ADVERTISEMENT

Who else could we get?

Feb 26, 2023
I mean who else could replicate this magical run of seasons? We might get stuck with another Gillispie!! Or someone else who is 1-5 in their last SEC tournament games 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

EDIT: I'M NOT SERIOUS. I'M POKING FUN AT THOSE WHO THINK NOBODY CAN DO AS WELL AS CAL.

Last edited:
I mean who else could replicate this magical run of seasons? We might get stuck with another Gillispie!! Or someone else who is 1-5 in their last SEC tournament games 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Even Tubby did pretty well for years following a legend. We can find a young guy who fits. If Arizona, Iowa State and Missouri can land guys who are immediate upgrades, UK won't have a problem.

We still have to wait u til after next year. Next year will be the same thing. 2 guards who can’t shoot, Edwards a decent shooter, it no spacing for him, Livingston at the 4 maybe, he can’t shoot, whoever at the 5. No spacing, and just dribble handoffs, trying to create a mismatch on the perimeter when the defense is set back in a pack line defense trying to stop the drive

• Sad
Reactions: catben
Give me Tony Bennett. Wins big with a lot less talent.

His offense is great - fun to watch. Mover and blocker.

D always terrific. In fact it’s his great defense that keeps the scoring down. They actually chart opponents shot clock violations.

With better athletes at UK he could really score. Think they averaged 80 pts/game his championship year and about 70 in an average year.

Class guy with a great pedigree. Class act.

With UK behind him in recruiting he would kill it here and his style travels.

He’s beat the big boys in the ACC often without the resources.

I just don’t see anyone else out there I would have confidence in to win at UK.

Really wanted Pitino and Cal at the time. Truly wanted Billy D after Pitino but just don’t see a better candidate than Tony.

D always terrific. In fact it’s his great defense that keeps the scoring down. They actually chart opponents shot clock violations.

With better athletes at UK he could really score. Think they averaged 80 pts/game his championship year and about 70 in an average year.

Really wanted Pitino and Cal at the time. Truly wanted Billy D after Pitino but just don’t see a better candidate than Tony.
I've wanted him for about 7 years.

Coach at missouri seems to be doing good for his first season big improvement over last years 12-21

Buzz Williams checks all the boxes, he runs a clean program, he wins and his players always play hard. Plus he’s not woke and doesn’t put up with kneeling.
-The players kneeling is overblown. They did it once, two years ago. If it wasn't for the video about the national anthem from 6 or 7 years, Buzz wouldn't even mentioned.

-Buzz Williams hasn't won anything in his 15 year career. His biggest achievement was an Elite Eight 10 years ago. Since then, he's had SEVERAL seasons of missing the tournament and only one season of going beyond the first round.

I think that's the guy. Kind of an underachiever in March (given Virginia's seedings), but still wins at a consistent rate. At the moment, there’s no guaranteed, homerun hire out there.

• Wow
Reactions: catben
Buzz Williams checks all the boxes, he runs a clean program, he wins and his players always play hard. Plus he’s not woke and doesn’t put up with kneeling.
Might be a great idea but he took the A&M job because it's close to home and it appears it's where he wants to be.

Almost anybody would be an improvement. I'm serious.

If we had a coach who cared one bit about winning college basketball, at least I could believe in him. The worst thing about Cal for me is that I know he doesn't care.
I said last night that my nephew's elementary school coach could have done better with the team last night and I was only halfway kidding.

Even after last year that argument was still being made.
I think it's people that won't admit they were wrong for blindly backing Cal. They all said it. "We can't get anyone else who can handle the job!!" "Who else would you get?" Like Cal has been handling the job? They are the same ones that said Cal would get the train rolling again and took a victory lap every time we beat a team.

Reactions: SemperFiCat

He could sign a Kyle Guy, Ty Jerome, Malcolm Brogdon type class every year.

Reactions: Kybluedude
Great idea guys. Let’s hire a basketball coach because of his political opinions. What the hell is wrong with you all?

This job is very difficult. Fan expectations, spotlight/microscope, high pressure, tradition - it takes a special coach/person to want and be successful at this job. Not sure of the "who" but Frank Vogel can coach and having been here he has an idea of what to expect. Would need to hire some solid college coaches for staff.

Reactions: J_Dee
There are several coaches out there that could provide what we want: respect of the program and hopeful aspirations to compete for titles. I think most fans would be okay with a steady rebuild that improves the program over 3-5 years. Ultimately, whoever we get (and UK has a lot to offer a coach wanting to secure a legacy) will likely win more than one post-season game in 4 seasons. Therefore, it's not "who can we get?" but, "who can we get that is better than what we got and where we are going?"

Reactions: Zissou87
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT