ADVERTISEMENT

Which mid major coach will be most in demand?

rick64

All-American
Jan 25, 2007
Louisville, KY
Seems to happen every NCAAT. Some mid major program makes a run by upsetting a couple of higher seeded teams.

Which coaches could be the best position to move up to a P5 job?

Anthony Grant at University of Dayton is bound to get lots of attention after their great season.

And Travis Steele from Xavier will eventually move up. There’s a long history of very good coaches coming through that program. Also look for Scott Nagy from Wright State to move up soon.
Mark Pope, if you consider BYU mid-major.

He's been there and done that, but I'll say Anthony Grant at Dayton.
I would be shocked if Grant ever leaves UD. Those in the know I have talked to say he is very content. He's back home, he's very happy with the school his kids are attending, he and his wife love the community. He's getting paid pretty well right now, and that's going to go way up after this season. UD is a great job, without some of the pressures of power 6 conferences.

I would be shocked if Grant ever leaves UD. Those in the know I have talked to say he is very content. He's back home, he's very happy with the school his kids are attending, he and his wife love the community. He's getting paid pretty well right now, and that's going to go way up after this season. UD is a great job, without some of the pressures of power 6 conferences.

Just down the road from the university in Springboro. My kid goes to all of their camps and we attend games. Certainly not in the know, but we know many that are and they say the same things. More money is always a great lure, but he seems really content and happy.

AG flamed out at Alabama, where he had all the money and facilities he needed. Contrary to popular belief, he also had a hungry fan base that really wanted him to succeed. The A10 is where he belongs.

At 49 years old I look for Ben Jacobson at Northern Iowa to be getting looks from power 5 teams.

Wouldn’t be surprised if Steve Forbes at ETSU gets looks as well.

Give Pope a year or two more at BYU and he’ll be at a major school as well.

Creighton isn’t a mid major but Greg McDermott is due to step up IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ky grandpa
AG flamed out at Alabama, where he had all the money and facilities he needed. Contrary to popular belief, he also had a hungry fan base that really wanted him to succeed. The A10 is where he belongs.

Exactly.

What about Murray State coach? I know they just missed out on the dance but long history of Racer coaches moving up

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT