ADVERTISEMENT

what order would you rank our coaches from first to last??

Well, it's my list. I think it's crazy for anyone to think that Tubby could coach at all. He left every program in worse shape than it was when he got there. He never had a winning record in any conference after he left UK. He was fired at 2 schools after UK. And left 2 more before he could be fired.

So, call me crazy! But at least I have reasons for my rankings and it's all performance based. Not some crazy love affair with a guy that couldn't coach.
Uh, have you seen BCG's resume since his firing from UK? He may be coaching at the Valdosta School for the Blind now leading that team to a stellar 2-26 record.

The issue is you removed one of caliparis final fours at UK.

He has 4 to halls 3. Hall also missed the ncaa 3 times to cals 2.

Not sure how people can rank hall ahead of cal based purely on stats and tenure at UK but respect your opinion.
I can see an argument of Cal over Hall.....but Hall missed the NCAA when it was a 32 team tourney.....so he likely would only miss one NCAA tournament if it was 64 teams. Also, Hall as a way longer assistant coach which he didn't even coach but 13 years to accumulate final fours....Cal has been coaching 30 years.

But I can concede Cal over Joe B....but Pitino....that is just nonsense.

Well, it's my list. I think it's crazy for anyone to think that Tubby could coach at all. He left every program in worse shape than it was when he got there. He never had a winning record in any conference after he left UK. He was fired at 2 schools after UK. And left 2 more before he could be fired.

So, call me crazy! But at least I have reasons for my rankings and it's all performance based. Not some crazy love affair with a guy that couldn't coach.
You are crazy.

Tubby improved Tulsa and Georgia. Tubby was getting old when he left Minnesota (where he was fairly successful compared to their past). Most coaches decline at that point.
Check out my list, I gave verifiable indisputable reasons for all 7. Most UK fans agree Tubby was a good in-game coach, certainly better than Cal, but thst his recruiting was bad. But recruiting is part of coaching. You can make a case for Tubby to be ahead of Hall, you can even make a better case for Tubby to be ahead of Cal than you can for Sutton or especially BCG to be better than Tubby.

And again, we aren’t basing on how guys coached away from UK (don’t care about that), only basing on how they coached at UK.

Reactions: Jont0805
1.Rupp
2.Pitino
3.Tubby
4.Hall
5.Cal
6.BCG
7.Sutton

Tubby at least knew when to leave. Cal has no clue. Same number of titles. Don’t care about Final Fours where we lost. Cal less than Tubby for blowing the perfect season with the best team almost ever.

Cal above BCG because of first years. Without those years Cal would be tied w BCG and nearly worse.

Eddie last for obvious NCAA issues. Plus he lost to John Thompson who was the way overrated and the worse Olympic coaches in history of US.

Last edited:
It’s very easy, it’s the correct ranking.
I'll give Cal a slight edge based on accomplishments but the coaching acumen isn't close. Pitino took over our the program on probation and brought it back from life support. Unless Cal changes trajectory we'll be back in the same position.
Cal's UK story isn't over and I'd imagine BBN perception of him will be heavily effected by the condition of the program when he leaves.

1. RUPP

2. Pitino
3. Joe B.
4. Tubby

5. Cal
5a. Eddie Sutton
5b. BCG.
This is pretty much the same for me. There's no way Cal should ever be above Rupp, Pitino or Joe B. You can debate whether he is better than Tubby, but I'd take Tubby. The last two are no-brainers.

Reactions: cathouse
Seen other people post the same but my gut instinct list was

Rupp
Pitino
Calipari
Hall
Tubby
Sutton
BCG

I don't think Calipari has much of an argument over Pitino at this point. Especially since the '98 title really should go on Pitino's ledger moreso than Tubby's.

After the first 5-6 years I would've said Cal was basically a shoe-in for at least #2 but the damage he's done to his legacy since then has been immense. So disappointing.

This is pretty much the same for me. There's no way Cal should ever be above Rupp, Pitino or Joe B. You can debate whether he is better than Tubby, but I'd take Tubby. The last two are no-brainers.

What Hall or Pitino accomplishment makes it to where it’s not even a debate with Cal???

Seen other people post the same but my gut instinct list was

Rupp
Pitino
Calipari
Hall
Tubby
Sutton
BCG

I don't think Calipari has much of an argument over Pitino at this point. Especially since the '98 title really should go on Pitino's ledger moreso than Tubby's.

After the first 5-6 years I would've said Cal was basically a shoe-in for at least #2 but the damage he's done to his legacy since then has been immense. So disappointing.

Pitino is not #2 behind Rupp.. lol There’s absolutely nothing to back that claim up with. You can’t give credit to Pitino for a title that was won while he was not the coach! 😂 These are the arguments that HAS to be made to even make a case for Pitino.

It’s always, if Pitino had Cal’s players, if Pitino didn’t bolt he would have had 37 titles. The argument for Pitino is never, ok here is his accomplishments at UK, judge him from that. It’s always ifs, buts and excuses.

In my lifetime;

1. Rupp by a mile
2. Cal
3.4. Pitino/Hall tie
5. Sutton
6. BCG

7. Tubby-shouldn't even be on the list but he did occupy the position.
You definitely don't know basketball and never comment again

Get your facts right, Tubby was only let go at Memphis

Joe B. did something that few have ever done successfully in following a larger than life legend and the ONLY Coach to ever win 876 games with less than 200 losses (190). He took over the program at a crucial time in the integration of the SEC with no program under that microscope more than ours and he did it gracefully with almost all Kentucky kids. He won the trust of the black community and he led the program to continued and even better overall excellence. He set the stage for those that followed to succeed and those that followed them to succeed.

In my humble opinion all different opinions are everyone’s right but the debate considering all comprehensive angles starts only after Coach Rupp and Joe B.

Pitino is not #2 behind Rupp.. lol There’s absolutely nothing to back that claim up with. You can’t give credit to Pitino for a title that was won while he was not the coach! 😂 These are the arguments that HAS to be made to even make a case for Pitino.

It’s always, if Pitino had Cal’s players, if Pitino didn’t bolt he would have had 37 titles. The argument for Pitino is never, ok here is his accomplishments at UK, judge him from that. It’s always ifs, buts and excuses.

-Pitino had a better winning percentage than anyone else on the list while having same amount of titles if a coach wins a more percentage of games overall and the same titles that sways it to Rick

-both took the program over in awful times, however pitino took Kentucky from basically the death penalty to the title with an entire different ballgame then when Cal did it so slight edge to pitino but not by much

-9-17 Pitino could coach 100 years at Kentucky and wouldn’t go 9-17.

-you absolutely have to factor in where they leave the program. Pitino left the team with enough talent to win a title. Cal will more than likely leave the team with zero scholarship players when he exits.

It’s not a big as a gap as some are making it out to be, but there is no question pitinos Kentucky tenure is better than Cal’s. Had Cal quit in 2015 they would probably be closer to each other but still gotta factor in that 2013 NIT season which Pitino never had minus the probation would still give slight edge to Rick.

Are you on crack? Seriously!

Below is that "claim backed up" 100%!

Below are the rankings (excluding Rupp, Sutton and BCG) putting the other 4 coaches in order (best to worst) for each category; also only consider eligible seasons for NCAA-T so not 90,91,20):

Championships (at UK): Pitino 1 in 6 seasons, Tubby 1 in 10 seasons, Hall 1 in 13 seasons, Cal 1 in 13 seasons
Championship games: Pitino 2 in 6, Hall 2 in 13, Cal 2 in 13, Tubby 1 in 10
Final 4's: Pitino 3 in 6, Cal 4 in 13, Hall 3 in 13, Tubby 1 in 10
Elite 8's: Pitino 5 in 6, Cal 7 in 13, Hall 6 in 13, Tubby 4 in 10
NCAA missed: Tubby 0 in 10, Pitino 0 in 6, Cal 2 in 13, Hall 3* in 13 (* only 25, 32, 40 teams invited)
.500 or worse: Tubby 0 in 10, Hall 1 in 13, Cal 1 in 14, Pitino 1 in 8
#1 NCAA seed: Pitino 4 in 6, Hall 2 in 6*, Cal 3 in 13, Tubby 2 in 10 (* unsure of seeding before expansion, but speculate Hall had a #1 seed in 1 of those 7 years)
#1 or #2 NCAA seed: Pitino 5 in 6, Tubby 5 in 10, Hall 3 in 6*, Cal 6 in 13 (* speculate Hall had a top 2 seed in 3 of those 7 pre-expansion years)
#1/#2/#3 NCAA seed: Pitino 6 in 6, Hall 4 in 6, Tubby 6 in 10, Cal 6 in 13 (* speculate Hall had 3 in those 7 pre-expansion years)
SEC titles: Tubby 7 in 10, Pitino 5 in 8, Hall 8 in 13, Cal 6 in 14
.800+ seasons: Pitino 6 in 8, Cal 6 in 14, Tubby 4 in 10, Hall 5 in 13

So Pitino is > Cal in 10 out of 11 categories.
Even Hall and Tubby both look pretty equal to Cal in # of categories, then it just depends on which categories you place more value on.

Are you on crack? Seriously!

Below is that "claim backed up" 100%!

Below are the rankings (excluding Rupp, Sutton and BCG) putting the other 4 coaches in order (best to worst) for each category; also only consider eligible seasons for NCAA-T so not 90,91,20):

Championships (at UK): Pitino 1 in 6 seasons, Tubby 1 in 10 seasons, Hall 1 in 13 seasons, Cal 1 in 13 seasons
Championship games: Pitino 2 in 6, Hall 2 in 13, Cal 2 in 13, Tubby 1 in 10
Final 4's: Pitino 3 in 6, Cal 4 in 13, Hall 3 in 13, Tubby 1 in 10
Elite 8's: Pitino 5 in 6, Cal 7 in 13, Hall 6 in 13, Tubby 4 in 10
NCAA missed: Tubby 0 in 10, Pitino 0 in 6, Cal 2 in 13, Hall 3* in 13 (* only 25, 32, 40 teams invited)
.500 or worse: Tubby 0 in 10, Hall 1 in 13, Cal 1 in 14, Pitino 1 in 8
#1 NCAA seed: Pitino 4 in 6, Hall 2 in 6*, Cal 3 in 13, Tubby 2 in 10 (* unsure of seeding before expansion, but speculate Hall had a #1 seed in 1 of those 7 years)
#1 or #2 NCAA seed: Pitino 5 in 6, Tubby 5 in 10, Hall 3 in 6*, Cal 6 in 13 (* speculate Hall had a top 2 seed in 3 of those 7 pre-expansion years)
#1/#2/#3 NCAA seed: Pitino 6 in 6, Hall 4 in 6, Tubby 6 in 10, Cal 6 in 13 (* speculate Hall had 3 in those 7 pre-expansion years)
SEC titles: Tubby 7 in 10, Pitino 5 in 8, Hall 8 in 13, Cal 6 in 14
.800+ seasons: Pitino 6 in 8, Cal 6 in 14, Tubby 4 in 10, Hall 5 in 13

So Pitino is > Cal in 10 out of 11 categories.
Even Hall and Tubby both look pretty equal to Cal in # of categories, then it just depends on which categories you place more value on.

Pitino left after only a few seasons so most of what you typed is irrelevant to who is better. Take Pitino’s 6 years here and Cal’s first 6 years here and that tells the story.

Of course, Cal has coached Uk twice as long as Pitino so he will have some failures Pitino didn’t. Pitino wasn’t here long enough. Pitino’s sample size isn’t even long enough to evaluate to be honest.

Then factor in Cal absolutely destroying Pitino in head to head after Cal came to Uk and Cal being the reason Pitino resorted to cheating, yeah I’d say Cal has the upper hand in every aspect of coaching. Cal just absolutely bent Pitino over his knee routinely. 😁

• Haha
If X’s and O’s from other coaches beats our talent, at least that’s the claim, why was Ricks X’s and O’s at UL never good enough to overcome our talent??? 😆

Pitino left after only a few seasons so most of what you typed is irrelevant to who is better. Take Pitino’s 6 years here and Cal’s first 6 years here and that tells the story.

Of course, Cal has coached Uk twice as long as Pitino so he will have some failures Pitino didn’t. Pitino wasn’t here long enough. Pitino’s sample size isn’t even long enough to evaluate to be honest.

Then factor in Cal absolutely destroying Pitino in head to head after Cal came to Uk and Cal being the reason Pitino resorted to cheating, yeah I’d say Cal has the upper hand in every aspect of coaching. Cal just absolutely bent Pitino over his knee routinely. 😁
Pitino was at UK for 8 years, not 6. 8 years is plenty (just 2 less than Tubby coached)
And I was not comparing those categories by the # of successes or failures, because you are right the # of years would greatly affect that. I was comparing them based on the % of successes or failures. Pitino made the F4 50% of the seasons UK was eligible for the tourney, Cal <33%.
Yeah, Cal was just as good (very similar resume's) his first 6-8 years at UK (I think it would be a coin flip to pick them 6 or 8 years ago). But the past 6 have been worse than Hall or Tubby. You can't just ignore those 6 years (cherry-picking), they happened.

And you are stupid if you think talent alone wins, or if think coaching alone wins. It takes both. And you can't deny it's easier to bring in talent to UK than to UL. And you are ignoring that Pitino has not played Cal the past 6 unsuccessful seasons, the seasons that has turned Cal's UK tenure from Pitino-like to Hall/Tubby-like. I hate to say it, but had he remained at U6 those 6 years, he probably would have made their head-to-head closer to even.

What Hall or Pitino accomplishment makes it to where it’s not even a debate with Cal???
You shouldn't even have to ask that question. Hall followed a legend, won a championship, left the program in better shape and was a lifetime, well respected ambassador for our program. Pitino resurrected the program from probation, won a championship, almost won another, and left the program in much better shape with players that won a championship the following year.

Pitino was at UK for 8 years, not 6. 8 years is plenty (just 2 less than Tubby coached)
And I was not comparing those categories by the # of successes or failures, because you are right the # of years would greatly affect that. I was comparing them based on the % of successes or failures. Pitino made the F4 50% of the seasons UK was eligible for the tourney, Cal <33%.
Yeah, Cal was just as good (very similar resume's) his first 6-8 years at UK (I think it would be a coin flip to pick them 6 or 8 years ago). But the past 6 have been worse than Hall or Tubby. You can't just ignore those 6 years (cherry-picking), they happened.

And you are stupid if you think talent alone wins, or if think coaching alone wins. It takes both. And you can't deny it's easier to bring in talent to UK than to UL. And you are ignoring that Pitino has not played Cal the past 6 unsuccessful seasons, the seasons that has turned Cal's UK tenure from Pitino-like to Hall/Tubby-like. I hate to say it, but had he remained at U6 those 6 years, he probably would have made their head-to-head closer to even.

If you want to count the probation years, that’s up to you. I don’t count those years.

Again, it’s always IF Pitino did this or that. Here’s one for ya.

If Pitino didn’t choose to be a Pedo and hire prostitutes for underage recruits in an attempt to keep up with Cal, he would have coached those past 6 seasons and might have made the head to head closer. But he didn’t so it still stands, Cal’s talent is/was way better than Pitino can coach.

They both left the program better than they found it.

And, neither stayed so long they wore out their welcome.

Both put UK program first.

They both definitely left the program better than they found it, I’m not denying that. All I’m saying is, accomplishment wise, they haven’t done anything that one ups Cal. Cal is currently still coaching so you can’t use the “they left the program better than they found it” because Cal hasn’t left yet. That’s a baseless argument.

No one is defending what sleazy stuff Pitino did at U6.
Just pointing out that you compared Cal's best to Pitino, and not considering Cal's worst.
Yes, Cal at his best was comparable (arguably better) than Pitino's best.
Cal's worst has not been good, and we didn't see Pitino's worst while at UK.
And once again, most of us on this topic are only considering what the coach did at UK (so no Sutton at Ark or Ok St, no Tubby at Tulsa or UGA or Minn or TTU, no Cal at Mass or Memphis, and no Pitino at Prov or U6).

You don't want to count the probation years? That's more cherry-picking by you. Don't count Pitino's first 2 years, and don't count Cal's last 6 years 🤣. And what he did those 2 years was IMO just as impressive and as impactful on the program as the last 6 years, those 2 years is what made the next 7 years possible.

As to the "left the program better (or no worse) than they found it". Well that's an interesting way to look at it.
Did Hall really do that? I mean he was 18-13 his last year.
Pitino really did do that. But we were in our darkest hole ever, so really no room to go but up.
Cal found us in a unlit hole too. And we, even now, are still better off than we were then (I know some disagree with that though).
And Tubby, he inherited a program at it's peak (ceiling). Really pretty much impossible to leave it better off, and extremely difficult to leave it as good. But he left it arguably as good as Hall did, and (TBD) maybe as good as Cal will (if he doesn't turn things around).

Tubby and Joe B. were not obnoxious assholes to the BBN, so advantage to them over Cal on that front, too.

Reactions: crestcat
Rupp (obvious)
Pitino (3 FF and a 1NC in 8 seasons)
Calipari (slipping fast and might fall behind Hall)
Hall
Tubby
BCG
Sutton (he gets negative for the scandal)

They both definitely left the program better than they found it, I’m not denying that. All I’m saying is, accomplishment wise, they haven’t done anything that one ups Cal. Cal is currently still coaching so you can’t use the “they left the program better than they found it” because Cal hasn’t left yet. That’s a baseless argument.
Not a baseless argument.
We all know the current status of this program under Cal.

Do you really think the coach who got us in this position is going to suddenly change who he is so that the program can recover??

If so, I'll have some of what you are smoking or drinking. The downward trend continues under Cal.

5 years ago I would have...but that was 5 years ago
I think Cal is going to have to start recruiting like he used to years ago if he’s going to get out of this slump. Anyone that remembers his teams at UMass and Memphis know what I’m talking about.

I may be wrong but I feel like if Cal starts recruiting more players that will play 3-4 years, runs more of an nba style offense, I think that things would improve tremendously.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT