ADVERTISEMENT

what order would you rank our coaches from first to last??

ikNAE6d.png

the reason I don't have Rupp higher is the era he coached in and he was horrid in later years
Until Joe B took over the coaching. They said Rupp only knew the names of the starters. He asked the players who took their place. He just banked wins the last few years. Wish we had a Good Assistant Coach that could take over for our Lost Coach.

I don’t understand how you guys can rank Cal over Pitino.
Agreed...100%

1. Rupp (Titles and win % are league of his own)
2. Pitino (took over from scrap heap....not only won it all in 1996 but that was one of all time dominate teams. 2 other final fours, the 1992 elite eight loss was best game in college b-ball history and left Tubby a full deck he rode to a ring.
Big drop to
3. Hall (1 title and 3 final fours....beat elite Indiana team in 1975...which enhanded rivalry and pissed off Bobby Knight). Missed NCAA 3 times ....but was a 32 team tournament until 1985. So he never missed 64 team NCAAA tourney.
4. Cal...I can either way with Cal or Joe B. 1 title and 3 final fours. But he's missed 2 NCAA 64 team and is crapping the bed the further he goes. And he's an all around a-hole to fanbase IMO.
Decent drop to Tubby

5. Tubby
6. Sutton
Big drop to Billy

I have no words to put Cal over Pitino....not even in same zip code.

Last edited:
Agreed...100%

2. Pitino (took over from scrap heap....not only won it all in 1996 but that was one of all time dominate teams. 2 other final fours, the 1992 elite eight loss was best game in college b-ball history and left Tubby a full deck he rode to a ring.
Big drop to
3. Hall (1 title and 3 final fours....beat elite Indiana team in 1975...which enhanded rivalry and pissed off Bobby Knight). Missed NCAA 3 times ....but was a 32 team tournament until 1985. So he never missed 64 team NCAAA tourney.
4. Cal...I can either way with Cal or Joe B. 1 title and 3 final fours. But he's missed 2 NCAA 64 team and is crapping the bed the further he goes. And he's an all around a-hole to fanbase IMO.
Decent drop to Tubby

5. Tubby
6. Sutton
Big drop to Billy

I can’t make my mind up between Cal and Hall. As great as Cal did in the beginning, it’s crazy how big of a drop he’s had recently. No one would have believed it 7-8 years ago that he would have had a 9–16 season, loss to Saint Peter’s in the tournament, lost at home to Evansville, etc.

I can’t make my mind up between Cal and Hall. As great as Cal did in the beginning, it’s crazy how big of a drop he’s had recently. No one would have believed it 7-8 years ago that he would have had a 9–16 season, loss to Saint Peter’s in the tournament, lost at home to Evansville, etc.
Agreed....they are tight call between Hall adn Cal and I can see either way. But for those putting Pitino behind Cal.....I have no words. It's not even a debate. I know Rick was a jerk of a rival coach at times....but on court he's far above Cal.

Rick can coach full court press, match up zone and half court man to man defense. Small ball 3pt offense, big man led/post and score, then off the dribble/drive, etc... He is so much more versatile than Cal....it's not even close.

Part of the hate for Rick is he is all about Rick Pitino...which when you think of what Cal does...his ass kissing for players is why we fall short so often. He is so much focused on 'players first' that the program is a mess now (we literally have 7 players today as Cal is waitng for kids to do their thing vs. working for UK). Rick is about he doing his job first and not fixated on NBA....which in the end, helps the program...which is what I care about most.

Last edited:
Agreed....they are tight call and I can see either way. But for those putting Pitino behind Cal.....I have no words. It's not even a debate. I know Rick was a jerk of a rival coach at times....but on court he's far above Cal.
You got some younger guys that didn’t get to watch the Pitino years and then you got some older guys that hate Rick for going to Louisville….Then we got a select few that love Cal so much that they can’t be rational at all. Lol

Reactions: Jont0805 and K_TIME
1- Pitino 8 seasons. Took over team with 1st losing record in decades, going on probation. Went a surprising .500 1st year, 2nd year tied for SEC title while on probation, after that in 6 seasons had 4 #1 seeds, a #2, & a #3 seed with 1 title, 1 runner-up, 1 F4 (so 3 of them), and 2 E8's, so only 1 of eligible teams did not make the E8 - returned Camelot
2- Rupp 41 seasons. built Camelot! 4 NCAA championships plus 2 Helms & 1 NIT when that meant something, 1 runner-up, 1 F4 (so 6 total), & 8 E8's. All-time wins leader for over 2 decades. Was at the helm for 1-season probation (not for cheating, but the opposite). But his last 14 years only had 1 F4/runner-up.
---gap---
3- Cal 14 seasons. took over program struggling. 1 title, 1 runner-up, 2 F4, 3 E8's. 3 #1 seeds, 3 #2, 2 #4, a #5, a #6, a #8. 1 Canceled tourney (so NA). But 2 missed NCAA's, including only the 2nd losing record over past 95 seasons, and the worst NCAA tourney loss in school history. Before 20-21, Cal was on the other side of the "---gap---".
4- Tubby 10 seasons. took program in great condition. 1 title, 3 E8's. 2 #1 seeds, 3 #2, a #3, a #4, a #5, & 2 #8, never missed NCAA, 1/2 his teams one of the favorites (top 8), 8 of 10 had a fair chance (top 20). But only the 1 F4.
5- Hall 13 seasons. took reigns from a legend. 1 title, 1 runner-up, 1 F4 (so 3 of them), 3 E8's. Once touney expanded had 2 #1 seeds, a #2, #3, #6, & #12 seed. Did have 1 team go .500, 1 more miss NCAA before expansion, & 1 miss NCAA after expansion.
---gap---
6- Sutton 4 seasons. 1 E8. A #1 seed, a #2, a #8, and 1 missed NCAA with first losing record over past 61 seasons. Was at the helm when put on probation.
7- BCG 2 seasons. #11 seed, & missed NCAA. the easiest to place, distant 7th.

You could easily swap Rupp & Pitino, or Tubby & Hall.

I ONLY look at their time coaching UK; do NOT consider what they did BEFORE or AFTER UK.
And these are based on team performance, NOT coaching ability. Cal would drop to 6th in that area.

Last edited:
Reactions: crestcat
Why? What is the justification for that?

We went from Vinny Zollo and Dakota Euton to John Wall and Demarcus Cousins in the matter of days. People forget just how bad our program was when Cal took over and made us instantly the coolest team in all of sports and instantly in the national title conversation. He has done more for the university and the state of Ky than maybe any coach. He brought us a title and lots and lots of wins including beat down after beat down on Pitino’s cards. Cal being the reason Rick ever cheated automatically puts him above Pitino. Pitino hasn’t achieved one thing in his career, anywhere he’s ever coached to get technical about it, that Cal hasn’t.

Now, currently, I think it’s time for him to depart but overall, he is leaps and bounds above Pitino.

• Haha
Reactions: Jont0805
We went from Vinny Zollo and Dakota Euton to John Wall and Demarcus Cousins in the matter of days. People forget just how bad our program was when Cal took over and made us instantly the coolest team in all of sports and instantly in the national title conversation. He has done more for the university and the state of Ky than maybe any coach. He brought us a title and lots and lots of wins including beat down after beat down on Pitino’s cards. Cal being the reason Rick ever cheated automatically puts him above Pitino. Pitino hasn’t achieved one thing in his career, anywhere he’s ever coached to get technical about it, that Cal hasn’t.

Now, currently, I think it’s time for him to depart but overall, he is leaps and bounds above Pitino.
I remember how bad it was, that's why I put Cal ahead of Tubby and Hall. But look at the RESULTS. What did all of that talent get us? No more than what Pitino did, in almost twice as many seasons. And Pitino did not have the failure of the past 3 seasons, he only had 1 team that was not within 1 game of the Final 4.
And people forget how bad it was for Pitino, inheriting a team coming off a losing season, returning at most 1-2 legit P5-caliber players (Miller, Hanson, Feldhaus, Pelphrey, Farmer, Woods, J.Davis only 2 of whom averaged >4ppg the prior year), inheriting a program not allowed to be on TV which made recruiting difficult, a team which would not be allowed in the NCAA-T for the next 2 years.

Reactions: K_TIME and crestcat
Well obviously Rupp and Cal were the greatest coaches to coach here. After those 2 names Kentucky made a living off its name. Not really another good coach after those 2.
Is this a joke? Do you pretend Pitino does not exist?

You could make a case for Cal being #2 if you just based it on his performance for the first 5 years he was here. But when you factor in everything since, there's no way in hell you can rank him ahead of Pitino. Pitino never shit the bed like Cal has. He never had a 9-16 season here. He never lost in the 1st round of the tournament while coaching here. He didn't have multiple 10 loss seasons. Pitino got us rolling fast and never lifted off the accelerator. From 92 through 97, we were legit national championship contenders every season. And some of those Pitino teams didn't have half the top talent of some of Cal's teams, yet he did far more with them.

Reactions: K_TIME
Agreed...100%

Big drop to
Decent drop to Tubby

5. Tubby
6. Sutton
Big drop to Billy

Cal has been to four final fours here at UK... Plus two others at UMass and Memphis. Cal's overall resume is way better than Joe B.

I also find it funny that a whole helluva lot of Kentuckians would say... "But they were upset with mean tweets!" about a certain someone while offering their undying support (not necessarily including you in that group)... Yet we hear the disdain all the time for how Cal is an "a-hole" to the fans. Just an interesting parallel.

the reason I don't have Rupp higher is the era he coached in and he was horrid in later years
This is complete myth about Rupp faltering in his final years. Have you actually ever checked the record book on this? ********SORRY BOUT HAVING TO POST THIS WAY BUT IT IS MY ONLY OPTION AS MY POSTING PRIVILEGES ARE MYSTERIOUSLY SUSPENDED FOR THE EIGHTH TIME TODAY. RUPP PITINO CAL HALL TUBBY SUTTON ***********************THIS IS EXTREMELY FRUSTATING TO DEAL WITH LOSING POSTING PRIVILEGES ALL THROUGHOUT THE DAY TO HAVE THEM RESTORED AFTER A SHORT WAIT WITH NO RHYME OR REASON TO ANY OF IT*********************NOW THIS TIME THEY DO NOT SEEM TO BE RESTORING THEMSELVES

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT