 36 losses his last three seasons, and in all likeliness, no NCAA Tournament wins. Throw in the tourney cancelation due to COVID and that is FOUR YEARS of no tournament wins. Would that ever fly at Duke, Kansas, or UNC?

I think it's time for Cal to go, but I'd like to see him go out in a positive way. Make a good run in the tournament and then retire. He gave us alot of good years before he faded, and it's best for both Cal and the program if we can have an amicable split.
He will destroy us on his way out just like he did UMass and Memphis.

Reactions: bluegolf23
Buzz Williams checks all the boxes, he runs a clean program, he wins and his players always play hard. Plus he’s not woke and doesn’t put up with kneeling.

I now hope whoever the next coach at Kentucky is kneels along with the players at their very first home game so snowflakes like you have something to whine about from Day 1.

-The players kneeling is overblown. They did it once, two years ago. If it wasn't for the video about the national anthem from 6 or 7 years, Buzz wouldn't even mentioned.

-Buzz Williams hasn't won anything in his 15 year career. His biggest achievement was an Elite Eight 10 years ago. Since then, he's had SEVERAL seasons of missing the tournament and only one season of going beyond the first round.
Agree
Buzz is an incredibly likeable guy and his teams do work hard. Hasn’t won anything but he’d make a great assistant

Reactions: Zissou87
Seems like Mark has to be tired of Gonzaga losing all the time when it matters. Bring him to the Bluegrass and see if he wants to win a few titles or just play out there where nobody cares.

UK fans are like someone afraid to file for divorce or break up w/ a long-time partner who treats them like shit. The narcissist has you thinking you're not desirable, not good looking enough, and won't find anyone better so you'll just stay where you are even though you're miserable.

STOP! This is Kentucky f***ing basketball.

Coaches will walk to Lexington and we all know it. Don't listen to the BS.

Reactions: VaxxedObamaCat
Also, why don't people around here list Shaka Smart as one of the top names to replace Cal? He's a great X's and O'x coach, has gotten to the Final Four at a place like VCU, has Marquette ready to potentially make a title run, can get the most out of his players, and he is HUNGRY as hell - I've watched him up close at a few games this season and he's as intense as he was at VCU. His players LOVE playing for him.

I think he would crush it at UK.

I’ve really struggled with this but down to 3:
Buzz Williams
Tommy Lloyd
Frank Vogel

I may be way off, but here is my rationale:

Buzz is humble and understands that this job is as big as it gets. I actually liked him years ago at Marquette and VT before he even left for TAMU. His teams are not always the most skilled but absolutely play with so much passion and energy. It comes from him. He tries new things and hides his teams weaknesses. He would work so hard for these fans appreciating the opportunity. Not an ounce of arrogance do I sense in his demeanor. That would be terribly refreshing following this narcissist.

Tommy Lloyd can identify highly skilled offensive talent. He has international connections and understands that scoring points matters. They run some of the best half court stuff you’ll see with stuff he took from studying European offenses. The guy is smart and kind of a basketball nerd. Not much personality at times, but he would win here.

Frank is a choice for a few reasons. He knows the game. He has coached under some of the best as well as coached some of the best. He is an alum. He understands what UK looks like when it’s in its glory days (mid to late 90s). He would care about the job more than most while being connected to such a degree that he would put the pieces in place on the bench from an assistant stand point to have one of the most knowledgeable staffs in the country. He would also have massive street cred having coached in the league.

I may be wrong about all three but having given much thought to this. I graduated Uk in ‘98.
I’ve loved this program and can remember as far back as the 1981-82 season when I fell in love with the Cats for the first time. The growing apathy in the fanbase is noticeable. It saddens me as well. We should be elite but no longer are at that level. It’s time for UK to move beyond Cal. He’s one of 5 guys to win a Natty here. He won’t be the last either. He’s shtick is old and the gig is up. Everyone knows. The people who stump the most for him outside of UK know this and will defend him bc with him we aren’t a threat anymore. We are rather a benign 5-9 seed level program now.

As Al McGuire once said, “They had it before you. They will have it with you. They will have it long after your gone.”

It’s time to prove Al right once again.

Last edited:
People sleeping on Penny. Dude has Memphis in contention and can recruit. At least Memphis is playing for something today.

Bill Self wasn't a house hold name before he went to Kansas and now he is the best in the business.
He was household name to anybody who watched a lick of college basketball. He was the obvious guy Kansas was going to go after and there wasn’t anyone who followed the game that didn’t know it.

I now hope whoever the next coach at Kentucky is kneels along with the players at their very first home game so snowflakes like you have something to whine about from Day 1.
So mature. Look in the mirror for the snowflake, pansy.

Maybe not, but you still make them say no first.

I haven't seen anyone mention Kelvin Sampson yet. I think he'd do well here. The guy can flat out coach.
Yes he can and again doesn't need all 5 star kids
His players actually improve
But I think his age would be a factor

Reactions: CatOfDaVille
Calipari is second to Rupp in SEC tournament championship wins with 6. He’s third behind Hall with regular season championships with 6. Ball had 8. Pitino and Tubby both had 5 each.
You do realize Calipari has been to more SEC tournaments than anyone other than Rupp.

Also, why don't people around here list Shaka Smart as one of the top names to replace Cal? He's a great X's and O'x coach, has gotten to the Final Four at a place like VCU, has Marquette ready to potentially make a title run, can get the most out of his players, and he is HUNGRY as hell - I've watched him up close at a few games this season and he's as intense as he was at VCU. His players LOVE playing for him.

I think he would crush it at UK.
He would be an interesting gamble. I think he probably is a good coach, but his tenure at Texas being close to a total flop is definitely a big strike against him being considered here.

Buzz Williams checks all the boxes, he runs a clean program, he wins and his players always play hard. Plus he’s not woke and doesn’t put up with kneeling.
Take a drink every time one of these ignorant mouth breathing polititard sheep say woke. This clown wants a coach who is about to make his first NCAA tournament in 4 years a Texas A&M. This is the level of stupidity we’re dealing with here. Go lazily adopt some more talking point mindless sheep.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT