ADVERTISEMENT

What's your worst experience with an animal in the wild?

Looks like Willy already shutdown the joke posts, so here is a serious (unremarkable) reply:

Was hiking the AT with a couple of buddies when it started pouring the rain as the sun went down. Rather than hike the extra couple of miles to reach a shelter, we decided to pitch a small tent and keep as dry as possible for the night.

Shortly after squeezing into the tent for what was sure to be a cold, miserable night of sporadic sleep, we heard it...

Just below the ridge something very large was rustling around in the brush. It was undoubtedly a black bear. We spent the rest of the night discussing what we should do about it and ultimately just laid there listening to the bastard huff and snort. Sounded a lot like the video below at the two-minute mark.

Reactions: Mossip
This is one of those true stories that is unlikely to be believed by everyone, or maybe anyone. But what the hell.

Back in the early 1990s I was driving with two other people in Western Saudi Arabia, near the resort city of Taif. There were some magnificent bluffs in a mountainous area, totally different from what people normally think of as Saudi Arabia. We pulled over our car to view the scenery, and I noticed a bunch of small monkey-like creatures that I later learned were juvenile baboons. I walked over to the edge of an escarpment to get a look at the valley floor, and noted the small baboons were getting very agitated -- almost hysterical.

As I stepped up on a large flat rock to peer over the edge, I suddenly saw a dozen or so full sized male Hamadryas Baboons charging up from a ledge below where I was standing. I backed off and walked rapidly out of what I assumed was their territory, hoping they'd back off, and protect the children. But it was too late. The baboons came spilling over the top of the cliff teeth bared and charging at me. These things were massive through the chest. Each one looked to weigh 100 pounds and they were terrifyingly aggressive.

The thought went through my mind that five minutes ago I had no idea there WERE baboons in Saudi Arabia, and now they were going to tear me apart. I turned on my heel and made a desperate sprint for the car. Luckily, a buddy was alert to what was happening and took the chance to open the back door. He later said the biggest, fastest baboon was swiping at my achilles tendon as I leaped into the seat and he shut the door behind me.

The baboons jumped up on the hood of the 'rented' car, denting and scratching it as they howled and vented their anger. After they eventually went away we sat in the car, totally shaken. A white Mercedes pulls up, and a Saudi in full headress and robes rolls his window down about three inches and says, 'Very dangerous! Stay in your car!" No shit, Mohammed. I wasn't going to get out again anytime soon.

Had to beat the crap out of this guy one time.
Patterson%E2%80%93Gimlin_film_frame_352.jpg
So, that was you! You owe me some money for doctor bills.

Was cleaning the spade spikes on my M110A1 Howitzer in the Saudi Desert when a sand viper poked his head out of the sand right next to me. Had one of my troops bring me an entrenching tool and I started whacking on it. Did not matter much, the sand was so soft it just went down in to it and got away. That was one of many encounters I have had with snakes. 2 sand vipers in Saudi, a den of rattlers in a training area of Ft. Sill OK where I was getting ready to do the field expedient method of a number 2 behind some bushes. Moved out rather quickly in 2 meanings here. 1 rattler in a building that stored petroleum products we issued out to the troops. Opened a big sliding door to go inside only to have a rattler coiled up just on the other side. It uncoiled went behind some storage shelves and I grabbed a shovel stored just inside the door, move the shelve, and went to town on him. This one did not get away. Stepped on a water moccasin last October while fishing at a small pond on FT. Sill. It was a chilly morning but sunny and my guess is it was just out for some sun. Movement was slow so, I got off quick.

Last edited:
Reactions: santamaria78
Hooked a otter fishing at night on Dale Hollow. Made the experience worse by bringing in the boat and trying to get the hooks out.

Not that this is bad experience but funny one. I was night fishing for Walleye on Laurel several years ago with a surface bait. I get hooked up and the line starts peeling off reel which a big walleye will do but in a minute I heard it breaking water which walleye don't do. So I am fighting it and hearing it break but can not see yet and I am thinking I got World Record Smallmouth bass on the line. After fighting and fighting it I get it close enough to the boat to get my green light on my hat to shine on it, I see I have hooked a Beaver in the tail!!!! It looks at me and I look it and well it obvious I ain't going to be trying to get my bait back so I just cut the line. In a few seconds I hear it walking up the bank into the woods with of the sound of my bait just rattling along as it walks off......

Reactions: VT/UK Rondo
Worse incident with wild animal happened on a golf course. My girlfriend kept calling so the last time she called I chucked the phone. A fox came grabbed the phone in its mouth and took off with it. Never saw the phone again.

This is one of those true stories that is unlikely to be believed by everyone, or maybe anyone. But what the hell.

Back in the early 1990s I was driving with two other people in Western Saudi Arabia, near the resort city of Taif. There were some magnificent bluffs in a mountainous area, totally different from what people normally think of as Saudi Arabia. We pulled over our car to view the scenery, and I noticed a bunch of small monkey-like creatures that I later learned were juvenile baboons. I walked over to the edge of an escarpment to get a look at the valley floor, and noted the small baboons were getting very agitated -- almost hysterical.

As I stepped up on a large flat rock to peer over the edge, I suddenly saw a dozen or so full sized male Hamadryas Baboons charging up from a ledge below where I was standing. I backed off and walked rapidly out of what I assumed was their territory, hoping they'd back off, and protect the children. But it was too late. The baboons came spilling over the top of the cliff teeth bared and charging at me. These things were massive through the chest. Each one looked to weigh 100 pounds and they were terrifyingly aggressive.

The thought went through my mind that five minutes ago I had no idea there WERE baboons in Saudi Arabia, and now they were going to tear me apart. I turned on my heel and made a desperate sprint for the car. Luckily, a buddy was alert to what was happening and took the chance to open the back door. He later said the biggest, fastest baboon was swiping at my achilles tendon as I leaped into the seat and he shut the door behind me.

The baboons jumped up on the hood of the 'rented' car, denting and scratching it as they howled and vented their anger. After they eventually went away we sat in the car, totally shaken. A white Mercedes pulls up, and a Saudi in full headress and robes rolls his window down about three inches and says, 'Very dangerous! Stay in your car!" No shit, Mohammed. I wasn't going to get out again anytime soon.

I was trying to think what movie this is from, but cant, so I'm gonna go ahead and mark it as true.

Don't really feel like anybody responded with anything that would constitute a legitimate conversation

Always puts a smile on my face when I see Willy has some input on thread.

I came out here to Tucson for my interview and was exploring after

I looked down and saw what looked like a cute little pig near a tennis court

So I think “COOL ITS GOT A LITTLE PETTING ZOO!!!!”

I walked fast and stiff legged towards that thing...grinning like an idiot...he looked a lot bigger from 30’ away

I got a bit closer and that’s when I knew something wasn’t right

No fence on this “petting zoo “....it was a wild javalena (kinda like a Razorback)....he got all stiff and stared me down

I just stood there and peed a little

Earlier in life (Tennessee ) I accidentally cornered a bull that got loose on our property- just trying it o get my stupid dog away from it....so naturally the bull charges me

I also rode around bell co Kentucky with 2 sticks of dynamite behind my drivers seat...safely lodged atop my blaring speakers (I was only 18....and dIdnt see the fuse that willy coyote always lit...figured it was safe)

I burned the fields down around my moms house twice growing up and .....

I’ve strayed from your topic haven’t I?

Came across black bears a couple of times, one in Yellowstone and one snoozing in a tree in Estes Park, CO...but neither were a real threat but cool to see.

But this guy was the worst...
ea6d8636422896800aa69bf7e8fa1097.jpg

Reactions: ZaytovenCat
1. While playing golf with a friend back in high school, I hit my ball really close to a water hazard. It landed about 6-inches away from a Canada goose nest filled with goose eggs.

As I got into position to hit my next shot, mother goose flew down out of nowhere and pecked me in the in my right shoulder. She then chased me back to the cart and even flew through it while honking hysterically. The dive bomb goose peck left a huge welt on my right shoulder.

3. Mowing my grandma's yard in middle school and hit the corner of her air conditioner. Inside was a nest of bumble bees. They chased me for several feet and I got stung no less than 10 times. Glad I'm not allergic.

About 2 years before my mother passed away she called me at school and said a snake was in her house. I hate snakes to say the least. She called the Sherriff's department and we finally found the snake about a 4' chicken snake FYI I was the chicken anyway I was finally able to grab ahold of the snakes tail and it was hanging on for dear life but finally was able to get it lose and put it in a trash can.

I am amazed at how afraid people are of snakes. Had one of them get in the boat on me too. Just a tiny green snake. I tossed it at the feet of my fishing buddy and he come unglued! Started screaming like a little girl, cussed me to peices and wouldn't hardly speak to me for weeks after that.

1. While playing golf with a friend back in high school, I hit my ball really close to a water hazard. It landed about 6-inches away from a Canada goose nest filled with goose eggs.

As I got into position to hit my next shot, mother goose flew down out of nowhere and pecked me in the in my right shoulder. She then chased me back to the cart and even flew through it while honking hysterically. The dive bomb goose peck left a huge welt on my right shoulder.

3. Mowing my grandma's yard in middle school and hit the corner of her air conditioner. Inside was a nest of bumble bees. They chased me for several feet and I got stung no less than 10 times. Glad I'm not allergic.
Shoulda made bumble bee tuna. Could have been worse and they could have been yellow jackets. They sting just for the fun of it. Bastards.

Several years ago my girlfriend and I went out west, touring. We stopped at this overlook of the Missouri river. As we walked out along the path I had to grab her, and pull her back. "Watch out! That's a rattlesnake!" I tell her. "That'snot a rattlesnake." she replies, where upon he starts buzzing.

That was my best story till last month. I was stepping off the boat dock when someone swatted me on the back of the leg with a stick. Knowing no one was behind me i spun and saw a water moccasin. He goes back under the dock. I lucked out, and he didn't envenomate me...much. Was at the hospital all night. i did get a touch of venom, and my foot turned blue. I couldn't walk for a month. A small boy was bitten by a pygmy rattler around the same time, and he needed 18 vials of anti venom.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT