ADVERTISEMENT

Wheeler injury seems more suspicious with transfer

uk78

All-American
Feb 6, 2003
It sure suggests that he had no injury and did quit. If this is ever discovered to be the real truth, along with Sharpe I say Cal should be suspended. How do you allow the University to be taken advantage of in such a way? They are paying scholarships and there is a responsibility attached for the players.

It sure suggests that he had no injury and did quit. If this is ever discovered to be the real truth, along with Sharpe I say Cal should be suspended. How do you allow the University to be taken advantage of in such a way? They are paying scholarships and there is a responsibility attached for the players.
Players first.

Just curious ... how does his entering the portal suggest that he was not injured and quit ?? I'm not saying this is not the case, because I certainly do not know, but what supports your thesis ... other than speculation ??

Just curious ... how does his entering the portal suggest that he was not injured and quit ?? I'm not saying this is not the case, because I certainly do not know, but what supports your thesis ... other than speculation ??
Of course it is speculation as none of know for sure about injury or not. Yet, he didn't do the Senior night and unless it was emergency surgery it seemed odd that whatever might have been needed couldn't wait a day or week. Plus, he was observed jumping during the NCAA tournament game with no observable challenge. If he were not upset about his role then why transfer?

Mid-season we wanted Wheeler removed from the lineup and never to play again because he was supposedly costing us games. So why is anyone up in arms that he's leaving?

Mid-season we wanted Wheeler removed from the lineup and never to play again because he was supposedly costing us games. So why is anyone up in arms that he's leaving?
Another guy making stuff up. Most of the reasonable people here were just asking for his role to be relegated and him to be a spark off the bench for 10-15 mins per game max. It’s what I said since November. All you people heard when we said that was “I HATE WHEELER!!!”, though.

I'm glad he's gone. Whatever the reason. And what if Cal did protect him and let him ride out the season? Nothing wrong with that.

I heard someone say that Cal was protecting his NIL money. But that's not true. NIL money can't be tied to performance. If a company wants to pay for the use of the player's name, image or likeness they cannot demand a refund if the player doesn't play to their expectations.

Of course it is speculation as none of know for sure about injury or not. Yet, he didn't do the Senior night and unless it was emergency surgery it seemed odd that whatever might have been needed couldn't wait a day or week. Plus, he was observed jumping during the NCAA tournament game with no observable challenge. If he were not upset about his role then why transfer?
Most kids transfer to position themselves in better situations, primarily for playing time and a sense of being needed. I think we all agree on that. My only point was about whether he was truly injured and actually quit the team. He may not have been injured and actually have "quit" the team, but how do we know that unless we are explicitly told ?? Repeating, I am not surprised he is leaving and wish him well wherever he ends up. I also hope our PG situation next year does not become an issue because of inadequacy and depth. We'll see, of course.

I'm glad he's gone. Whatever the reason. And what if Cal did protect him and let him ride out the season? Nothing wrong with that.

I heard someone say that Cal was protecting his NIL money. But that's not true. NIL money can't be tied to performance. If a company wants to pay for the use of the player's name, image or likeness they cannot demand a refund if the player doesn't play to their expectations.
Can they if he quits/leaves the team, though?

Rupp Rafters: Wheeler sucks!

Also Rupp Rafters: How dare Wheeler transfer!

Even if Wheeler were in perfect health, it would make sense for him to transfer if Wagner, Dillingham, and Sheppard all attend UK.
I must have missed the people complaining —talking about it - yeah — but adios to the little quitting fire hydrant

I realize it is speculation, but not showing up for senior night because of what exactly? His butt or ankle shouldn't keep him from fan appreciation on senior night.

Last edited:
I realize it is speculation, but not showing up for senior night because of what exactly? Is butt or ankle shouldn't keep him from fan appreciation on senior night.
I agree. Not showing up for Senior Night is certainly a bad look and begs the question. Without knowing the facts about the medical procedure, I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Hopefully, the actual facts will sometime come out about the extent of his ankle injury and how critical it was to have the medical procedure the day of Senior Night. There is no question that missing Senior Night does not pass the smell test.

My guess would be protecting his transfer options. His stat line looks a lot better than it would if you added a bunch of appearances with 5 minutes per game in there. His averages would have plummeted and he likely wouldn't have the same options to transfer.

I agree. Not showing up for Senior Night is certainly a bad look and begs the question. Without knowing the facts about the medical procedure, I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Hopefully, the actual facts will sometime come out about the extent of his ankle injury and how critical it was to have the procedure the day of Senior Night. There is no question that missing Senior Night does not pass the smell test.
Guy allegedly sprains his ankle (I guess in practice, we never saw it) and we're never told how serious it was/ High ankle sprain? Avulsion fracture? Who knows. All we know is he's day to day. Then 5 weeks later he's still only 70% (even though the day before we were told he was ready to go), it must have been the most severe ankle sprain in the history of ankle sprains.

In the middle of this he has a "mystery procedure" on the morning of senior night that keeps him or his family from being in attendance.

Yeah, it does way more than not pass the smell test.

My guess would be protecting his transfer options. His stat line looks a lot better than it would if you added a bunch of appearances with 5 minutes per game in there. His averages would have plummeted and he likely wouldn't have the same options to transfer.
That's probably more likely. But teams know who he is as a player. He played 2 years at Ga and 2 seasons here. There's no mystery to his game.

What do you mean by "can't be tied to"? If he is not playing due to injury all is good.. If he has a "perceived attitude" problem his NIL opportunities will diminish. Not playing because of injury instead of attitude, could easily be protecting NIL.

What do you mean by "can't be tied to"? If he is not playing due to injury all is good.. If he has a "perceived attitude" problem his NIL will diminish. Not playing because of injury instead of attitude, could easily be protecting NIL.
Of course future NIL could go down. The person I heard mention it was in his having to give back the NIL money he had already received. He wouldn't.

Going forward it could mean a world of difference.

Just let it be. Some of y’all act like the scholly money comes out of your personal checking accounts.

Just let it be. Some of y’all act like the scholly money comes out of your personal checking accounts.
I don't care that he's leaving, the only thing I get a kick out of now is all the people that told us we were being jerks for not buying the injury story. Now they just won't wanna talk about it, or tell us to "just let it be."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT