ADVERTISEMENT

What Makes You a UK Fan?

I'm a hood at heart. Born in Michigan, raised in deepest slums of Detroit. I thought I was black until I got my drivers license. I left Michigan when I was 19. Three months after I left people swore I was born and raised in Kentucky.... I liked it. My youngest was born in E'town. Yep...spent 22 years in that area. Gone now....ask any member of my family where we're from, they'll respond...Kentucky. Sorry ya'll... :) Go Cats!

The only time that UK and Louisville played in the 50's after 1956, was in the tourny in 59.

Excuse me Naitch, I wasn't referring to the Cards and Cats playing each other. Papa was a fan of basketball and took me to games of both schools. Winters were too cold for him to take me fishing at such a young age. Those games sitting in the third row with my grand parents will always be among my favorite memories as a boy. Eating peanuts and bewildered by the spectacle. In those days, we didn't have a TV and I remember the first time seeing Fred Sawyer. I was about as tall as his knee. At the time, the only living thing I had ever seen that big were horses and circus elephants. Those wonderful early memories are also with my Papaw and Mammaw.

When I started middle school I had neighborhood friend who I played music with. His father was blue to the core. I was allowed to go over and watch the Cats with them. Back then most of the games were on delay. We would sit and listen to the games if they weren't on TV. That I guess is the reason I would almost rather listen to the radio instead of watching. My folks didn't give two cents for sports. I wasn't allowed to play sports in school. They told me it was a waste of good time. Funny thing is I still play music with the guy but he went to The Vile and lost his way. We played in a group and of the five of us three were graduates of The Vile. The fiddle player was a UL professor. They always wanted to schedule play/practice on a game night. They were plenty pissed when I left the group because of scheduling conflicts with UK Basketball. It isn't all that easy to find a good 5-string banjo picker. LOL

Excuse me Naitch, I wasn't referring to the Cards and Cats playing each other. Papa was a fan of basketball and took me to games of both schools. Winters were too cold for him to take me fishing at such a young age. Those games sitting in the third row with my grand parents will always be among my favorite memories as a boy. Eating peanuts and bewildered by the spectacle. In those days, we didn't have a TV and I remember the first time seeing Fred Sawyer. I was about as tall as his knee. At the time, the only living thing I had ever seen that big were horses and circus elephants. Those wonderful early memories are also with my Papaw and Mammaw.

Sorry, I misunderstood you. I've always called by grandparents memaw and papaw as well, but im from NC.

Reactions: _Rooster
I just am....no real story to it
I became a fan listening to cawoood when I was 8. No one will ever replace him. Most honest announcer I have ever heard, but his blood was blue. I was born in 1956 and went to my first game In 1969 with Charles Long from Booneville, Ky. Charles is close to 90 and still attends games. He is the oldest Mayor in the State of Kentucky and he bleeds blue.

Honestly, I do it to pick up chicks.

735cb82d85d170eeaede0924a3097f9b.jpg
Hey. How did you get this picture of my wife.

Born and raised in Cincinnati actually and never considered myself a fan of any particular program. My best friend was taking a college visit to Kentucky, so I decided to join her. Turns out, I am the one who fell in love with the campus and tradition and she ended up going elsewhere. My freshman year at UK was the National Championship year, and since then I have been a die hard fan. Now I don't know how I ever managed before!

You work for the government?
Seriously, I saw this banjo and immediately thought of you. :cool2:

a01bef92624b2dafa12f3f36bb8329eb.jpg
Nope! That looks like it was made to be a clawhamer banjo. I play the three finger style and the 4 string plectrum banjo. (jazz)

Reactions: _Rooster
Born in PA. I remember being 9 and my parents wanted out of the PA winters. We had a family meeting and chose between KY and NC.

Thankfully not knowing any better, we chose wisely. Moved here at 11 and was already big into sports. Easily fell in love with the Big Blue Nation. Got to see a good year or two before Sutton killed us and got us put on probation. Never waivered and haven't since. BBN for life!!

Reactions: awf
From Lexington. My stepfather worked for Jordan Construction. Thy were one of the contractors who built Rupp. in JR High Sherry Issel was our PE teacher. Lots of history. Live in NW AR now and I follow my Cats wherever they go.

Nope! That looks like it was made to be a clawhamer banjo. I play the three finger style and the 4 string plectrum banjo. (jazz)

One regret I've had the last 15 or so years is I haven't played the guitar. I have one but it sits as a piece of furniture on display. I used to sing a little and make music but that part of me seems distant though I have tons of ideas in my head. Darn

One regret I've had the last 15 or so years is I haven't played the guitar. I have one but it sits as a piece of furniture on display. I used to sing a little and make music but that part of me seems distant though I have tons of ideas in my head. Darn

Get on YouTube and learn. If I would have had YouTube when I was a youngster I would have been a white Jimmy Hendrix or another Earl Scruggs. Now that I am retired I spend several hours a day playing/learning music. Next year I plan on going to one music festival a month. I love to sing but can't really. That is why I love going to bluegrass festivals. They don't care if you can carry a tune or not. I have also got to jam with some great musicians. One year I camped next to the Nickle Creek band. We played music all night long. I drank Makers and played music while Lou Reed sang Cry Cry Darling at the festival at the Ky Horse Park years ago. There is nothing like being able to play a song with a group of complete strangers and making good music. I have had chances to play with groups that play for hire. I don't want a job, I just
like to play for shitz and grins. Pick up that guitar. I sit and practice while watching the CATS play.

Reactions: BBUK
Get on YouTube and learn. If I would have had YouTube when I was a youngster I would have been a white Jimmy Hendrix or another Earl Scruggs. Now that I am retired I spend several hours a day playing/learning music. Next year I plan on going to one music festival a month. I love to sing but can't really. That is why I love going to bluegrass festivals. They don't care if you can carry a tune or not. I have also got to jam with some great musicians. One year I camped next to the Nickle Creek band. We played music all night long. I drank Makers and played music while Lou Reed sang Cry Cry Darling at the festival at the Ky Horse Park years ago. There is nothing like being able to play a song with a group of complete strangers and making good music. I have had chances to play with groups that play for hire. I don't want a job, I just
like to play for shitz and grins. Pick up that guitar. I sit and practice while watching the CATS play.

Not sure I conveyed it but I can sing and play... I just haven't....hence my regret...

I grew up in Northwest Tennessee and our NBC station was WPSD out of Paducah, and in the late 70s through the 80s they showed most of UK's games. So, I grew up watching the Cats. When I played ball on our little court beside our house, I was Kyle Macy, then Jim Master, and so on.

Reactions: KYtotheCore
UK. A place which changed my life. I was already a fan since I was 8, but that is what really did it. It didn't hurt that we won a national title my junior year. BTW OP, nice image and a very accurate one.

Father was born in Fredonia, KY. All my relatives on my fathers side are UK fans. Every family vacation was to Fredonia, Princeton, or Paducah. Grew up watching every UK game we could get here in Texas. Last game my father and I watched together was "the shot". He passed the following year. My wife got me back into UK basketball with some tickets to the 05 Michigan State game that we lost in OT. I've been traveling across the country ever since catching games. I missed a good stretch of games so I have a bunch of catching up to do. :)

Reactions: KYtotheCore and awf
I was born and mostly raised in the DC area, spent most of my life not thinking about Kentucky at all. When I got to college searching I heard that Kentucky had a really strong program in my desired field. I loved the area and was offered a big scholarship, so I decided to go to UK starting in Fall 2008. Now I wouldn't trade UK for anything.

Reactions: KYtotheCore and awf
By birth-right. Born & raised in Allen Co (south of Bowling Green). My older brother was a fan in late 70's / early 80's. I didn't catch on until the 83 season when I was about 13. So I remember watching the Dream Game, but I became a huge fan the following year (Twin Towers). Diehard fan ever since.
Watched on tv or listened to on radio, and kept the stats, to every possible game from 84-91 (when I graduated from WKU). Went to grad school at UK, where I went to every home game, and 1 UK/IU game in Hoosier Dome.
I have lived in ACC-land the past 20 years, just minutes from NC St, UNC & Duke. But we've gone to 3-4 UK games in Chapel Hill and 3 in Columbia. My oldest (14) is a huge UK fan, and my youngest (10) is getting there. Taking my family to their first game in Rupp in January vs Ark. I can count on 2 hands (maybe 1) the number of watchable games I've missed in 30+ years.

Baby I was born this way. Eastern KY born and raised. Still reside here in Pike county and I just might die here.

My old man raised me right by indoctrinating me to like the cats. I always loved basketball and I just got more and more obsessed as the years went by.

My cousin and I are weeks apart in age and we grew up together. We are both diehard fans who never miss a game. At this point it's just a way of life for us. Most things are centered around our team. I think about this shit 24/7.
When I bow my head to pray in church. Cats. When I lay down at night. Cats. When I'm at work. Cats.

I'm also indoctrinating my four year old because it's a family tradition. People can say oh family and blah blah and blah matter but damn it this matter to me too!

Had no choice....born that way! (see below)

Dirk Minniefield, Sam Bowie, Sky Walker, relatives graduated from UK & IU fans and Bobby Knight are assbags.

Back when I was a kid, one day I has hanging out in the playground with one of my homeboys Big Nate. This group of tough, older kids came walking by and one was holding a basketball. He shouted over at me and said, hey kid, what team do you like?

I answered with the only team I knew. I said the Kentucky Wildcats. That tall kid with the ball smiled and said cool, they're the best team there is. He asked did we want to come and hang out and shoot some hoops. I thought to myself then, it's good to be a Kentucky Wildcat fan. :cool:

23t5vgi.jpg

My brother who posts on here could tell his part of this better but I will attempt. Was born in Ga but moved to KY (Paducah) when I was 4 (he was 11). He hated UK (to him they were the NY Yankees of college BB). He went to college in 61 and at some point became close friends with 2 guys, 1 an Ohio St fan and the other Cincy (if you remember, both were very good at that time). They constantly bragged on their teams and ragged Kentucky (both the school and the state IIRC) and out of self defense he began to brag on UK. He came home for Xmas Cotton's senior year and got me listening to Claude Sullivan. Became a die hard the year before the Runts and have been so ever since.

My brother who posts on here could tell his part of this better but I will attempt. Was born in Ga but moved to KY (Paducah) when I was 4 (he was 11). He hated UK (to him they were the NY Yankees of college BB). He went to college in 61 and at some point became close friends with 2 guys, 1 an Ohio St fan and the other Cincy (if you remember, both were very good at that time). They constantly bragged on their teams and ragged Kentucky (both the school and the state IIRC) and out of self defense he began to brag on UK. He came home for Xmas Cotton's senior year and got me listening to Claude Sullivan. Became a die hard the year before the Runts and have been so ever since.
Who is your brother?

I understood your wording Rooster, that you went to both UK and Ul games.

Who is your brother?
So when a mommy and a daddy have private time, the mommy sometimes gets pregnant. His brother would be a male related to him as a result of the private time(sometimes called getting dresed, talking, taking a nap, discussing you/the kids, going to bed early).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT