ADVERTISEMENT

what order would you rank our coaches from first to last??

Cal looked like he'd leapfrogged Pitino as the easy #2 behind Rupp in his first six seasons here.
I still think a lot of the bashing of him was overblown prior to the 9-16 season and St. Peters loss the following year, but the last few seasons have really hurt his legacy.

I'd still have him at #3 on the list just by virtue of having 4 Final Fours along with his championship, but if people want to make their arguments for Joe B or Tubby after the last few seasons I could understand it.

Reactions: K_TIME
Cal has been to four final fours here at UK... Plus two others at UMass and Memphis. Cal's overall resume is way better than Joe B.

I also find it funny that a whole helluva lot of Kentuckians would say... "But they were upset with mean tweets!" about a certain someone while offering their undying support (not necessarily including you in that group)... Yet we hear the disdain all the time for how Cal is an "a-hole" to the fans. Just an interesting parallel.
Well if we’re including other programs as part of their resume

Rick got providence to final four
Rick also got a championship at UL (blotted out after the fact ….but he still won it) and another final four at UL

So he still is better then a cal on full resume of Ky only resume IMO

Rick also got a championship at UL (blotted out after the fact ….but he still won it) and another final four at UL

The issue is you removed one of caliparis final fours at UK.

He has 4 to halls 3. Hall also missed the ncaa 3 times to cals 2.

Not sure how people can rank hall ahead of cal based purely on stats and tenure at UK but respect your opinion.

The issue is you removed one of caliparis final fours at UK.

He has 4 to halls 3. Hall also missed the ncaa 3 times to cals 2.

Not sure how people can rank hall ahead of cal based purely on stats and tenure at UK but respect your opinion.
But 2 of Hall's misses were when it was 1 school per league (right?).

1 & 2 (Rupp & Pitino, in whatever order) should be indisputable.
Same for 6 & 7 (Sutton & BCG)
3-5 you can make a case for different orderings (of Hall, Tubby, Cal)

Reactions: susan2361
I don’t understand how you guys can rank Cal over Pitino.
Because they are children that’s the only explanation.

I’m gonna go like this with ranking out coaches. The AI ranked rupp 3rd all time so anyone not putting him at the top of the list is woody woodpecker, insane, or a fool.

Rupp
Pitnio

Cal
Hall
Tubby

Bcg
Sutton

First let me say you have to look at everything you can’t just look at success. Honestly cal is only slightly better maybe even with Hall. Hall didn’t have near the talent Cals had. Hall had some bad losses but never a losing season. The level of suck cal in 2020 is on scale with winning two titles. That’s how rare and colosal that season was. Sutton too had a losing season and destroyed our program. I think this season will see hall jump cal.

the reason I don't have Rupp higher is the era he coached in and he was horrid in later years
Alright this guy has no idea about ukbb. Should have to pass some kind of exam to post as a UK fan imo. Rupp?? Horrid??? Horrid is the last 3 years. Rupp never came close to that. UK may not have won a title in the 60s but he was in the thick of it almost every year, after winning 4 titles. Cal won A title and can be labeled as an actual loser now. The only coach since pre rupp to have a losing season not caused by ncaa sanctions. That’s your hero. The one you try to belittle a legend for. Ridiculous.

Cal looked like he'd leapfrogged Pitino as the easy #2 behind Rupp in his first six seasons here.
I still think a lot of the bashing of him was overblown prior to the 9-16 season and St. Peters loss the following year, but the last few seasons have really hurt his legacy.

I'd still have him at #3 on the list just by virtue of having 4 Final Fours along with his championship, but if people want to make their arguments for Joe B or Tubby after the last few seasons I could understand it.
Joe B I can understand but I honestly can't see any way to reasonably make a case for Tubby over Cal. 4 final 4's vs 1 is hard to ignore.

Reactions: cat tat2
Joe B I can understand but I honestly can't see any way to reasonably make a case for Tubby over Cal. 4 final 4's vs 1 is hard to ignore.

I personally wouldn't rank Tubby above Cal, but the argument I've seen people make is that Cal has had lower lows than Tubby.

Reactions: JonathanW

Not arguing about ole RP... It's a close call between him and Cal. Not so much in my opinion when it comes to Cal and Joe B.

That's crazy to have BCG or Sutton ahead of Tubby.
Well, it's my list. I think it's crazy for anyone to think that Tubby could coach at all. He left every program in worse shape than it was when he got there. He never had a winning record in any conference after he left UK. He was fired at 2 schools after UK. And left 2 more before he could be fired.

So, call me crazy! But at least I have reasons for my rankings and it's all performance based. Not some crazy love affair with a guy that couldn't coach.

1. Rupp - established everything
2. Pitino - resurrected our dead program. Give the man the credit he earned and quit being butt hurt that he went to Louisville.
3. Joe B Hall -Followed a Legend and recruited and coached the single best team in UK history, a team full of local players.
4. Calipari
5. Tubby - Won with Pitino's players, but won a title none the less.
6. Sutton - crashed our program
7. BCG - Not sure how Barnhart survived this hire

comparing what they all accomplished, or didn't accomplish is the obvious way to do it, but on the Tubby or Cal debate, with two days to prepare, and having the same players, which one would you want coaching in a win or go home scenario? Cal or Tubby?

comparing what they all accomplished, or didn't accomplish is the obvious way to do it, but on the Tubby or Cal debate, with two days to prepare, and having the same players, which one would you want coaching in a win or go home scenario? Cal or Tubby?
Cal. I say just look at their elite 8 records as evidence.

Last edited:
1. Rupp
2. Pitino
3. Tubby
4. Joe B
5. Calipari
6. Sutton

I expect to be trashed, but my list is based on coaches who I think did a lot more with less. Calipari *could* have been way up there, but he's been lazy for a long time, and made this all about himself and his NBA goals. I can't forgive that.

Tier one:
Rupp, Pitino

Tier two:
Cal, Smith, Hall

Tier three:
Brumage, Park, Boles, Buchheit, Applegran, Eklund, Mauer

Tier four:
Mustaine, Sweetland, Iddings, Tuttle, Gill, Tigert, Hayden, Sutton

Tier five:

ghows-TX-49465538-2866-41e2-90b1-97fcc7c6b102-6941b596.jpeg

It’s very easy, it’s the correct ranking.
False.

This is the correct ranking:

Rupp
Pitino
Tubby/Cal
Joe B
Sutton
Ray Eklund
Stanley Boles
Alpha Brumage
John Mauer
George Burchheit
Clarence Applegran
James Park
John Tigert
Edwin Streetland (his winning percentage is over-rated, imo)
W.W.H. Mustaine
Basil Hayden
AIDS
Paper straws
Child poverty
Mitch Barnhart throwing a party
Hitler
Pol Pot
Billy Gillispie

In my lifetime;

1. Rupp by a mile
2. Cal
3.4. Pitino/Hall tie
5. Sutton
6. BCG

7. Tubby-shouldn't even be on the list but he did occupy the position.

How can you love John Calipari no matter what but not be able to put Tubby on a list when he won a title, but can put BCG on the list. Absolutely laughable.

And before you say he did it with Rick’s players and talent…..

It is without question that John Calipari has had more talent than the other coaches combined yet has the same amount of titles as a guy you can’t even put on your list? So just because someone has talent obviously that means nothing.

This has to be personal with u and tubby lol

Cal. I say just look at their elite 8 records as evidence. **********************************ALL DAY LONG I LOSE AND REGAIN POSTING PRIVLEGES I HAVE BROKEN NO RULES AND I NEVER RECIEVE ANY KIND OF COMMUNICATION. DOES ANYONE ELSE EVER EXPERIENCE THIS? ********************************************************
Sorry man, but I can't stop laughing at your posts, it's like you have touretts syndrome. 🤣

Let me ask you this, are you getting a prompt that tells you you have to wait a certain amount of time before you can post a comment after you have posted a different comment?

WHAT IS IT TELLING YOUUUUUU? 😂😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: NociHTTP
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT