ADVERTISEMENT

Who’s on KY short list of Stoops leaves?

TOMCATS1990

All-SEC
Nov 6, 2019
Vince? Some of the fan base would want that. Coen some would want him also. If I were KY and had time I’d do a National Search see what HC’s are interested before hiring from within.

• Haha
Reactions: jnewc2 and mktmaker
Matt House if we are looking for UK connections.

About the only current head coach that might be both gettable and someone I would want is Jeff Brohm.

I’d probably try to bring in another DC from a top program.

Matt House if we are looking for UK connections.

About the only current head coach that might be both gettable and someone I would want is Jeff Brohm.

I’d probably try to bring in another DC from a top program.
Brohm sure would have the state both Louisville and KY fans tore up. I’d be ok with Brohm he is a giant killer but struggles to win the games he is suppose to win.

Reactions: 23jumpboy
I have no idea. What I do know is the major changes Stoops had will last long after he's gone. There's the updated facilities, the proven ability to recruit OH and sell the SEC, the modernized approach to recruiting. There's now a proven way that UK can be competitive rather than being brushed aside as some place "you can't win there".

TV money raising like crazy in the last decade brings a great pay check, and a pretty good assistant pay pool. Barnhardt showing patience also helps sell.

Long story short, I think UK would get better applicants in 2021 than they got in 2012.

Uhhh... Luke Fickell? Get Pelini or Chizek back in the big game? I'm willing to bet the latter two could be convinced to keep the offensive staff... I'm not sure they'd appreciate being bound to the existing defensive staff, though perhaps they'd simply insist on specific changes. Fickell would clean house, I expect.

Last edited:
Vince would be my #1, keeps recruiting in place
Vince is not Head Coach material. Not at this level. He is an amazing recruiter and relationship builder with a team. That's his wheelhouse. I'm not sure I've seen enough from him from an X's and O's standpoint to say he's worthy of a P5 head coaching gig. Maybe I'm wrong. Besides, I think he would follow Stoops.

Besides, I don't think Stoops goes. I think he uses this or any other offers as leverage to get some things he wants to help take us to the next level.

I have no idea. What I do know is the major changes Stoops had will last long after he's gone. There's the updated facilities, the proven ability to recruit OH and sell the SEC, the modernized approach to recruiting. There's now a proven way that UK can be competitive rather than being brushed aside as some place "you can't win there".

TV money raising like crazy in the last decade brings a great pay check, and a pretty good assistant pay pool. Barnhardt showing patience also helps sell.

Long story short, I think UK would get better applicants in 2021 than they got in 2012.
Agreed Theirs only 14 jobs in the best conference in America.
Uhhh... Luke Fickell?
Fickell probably heading to USC. Tom Hermon the ex Texas Coach is from Cincinnati and maybe gets a call from Cincy and or Kentucky.

I looked at the transfer portal last week and some of the highest rated CB LB and DL were all from Texas. Hermon recruited them and Sark has ran them off. You hire Hermon you may have an inside track to picking up some or all of them.

I am. I have been offered the position

we are negotiating salary

Mitch and my agent are butting heads!

we shall see

Reactions: Random UK Fan
Cincy coach would be my first call. Doubt Kiffin would come here or even Leach.
Saban has 2 former NFL head coaches as his OC and DC.

Lot of former NFL head coaches or coordinators would be willing to come here. We have proven we can win and win big

Ok, one of you guys spilled the beans!! Who was it?

Matt Jones just called me wanting me to confirm my interest and if negotiations were ongoing. I told him that I would not disrespect my current position and that I cannot truthfully answer his questions

Reactions: Random UK Fan
Thank I have it on good authority that the 3 finalists are me, Charlie Strong and an unnamed 3 party

TIFWIW

Fickell will go to a huge program or just stay at Cincinnati. There’s no reason to think he would entertain an offer. Let’s be realistic.

Maybe. Had Cincy not been invited to the Broken 12, I would said he would definitely take the UK job. Now he's gonna be what amounts to the Big East football conference years ago. when they were a joke conference that got left a BCS bid. The big 12 is gonna basically have automatic playoff birth with a schedule like UL used to play.

I think we can all say for sure that Fickell is waiting on the Ohio St job and he will be offered it. Anything between now and then is just a road bump anyways.

why would marrow not be an option?
I dont know how Marrow would do in charge of the whole program. He could do great. What I do know is taking the main job will hurt his best attribute which is that of a recruiter. You dont have time to be a head coach and be a recruiter. Head guys usually only come in on the huge recruits and/or to try and make a final push. If Marrow can't recruit, who becomes lead recruiter?

Maybe. Had Cincy not been invited to the Broken 12, I would said he would definitely take the UK job. Now he's gonna be what amounts to the Big East football conference years ago. when they were a joke conference that got left a BCS bid. The big 12 is gonna basically have automatic playoff birth with a schedule like UL used to play.

I think we can all say for sure that Fickell is waiting on the Ohio St job and he will be offered it. Anything between now and then is just a road bump anyways.
My point is that he has other better options than Kentucky if he chooses to leave Cincinnati. I’m not arguing Cincinnati is a more attractive program than Kentucky.

Thank goodness Tyra turned up his nose at Fickell three years ago. That’s when he could have been had.

Reactions: ChaiseyD
I dont know how Marrow would do in charge of the whole program. He could do great. What I do know is taking the main job will hurt his best attribute which is that of a recruiter. You dont have time to be a head coach and be a recruiter. Head guys usually only come in on the huge recruits and/or to try and make a final push. If Marrow can't recruit, who becomes lead recruiter?

This Xs 1,000,000

Reactions: gamecockcat
My point is that he has other better options than Kentucky if he chooses to leave Cincinnati. I’m not arguing Cincinnati is a more attractive program than Kentucky.

Thank goodness Tyra turned up his nose at Fickell three years ago. That’s when he could have been had.
Right I see what you're saying but I dont think Fickell was ever gonna take the USC job. For a few reasons. Thats a superstar job where you have to be suave. It's alot like Pitino/Cal esque. Fickell is not that mold. Plus he's an east coaster with no connections to USC.

If he leaves, he would have left for UK before the conference realignment. Now it would just be stupid to. Maybe in a few years, if OSU keeps Day; and the Big 12 is kinda pushed down a peg or two...he could leave for somewhere else.

But to sum up, I think he would take the UK job now over USC.

Uhhh... Luke Fickell? Get Pelini or Chizek back in the big game? I'm willing to bet the latter two could be convinced to keep the offensive staff... I'm not sure they'd appreciate being bound to the existing defensive staff, though perhaps they'd simply insist on specific changes. Fickell would clean house, I expect.
I doubt Stoops is going anywhere but if he did, I would go all in on Fickel. UK is a better job, better conference, better facilities and he’s only an hour south of Cincy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT