ADVERTISEMENT

Where's Morg?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I never mistook his X's and O's as a strong part of his game.. But I didn't think it was BAD.. or at least, certainly not as void as it is now. I think it's fair to say he was better back then, for whatever reason.
It's actually quite simple. He had better players. Four #1 picks and a bunch of top 7 picks will work wonders for ya, even for a mediocre coach like Calipari.

Bro, you usually have good counter-points when debating anything Calipari. But you fell short using the Jim Rome reference. I mean think about it, a sports reporter makes an observation is good and all but his opinion is simply that, an opinion. If you’re gonna use Rome’s assessment of Cal as gospel, then you should have no problem using someone who played college basketball, was an assistant coach under Coach K and is currently the top college basketball analyst on ESPN, Jay Bilas. He stated Cal is a great coach. So does legitimize Cal in the same manner you said Rome did?

AB61-C916-26-A9-497-E-AD2-B-4-DEB898-AB51-C.jpg
Bilas. Rome. Vitale. None of their opinions matter as much as simply looking at the following: 22-12 and a second round exit after a St. Peter's loss in the first round after a 9-16 campaign.

Three consecutive years of suckage.

It really speaks for itself, doesn't it?

Last edited:
Why else is he in the Coach's Hall of Fame. I know you will say recruiting, but look at the teams he took to final fours before UK. Camby and and Rose, but what else. They guy can coach. You just don't like the way he coaches. I'm fairly certain, without really doing much research, that the Naismith Hall of Fame voters know more about this than jyjeff1. But I'm just guessing.
Jeez man. This isn’t hard. He’s in the HOF for 3 reasons:
1) UK gave him the stage
2) he has put a ton of dudes in the pros
3) He's been coaching D1 ball for 40 years

There's nothing he did from the bench that impressed anyone and you acting like he had nobody on those UMass and Memphis FF teams, is laughable.

We laugh at Dean Smith and talk about how he did less with more, but Cal takes the cake in that department.
Man, I wish some of you would listen to some of the sh@t you say. Cal has his faults like any coach but to say he didn’t have anything to do with winning the title is dumb. You say it’s because of Anthony Davis. That’s a lazy narrative. You do realize MKG was the number 2 pick in the NBA Draft right behind AD right? Why don’t you say Cal got lucky because he had the #2 overall pick MKG? Or why don’t you say Cal got lucky because he had a 1st round #29 draft pick at PG (Teague). Or Cal got lucky because he had the 1st round #18 draft pick (Terrence Jones)? Stop with the dumb talk.
Cal doesn’t win the title in '12 without that NBA lockout and you are also proving the point that he's not a good enough coach to win anything big without a serious amount of talent.

In fact, he had 4 other teams that were absolutely loaded with talent and he lost to underdogs with all 4 of them.

In fact, most of his NCAAT losses were to underdogs, I think only uNC 2017 was favored over UK. That’s pretty bad.

Cal is averaging 36 + wins per year when he has a top 5 pick on the roster. He's averaging about 26 wins per year when he doesn't have one of those guys. Talk about a night and day difference.

He's incapable of greatness without the best players. That's why we better hope Wagner or Edwards turn out to be transcendent next year, or we'll experience more of the same in that 22 to 25 win department and early NCAA tourney flameout.

Last edited:
It's just a testament that some don't really expect greatness from our program, which is fine, but we're no gold standard. UConn has won 5 titles with three head coaches since 1999. UNC has won 3 titles in that span. Duke has won 3. Kansas has won 2 since 2008. Villanova and Florida both have multiple titles.

We're just one of many great programs. We're not the best. Not anymore. Cal's literally pushed us off that mountain. We're just one program in the pack of about 6 great programs. For some fans, that's perfectly fine. For most of us, it's not. Like you said, part of the heartbreak has come from all the close losses Cal has endured with superior talent in the NCAA Tournament. No one this side of Dean Smith has done less with more.
Yeah, I can't believe how many so called" fans" we have that are okay with what Cal is doing. All I can do is shake my head. It’s incredibly disappointing.

1) UK gave him the stage

There's nothing he did from the bench that impressed anyone and you acting like he had nobody on those UMass and Memphis FF teams, is laughable.

We laugh at Dean Smith and talk about how he did less with more, but Cal takes the cake in that department.
"We" don't laugh at Dean Smith. You might, but I don't. The man won tons of basketball games. Tell me one person that knows basketball that is critical of Cal's coaching. I consistently hear other coaches say how good of a coach he is. Who was on those UMass and Memphis teams other than Camby and Rose? He has won everywhere he has been except New Jersey. Yet, kyjeff1 should have his job, I get it.

Reactions: dakid_0812
Cal has never won more than 33 games in a season without a top 4 pick.

He's incapable of greatness without the best players. That's why we better hope Wagner or Edwards turns out to be transcendent next year, or we'll experience more of the same in that 22 to 25 win department and early NCAA tourney flameout.
How many other coaches have ever won 33 games in a season?

Reactions: dakid_0812
It's actually quite simple. He had better players. Four #1 picks and a bunch of top 7 picks will work wonders for ya, even for a mediocre coach like Calipari.

My thoughts on talent at the college level are well documented here, as this topic comes up often. I just don't agree that having elite-but-young talent is some automatic key to winning a Final 4. Case in point, coach K struggled just the same when he had a lot of these loaded classes.

Some of you I know don't agree, and that's fine. I think there are arguments for both sides. But for me, I think overwhelming talent lends itself much better to college foot all and pro sports. College ball, not as much.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
Bro, you usually have good counter-points when debating anything Calipari. But you fell short using the Jim Rome reference. I mean think about it, a sports reporter makes an observation is good and all but his opinion is simply that, an opinion. If you’re gonna use Rome’s assessment of Cal as gospel, then you should have no problem using someone who played college basketball, was an assistant coach under Coach K and is currently the top college basketball analyst on ESPN, Jay Bilas. He stated Cal is a great coach. So does legitimize Cal in the same manner you said Rome did?

AB61-C916-26-A9-497-E-AD2-B-4-DEB898-AB51-C.jpg
My point is, even a hack like Jim Rome, who doesn't give a wet dog shit about college basketball, knew Cal sucked as an in game coach and come on man, of course Jay Bilas is going to say Cal is great, they're friends and Jay has to be PC, he can't just come out and publically call Cal out for sucking.

My thoughts on talent at the college level are well documented here, as this topic comes up often. I just don't agree that having elite-but-young talent is some automatic key to winning a Final 4. Case in point, coach K struggled just the same when he had a lot of these loaded classes.

Some of you I know don't agree, and that's fine. I think there are arguments for both sides. But for me, I think overwhelming talent lends itself much better to college foot all and pro sports. College ball, not as much.
It may not be a key for winning the Final Four, but for Cal, it certainly puts him in the best position to get there. Did you know he's averaging about 10 losses more per season when he doesn't have a top 5 pick on his rosters, dating all the way back to Memphis?

Reactions: Fox2monk
1) UK gave him the stage

Cal doesn’t win the title in '12 without that NBA lockout and you are also proving the point that he's not a good enough coach to win anything big without a serious amount of talent.

In fact, he had 4 other teams that were absolutely loaded with talent and he lost to underdogs with all 4 of them.

In fact, most of his NCAAT losses were to underdogs, I think only uNC 2017 was favored over UK. That’s pretty bad.
Phi Slamma Jamma didn't win a title. Georgetown with Ewing lost to Villanova. Over the years, Duke has failed to win the tournament with more talent than others more than any other team.

"We" don't laugh at Dean Smith. You might, but I don't. The man won tons of basketball games. Tell me one person that knows basketball that is critical of Cal's coaching. I consistently hear other coaches say how good of a coach he is. Who was on those UMass and Memphis teams other than Camby and Rose? He has won everywhere he has been except New Jersey. Yet, kyjeff1 should have his job, I get it.
I think it’s funny how you act like coaches just come out and slam other coaches for being poor at their job.

Have you ever heard a coach call out another coach for sucking?

Tom Crean sucks, but Cal said he was great, does that mean Cal really thinks Tom Crean is great?

Cal isn't the only reason why Kentucky has 1 titles since 1999. You guys better wake up to that quick because Cal won't be here much longer, and I'm no where near convinced we just go back to winning like it's the 1940s or the late 90s. We can sure try to, and we should.. but I think Kentucky basketball has a few more hurdles in 2023 than we realize.

Phi Slamma Jamma didn't win a title. Georgetown with Ewing lost to Villanova. Over the years, Duke has failed to win the tournament with more talent than others more than any other team.
Too bad for them, what does that have to do with Cal?

Yeah, sometimes the best teams don't win, but Cal has had the most talented teams way too often and lost to big underdogs with those teams and you're trying to defend that. Hilarious.

Cal isn't the only reason why Kentucky has 1 titles since 1999. You guys better wake up to that quick because Cal won't be here much longer, and I'm no where near convinced we just go back to winning like it's the 1940s or the late 90s. We can sure try to, and we should.. but I think Kentucky basketball has a few more hurdles in 2023 than we realize.
It can't get much worse than 9-16, followed by a loss to a 15 seed, followed by 22-13 with a second round bow out.

The idea that we'll become Indiana is always a possibility, but I've got a newsflash for you, we're already trending that way anyway. We haven't been truly relevant since the Tyrese Maxey team, and that team was far from a title favorite.

You seem fearful the next guy will mess it up worse than it is. Really? We've gone 57-36 over our last three years. That's Indiana-level suckage already.

It may not be a key for winning the Final Four, but for Cal, it certainly puts him in the best position to get there. Did you know he's averaging about 10 losses more per season when he doesn't have a top 5 pick on his rosters, dating all the way back to Memphis?

Yeah I think talent will help you generally win games.. having John Wall is certainly worth x amount of wins as opposed to Ryan Harrow. But I also think elite talent is simultaneously inexperienced, more difficult to coach and get up to speed, etc.

A John Wall type talent in football is likely going to dominate his position from day 1 and for as long as he plays in college.. but thats not always the same for basketball. Overwhelming athleticism doesn't always win in the college game.

It can't get much worse than 9-16, followed by a loss to a 15 seed, followed by 22-13 with a second round bow out.

The idea that we'll become Indiana is always a possibility, but I've got a newsflash for you; we're already trending that way anyway. We haven't been truly relevant since the Tyrese Maxey team, and that team was far from a title favorite.

This is what I mean though.. last season was a pretty great season until we got upset. And it sure wasn't a good look, certainly for Cal. But it's bound to happen. I'd say last team was relevant, and then injuries hit. Maybe we should have beaten St. Peter's but we weren't going much past that unless Grady and Ty got healthy.

That’s fine, we know we aren't going to win titles every year, but I'd be happy with a coach that puts UK first, doesn't have players sitting out to protect draft stock, doesn't argue with fans and doesn't blame everyone else for his failures.

Cal is a shell of himself, but this post that I quoted, is pretty messed up, you are acting like Cal created UK.

Cal will never win another title unless he changes pretty much everything he is doing, that ain't happening.

My point is, even a hack like Jim Rome, who doesn't give a wet dog shit about college basketball, knew Cal sucked as an in game coach and come on man, of course Jay Bilas is going to say Cal is great, they're friends and Jay has to be PC, he can't just come out and publically call Cal out for sucking.
Dude please. That’s bullshit and you know it. Stick to your other points ie: offensive sets, defensive sets, lineups etc… those are more valid .Rome, Bilas, Vitale none of their opinions matter as much as the record of Cals body of work (see Son of Sauls above post)

Yeah I think talent will help you generally win games.. having John Wall is certainly worth x amount of wins as opposed to Ryan Harrow. But I also think elite talent is simultaneously inexperienced, more difficult to coach and get up to speed, etc.

A John Wall type talent in football is likely going to dominate his position from day 1 and for as long as he plays in college.. but thats not always the same for basketball. Overwhelming athleticism doesn't always win in the college game.
The sample size disagrees with your assertion. 7 years of Cal having a top 5 pick = a minimum of 32 wins, an average of 36+ wins per season, three 38-win seasons, 7 Elite Eights, 4 Final Fours, 2 runner-ups, 1 title.

In the years where he doesn't have those guys, he's averaging about 26 wins per season.

I suppose your assertion is true for other coaches, but it's not true for Calipari. He does his best work when he has elite players, and most of his elite players have been freshmen.

That’s fine, we know we aren't going to win titles every year, but I'd be happy with a coach that puts UK first, doesn't have players sitting out to protect draft stock, doesn't argue with fans and doesn't blame everyone else for his failures.

Cal is a shell of himself, but this post that I quoted, is pretty messed up, you are acting like Cal created UK.

Cal will never win another title unless he changes pretty much everything he is doing, that ain't happening.

I mentioned the 40s for a reason. Of course I don't think Cal created UK. I think he was a well needed boost to a team/program that was/is going to struggle as the sport continues to go under drastic changes. It's not like we were killing it with Tubby or Billy G.

Dude please. That’s bullshit and you know it. Stick to your other points ie: offensive sets, defensive sets, lineups etc… those are more valid .Rome, Bilas, Vitale none of their opinions matter as much as the record of Cals body of work (see Son of Sauls above post)
It's only bullshit in your mind, but you're free to have your opinions. Cal is not a good bench coach and he certainly isn't a good X's and O's coach, if you can’t see that, that’s on you.

This is what I mean though.. last season was a pretty great season until we got upset. And it sure wasn't a good look, certainly for Cal. But it's bound to happen. I'd say last team was relevant, and then injuries hit. Maybe we should have beaten St. Peter's but we weren't going much past that unless Grady and Ty got healthy.
Indiana's had a bunch of would-could-should teams over the years as well, but they're still Indiana at the end of the day. Were they relevant in their would-could-should years?

Kentucky wasn't relevant in the St. Peter's year. No one remembers our 6 weeks of being a very good basketball team. They remember a loss in the first weekend to a 15 seed. That's Indiana-level garbage. You may think differently, but you're just one lone voice crying in the wilderness, surrounded by a multitude that points to a loss to a 15 seed. That's not relevancy. That's national-level embarrassment.

The sample size disagrees with your assertion. 7 years of Cal having a top 5 pick = a minimum of 32 wins, an average of 36+ wins per season, three 38-win seasons, 7 Elite Eights, 4 Final Fours, 2 runner-ups, 1 title.

In the years where he doesn't have those guys, he's averaging about 26 wins per season.

I suppose your assertion is true for other coaches, but it's not true for Calipari. He does his best work when he has elite players, and most of his elite players have been freshmen.

In fairness.. some years that he has a top5 pick.. He also has another top5 pick.. Wall and cousins.. AD and MKG.. some of his classes were truly elite. Others not so much.

Regardless.. it seems he will have a top5 draft pick next year. He at least has 3 top5ish recruits.. and that falls in line with his best classes..

Indiana's had a bunch of would-could-should teams over the years as well, but they're still Indiana at the end of the day. Were they relevant in their would-could-should years?

Kentucky wasn't relevant in the St. Peter's year. No one remembers our 6 weeks of being a very good basketball team. They remember a loss in the first weekend to a 15 seed. That's Indiana-level garbage. You may think differently, but you're just one lone voice crying in the wilderness, surrounded by a multitude that points to a loss to a 15 seed. That's not relevancy. That's national-level embarrassment.

Kentucky wasn't relevant in the St. Peter's year?

Lol.

I mentioned the 40s for a reason. Of course I don't think Cal created UK. I think he was a well needed boost to a team/program that was/is going to struggle as the sport continues to go under drastic changes. It's not like we were killing it with Tubby or Billy G.
But those guys were either fired or forced out because they couldn't cut it anymore.

Cal obviously can't cut it anymore either. It was a good run and he stockpiled the NBA with UK guys, which I'll always be grateful for, but there will be no more glory days for Calipari at the end of this rainbow. After this next season of invariable failure, he needs to move on.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "relevant."

In contention to win a title. They were looking very good when they were healthy.

Either way, if you can't look at last year, and at least say "Cal has this team looking very good on the regular season".. while still giving him rightful criticisms.. if you you're just going to say he totally failed and didn't do anything good, pretending that we were some bad team all year.. then I don't really have much else to talk to you about in regards to basketball.

I don’t think Cal is trying to burn the program to the ground. I do think he’s more concerned with draft night and his players careers after UK than winning games however.

I think he still wants to win but it’s just a secondary objective to him.

I also think it’s possible he gave up on making winning the primary goal after getting screwed over by the ncaa and higgins repeatedly.

That said i think he’s had a major role in what college basketball has become. I think hard committing to pushing these kids out to make money as soon as possible had a big part in NIL eventually getting pushed through.

And that could eventually lead to the death of the ncaa as we know it because there’s no possible way for them to police this and continue to try and manipulate the competitive balance in the sport to their liking.

And another thing, Cal’s coaching just isn’t that good. He was great at one point. But he may have been a one trick pony. And now that the rest of college basketball has figured him out, he’s getting exposed.

On Morg, our mods have it so backwards. I’ve never seen Morg post anything remotely crossing the line as far as UK basketball goes. But they let rival fans come on here and get away with trashing the program, our fans, and just generally shit stir for years without doing anything.

Solid post. Anyone that laughed at it is a ****ing moron. Pretty much as balanced as it gets.

It's only bullshit in your mind, but you're free to have your opinions. Cal is not a good bench coach and he certainly isn't a good X's and O's coach, if you can’t see that, that’s on you.
Im not even arguing with you whether Cal is a good coach or not. You’re so eaten up with Cal you can’t think straight. C’mon man,

I think it’s funny how you act like coaches just come out and slam other coaches for being poor at their job.

Have you ever heard a coach call out another coach for sucking?

Tom Crean sucks, but Cal said he was great, does that mean Cal really thinks Tom Crean is great?

Dec 30th 2009. Just sayin… ;)

Reactions: kyjeff1
Some say Morg is not a man at all. That he's half skunkape. Naked as a jaybird. Swims with his feet up out of the water and paddles with his nostrils like octopi. Others, that he's full injun and once kilt 5 trappers with nothing but the leg bone of a snapping turtle. On warm summer days when the wind dies down and the insects go quiet, they say you can hear him crying, still, on account of his long lost love sunk in quicksand. She was a big girl from out of New Orleans, they say. Nobody never knowed why she was out there on the river that day.

Eh, not sure why some want to give random posters martyr and hero-like status just because they may not be able to post for a few days. He posts all day in almost every thread and as someone else said, he craves to be the "main event." We're adults here. We should be able to handle posting without constantly getting banned and needing to change our identity over and over again.

I'm sure he's a good dude, but can we chill on pretending like he deserves the Medal of Freedom or something? Lol. "hE tElLs It LiKe It Is." No, he gives his opinion like we all do.
Facts.
He's on the side who despise cal so you will hear them take up for thems hewo!!!

Bilas. Rome. Vitale. None of their opinions matter as much as simply looking at the following: 22-12 and a second round exit after a St. Peter's loss in the first round after a 9-16 campaign.

Three consecutive years of suckage.

It really speaks for itself, doesn't it?
People do amaze me, the lengths they go to defend Cal's awful coaching. Guys like Vitale and Bilas only praise Cal because they want the fans to lower their standards.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT