ADVERTISEMENT

Where's Morg?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The lucking into a title because of Davis makes no sense to me at all.

If we can acknowledge the fact that Cal's biggest strength is his recruiting, why on earth would he not get credit for that? lol. He didn't "luck" into Davis. He recruited him. He used his biggest strength as a coach and turned that into a title. It's not any different than any other coach taking what they do well and turning that into titles.

And it also ignores the fact the man has made final fours without Davis as well. Heck literally the year before that lol.

Do people realize just how ridiculous they sound when they say "well yeah but he never would have won that title without Davis". Yes you win titles with great players. Shocking.

IMO there's two ways of measuring coaching.
The first is on the court results. In that way, well there's not many people who have taken multiple teams to final fours or have had the winning % that Cal has had in his career. Or the number of wins.

The second is the coach that gets the most out of the talent they have. They take non talented teams and turn them into a good one. Or a good one into a great one. That's not Cal. It just isn't.

But so what. Recruiting is PART of the job. If Cal can leverage that into final fours, into titles.........well.......so what lol.

Im not even arguing with you whether Cal is a good coach or not. You’re so eaten up with Cal you can’t think straight. C’mon man,
So I'm "eaten up with Cal" because I'm stating facts?

Am I also ate up with Cal every time I start a thread where I emphatically state how great he did when he has won tough games?

I started threads about how impressed I was with Cal after he coached his depleted team to victories at UT and at Arkansas.

Cal isn’t important enough for me to he obsessed with, but UK is, UK basketball is a big interest of mine and I hate what Cal has done to it and I'm searching for any sliver of hope. I thought we had something after the UT and Arkansas issues, but nope, he just isn't good enough to overcome the flawed teams he keeps building.

If we can acknowledge the fact that Cal's biggest strength is his recruiting, why on earth would he not get credit for that? lol. He didn't "luck" into Davis. He recruited him. He used his biggest strength as a coach and turned that into a title. It's not any different than any other coach taking what they do well and turning that into titles.

And it also ignores the fact the man has made final fours without Davis as well. Heck literally the year before that lol.

Do people realize just how ridiculous they sound when they say "well yeah but he never would have won that title without Davis". Yes you win titles with great players. Shocking.
Looks to me like Cal gets credit for recruiting, but when you look at what he did without Antigua and WWW, it's pretty obvious Cal isn't what he wants everyone to believe.

Take Orlando off his staff and I bet the recruiting takes a dive again.

It’s strange to me that Cal's player evaluations are all over the map. He thought Hagans, Wheeler, and Askew (yuck), were good enough to run the most important position on a college basketball team. What's worse is he brought 2 of them back for a 2nd year, which means he didn’t realize those guys weren't all that good, he had to see it again. Hagans I can understand, the other two, I can't.

Looks to me like Cal gets credit for recruiting, but when you look at what he did without Antigua and WWW, it's pretty obvious Cal isn't what he wants everyone to believe.

It’s strange to me that Cal's player evaluations are all over the map. He thought Hagans, Wheeler, and Askew (yuck), were good enough to run the most important position on a college basketball team. What's worse is he brought 2 of them back for a 2nd year, which means he didn’t realize those guys weren't all that good, he had to see it again. Hagans I can understand, the other two, I can't.

It's definitely not what it's been. No doubt Antigua and WWW helped.

I rhink they did more than just help. I would feel differently if recruiting didn’t take a hard dive after Orlando left, then jump back.up when he came back.

I don't know if I'd say it took a "hard" dive. We didn't go from #1 classes to dropping to 15th. We went to #2. And we also went to #2 during a time when Coach K was 1. going heavy into 1AD recruiting and 2. was outright cheating to get his guys. From 2015 to 2020, Duke's recruiting was red hot. But we we're firmly in the 2nd spot.

I'm sure Antigua and WWW helped.. but there were also plenty of external factors at play, plus the simple fact that sometimes your classes simply take a dip, and sometimes, players don't pan out.

I don't know if I'd say it took a "hard" dive. We didn't go from #1 classes to dropping to 15th. We went to #2. And we also went to #2 during a time when Coach K was 1. going heavy into 1AD recruiting and 2. was outright cheating to get his guys. From 2015 to 2020, Duke's recruiting was red hot. But we we're firmly in the 2nd spot.

I'm sure Antigua and WWW helped.. but there were also plenty of external factors at play, plus the simple fact that sometimes your classes simply take a dip, and sometimes, players don't pan out.
I'm talking about quality of the players.

We went from getting guys like Wall, Cuz, Knight, Randle, Towns, Noel, AD, MKG and Murray, to EJ Montgomery, SKJ, Hagans, Askew, Boston, Skal, Ware etc…

Here’s what you have to realize, Cal was getting #1 and 2 ranked classes due to volume and low ranked 5* kids. When you have to recruit an entire team every year, you're going to have a higher rated class than 99% of college basketball teams, because those teams are bringing in just a few lower rated kids that they want to stay in the program to develop.

Cal was only competing with K for recruiting titles, nobody else cared about winning recruiting banners and they weren't interested in playing the one-and-done game.

I'm pretty sure Morg openly admits his Memphis Fandom, which explains why he has *always* hated Cal. He's not a bad poster, we have some laughs.. but he is absolutely unhinged when it comes to Cal and UK basketball. And he tends to stretch the truth and fabricate at times. He thinks Cal has been purposely destroying UK. He's your Herro'Heros/Kwilt counterpart.
He's a know-it-all blowhard who likes to hear himself talk.

I'm talking about quality of the players.

We went from getting guys like Wall, Cuz, Knight, Randle, Towns, Noel, AD, MKG and Murray, to EJ Montgomery, SKJ, Hagans, Askew, Boston, Skal, Ware etc…

Here’s what you have to realize, Cal was getting #1 and 2 ranked classes due to volume and low ranked 5* kids. When you have to recruit an entire team every year, you're going to have a higher rated class than 99% of college basketball teams, because those teams are bringing in just a few lower rated kids that they want to stay in the program to develop.

Cal was only competing with K for recruiting titles, nobody else cared about winning recruiting banners and they weren't interested in playing the one-and-done game.

Ok, but that still doesn't mean it was ALL Antigua.

Cal's system kind of recruited it self, for the reasons you mentioned: there were openings every year. But it was still HIS system. And while I'm sure the assistants helped by doing some of the grunt work.. the players wanted to go to the system that Cal created. They weren't coming because of Orlando Antigua.

Cal's system kind of recruited it self, for the reasons you mentioned: there were openings every year. But it was still HIS system. And while I'm sure the assistants helped by doing some of the grunt work.. the players wanted to go to the system that Cal created. They weren't coming because of Orlando Antigua.
I never said it was all Antigua.

He's a know-it-all blowhard who likes to hear himself talk.
If someone thinks Gromcat's posts are good or interesting, they must also be someone who picks up a copy of The National Enquirer on a weekly basis. [laughing]

Cal could slaughter a puppy with a butter knife live on youtube and you guys would say:

1. The puppy had it coming
2. Those complaining are just a bunch of puppy lovers
3. Lots of guys slaughter puppies, not just Cal, and besides, hasn't Cal NOT slaughtered tons of puppies?

Cal could slaughter a puppy with a butter knife live on youtube and you guys would say:

1. The puppy had it coming
2. Those complaining are just a bunch of puppy lovers
3. Lots of guys slaughter puppies, not just Cal, and besides, hasn't Cal NOT slaughtered tons of puppies?

Likewise. Some of you will never give him a shred of credit. He could cure cancer for your family and you'd reply "well it was really Antigua that did it.."

And I've given him a ton of grief this year. I even said in this threat that next year needs to be his last. I said he's been mediocre. I said his recent years have been down. I said this 2nd half of his career at UK has been a disappointment. I said I never confused him as a great xs and os coach.

But guess that's not enough lol.

Some pansy probably complained to the mods and got him banned
At some point you have to wonder who. If it's just a random person or two, whatever. That's a pretty petty and pathetic life to live. Ooooor, my conspiracy theory guess it's probably folks under Cal's thumb trying to silence dissident. Probably the sad and petty option.

Likewise. Some of you will never give him a shred of credit. He could cure cancer for your family and you'd reply "well it was really Antigua that did it.."

And I've given him a ton of grief this year. I even said in this threat that next year needs to be his last. I said he's been mediocre. I said his recent years have been down. I said this 2nd half of his career at UK has been a disappointment. I said I never confused him as a great xs and os coach.

I know you're trying to make a point, but your argument is not correct.

After the road wins at UT and Arkansas, most of the people you’re referring to, praised Cal for a job well done and Cal has gotten 100% of the credit for every single 5* recruit that has come through these doors since 2009.

As far as I know, I'm one of the very few that calls out the trends in our recruiting matching up with OA's time here and away.

The bottom line is, the BBN wants to be supportive of Cal, we certainly don't WANT UK to lose 10+ games, then see Cal act like he doesn't care, while sitting in the NBA draft green room, he's the one baiting UK fans and he's the one talking down to us after going 9-16 and losing to SP.

This isn't the fans fault.

Guess you didn't log on much prior to 2017. He was idolized by most posters to the point where it was cringy lol. He has definitely received his share of credit. I also held him in very high regard, but obviously things change. Not much worth giving credit for since then.

Reactions: KFuqua

And yet here you sit, acting as Cal’s shieldbearer.

Guess you didn't log on much prior to 2017. He was idolized by most posters to the point where it was cringy lol. He has definitely received his share of credit. I also held him in very high regard, but obviously things change. Not much worth giving credit for since then.
Yeah, it confuses me when people act like Cal has always been hated on this board. Negative opinions on Cal were attacked a lot here, it wasn’t until the last 3-5 seasons that all that has shifted.

Yeah, it confuses me when people act like Cal has always been hated on this board. Negative opinions on Cal were attacked a lot here, it wasn’t until the last 3-5 seasons that all that has shifted.
He conveniently forgets how Camp Cal was treated like a rite of passage lol , how some posters repeated Cal's phrases like "clutter" or "I can't hide you" like robots and God forbid you criticized anything during that period.

Reactions: Montana81

The ugly stuff is saying he's intentionally trying to burn the program down, etc. This being a free site, that kind of talk should be deleted without any hesitation and the poster perma-banned. They are likely a rival fan and if not, they are toxic.

• Sad
Reactions: ruppsrunt66

Nope. Nobody's more intellectually dishonest than the cowbois. If you tracked the season you know those critical of Cal have been cheering game by game for the Cats. WE can multitask. YOU guys can only misrepresent his career statistics as though they are current and call us haters.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
Nope. Nobody's more intellectually dishonest than the cowbois. If you tracked the season you know those critical of Cal have been cheering game by game for the Cats. WE can multitask. YOU guys can only misrepresent his career statistics as though they are current and call us haters.

Cowbois?

Yep, I'd say that's my cue to bow out.

Morg was also on here pushing for Mark Stoops to be fired and saying he could never win at UK in his first few years coaching us.
To be fair, I thought the exact same thing his first few years here. I mean the first 2 years looked like a continuation of Joker, although you could definitely see more effort.

When people say he lucked into a title in '12, they're referring to the fact that we don't win that title w/out lamb, jones and the other upperclassmen who wouldn't have been there if not for the nba lockout. If they'd gone 1 and done as they planned when they signed w/ us, Davis would be one more (in a loooong list) talent who played for Cal and came up short.

Reactions: kyjeff1
When people say he lucked into a title in '12, they're referring to the fact that we don't win that title w/out lamb, jones and the other upperclassmen who wouldn't have been there if not for the nba lockout. If they'd gone 1 and done as they planned when they signed w/ us, Davis would be one more (in a loooong list) talent who played for Cal and came up short.

NBA lockout or not, the guys came back. It's not as if they didn't have any decision whatsoever.

Also, they still needed to go through a season and get the job done. As we saw in 2015, nothing is ever a slam dunk especially in a one and done tournament.

IMO No one "lucks" into a title. Saying so just diminishes what the players on the court were actually able to accomplish.

In contention to win a title. They were looking very good when they were healthy.

Either way, if you can't look at last year, and at least say "Cal has this team looking very good on the regular season".. while still giving him rightful criticisms.. if you you're just going to say he totally failed and didn't do anything good, pretending that we were some bad team all year.. then I don't really have much else to talk to you about in regards to basketball.
Oh, I can give Cal credit for making the team look relevant at different points in each of the last two seasons, but he's still like the genius engineer given the responsibility to come through and make critical deadlines. Yet, he keeps missing deadlines for company projects and ends up costing the company millions in revenue.

At some point, he needs to make those deadlines. Missing one or two is human. Missing them annually and when backed by millions to produce a real result? That's unacceptable, even if the product looked promising at times. The bottom line is that it needs to work by the deadline. Cal hasn't been able to meet that deadline since 2017.

Well it’s more a accurate to say we wouldn’t have won without the NBA lockout.

NBA lockout or not, the guys came back. It's not as if they didn't have any decision whatsoever.

Also, they still needed to go through a season and get the job done. As we saw in 2015, nothing is ever a slam dunk especially in a one and done tournament.

IMO No one "lucks" into a title. Saying so just diminishes what the players on the court were actually able to accomplish.
Not saying the team lucked into a title...they were legit out of the gate, was the best team all season, and finished the job. I'm saying Cal lucked in to having that particular mix of players who ended up on the team.

Actually, I wasn't the one saying he lucked in to a title, I was interpreting what I thought the OP meant by saying it.

Reactions: The_Answer1313
Not saying the team lucked into a title...they were legit out of the gate, was the best team all season, and finished the job. I'm saying Cal lucked in to having that particular mix of players who ended up on the team.

Actually, I wasn't the one saying he lucked in to a title, I was interpreting what I thought the OP meant by saying it.

I feel like we really don’t know honestly what guys were going to do or not.

I mean there was no NBA lockout in 15. Guys came back.

I know since Cal has been here we look at this thing like a revolving door and sometimes it is but it’s not as if we just had guys come back a second year.

Some years guys come back you don’t expect. And sometimes they leave before you expect them to or they should.

Damn, this is a weird place. I got the vibe from that Gromcat guy that he was the master troll. The alternator mod he kept talking about. But the whole thread is going to bat for him so maybe not. I still think he's doing stuff behind the scenes.
Read again the whole thread it’s not behind Morg He has some valid points but they were lost with him being a total prick most of the time.

Reactions: Graham51

I think Hagans could have been a really good college point guard as a junior or senior. But yeah we weren’t winning a ship with him those first 2 years. He got destroyed by the auburn guard in the E8(so did herro to be fair). And even if we had gotten past that game he would have gotten eaten up by virginia or texas tech’s guards just the same. eventually he was going to get us beaten.

Reactions: kyjeff1
I wish both sides of this argument could acknowledge one simple point from the other.

Cal was a GREAT coach for a very long time. Cal has not BEEN a great coach for a long time now. They both can be and are true.

So I'm "eaten up with Cal" because I'm stating facts?

Am I also ate up with Cal every time I start a thread where I emphatically state how great he did when he has won tough games?

I started threads about how impressed I was with Cal after he coached his depleted team to victories at UT and at Arkansas.

Cal isn’t important enough for me to he obsessed with, but UK is, UK basketball is a big interest of mine and I hate what Cal has done to it and I'm searching for any sliver of hope. I thought we had something after the UT and Arkansas issues, but nope, he just isn't good enough to overcome the flawed teams he keeps building.

'Ain't" never seen him win one of those...

Oh where oh where has my little Gromcat gone, Oh where oh where can he be.... :rolleyes:

oh-well-fine.gif

giphy.gif

madeas-big-happy-family-tyler-perry.gif

@Where Oh Where...

tumblr_narpg9MV8F1ry46hlo1_400.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: Backer cutter
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT