ADVERTISEMENT

When is UK due to play in the Great Alaskan Shootout again?

Robcatt24

♩♪♫♬♭♮♯°ø؂≠≭
Gold Member
Sep 17, 2005
The Alaskan tourney ranks right up there with Maui as my favorite early season tournament.

I thought they got rid of that tournament? I might be wrong though. Anyways cal hates those early season tournaments.

USC was the "headliner" last year so no time soon but I get where you're coming from, it was something I always looked forward to as a kid (along with the UKIT). It meant school was on break and Christmas was coming.

Reactions: StevieJFTW07
nobody plays in that anymore, it used to be just them and Maui so they still got some good teams, now there are too many options to play near the north pole in november

Reactions: StevieJFTW07
Worthless tournament these days with sub par competition. Cal and UK have found other ways to play better teams early in season without having to go all the way up and out there.

Too risky. Tai Wynward would never leave. Not because he got lost, but because he'd use his lumberjack prowess to build a cabin in the woods and begin life anew, living off the land as a simple mountain man.

Reactions: Mr_GG
Derick Miller hitting 7 threes in a row was great. Seem i remember us being upset in the alaskan shootout one year.

The Alaskan tourney ranks right up there with Maui as my favorite early season tournament.

When the best schools start going back. Some years the talent level was better at the UKIT then there.

When they find Wayne Turner.

Wayne ended up taking the experience he gained from that trip and started a career as a professional snowmobile rider.

SPTmclafferty01P010013.jpg

Why play in AK when you can schedule games in better venues, against better competition, AND split the gate 50/50 instead of 8 ways?

Never. It is basically a mid-major tournament now. Since Cal has been at UK I think only four Power5 conference teams have even competed in it and includes dreadful Washington St two times.

We are 8-1 all time in the GAS and our lone loss was to National Runner Up Seton Hall in 1988.

JB

Thought I read somewhere that ESPN ran it into the ground, tourney officials wouldn't play nice with them. I remember listening to WHAS back in Texas during the Title game against Jeff Ruland, Jimmy V and Iona back in '79 or '80.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT