ADVERTISEMENT

Who do you want for the last coach

davekersey

Junior
Oct 10, 2007
Naples, Florida
After giving it some thought, I'm going to land on Tyler Ulis, But only if he would really want to do it. There are some reasons beyond his playing days at our university. For instance, when he was practicing with the other folks at the Mcdonald's all american game, the other players were drawn to him Like a magnet. They wanted to be around him. That never changed During the time he played at UK. A question remains, however, will he really want to leave the atmosphere and person of calipari.

Who do you have in mind for the last coach?

Rondo or Ulis is kinda where I think this is going.

I read a quote from the staff that was something like “we are being patient with the last coaching spot”…if it was an active coach ready to be hired rn then I don’t see the point in “patience” since it’s the offseason/recruiting season and no need for them to be actively working on another schools behalf..

This is purely my interpretation but I’m assuming it’s necessary patience to allow some admin hurdles to clear such as graduation requirements…or current NBA staff member still in the playoffs, etc.

Reactions: W1LDCAT22
After giving it some thought, I'm going to land on Tyler Ulis, But only if he would really want to do it. There are some reasons beyond his playing days at our university. For instance, when he was practicing with the other folks at the Mcdonald's all american game, the other players were drawn to him Like a magnet. They wanted to be around him. That never changed During the time he played at UK. A question remains, however, will he really want to leave the atmosphere and person of calipari.

He is who I would have in mind. Of course he would need to grow and develop into that role/level. As for leaving Cal, I think anyone in any profession needs to experience more than just one mentor. So I think he will as will. But we are talking 10-20 years down the road. But as you said, others are drawn to him, he played as a Leader, even in his limited role with UK you could see that the players would come to him and that he would "coach" them, and he had (& probably will always have) a fight in him.

I mainly just want someone on the younger side. Some of Cal's last few assistant hires seemed like college coaching journey men. I think we need young blood who can relate to incoming recruits and who might have fresher ideas on the ever-changing basketball landscape.

Tyler Ulis would be fine with me.

Ulis is connected to Cal which makes him a no go for the trash that make up half of this board.

Also Ulis would have to be a student assistant unless he graduated this semester.
Oh, look whos back. You must live a miserable existence to create new user names hourly to disrespect this board and its members. Get a life.

• Love
Reactions: KFuqua and deep3
Nobody who previously worked for Cal. I might make an exception for Ulis as he maybe wasn't there long enough to be indoctrinated/brainwashed, but then again I'm sure there are probably people more qualified.
There is something about Ulis. I think his hire would also be a good bridge between the Calipari players and Marks staff

Reactions: BlueVoodoo
Do we need that bridge, though? What Calipari players do we need to build a bridge to? Future recruits?
Good questions
I guess I was thinking along the lines of open door. Let players from the last 15 years know they’re still welcome and valued

It’s probably naive and not necessary…

Reactions: mailman85
Please no Rondo. My son has been around him numerous times from having four season basketball tickets.. times have been around Rondo have been very negative. From what my son tells me Rondo is a class a jerk and has no people skills whatsoever.. not the kind of young man I would not want recruiting players to the university of Kentucky

Do we already have 4 assistants? I thought Fox was in a non-coaching role. You can have as many non-coach staff members as you want - look what Saban did at Alabama. From what I’ve read, it sounds like Fox doesn’t count against the 5 assistants, but I haven’t seen anything definitive either way.

I get the desire to have another UK guy but imo we need either 1) heavy real time/in game analytics or 2) nil financial.

Those are two emerging areas that we cannot afford to ignore. Nostalgia doesn't cut it imo.

If we are talking in my lifetime, I figure I have 20 or less years.
I will say, I could see (if he does what i think he can) Mark Pope coaching the remainder of my time while I am here in heaven on earth better know as KENTUCKY. If Pope were to retire or not work out then I would want someone not associated to John Calipari. Maybe someone out of the best coaching line at that time and not part of the UK program at all.

I’m all for a guy like Derek Anderson. He has an exceptional basketball mind ans played in the pros. He essentially coached circles around Cal on Twitter with just simple breakdowns on spacing and issues on offense Kentucky showed prior to last season

I’m all for a guy like Derek Anderson. He has an exceptional basketball mind ans played in the pros. He essentially coached circles around Cal on Twitter with just simple breakdowns on spacing and issues on offense Kentucky showed prior to last season
He is has never had a coaching job has he ? Maybe another younger guy who is a good recruiter.

My dream pick would be Tayshaun Prince but I don’t think that’s happening.

Oh, look whos back. You must live a miserable existence to create new user names hourly to disrespect this board and its members. Get a life.
I don't know who the trash is that you quoted. But I can't see his original post. So apparently I have him blocked or he has me and for good reason I see.
Ignore they clowns. If nobody responds to them they will go away. They aren't going to talk to themselves. They are seeking attention. If they get none they will crawl back into their holes and disappear.

John Wall hasn't retired yet that I can tell but hasn't done anything in a while.
He might be ready for a new phase that keeps him connected to the game.

I don't know where he is with his degree but thought he had gone back to work on it.

A little star power that is in memory could be beneficial.

John Wall hasn't retired yet that I can tell but hasn't done anything in a while.
He might be ready for a new phase that keeps him connected to the game.

I don't know where he is with his degree but thought he had gone back to work on it.

A little star power that is in memory could be beneficial.
Wall openly talked about making a comeback this past Fall. He's still connected to the game as a part owner in an Australian basketball franchise. I don't know what that's worth, but now is not the time to jump into coaching.

Good choice.

Please no Rondo. My son has been around him numerous times from having four season basketball tickets.. times have been around Rondo have been very negative. From what my son tells me Rondo is a class a jerk and has no people skills whatsoever.. not the kind of young man I would not want recruiting players to the university of Kentucky
Rondo has always had a problem getting along with people. It’s preposterous to think a coach would want to introduce the drama he would bring into a program. Plus he has baggage. I can’t believe so many people don’t see that .

Reactions: ORCAT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT