ADVERTISEMENT

What I've heard over the last week (COACH)...

Johnson is a 6'8" player that busted his ass for 3 years in a major conference to get to where he is today.

A guy that averaged 12 ppg (13ppg in the ACC) on a team dominated by 2 SR bigs that were the focal point of the entire offense while averaging 18ppg+. He is a great interior defender. He shot 42% from 3 and 82% from FT. He led his team in steals and graduated in 3 years with a 3.9 GPA.

He could very well be the next Kyle Korver who put up similar stats as a SO, and ended up being a consensus AA. I see him as being that great or better if his trajectory continues.

Lots of players take time to develop, which is different than what we have seen with Cal always having elite FR.

I'm certainly not his cousin or one of the 16 mostly major conference teams to contact him after he announced he was transferring. Would schools like Michigan and Florida do that for a player that won't see many minutes? I don't think so.

I don't understand why I have to defend Cameron Johnson. Look at his numbers and how hard he has worked. Consider the fact that Calipari wants him so badly. If he were a backup at best, why would Calipari pursue Cam instead of a top 50 FR like Mark Smith?

It's because Cam will be an EXCELLENT player no matter where he ends up and start from day 1.

Don't take my word for it. Just wait and see how wrong I am when the season starts.

I also end each comment with the following phrase, all in my worthless opinion as always...

Opinion... I can have mine and you can have yours, but it's coming to the point that I'm being insulted for explaining what kind of player he is. I went back and watched several of his games from last year and formed an opinion. Feel free to do the same. I REALLY doubt that you will see him as nothing more than a role player...

But if you do, that's cool, and I'm glad you formed your own opinion on him, and how much he will contribute with another years experience under his belt, after considering how far he has come since his true FR year.

I agree with all of this, but don't you think that if a 6'8 SG had elite talent he would be heading to the draft after 3 years?

Reactions: wentzel25 and BBUK
brianpoe,

No. He doesn't possess the quickness to be able to guard "NBA 2s" at this time. Despite lacking in that area, I would definitively consider him as an elite talent. It is not like he is a slow lumbering players by any means. He wouldn't have any problem guarding the 2-5 in college, he just doesn't have the off the charts athleticism and quickness desired these days by scouts to be able to guard a NBA SG & be a legitimate NBA prospect at this time. Is a college tweener. Bit too slow to be a NBA 2, Bit too small of a frame to be a NBA 3.

With 2 years left and the way he has continued to improve, I am sure that those will be 2 things that he works on non stop before ended up with a NBA career. Korver has been in the NBA for 18 years scoring over 10 ppg and shooting over 40% from 3 without playing much defense after playing 4 years in college at Creighton. Johnson could potentially see a similar career. Maybe even better with 2 years under Cal, helping him improve in those areas that NBA scouts aren't sold on yet.

brianpoe,

No. He doesn't possess the quickness to be able to guard "NBA 2s" at this time. Despite lacking in that area, I would definitively consider him as an elite talent. It is not like he is a slow lumbering players by any means. He wouldn't have any problem guarding the 2-5 in college, he just doesn't have the off the charts athleticism and quickness desired these days by scouts to be able to guard a NBA SG & be a legitimate NBA prospect at this time. Is a college tweener. Bit too slow to be a NBA 2, Bit too small of a frame to be a NBA 3.

With 2 years left and the way he has continued to improve, I am sure that those will be 2 things that he works on non stop before ended up with a NBA career. Korver has been in the NBA for 18 years scoring over 10 ppg and shooting over 40% from 3 without playing much defense after playing 4 years in college at Creighton. Johnson could potentially see a similar career. Maybe even better with 2 years under Cal, helping him improve in those areas that NBA scouts aren't sold on yet.

Korver was an excellent college player - a Naismith and Wooden finalist his senior year - which would be this year for Cam who may not even start for us.

Korver was a 45% career 3pt shooter, hit 48% his senior year. He lead his team to the NCAA every year and was blanketed every game.

Cam was never blanketed as the sole provider of offense and yet he managed 2pts, 3pts, and 3pts vs UL twice and Duke once. He had a great game the first time they played UNC.

It is yet to be seen how well Cam can guard a 2, hopefully he can.

Cam is already 21, he will be 23 when he graduates - doubtful an NBA team ever drafts him, although he may be be picked up eventually.

And think back how long ago 2003 was...compared to today. Difficult to compare players over a decade, not to mention Corver could create his own shot, he had to.

All that said, I hope you are right, if he does sign with us and is great.

I'll drink to that, brianpoe!

While I expect more from him under Calipari than that, there's no way he doesn't turn us into a much better team overall.

Reactions: brianpoe
I'll drink to that, brianpoe!

While I expect more from him under Calipari than that, there's no way he doesn't turn us into a much better team overall.

As much I don't expect all around greatness with Cam, his shooting could prove invaluable to this squad and open the floor. I'm with you 100% in that he offers a much needed aspect that is our most obvious question mark.

Reactions: EclipsingYou
Korver was an excellent college player - a Naismith and Wooden finalist his senior year - which would be this year for Cam who may not even start for us.

Korver was a 45% career 3pt shooter, hit 48% his senior year. He lead his team to the NCAA every year and was blanketed every game.

Cam was never blanketed as the sole provider of offense and yet he managed 2pts, 3pts, and 3pts vs UL twice and Duke once. He had a great game the first time they played UNC.

It is yet to be seen how well Cam can guard a 2, hopefully he can.

Cam is already 21, he will be 23 when he graduates - doubtful an NBA team ever drafts him, although he may be be picked up eventually.

And think back how long ago 2003 was...compared to today. Difficult to compare players over a decade, not to mention Corver could create his own shot, he had to.

All that said, I hope you are right, if he does sign with us and is great.

Kyle Wiltjer.....This is how I like to look and compare Cam Johnson's role for next season. Kyle was by far the least athletic player on that great 2012 team. With all the talent and athleticism his role was to come in, get open, and knock down shots. From what I've seen from Johnson he's more athletic than Kyle. We're going to have the talent (maybe not 2012 talent) around him to make his shooting ability a major factor in opening up and spreading that defense out. Also as much as Cal likes to run up and down the court he'll be a perfect spot up shooter in transition. I think he and Cal both know he's not going to come in and start. I see him playing a role similar as Wiltjer in 2012. If he is willing to accept and buy in to that role, I think that will be huge in filling a hole this team needs next season.

Reactions: brianpoe
Kyle Wiltjer.....This is how I like to look and compare Cam Johnson's role for next season. Kyle was by far the least athletic player on that great 2012 team. With all the talent and athleticism his role was to come in, get open, and knock down shots. From what I've seen from Johnson he's more athletic than Kyle. We're going to have the talent (maybe not 2012 talent) around him to make his shooting ability a major factor in opening up and spreading that defense out. Also as much as Cal likes to run up and down the court he'll be a perfect spot up shooter in transition. I think he and Cal both know he's not going to come in and start. I see him playing a role similar as Wiltjer in 2012. If he is willing to accept and buy in to that role, I think that will be huge in filling a hole this team needs next season.
Cam is much more athletic than Wiltjer.

MUCH more athletic than Wiltjer. Think Korver or a more athletic Willis, or the next Wally Sczcerbiak is he continues improving as much as he has from a true FR.

There's a throw back name for you!

Last edited:
The big knock on this kid is his effort on defense. Can't imagine Cal putting up with that however. Maybe Cal can turn him into a capable defender. With his height alone, smaller quicker guards will have problems shooting over him, they'll have to go around him - where they would meet up with a frontline made up of some assortment of Bamba, Richards, Vando, Washington, etc. Good luck with that.

Reactions: Scrub_100
He's probably going to contribute about the same amount as Mulder. Think Derek Jasper. I don't think he and Jasper have identical games but that's probably what u can expect.
Remember guys,not everyone can contribute here. Wiltjer was irrelevant here and an all American elsewhere. Same for skal. If you can't play as u are expected, you won't get the chance
Remember he redshirted at Pitt just 2 years ago. Says alot

OP seems to be right a lot. He got this one wrong. These kids change their minds. It happens.

The way it went down, I can't help but wonder if something happened that made Bam feel like he had to get the money now as opposed to a year from now.

I like Cam a lot myself. He's not an elite athlete but that definitely doesn't mean that he's not a great player. From what I have seen and admittedly, that's not a great deal although I have went back and watched some of his games, I think he can provide a much larger role here next year. It all depends on what the roster looks like next year and as we all know, that's in limbo at the moment and may stay in limbo for several weeks more. Until that is worked out, it's really hard to say what type of role Cam would play here but I think it could be a significant role, especially if Diallo leaves and we miss on Knox and Smith. Who knows about Diallo but it's not looking good for Knox or Smith at the moment considering Smith is announcing Wednesday and will not take his visit to Lexington. Even with Diallo, I think Cam plays a significant role next year and averages quite a bit of court time. His shooting and leadership intangibles will be greatly needed with an entirely brand new roster in the backcourt. I won't say that Cam is an elite talent but I think he can play in the league with his skill set and a couple years here. He may not get drafted at that age but I like his chances to find a spot somewhere. I think his athleticism for his size and position has held his NBA dreams from happening as of yet but he can definitely be a great college player without having the NBA knocking down his door. Some of our best players and some of our UK legends have been that type of college player. Jeff Shepherd comes to mind when I think of great UK players who never had the NBA knocking down their door, yet had an extremely great career here. He can be a very valuable asset to our team without being an draft pick, even a Final Four MVP like Shepherd.

Sign him up! I'll take that all day long.

He's probably going to contribute about the same amount as Mulder. Think Derek Jasper. I don't think he and Jasper have identical games but that's probably what u can expect.
Remember guys,not everyone can contribute here. Wiltjer was irrelevant here and an all American elsewhere. Same for skal. If you can't play as u are expected, you won't get the chance
Remember he redshirted at Pitt just 2 years ago. Says alot

Wiltjer was not irrelevant here. He made some shots his frosh year, hit some 3's in the tourney and played his small role well. His second year he started and put up double digits. Let's not act like he would not have had every chance in the world to have built on that in 2013-2014, but he was lazy and would not play D or put in effort and time here.

Reactions: G-PIP
Good call on Bam, OP. Solid sources.

Your post is excellent as well [poop]

Can't understand why people knock posters that give a little information. Most are just passing on what they hear, which many appreciate
But there some that post here, that apparently have NEVER been wrong.............must be nice to be perfect

Your post is excellent as well [poop]

Can't understand why people knock posters that give a little information. Most are just passing on what they hear, which many appreciate
But there some that post here, that apparently have NEVER been wrong.............must be nice to be perfect

Oh hell, lighten up, cream puff. I was just ribbing the guy a little since his sources were Bam's Mom and a NBA person that he's friends with. If what the OP said is true, then I guess Coach Cal made sure Bam hired an agent.

Last edited:
I appreciate folks like @CoachX11 and @ralphdaltonfan that share information with us when they don't have to and are willing to put their name behind it. It's not difficult to tell those who actually have connections and those who don't if you're actually paying attention to their track records. That doesn't mean the source is going to have correct info or the inside track in every instance.

I appreciate folks like @CoachX11 and @ralphdaltonfan that share information with us when they don't have to and are willing to put their name behind it. It's not difficult to tell those who actually have connections and those who don't if you're actually paying attention to their track records. That doesn't mean the source is going to have correct info or the inside track in every instance.
Exactly. What their told isn't going to happen all the time. Common sense. Obviously they have connections and I love reading the gossip whether it happens or not.

The big knock on this kid is his effort on defense. Can't imagine Cal putting up with that however. Maybe Cal can turn him into a capable defender. With his height alone, smaller quicker guards will have problems shooting over him, they'll have to go around him - where they would meet up with a frontline made up of some assortment of Bamba, Richards, Vando, Washington, etc. Good luck with that.

Defense is 80% effort, 20% athletic ability. If you don't put in the effort on defense (unless you are other-worldly on offense) then you won't play. Plain & simple. Message should be gotten pretty quickly. I'm not concerned about that.

Reactions: G-PIP

as do I. There used to be several more that would drop some tidbits, but they got tired of all of the crap when something didn't happen exactly as they had heard

Here is what I've heard over the last week or so...

I'm not predicting the following, but here is my best guess on where things stand on some topics...

1. Knox- Latest buzz has been Duke has been coming strong. I think it's Duke/UNC/UK in that order right now.

2. Bamba- UK until I hear something credible enough to change my mind. Mo really likes Shaka that is why you hear some Texas stuff. Writers take that and run, well Texas is also leaking that.

3. Cam Johnson- Pitt guy is still set for UK. Florida is fall back plan right now. Good player, question if there is room.

The BIG ONE...

4. Big Bam Abedeyo- I've heard by someone close to him, he's coming back to UK unless his stock increases here soon.

Now, this a single source on that end, but a good one. Mom in on board with a second year now, both looking big picture.

What I do know is that people around UK has contacted multiple NBA teams about whether they think he'd be around early 2nd round. Basically looking for a guarantee that he's a first rounder.

If he starts working out for some of the scrub teams, then they're preparing for a 2nd round slot. If he's working out mainly with playoff teams then he's probably in the 20's.

Feedback is right now, is that he's late 1 (probably)... It's a tough call. Mom loves Coach Cal and trusts him. Coach Cal is doing everything possible for Bam to get him a locked 1st round.

^ All this is coming from NBA front office person I'm friends with and has taken a call.

@ralphdaltonfan I like how we have different information from different sides of things...

Well, I was wrong on Bam in the end. One person who spoke to me about Bam maybe staying had to do with several NBA agents not being able to sign him.

I also know of one agent that recommended Bam to go back to UK.

The other person I discussed about Bam is an NBA front office personnel that received a phone call asking for a draft range and whether they'd be interested in him. This team is currently in the playoffs.

It's not unlike NBA teams to give a gentlemen's agreement to draft a player, although it's a little early in the process for that.

Other than that, I think FL getting a different transfer may have taken them out of the Johnson sweepstakes.

LOL.

You're an example of a reason why several people I know don't post on here or other boards.

Yes, my intel wasn't accurate but the NBA side of things made me think he was really thinking about staying.

Good. If they're so confident that they're not wrong, they shouldn't have anything to worry about. At least you came back and proved that you didn't just drop a load of crap on us all like many others have done in the past.

Good. If they're so confident that they're not wrong, they shouldn't have anything to worry about. At least you came back and proved that you didn't just drop a load of crap on us all like many others have done in the past.

I respect that.

Just know that the more people complain on free "not for public" intel, the less people are going to get.

To be clear: My information was wrong from my end in terms of what happened. I was wrong on how I read into it and what people told me.

It happens, you have to sort through agenda, lies, opinions, etc to find the real answers.

Last edited:
LOL.

You're an example of a reason why several people I know don't post on here or other boards.

Yes, my intel wasn't accurate but the NBA side of things made me think he was really thinking about staying.

Don't let a few turds keep you from sharing what you hear. You've definitely proven you get good info. I'd also add that you posted your info before Bam's trip back home over the weekend. I think that's when he decided to stay in the draft and get an agent. jmo

I respect that.

Just know that the more complain on free "not for public" intel, the less people are going to get.

To be clear: My information was wrong from my end in terms of what happened. I was wrong on how I read into it and what people told me.

It happens, you have to sort through agenda, lies, opinions, etc to find the real answers.

Man..you don't have to explain anything. You coming back proved you're legit. I was just giving you a hard time in a sarcastic joke type of way because I thought we all may have been had like we have so many times before by trolls, fakes, etc..and just for a joke in general..but thin skins like "spotter34" and such are just so damn sensitive..lol But I'm sure you and your connections are the real deal. Shit happens sometimes though.

Don't let a few turds keep you from sharing what you hear. You've definitely proven you get good info. I'd also add that you posted your info before Bam's trip back home over the weekend. I think that's when he decided to stay in the draft and get an agent. jmo

Back home with Momma could have changed things... I didn't realize he went back home before he made up his mind.

UK fans are so knowledgeable.

I'm sure you all also know that Bam comes from really humble beginnings. Money will be life changing for his family.

Back home with Momma could have changed things... I didn't realize he went back home before he made up his mind.

UK fans are so knowledgeable.

I'm sure you all also know that Bam comes from really humble beginnings. Money will be life changing for his family.

Thanks again Coach. You the man

ADVERTISEMENT