ADVERTISEMENT

Which 4 schools do you want to get to 20?

Annual national media revenue, per reports of deals:
NFL: $10B per year
EPL: $4.2B per year
NBA: $2.6B per year
MLB: $1.96B per year
BIG TEN: $1.07B per year
NHL: $625M per year
SEC: $588M per year
I believe that is with the brand new Big Ten deal, and prior to our upcoming deals with additions.

If the Big Ten can double SEC revenue, we’d better try to join!

Reactions: entropy13
Notre Dame, Clemson, Florida State, Miami are the first 4 you ask. If any turn you down then it goes UNC, Virginia Tech, Oklahoma State. Virginia and Duke bring zero to the table as the football would be vandy level.

Reactions: westerncat
You may be right but those schools don't geographically fit in the SEC. Take schools from the south and be done with it.
USC is in the big ten. The days of geography mattering are over. All that matters is money and football success when talking realignment. Geography doesn’t matter, Basketball isn’t a factor either. Reality.

Reactions: Tedington68
I don't see any ACC teams leaving for a long time due to the Grant of Rights agreement through 2036. The B1G will be the most prestigious league going forward. Will make Ohio recruiting a lot harder.

In My Opinion

Miami ( because of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ ) A solid football school
Florida State (surrounded by SEC schools) A solid football school
Clemson (surrounded by SEC schools) A solid football school
North Carolina (would add another state very close to SEC schools.) A good football / very good basketball school.

For those who feel the state of Florida should not get two more schools keep in mind it is 480 miles from Tallahassee (FSU) to Miami. The Miami Metro area has more population than many states and football is king. Miami is a very wealthy school and it will bring lots of money to the table as an SEC member. Plus Florida has 22 million residents and millions of tourist.

No matter how it eventually shakes out all new members should be below the Mason-Dixon Line and East of the Mississippi River. IMO. Road trips would be easier and much more fun and of course better weather.

I don't see any ACC teams leaving for a long time due to the Grant of Rights agreement through 2036. The B1G will be the most prestigious league going forward. Will make Ohio recruiting a lot harder.
Okay let’s not go overboard here. So by 2046 the B1G will have six different teams win national titles…

Reactions: The-Hack
UNC and VA would be good for the markets. F$U and Miami to keep the b10 out of FL but there's a case to try and expand into the NE region to get eyeballs or maybe the west coast for the same reason. If the CA regents block ucla it will interesting to see if the SEC could work out a deal to take ucla and one other CA team that will appease the regents?

Reactions: vhcat70
My top four:

1) Notre Dame: If there's some way the SEC can snare them away from what's probably an inevitable move to the Big 10, then it's a no brainer. Big name program with a national fanbase. A lot of posters don't seem to be aware of the fact that Notre Dame was blackballed from being in the Big 10 years ago due to the Big 10 commissioner being anti-Catholic and anti-immigrant. One of Michigan's former football coaches was also ardently against them joining. Geographically, they belong in the Big 10, but hey, USC and UCLA belong in the Pac 12, so why not Notre Dame to the SEC? Good football and decent basketball. Is anyone in the SEC bold enough to make the offer?

2) UNC-CHeat: Another no-brainer. Despite Matt Jones' ignorant take that NC isn't really a southern state, it makes 100% sense geographically. This increases the SEC's media footprint substantially, as NC is a fairly populous and growing state, with two large media markets (Charlotte and the Research Triangle). Adding this school would raise the level of SEC basketball, and add a football program that's also become decent.

3) Virginia Tech: If we're gonna add a school in Virginia, they make the most sense. Despite some folks' take, VT is much more of the "state" school than UVA, at least sports-wise. UVA is kinda viewed as an elitist, snob school by a lot of folks. It's a public Ivy, basically. They've had some recent basketball success but have otherwise basically been an afterthought for much of their history, and their football program is completely mediocre. VT is much more prevalent in the big media markets, including in the Nova suburbs of Washington, DC. Again, this expands the SEC's media footprint, which is really what it's all about these days. Decent basketball, decent football.

4) Duke: Like UNC, they'd raise the level of SEC basketball, and like Notre Dame, they have a national following, at least in basketball. Football is sh!tty, but if we don't get UNC, they'd bring in the NC media markets, and what's not to like about another likely win for UK on the football side?

Alternates:

5) NC State- For much of the same reason as UNC, but it's the "lesser" of the two. No offense to the Wolfpack, who also, like us, hate both UNC and Duke.

6) West Virginia- Doesn't add much in terms of media markets, but they kinda fit culturally/geographically, and have decent football and basketball programs. Might be the easiest of any of the programs listed here to add. Kind of a "meh" addition, but might be necessary to get to an even number of teams. The natural rivalry with UK and annual football game could become the Hillbilly Bowl.

Lastly, let Clempsun and F$U rot with the remains of the ACC. Why add another football powerhouse in Clempsun? Selfishly, that would be yet another program UK would have to hurdle in football. They bring nothing in terms of basketball prominence and zero in terms of media markets. We already have USCjr. in the conference. Much the same holds true for F$U, though their football has been down recently.
Im just hoping notre dame has to actually play in a conference when this is all finished.

The B1G will be the most prestigious league going forward. Will make Ohio recruiting a lot harder.
No. Just no.

The SEC with their recent additions will continue to rule the roost, financially and athletically. The SEC will re-negotiate with new members.

Reactions: 270Cat
Notre Dame will go Big20 if they join a conference.

I'd say we'll take North Carolina, Florida State, Clemson, and I could see Duke being brought in for the academic consideration, they've been decent in football a few years, and they have a National basketball brand.

So my guess is
North Carolina
Florida St
Clemson
Duke

Notre Dame, Clemson, Florida State, Miami are the first 4 you ask. If any turn you down then it goes UNC, Virginia Tech, Oklahoma State. Virginia and Duke bring zero to the table as the football would be vandy level.
This is pretty close to my thinking.

However, I would much rather have Oregon, Baylor, and the Arizona Schools than your "also-rans" after UNC.

Anyone pining for the southeastern schools only? That ship sailed when Arkansas was added. Missouri and A&M then sank it.

Reactions: The-Hack
If we have to go to 20, my nominees are below (also posted in a previous "Peter Burns" thread:

VA Tech and UNC would be smart TV market moves. UNC owns NC. Having been stationed in VA for over 10 years….VT was THE VA State school from a fan base perspective. UVA was more of a snob school followed mostly by their alumni only.

Two other schools to make it an even 20:

The U:
FSU is a carbon copy of UF (north Florida state school) and adds nothing IMO. HOWEVER, Miami adds good FB history (plus good baseball….decent BB), private school academics, Miami TV market AND footprint in the red hot south Florida recruiting region. Hurricane attitude also makes for some good, heated cross state/border rivalries in the SEC (UF, Bama, UGA, AU). Good away game trips in south beach too.

USA! USA!—For a 20th team, I would go asymmetrical and consider adding a phenomenal historic and academic school in Maryland —the US Naval Academy. Stay with me for a minute: With USNA, we add Ivy League quality academics, strong athletics across all sports (revenue & Olympic sports as they participate on a varsity level in EVERY sport because every student is on full ride scholarship….they’re even decent in FB)….USNA adds TV markets inclusive of the Commonwealth of Maryland and the whopper-sized DC market plus you add a patriotic flair to the SECs already patriotic region. Also, Navy plays ND in FB annually, so we would have the Irish fans and TV draw once a year vs our military academy/SEC member - USNA. Same impact/benefit from annual Army/Navy game too.

Just my $.02.

GBB!

Last edited:
For a 20th team, I would go asymmetrical and consider adding a phenomenal historic and academic school in Maryland
Not a bad idea. Not too far out of the original footprint . . . the original state South of the Mason-Dixon . . . could be an annual opponent of Vandy, and try to “out-anchor-down” one another, and Southern-Most academy!!

I don't know anything about contract law, but ACC teams are saying the contract is with the ACC, not schools, if the conference disband the contract is no longer valid. I don't see how that could be correct, but that is their claim. Just have to get enough on board.

1. UNC, big school, big fan base, lock that state in. If they insist on bringing Duke, say no and pivot to NC State. Duke isn’t worth the hit in football, and anything they bring to basketball can be settled in a non conference game.

2. Virginia Tech. We need the state/TV market of Virginia and that’s the best option.

Now you have to look at what other states/markets you can hit - Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Maryland, DC (WV too small to consider)

There’s not an obvious answer so let’s think outside the box.

conspire with the SEC to kick out Vandy and USCjr. Now we can add 6 total.

3. Clemson - retain South Carolina market with a better team

4. Miami - big tv market, far enough from UF to avoid ruffling too many feathers

5. Cincinnati - creep into Ohio states market (this would be terrible for us but that’s not the SECs concern)

6. I like the Navy idea - secure some northeast market, creep into DC maybe, and then Navy comes to town you get to market “armed forces appreciation” day which would be hugely popular in the south

I know this is impossible but hey, it’s fun!

Assuming ND will go to BIG. Those left for the most TV money:

NC
VA
Miami
4th: AZst/NCst/VT/Clem. Issue with Clem is that SC isn't a big enough TV market for two schools. NC has twice the population of SC. Issue with AZst is they'd be a geographic island. I don't think SC/UCLA will work well for BIG w/o at least two more Far West teams.

And since it's money, I'd buy Vandy out regardless of cost. $100M? $200M? MS shouldn't have two schools. Net, I'd start a bidding war between them & whichever takes first is gone. If that happens, then 3/4 of my #4's are in.

Who I want:

1) UNC: Great rival for UK, great brand, good fanbase, multi sport rival and excellence.
2) Duke: Natural pairing with UNC
3) Miami: I want the road trip, great football tradition and brand
4) Notre Dame: Biggest brand in sport

What I think will actually happen: None of the expansion is driven by basketball, therefore Duke is not happening. Expansion is driven by football, brand, academics, and footprint. So, here is my best guess at who the SEC will pursue and of the schools being pursued who would actually accept (i.e the SEC would love Notre Dame but I don't see ND accepting):

1) Clemson: I see this as more of a pre-emptive move. Keep BIG out. Clemson doesn't help with footprint, but the brand is great, the academics are decent.
2) FSU: See above, but the academics are more on par with the SEC.
3) UNC: This is probably the SEC's number 1 target. Maintain geography, but also get all of the other things that matter (Brand, football, footprint, academics)
4) UVA: Football isn't great, but this is the flagship university in a state that matters with sterling academics.

Who I want:

1) UNC: Great rival for UK, great brand, good fanbase, multi sport rival and excellence.
2) Duke: Natural pairing with UNC
3) Miami: I want the road trip, great football tradition and brand
4) Notre Dame: Biggest brand in sport

What I think will actually happen: None of the expansion is driven by basketball, therefore Duke is not happening. Expansion is driven by football, brand, academics, and footprint. So, here is my best guess at who the SEC will pursue and of the schools being pursued who would actually accept (i.e the SEC would love Notre Dame but I don't see ND accepting):

1) Clemson: I see this as more of a pre-emptive move. Keep BIG out. Clemson doesn't help with footprint, but the brand is great, the academics are decent.
2) FSU: See above, but the academics are more on par with the SEC.
3) UNC: This is probably the SEC's number 1 target. Maintain geography, but also get all of the other things that matter (Brand, football, footprint, academics)
4) UVA: Football isn't great, but this is the flagship university in a state that matters with sterling academics.

I don't think this stops at 20, I think we probably go 24, Big10 does the same Athens remaining 70 or so teams scramble to grab the crumbs left. Doing things like playing on Tuesday if it gets them a TV game, and a little extra revenue. I think the easy picks are Miami, FSU, GT and Clemson those 4 keep the BIG10 out of deep south. The next 4 are harder to pick, VT, Louisville to keep Big10 out of SEC state and one of the NC teams, probably State because NC couldn't come without Duke.

Reactions: KT34
The one source I have (and admittedly is second hand), says Clemson, FSU, Texas Tech and one other, probably Va. Tech. Source is guy who works at West Virginia athletics and is son of my daughter's co-worker. TIFWIW.

I don't think this stops at 20, I think we probably go 24, Big10 does the same Athens remaining 70 or so teams scramble to grab the crumbs left. Doing things like playing on Tuesday if it gets them a TV game, and a little extra revenue. I think the easy picks are Miami, FSU, GT and Clemson those 4 keep the BIG10 out of deep south. The next 4 are harder to pick, VT, Louisville to keep Big10 out of SEC state and one of the NC teams, probably State because NC couldn't come without Duke.
Louisville won’t be considered.

When SEC expansion occurs, it won't have anything whatsoever to do with basketball or regional integrity. It is solely about creating more negotiable leverage for the SEC with TV networks because that is by far the main thing bringing in conference revenue for the member schools. That means football. And that means adding big TV markets. Like Miami, Washington, Dallas.

Louisville won’t be considered.

That's an opinion almost all UK fans have, SC fans don't want Clemson in either. Louisville brings in more than GT and i am not saying they want get an invite. SEC administration doesn't want Big10 in an SEC state, so I don't think any P5 team in an SEC state won't get consideration.

I think your angle is counter to what any conferences or media types have said publicly (i.e. that a conference might expand just to keep another conference out of its backyard). I'm not saying you're wrong, just saying that what you're suggesting would be a pretty new thing for college athletics.

Grabbing teams from NC or Virginia, however, would be completely consistent with how the SEC has done things. Part of the footprint, schools that could share the culture of the SEC, reachable road games for conference fans, large land grant state institutions, good brands. UNC, UVA, NC state, Virginia Tech would all fit that bill.

If you're right that the expansion goes to 24, then I guess we'll see the SEC and BIG be a lot less picky than they have been historically which would open up more mediocre schools / fanbases / brands that might be brought in (UL, Ga Tech, NC State, etc).

That's an opinion almost all UK fans have, SC fans don't want Clemson in either. Louisville brings in more than GT and i am not saying they want get an invite. SEC administration doesn't want Big10 in an SEC state, so I don't think any P5 team in an SEC state won't get consideration.
Louisville media market is already Kentucky dominated. We already deliver it. It's no different than Georgia in Atlanta. The Dawgs deliver Atlanta media market, not Georgia Tech. Florida State and Clemson are a little different in that regard. But I don't think, if we ever added them, it would be because of media market so much as their brands are big enough that they deliver more pie. Cincinnati would deliver more untapped media market than Louisville if we're looking at the UK area. And even then there's a ton of UK grads there. Same for Ohio State. But like I said, Louisville doesn't make any sense for the same reasons Georgia Tech doesn't. Florida State and Clemson....not so much.

If market size is a factor, I don't see why Louisville would be ahead of Georgia Tech. It's not that I do or don't want them apart of big 2, it's that I would be shocked if the SEC or Big Ten considered them as there is at least 15 teams in all the other conferences that bring more value. I suppose we will see what happens.

Louisville media market is already Kentucky dominated. We already deliver it. It's no different than Georgia in Atlanta. The Dawgs deliver Atlanta media market, not Georgia Tech. Florida State and Clemson are a little different in that regard. But I don't think, if we ever added them, it would be because of media market so much as their brands are big enough that they deliver more pie. Cincinnati would deliver more untapped media market than Louisville if we're looking at the UK area. And even then there's a ton of UK grads there. Same for Ohio State. But like I said, Louisville doesn't make any sense for the same reasons Georgia Tech doesn't. Florida State and Clemson....not so much.
Louisville has no brand is the thing. Why would the SEC want another Vandy level team as far as football goes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT