ADVERTISEMENT

Who else could we get?

Would you offer Jay Wright a 5 year $9-10M/year deal? I think I would. Make him say no.
I love Jay Wright but he obviously doesn'tt want to do college basketball due to the NIL and transfer portal. He will be in the NBA when he comes back.

But I love his rosters. That 2018 team is probably one of the best teams of the last 20 years.

-The players kneeling is overblown. They did it once, two years ago. If it wasn't for the video about the national anthem from 6 or 7 years, Buzz wouldn't even mentioned.

-Buzz Williams hasn't won anything in his 15 year career. His biggest achievement was an Elite Eight 10 years ago. Since then, he's had SEVERAL seasons of missing the tournament and only one season of going beyond the first round.
Don’t underestimate the impact that the kneeling episode had on the fanbase. He approved it - and it was conducted by one of the worst teams in UK history. Pathetic.

-The players kneeling is overblown. They did it once, two years ago. If it wasn't for the video about the national anthem from 6 or 7 years, Buzz wouldn't even mentioned.

-Buzz Williams hasn't won anything in his 15 year career. His biggest achievement was an Elite Eight 10 years ago. Since then, he's had SEVERAL seasons of missing the tournament and only one season of going beyond the first round.
His record mirrors Cal for last few years and he is a hell of alot cheaper.

This job is very difficult. Fan expectations, spotlight/microscope, high pressure, tradition - it takes a special coach/person to want and be successful at this job. Not sure of the "who" but Frank Vogel can coach and having been here he has an idea of what to expect. Would need to hire some solid college coaches for staff.
Cal is making it an easier job.

The next coach needs to answer the following questions for the fan base to be satisfied.

- In the last 10 years what is their post season like? How many Elite 8,s Final 4's or titles have they won?
- Could they recruit one to three 5* players and good 4* players that would compliment a good roster
- Would the 5* players stay for 2+ years?
- Does he play a modern offense?
- Does he actually make in game adjustments? (Will play a zone or 1-3-1 if necessary)
- Is the Coach trending upward?
- Does he have the personality to handle the BBN in a respectful way and the pressure?
- Would this coach excite 75% of the fan base?
- Does the Coach care about the tradition of UK and winning for UK?

Whoever can answer all of those questions should be the next coach.

The sad part is, not one name comes off the top of my head. I think there is a vast pool of coaches we could get. But none really stand out. I know the top echelon is Jay Wright, Brad Stevens and Billy Donovon. It's sad that UK is so low none of them would consider it.

Reactions: Zissou87
I want an OFFENSIVE minded coach that brings in players that can defend also. We need a coach that VALUES scoring ability at ALL 3 levels!!

The game is TOTALLY geared toward offense, especially on the perimeter. Defense comes down to lateral quickness and DESIRE.

What coach fits that description?

The next coach needs to answer the following questions for the fan base to be satisfied.

- In the last 10 years what is their post season like? How many Elite 8,s Final 4's or titles have they won?
- Could they recruit one to three 5* players and good 4* players that would compliment a good roster
- Does he actually make in game adjustments? (Will play a zone or 1-3-1 if necessary)
- Does he have the personality to handle the BBN in a respectful way and the pressure?

The sad part is, not one name comes off the top of my head. I think there is a vast pool of coaches we could get. But none really stand out. I know the top echelon is Jay Wright, Brad Stevens and Billy Donovon. It's sad that UK is so low none of them would consider it.
I agree with everything that you're saying except Jay Wright, Brad Stevens, and Billy Donovan. Those guys aren't coming, but I think it moreso has to do with college coaching, altogether.

I want an OFFENSIVE minded coach that brings in players that can defend also. We need a coach that VALUES scoring ability at ALL 3 levels!!

The game is TOTALLY geared toward offense, especially on the perimeter. Defense comes down to lateral quickness and DESIRE.

What coach fits that description?
I think the closest you'll get to that is a guy that's currently coaching a potential accessory to murder.

• Wow
Reactions: catben
I agree with everything that you're saying except Jay Wright, Brad Stevens, and Billy Donovan. Those guys aren't coming, but I think it moreso has to do with college coaching, altogether.
Oh I never said we would get those 3. I said it's sad that we could not get those three.

the sad part is there is no Mike Pratt to step up and say what is needed to be said for the UK tradition
There are basically none of those guys left that want to be involved
Create a round table of guys Issel, Bowie, Grevey, Macy, Derek Andeson, gusy that still care about the tradition and history of UK and want to make it great again. Bill Self wasn't a house hold name before he went to Kansas and now he is the best in the business. His team keeps winning with him in the hospital because they are taught in practice what to do. This hasn't happened @ UK since Pitino left

Reactions: seccats04

I actually disagree with several of these.

Reactions: yes_takeaside
I think the closest you'll get to that is a guy that's currently coaching a potential accessory to murder.
He's just as ARROGANT as Cal WITHOUT the resume. I DO NOT want him ANYWHERE near our program!!!

What about Scott Drew?

I mean who else could replicate this magical run of seasons? We might get stuck with another Gillispie!! Or someone else who is 1-5 in their last SEC tournament games 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
UK has ****ed up one hire in 70 years.....

It'll work out just fine...

Calis not the great coach he is perceived....When the talent level is even, he really, really struggles.

A big "tell" with him---Listen to his pressers. Its never about X's and O's----its always about, "we are hurt......We didn't make shots.....We were out-toughed.....Or someone didn't know the plays. Its never about the actual X's and O's.

Maybe not, but you still make them say no first.

I haven't seen anyone mention Kelvin Sampson yet. I think he'd do well here. The guy can flat out coach.

Buzz Williams checks all the boxes, he runs a clean program, he wins and his players always play hard. Plus he’s not woke and doesn’t put up with kneeling.
Not sure if he would be the long-term answer, but I do like the guy, and his players always play their heart's out.

I don't care about the kneeling and Buzz has been at Va Tech and Texas A+M.... both basketball juggernauts.

Give me Tony Bennett. Wins big with a lot less talent.

His offense is great - fun to watch. Mover and blocker.

D always terrific. In fact it’s his great defense that keeps the scoring down. They actually chart opponents shot clock violations.

With better athletes at UK he could really score. Think they averaged 80 pts/game his championship year and about 70 in an average year.

Class guy with a great pedigree. Class act.

With UK behind him in recruiting he would kill it here and his style travels.

He’s beat the big boys in the ACC often without the resources.

I just don’t see anyone else out there I would have confidence in to win at UK.

Really wanted Pitino and Cal at the time. Truly wanted Billy D after Pitino but just don’t see a better candidate than Tony.
Would be my pick

Maybe not, but you still make them say no first.

I haven't seen anyone mention Kelvin Sampson yet. I think he'd do well here. The guy can flat out coach.
Great coach but old...very old.

I don't get the "no chance" comments on BD. He could make a third more in salary and coach a third of the games he does now.

I don't care about the kneeling and Buzz has been at Va Tech and Texas A+M.... both basketball juggernauts. wake up buddy.
Wide awake, buddy. What has he accomplished? One Elite Eight 10 years ago? Why has he only made lateral moves in programs? Don't you think that in fifteen years of coaching that he would at least get to one top 20 school?

Calis not the great coach he is perceived....When the talent level is even, he really, really struggles.

A big "tell" with him---Listen to his pressers. Its never about X's and O's----its always about, "we are hurt......We didn't make shots.....We were out-toughed.....Or someone didn't know the plays. Its never about the actual X's and O's.
You're spot on Borden. Completely agree with you man. Last night it was all about "just hitting daggers" to win the game. It's always these dumb general comments. So very frustrating. And on top of the lack of Xs and Os, we get absurd substitution patterns. Like bringing in Lance Ware to immediately halt all of our momentum when we're up 14-4 very early in the game when zero substitution was needed. Let us just put them away early but, nope, have to make a mindless substitution and reverse all our momentum.

We can’t settle for mediocrity. Fanbase is getting close to apathy if not already there.

I’m there. 20 years ago last might would’ve pissed me off to no end. Today, I’m almost relieved I don’t have to sit through another 2.5 hours of a root canal. By root canal, I mean watching this team attempt to play basketball.

Whoever it is, do not let offers go public. Make calls to gage interest and be very tight lol about it because the last thing you want is to strike out like three times and then you’ve created a stigma with the job and these guys’ egos would balk at it.

Make a private call to Billy Donovan. If he’s not interested, then go look at your Tony Bennetts, Musselmans, Drew types. But privately shoot for the A lister before going to these other guys.

Either way, we need a divorce badly. This has run its course.

I mean who else could replicate this magical run of seasons? We might get stuck with another Gillispie!! Or someone else who is 1-5 in their last SEC tournament games 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Man it’s not even fun to poke fun of Cal right now. Everything sucks.

I was poking fun at our fans my man. The Cal fans.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
Even Tubby did pretty well for years following a legend. We can find a young guy who fits. If Arizona, Iowa State and Missouri can land guys who are immediate upgrades, UK won't have a problem.
Tubby wasn’t great considering what he inherited. Yes, he won the 98 championship, but failed to really do anything outside of his first season. He had 03 when we got blitzed by Wade. I don’t think people realize how good we’ve actually had it and how bad it was during Tubby and BCG. The issue with BCG is we never took off. Yes, it’s frustrating. Cal needs to get back to recruiting like he did when he first arrived.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT